Vehicles with Lifetime GPS Maps

 

I am thinking about getting a new truck soon and I am wondering if any of the manufacturers of 1 ton pickups have GPS with lifetime maps. Currently my Ford wants $150 for an update which I refuse to pay.

I would also like to be able to upload POIs.

--
John B - Garmin 765T

Seems To Be The Norm ...

John.jcb wrote:

I am thinking about getting a new truck soon and I am wondering if any of the manufacturers of 1 ton pickups have GPS with lifetime maps. Currently my Ford wants $150 for an update which I refuse to pay.

I would also like to be able to upload POIs.

In 2013 I bought a Jeep (Chrysler) with a built in Garmin based GPS and every year they want (offer) me to buy a new mapset for $149.

I've done it once, very complicated process too (updating), won't do it again. Another reason I still have a stand alone GPS with LMT that cost less than their yearly updates.

However, the convenience of having a GPS ready to go at the push of a button, as opposed to leaving one in the open ready, is a huge plus for those times you run into a problem in an area you've been through a million times but do not know the surrounding area to get a round a problem.

If you live in a still developing area, you might want to just keep a standalone unit at hand, if not and you don't mind the map being old it is a nice feature to have.

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

I Doubt..

You'll find an in vehicle nav system with free updates beyond the warranty period.

Here is an interesting article by Edmunds on the subject:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/should-i-buy-a-cars-f...

Vehicles equipped with Apple Play may be your best bet but loading POI's will still be an issue.

great look at the subject

bdhsfz6 wrote:

You'll find an in vehicle nav system with free updates beyond the warranty period.

Here is an interesting article by Edmunds on the subject:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/should-i-buy-a-cars-f...

Vehicles equipped with Apple Play may be your best bet but loading POI's will still be an issue.

Nice informative article, that link could (should) be posted in all the smartphone vs GPS threads.

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

I...

...don’t know of any. They all seem to charge for updates.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

This is a very good article

Thoroughly addresses the different choices that are currently available and trade-offs involved with each one.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

Good Article. Clear and thoughtful.

To quote the end of the article:
"Which Is the Best?

The answer all depends on your budget and the way you use navigation. A smartphone works great if you're always within cell coverage. The factory system works everywhere and is for those who like the integrated look and are comfortable with the cost of a factory system. The aftermarket stereo with nav is a pricier option, best for those who want better audio and customization. Finally, the portable navigation systems are an inexpensive alternative. And while they aren't as sleek as other options, they work everywhere and can be moved easily into other vehicles."

Now if we could paste this into every topic that comes up on this subject that seems to cause members to go catatonic at the very thought of someone else not doing it their way.

BTW I looked at quite a few mid and full sized domestic cars for the last 5 months of 2018. We ended up selecting 2 vehicles (1 for each of us) by not considering the navagition systems becuase of the added ongoing costs. That's why we use our Garmins in both vehicles.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

If you do get an automobile

If you do get an automobile with navigation and lifetime map update (or some x years free map update), I'm sure the price of the updates have been calculated into your monthly payments.

Good point

Chewbacca: That was exactly the case for one of the vehicles we looked at. Free Upgrades for 5 years INCLUDED in the final out-the-door price, so we had no idea what the updates really cost.

Most of what little research I did on the systems were that the maps were probably at least 2 years out of date at any given time. And members here complain the Garmin maps are out of date? Seems like the norm to me.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I stand corrected...

KenSny wrote:

Chewbacca: That was exactly the case for one of the vehicles we looked at. Free Upgrades for 5 years INCLUDED in the final out-the-door price, so we had no idea what the updates really cost.

Most of what little research I did on the systems were that the maps were probably at least 2 years out of date at any given time. And members here complain the Garmin maps are out of date? Seems like the norm to me.

No one offers Lifetime map updates although some manufacturers do offer limited updates. I believe I read at one point where VW was offering 5 year updates and Hyundai at one point was offering 5 year updates for European models. I don't believe they were doing the same for American models. But, I also think that the updates are included in the out-the-door price. For instance, to update the map on my Azera you must pay $169.00. And, they update the maps every 6 months, so that means that they are probably only 18 months behind. rolleyes

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Games Played by Toyota

My new Highlander, purchased April 2016, came with a June 2015 map. I immediately called dealer and was advised it was the newest version. I called Toyota, they agreed to provide warranty update when next version available. Happy ending, map updated December 2016.