Lost Voice Alerts

 

For years I've used voice alerts with a few of my POI files on my 2555LMT.

Following the recent updates, all my alerts work but with a chime only, no voice alerts.

My POI and audio file names match. SOX is in the POI Loader directory.

Has Garmin changed anything?

Not...

RayHff wrote:

For years I've used voice alerts with a few of my POI files on my 2555LMT.

Following the recent updates, all my alerts work but with a chime only, no voice alerts.

My POI and audio file names match. SOX is in the POI Loader directory.

Has Garmin changed anything?

...that I'm aware of. I downloaded the recent maps and related updates on 3 units and I am not experiencing any issues at all.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

No alerts

RayHff wrote:

For years I've used voice alerts with a few of my POI files on my 2555LMT.

Following the recent updates, all my alerts work but with a chime only, no voice alerts.

My POI and audio file names match. SOX is in the POI Loader directory.

Has Garmin changed anything?

Based on your post,everything worked before the update? Try this,go to your settings on the GPS, then Language and Keyboard. Touch Voice Language and check to make sure check mark in your selected voice.If everything is OK recheck the sox.exe location. http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25730

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Oh oh, should I be worried?

Hmm, I have custom audio alerts set for four files (speed cameras, redlight cameras, rest areas combined USA, and stink alerts) and all have worked in the past.

I just checked my various Garmin devices and for the newer models, I expected that if I tapped Custom POIs, then one of the above files, selected a location, then tap the letter "i" in the black circle, I'd be taken to a display of the alert with the custom icon on a map and I could tap the Play Audio to hear the custom wav alert file to confirm that all is well.

What I just found which is after this latest map update is that I do have my custom audio alert for the stink areas POIs via a Play Audio button, but the expected "Play Audio" button (after tapping the "i" circle) is gone for the rest areas combined USA and for both speed and redlight alerts. I'm not sure if I should expect a Play Audio for the speed and redlights but for sure, I expected a Play Audio for the Rest Areas and it's not there. I may need to do some simulated routes or go out for a drive past some rest areas tomorrow and see if I've lost some expected audio alerts.

I'm not going to panic yet but I am worried at the lack of a Play Audio button for my Rest Areas if it means that I also have the issue that RayHff reports here. Even odder is that I do have the Play Audio for one of my four custom POI files and the custom audio is there but that the other three POI files with custom audio alerts may be gone.

My results

charlesd45 wrote:

Based on your post,everything worked before the update? Try this,go to your settings on the GPS, then Language and Keyboard. Touch Voice Language and check to make sure check mark in your selected voice.If everything is OK recheck the sox.exe location.

charlesd45, after posting my reply then seeing your reply, I checked my DriveLuxe 51 and my chosen TTS voice, Text language and Keyboard are all unchanged and what I had expected.

And yes, I'm using my same PC with the same csv, gpx, bmp and wav files and the same POI Loader and sox as before.

Does my missing Play Audio button for my Rest Areas Combined USA concern you as it does me?

It's certainly odd if related to a map update. confused

Alert tab

CraigW wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Based on your post,everything worked before the update? Try this,go to your settings on the GPS, then Language and Keyboard. Touch Voice Language and check to make sure check mark in your selected voice.If everything is OK recheck the sox.exe location.

charlesd45, after posting my reply then seeing your reply, I checked my DriveLuxe 51 and my chosen TTS voice, Text language and Keyboard are all unchanged and what I had expected.

And yes, I'm using my same PC with the same csv, gpx, bmp and wav files and the same POI Loader and sox as before.

Does my missing Play Audio button for my Rest Areas Combined USA concern you as it does me?

I have not done the new map update yet. I checked my rest area file because I was confused about the Play Audio Tab you posted.I show the alert information but no tab to test the wav file.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Wav files

I have not done the new map update yet. I checked my rest area file because I was confused about the Play Audio Tab you posted.I show the alert information but no tab to test the wav file.

Method I use to check my wav files is go to my POI file on the computer and click the wav file to hear the playback.

When I got my new computer, first thing I forgot was to install the sox.exe file.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Fingers crossed

charlesd45 wrote:

I have not done the new map update yet. I checked my rest area file because I was confused about the Play Audio Tab you posted.I show the alert information but no tab to test the wav file.

Method I use to check my wav files is go to my POI file on the computer and click the wav file to hear the playback.

When I got my new computer, first thing I forgot was to install the sox.exe file.

My fingers are crossed that my devices will continue to offer my custom audio alerts.

I do wonder why some custom audio POI alerts offer the Play Audio button and others don't.

Voice Alert Regained

My Garmin has always worked well with MP3 voice alert files.

With this problem, I thought let's try WAV files instead.

For whatever reason, while the MP3 voice alert files no longer work, WAV alert files now do.

Go figger ?!?!?!?

Nuvi 2555

I am not sure how you would have ever been able to make MP3 file alerts work on a nuvi 2555. According to the published spec's, the nuvi 2555 does not have a MP3 player (unless it was some hidden feature you could enable?). In any case, I am glad you figured it out and have it working again.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

You're Absolutely Right

To: alandb

Thank you.

Number one, you're absolutely correct.
Number two, I'm bad.

I erroneously loaded MP3 files from a NUVI 350 and did not catch my own mistake. Then I made the assumption that Garmin changed something. Switching back to the correct WAV files that I previously used, everything ovbviously worked.

Whew

RayHff wrote:

To: alandb

Thank you.

Number one, you're absolutely correct.
Number two, I'm bad.

I erroneously loaded MP3 files from a NUVI 350 and did not catch my own mistake. Then I made the assumption that Garmin changed something. Switching back to the correct WAV files that I previously used, everything ovbviously worked.

Whew, I can breathe freely again.

Wav files

RayHff wrote:

To: alandb

Thank you.

Number one, you're absolutely correct.
Number two, I'm bad.

I erroneously loaded MP3 files from a NUVI 350 and did not catch my own mistake. Then I made the assumption that Garmin changed something. Switching back to the correct WAV files that I previously used, everything ovbviously worked.

Glad to see you are good to go now.Using the process for the Nuvi 2555 for loading wav files. Do the same for the 350 then you only have to keep with one file to load with POI Loader.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

And ...

thanks for being honest … sometimes that is rare in forums (but thankfully common in this one.) smile

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon