In dash GPS wins, well yesterday it did

 

I have an in dash Garmin based GPS (430n) in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler. It works as expected and POI's can be loaded, albeit painfully. However my DriveSmart 61 GPS is eons head of the 430n for most things. I say most things.

Yesterday wifey and I were out and about in the Jeep in our home base area running errands. Since we pretty much know the area we wouldn't have set up our stand alone GPS for any of the trips.

Twice however, we ran in to (not normal) backed up traffic, accident related. With a push of a button my onboard GPS was ready to go and I was able to see my way around the problems on the zig zagging local roads which saved a lot of time.

It is this type situation, knowing the general area so a stand alone would not have already been set up, but needing instant access to the surrounding streets, the in dash unit is perfect for. Now before you say Google Maps on the phone, for that, for me, I would have to pull over get my reading glasses out, load the app and hit and zoom etc, with the in dash it was one button push and I was able to keep moving.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer my DS 61 for most routed driving. But in a I need it quick situation, the in dash can't be beat.

Sadly though, it's probably the only time the in dash wins. The in dash units are almost always behind the times map set and feature wise, as well as not offering free updates, in fact the updates can cost more than a stand alone new.

When I bought the Jeep I was insistent it have in dash GPS. If I knew then what I know now about on board GPS I may not have been so insistent, Today, I was glad I was.

If the in dash units ever catch up to the standalones with similar features and free (current) maps, I'd be instant again, the next time I buy a new car, if there is a next time.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Agreed

I ran into a similar situation last year. I always carry a Garmin in my pickup either on the dash or in the console. My wife does not. I was using her Suzuki with in dash nav system and encountered a wreck on I-81. While not great, it was better than nothing. It did route me around the problem and saved me a good hour.

In all fairness, this scenario should be included in future posts on the subject of in dash or standalone GPS units. The in dash is always with you.

yup

bdhsfz6 wrote:

~snip~

In all fairness, this scenario should be included in future posts on the subject of in dash or standalone GPS units. The in dash is always with you.

... loaded, ready to show you the area with the single touch of a button.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Not all

Soberbyker, If you have the re-routing capability on your Garmin based unit you are lucky, my Garmin based unit does not. So in your case Chrysler must have specified that feature.

The only good thing I can say about my built in, is that if it gives an instruction it automatically overrides the stereo.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT Retired now, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

???

Melaqueman wrote:

Soberbyker, If you have the re-routing capability on your Garmin based unit you are lucky, my Garmin based unit does not. So in your case Chrysler must have specified that feature.

The only good thing I can say about my built in, is that if it gives an instruction it automatically overrides the stereo.

Honestly I'm not sure if I backed off the map screen if there is a "detour" button like some of the stand alone GPS's I've had with a route programmed in.

The scenario I was talking about in the OP was not a route, nothing programmed. The map wasn't on the screen, a radio station info was, but once I needed it, one button touch and the map was on the screen. I used the screen like I would a paper map, to "see" the surrounding area and thereby plotting my way through mentally. Knowing the basic area I knew how far of a parallel route I needed to take through the zig zagging streets to re-enter the main road to continue on our way.

Oh and the auto mute feature you mention is awesome, I can listen to radio at any level and not miss a direction.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

I still think my Flip Tray in Nissan Frontier is the best

It accepts 7XX-8XX Nuvi's, just wish Garmin would make new models to fit it

I recently conveyed the story...

...of my built-in unit leading me into a driveway somewhere out in Indiana at 0400 in the morning. Had to whip out the iPhone and punch in the address that I was looking in Google Maps. It was interesting pulling into some farmers driveway and having the in-dash unit telling you to turn right. rolleyes

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

My guess

maddog67 wrote:

.. It was interesting pulling into some farmers driveway and having the in-dash unit telling you to turn right. rolleyes

That's probably where the farmers daughter was?

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT Retired now, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

I hadn’t thought about it...

...but you are probably right.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Stand alone GPS

In response to the original post, a stand alone GPS would do the same thing (show surrounding streets) as it has a map mode when not programmed.

missed the point

bsp131 wrote:

In response to the original post, a stand alone GPS would do the same thing (show surrounding streets) as it has a map mode when not programmed.

Yes it would, I use mine at work like that all week long, but the point was, the stand alone was tucked away in my work backpack in the backseat of my Jeep. I was in a fairly familiar area to travel through, but didn't know the surrounding streets. The indash was ready to view in less than 5 seconds to get me around the problem. Using the stand alone would have meant stopping and setting it up.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

for you

maddog67 wrote:

...of my built-in unit leading me into a driveway somewhere out in Indiana at 0400 in the morning. Had to whip out the iPhone and punch in the address that I was looking in Google Maps. It was interesting pulling into some farmers driveway and having the in-dash unit telling you to turn right. rolleyes

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/a395aca8-a381-...

https://walkingthefenceline.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/your...

https://static.neatorama.com/images/2011-04/your-gps-is-wron...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DADN0XoXkAEk8RZ.jpg

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1625206/812161...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Both and Then Some (One)

I go with a triple threat system. Drives the wife crazy, but that's just a fringe benefit wink.

In-dash GPS zoomed out to maybe 7-10 miles in view, with traffic showing. No routing.

Garmin 2460 zoomed at about 2-4 miles. No routing, but speaker on for speedtrap and RLC POI warnings.

Waze running on phone, with routing active for long trips, no routing for short trips. Good warnings for cops (and cameras).

Not saying I intentionally speed. Just nice to not get in trouble if accidentally speeding.

not

not trying to be funny because I rented a Jeep Wrangler and had to head to Richmond VA. I was trying to change the orientation of the built in nav, so that the map was oriented north, not the driving direction. Is that even possible?

North = up. Why?

johnnatash4 wrote:

not trying to be funny because I rented a Jeep Wrangler and had to head to Richmond VA. I was trying to change the orientation of the built in nav, so that the map was oriented north, not the driving direction. Is that even possible?

I can't find anything online to help you but I have to ask why do this (north = up)? That seems so unnatural to me as compared to having the driving direction be up.

One possibility, pull into a Jeep dealer and ask. But then every renter moving forward will likely curse you (or Jeep). smile

--
John from PA

I always use North Up. I

I always use North Up. I want to see naturally what's around me and it's relationship. 3D does not show this.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Agreed

I hate 3D but prefer direction up to north up wink

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

You should be able to click on the 'N' or compass symbol

johnnatash4 wrote:

not trying to be funny because I rented a Jeep Wrangler and had to head to Richmond VA. I was trying to change the orientation of the built in nav, so that the map was oriented north, not the driving direction. Is that even possible?

You should be able to click on the 'N' or compass symbol on the map to change the heading-up orientation to a North-up orientation. Most people prefer to have their map oriented so regardless of the actual direction they are heading it is always heading up on the map.

The symbol should indicate whether the map orientation is set to north-up or heading-up. Selecting the symbol changes the map orientation. Both north-up and heading-up symbols display the vehicles direction as a letter (e.g. N for north or W for west).

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

Well, I didn't see one of these,

soberbyker wrote:
maddog67 wrote:

...of my built-in unit leading me into a driveway somewhere out in Indiana at 0400 in the morning. Had to whip out the iPhone and punch in the address that I was looking in Google Maps. It was interesting pulling into some farmers driveway and having the in-dash unit telling you to turn right. rolleyes

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/a395aca8-a381-...

https://walkingthefenceline.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/your...

https://static.neatorama.com/images/2011-04/your-gps-is-wron...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DADN0XoXkAEk8RZ.jpg

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1625206/812161...

but it may have been nice to have one when the blacktop ended and the gravel started. (I do like the way the person spelled guaranteed on the one sign.) grin

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

not sure

johnnatash4 wrote:

not trying to be funny because I rented a Jeep Wrangler and had to head to Richmond VA. I was trying to change the orientation of the built in nav, so that the map was oriented north, not the driving direction. Is that even possible?

For the year of my Jeep, there were two versions of in dash Navigation, the one I opted for, was less expensive and a Garmin which I was familiar with. It's the 430n, and when turned on it shows a Garmin splash screen. I don't recall who the more expensive one was made by.

That said I never thought about and the next time I am in the Jeep I'll hopefully remember to hunt around for it.

Personally I like the 'top' of the map to show me what's coming up no matter which way I turn.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Not me

phranc wrote:

I always use North Up. I want to see naturally what's around me and it's relationship. 3D does not show this.

I feel the 3D is as if I'm looking out of the windshield ahead of me which I think is more natural than north up.
But to each his own, however it is.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT Retired now, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

North 2 - Ahead 1

Northup on in-dash and Garmin standalone. Heading-up on phone-Waze.

I do the Same

perpster wrote:

Northup on in-dash and Garmin standalone. Heading-up on phone-Waze.

I find the map shows more detail in north up mode. The scale is also distorted in 3D.

Marketing all those "Added Features"

I buy a GPS to navigate travel, not make coffee, play chess with and so on. I like my Flip Tray because I can take in house to update or change things on Computer rather the use "Smart Phone" battery and small screen, tiny keys. Lifetime Free versus $199 per year on Wife's Juke In Dash