DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S vs 3597 Maps

 

I want to go from my 3597 to the DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S for the improvements over the 3597 in built-In memory and WiFi updating, and I am hoping more reliable Bluetooth connection with the SmartLink traffic app. However, I saw on an Amazon review that the maps in the 51 are simplified and without the terrain the makes the 3597 maps look so nice. Is it true that the maps on the 51 are a downgrade?

--
Brent - 3597LMTHD

sponsored links

Interesting

An interesting observation. From what I see online, you are correct and the DriveLuxe does not show shaded relief terrain.

Like you, I like the added feature on the 3597 although almost always it is more cosmetic than functional. At times I even find the shading interferes with seeing the map and route; i.e., try driving down the Oak Creek switchbacks on Hwy 89 between Sedona and Flagstaff, AZ.

Given the choice of having or not having the terrain, I'll keep it. But if my 3597 dies, I'd go for the DriveLuxe without feeling bad about losing the shading.

And for those wondering about how the 3597 does it, the terrain relief shading is not part of the City Navigator map file. It is rather a separate map file that appears in conjunction with the City Nav map and therefore must be a transparent map allowing the underlying opaque City Nav map to show.

Can terrain be added?

CraigW wrote:

the terrain relief shading is not part of the City Navigator map file. It is rather a separate map file that appears in conjunction with the City Nav map and therefore must be a transparent map allowing the underlying opaque City Nav map to show.

Does that mean the terrain map could be added to the 51?

--
Brent - 3597LMTHD

DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S Vs 3597 Maps

brentrn wrote:

...I am hoping more reliable Bluetooth connection with the SmartLink traffic app...

I have never noticed a problem with that. Is it definitely the Garmin and not the smartphone?

BT works but not always the traffic connection

Jim1348 wrote:

I have never noticed a problem with that. Is it definitely the Garmin and not the smartphone?

The 3597 connects with Bluetooth reliably but not the traffic connection. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why it sometimes works. Sometimes I have to turn off BT on the phone and on the GPS, then re-pair them. That works for a while then it stops randomly. I find it works best if I have the phone on before starting the GPS.

I am in line to get an iPhone X in a couple of weeks so that will let me rule out the phone.

--
Brent - 3597LMTHD

I doubt it

brentrn wrote:
CraigW wrote:

the terrain relief shading is not part of the City Navigator map file. It is rather a separate map file that appears in conjunction with the City Nav map and therefore must be a transparent map allowing the underlying opaque City Nav map to show.

Does that mean the terrain map could be added to the 51?

It doesn't appear that Garmin has any plans on adding this feature to other units. This feature was restricted to the prestige line of GPS's which the 3597 is part of.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Terrain

I love that feature of the 3597 and the NuviCam especially when driving through the Smokies.

DriveLuxe 51.

Unfortunately, the DEM (terrain) map can not be added to the DriveLuxe 51.

It is interesting that on your 3597 you lose connection to Smartphone Link Traffic but not to Bluetooth or other Smartphone Link functions. The Smartphone Link traffic function has been rock-solid for me (using Android 5 on a cheap LG phone). Have you ever tried it with a different phone?

--
Alan - Android Auto, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Same with SE

brentrn wrote:
Jim1348 wrote:

I have never noticed a problem with that. Is it definitely the Garmin and not the smartphone?

The 3597 connects with Bluetooth reliably but not the traffic connection. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why it sometimes works. Sometimes I have to turn off BT on the phone and on the GPS, then re-pair them. That works for a while then it stops randomly. I find it works best if I have the phone on before starting the GPS.

I am in line to get an iPhone X in a couple of weeks so that will let me rule out the phone.

I have the SE and have random problems connecting to the Traffic with the 3597, also. Especially when I uncheck the Hands Free option and want traffic only.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

App or device problem?

That makes me wonder if the problem is in the Iphone Smartphone Link app rather than in the 3597. Of course it is a Garmin problem either way, but if it is in the app, swapping the 3597 for a DriveLuxe probably won't help.

--
Alan - Android Auto, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

I had a 770 that would

I had a 770 that would simply refuse to connect, at all, or would immediately disconnect, or disconnect after a period of time. It would also disconnect the Garmin Mechanic or whatever the device was called that connects to your car OPDII port for engine monitoring.

Garmin Tech sent me a procedure to to create a Bluetooth log, and I sent them thousands of miles of logs to study. (I drove a charter bus.) They claimed that they couldn't see the problem, that it appeared to be a normal disconnect.They offered to sell me another type of unit at a discount to replace it. But I needed the Dezl version for the Commercial Vehicle options.

My 3597 has few problems, comparatively.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Smartphone app just updated

The Smartphone link app for iOS was updated this morning. The GPS did automatically connect with BT until I went to the Control Panel>Bluetooth and touched the Disconnected status to connect. The traffic icon then appeared on the GPS and the traffic info went through. We will see if that solves the problem. However, over the last couple of years I sometimes will go weeks with normal functioning and then suddenly will have a failure to communicate.

--
Brent - 3597LMTHD

Life is better with an iPhone X

I got an iPhone X last Friday. After a week of driving I am very happy to report that for the first time the SmartLink app traffic connection connects to my 3597 automatically when I start the car. The app also works better by loading traffic info faster.

Coming from an iPhone 6 has been quite astounding. Everything works so much faster. My Apple CarPlay on a Kenwood head unit also starts and runs better than ever.

--
Brent - 3597LMTHD

Other Options

maddog67 wrote:
brentrn wrote:
CraigW wrote:

the terrain relief shading is not part of the City Navigator map file. It is rather a separate map file that appears in conjunction with the City Nav map and therefore must be a transparent map allowing the underlying opaque City Nav map to show.

Does that mean the terrain map could be added to the 51?

It doesn't appear that Garmin has any plans on adding this feature to other units. This feature was restricted to the prestige line of GPS's which the 3597 is part of.

If you aren't happy with the look of the maps on your Garmin device, there are ways to enhance or even replace them.

Websites like https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ offer free rout-able map replacements or transparent overlays that will work with your existing Garmin map.

I have been using topo overlays to enhance the maps on many of my Garmin units going back to my trusty old Nuvi 255. Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet that completely emulates the terrain feature of the Prestige series GPSr's but some come quite close.

DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S Vs 3597 Maps

Excellent advice.

other bluetooth devices

alandb wrote:

That makes me wonder if the problem is in the Iphone Smartphone Link app rather than in the 3597. Of course it is a Garmin problem either way, but if it is in the app, swapping the 3597 for a DriveLuxe probably won't help.

In my opinion, the problem with my 3597 and intermittent Smartphone Link is being caused by too many bluetooth devices, since the car audio system wants to do "bluetooth" for voice phone calls and wants to maintain the contact list. Garmin also wants to perform these functions. No changes in settings in the GPS or the phone have been successful in stopping this from happening. I constantly have to pair the phone and GPS after they forgot their bluetooth connections.

dobs108 smile

@dobs108: I have to agree

@dobs108: I have to agree with that in general.

Although I can't compare it with a Garmin using bluetooth I have seen the problem in my car and my wife's car when connecting the phone via bluetooth and a tablet that has audio books playing thru the cars bluetooth (2 devices connected). Whenever a call is received on the phone link the audio book pauses (as expected) but also drops the link and has to be reconnected. Annoying.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.