Update Builtin POI's

 

Does Garmin ever update the POI's that come with their products?

--
Under no circumstances whatsoever, will logic and common sense be tolerated.

yes

Every map update has POI updates,

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."

But they aren't as accurate as POI Factory.

.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

They are whatever the

They are whatever the Venue's corporate supplies. Garmin gets these data bases from the map supplier and commercial providers. Garmin doesn't do any checking.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Outdated

And thus in my experience, some are often well out of date. The vast majority are okay but somehow, as luck would have it, some of the ones I really need are out of date.

That's why

Sixeye wrote:

And thus in my experience, some are often well out of date. The vast majority are okay but somehow, as luck would have it, some of the ones I really need are out of date.

That's why accurate POIs created for here by volunteers are so popular.

And "Custom POIs" is one feature that I hope Garmin and others never delete from the menu.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

I certainly agree

sometimes if I know it's a new location I look it up on my phone and enter address into garmin, then if its recurring I save it

Yep

We had a bank locally that moved about 5 years ago. It was still showing in the Garmin POI’s until a couple of updates ago. It is now showing its current (and correct) location.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

I tend to use the POIs from

I tend to use the POIs from our group vs Garmin. Garmin is a great GPS company and POI-Factory is tops when it comes to POIs!!!

Agreed !

bobshort1 wrote:

I tend to use the POIs from our group vs Garmin. Garmin is a great GPS company and POI-Factory is tops when it comes to POIs!!!

The ability to use Custom POI's is the main reason I haven't transitioned from standalone GPS to smartphone or in dash navigation.

Might be two factors at play

maddog67 wrote:

We had a bank locally that moved about 5 years ago. It was still showing in the Garmin POI’s until a couple of updates ago. It is now showing its current (and correct) location.

I suspect that companies pay Garmin to include their locations on the GPS.

It's also likely that it's up to these companies to provide Garmin with location updates.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

.

They do keep a lot of closed business’s on.

Garmins POI's

One thing I find that the Garmin POI's are sometimes very erroneous. For example if I were to tell the GPS to find local gas stations where I live it will come up with lots of locations but 75%.are convenience stores etc which have never ever sold gasoline!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT Retired now, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Garmin POis

I wish there was a way to turn off the Garmin POIs..They are annoying and not relevant to my driving

Map layers

dbusguy wrote:

I wish there was a way to turn off the Garmin POIs..They are annoying and not relevant to my driving

You can do some customizing. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/drivesmart50-60-70/E... . Other topics see https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=524667&searchQue...

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.