GTM 60/70 Firmware Update V2.60

 

Garmin Express is offering a firmware update on my 3 Garmin LMTHD devices for the GTM 60/70 traffic receivers.

Since I have switched to Smartphone Link traffic, I no longer use my GTM 60 on the 3597's, so I am not going to bother. The DriveLuxe 50 has a built in receiver, so I will probably let that update download when I do the next map update. But again, the traffic receiver is not really used on the DriveLuxe because of Smartphone Link.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

thanks

Alandb

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

I had 3 updates

I had the GTM 60/70 update, the Traffic Provider.xml update and an update to the Voice, American English - Samantha voice file.

The GTM 60/70 update was to improve reception compatibility for devices supporting ARD DAB (Whatever that is. I guess Google will know).

The Traffic Provider.xml file added support for Switzerland.

The Samantha Voice file added "Off-road" phrases.

Thanks to alandb.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Just checked

The GTM 60 firmware was not offered on either my 3597 or 3590 devices. I use SmartLink so it's not a big deal for me.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Jack?

metricman wrote:

I had the GTM 60/70 update, the Traffic Provider.xml update and an update to the Voice, American English - Samantha voice file.

...

The Samantha Voice file added "Off-road" phrases.

If using GE for voice updates, you probably also have a Jack update but to get it, you need to switch your selected voice from Samantha to Jack as GE seems only to offer available updates for the selected voice on your device.

Smantha

CraigW wrote:

you probably also have a Jack update but to get it, you need to switch your selected voice from Samantha to Jack as GE seems only to offer available updates for the selected voice on your device.

It's Jack off for me, I like Samantha, makes me feel I have a woman in the car telling me what to do.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT Retired now, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

GTM 60 firmware is offered for my 3597

Garmin Express shows it as one of my updates. Will download this weekend.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

GTM updates.

I am not completely sure how traffic receiver updates work, and I have not applied it to any of my devices yet. But I think Express downloads a binary file (.bin or .gcd) in folder /.system/RemoteSW. Then when you boot the device, if you are connected to the the GTM receiver, it will push the update out to the traffic receiver. If you don't have the traffic receiver connected to your device, I think the binary file will just sit there dormant in the /.system/RemoteSW folder until you actually connect it to the GTM device.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Samantha

CraigW wrote:
metricman wrote:

I had the GTM 60/70 update, the Traffic Provider.xml update and an update to the Voice, American English - Samantha voice file.

...

The Samantha Voice file added "Off-road" phrases.

If using GE for voice updates, you probably also have a Jack update but to get it, you need to switch your selected voice from Samantha to Jack as GE seems only to offer available updates for the selected voice on your device.

Samantha was selected, but I'm not that interested in any other voice updates.

I only did the Traffic file so that it wouldn't keep appearing. No plans anytime soon to go to Switzerland grin

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Seemingly Odd Decisions

I can't help but wonder why Garmin would add/update Switzerland related traffic provider info to models running North American maps, while limiting voice updates to the active voice only. Is there some great difference in file sizes as a result of these updates? Other ideas?

Traffic Providers.

I suspect the traffic provider file is global.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Global list

Bayou Navigator wrote:

I can't help but wonder why Garmin would add/update Switzerland related traffic provider info to models running North American maps, while limiting voice updates to the active voice only. Is there some great difference in file sizes as a result of these updates? Other ideas?

The Traffic Provider.xml file is indeed a "Global" file and is about 302 kb in size. There are a lot of countries listed in the file.

Adding in any data to Switzerland would add a miniscule amount of data.

If one ever did travel (and a lot of Garmin users do), a single file that "Fits All" eliminates the need to download a file for each country.

BTW, you can examine this file using a text editor such as Notepad.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

GTM60/70

Thanks for the info.

Google doesn't know what ARD DAB is

metricman wrote:

The GTM 60/70 update was to improve reception compatibility for devices supporting ARD DAB (Whatever that is. I guess Google will know).

The Traffic Provider.xml file added support for Switzerland.

The Samantha Voice file added "Off-road" phrases.

Google doesn't know what ARD DAB is. With my 3597 GE update, there's no mention of Samantha.

Samantha

Spaztic wrote:
metricman wrote:

...

The Samantha Voice file added "Off-road" phrases.

... With my 3597 GE update, there's no mention of Samantha.

Garmin Express only offers an update to the Navigation Voice that's active on your device so if you weren't given the recent Sam update, you must have Jack selected as your voice. If you switch the selected voice to Samantha, then re-run Garmin Express, you should be given Sam and when done, can still return to Jack (or any of Garmin's other voices):

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42708

Don't know about ARD DAB either ...

Spaztic wrote:

Google doesn't know what ARD DAB is.

but try these links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARD_(broadcaster)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_using_DAB/DMB

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Don't Know About ARD DAB Either

Thanks!

Looks like it's not supported in North America so it's not necessary to install the update.