Are There Any Windows 10 Tablets That Have A GPS Receiver Built Into Them?

 

As posted above, I am looking for a Windows 10 tablet. So far, I haven't found any mainstream brands with GPS built into them. Does anybody here happen to know of any?

GPS

Jim1348 wrote:

As posted above, I am looking for a Windows 10 tablet. So far, I haven't found any mainstream brands with GPS built into them. Does anybody here happen to know of any?

Sure some models are missing but a start .Scroll down to Windows https://goo.gl/TaMG17

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Any with cellular network connections should have GPS

FWIW... Cellular iPads have GPS... wifi only ones do not... And... You can get stand-alone GPS receivers that will connect to tablets via Bluetooth, or an iPad's charging port...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Windows 10 options

kch50428 wrote:

FWIW... Cellular iPads have GPS... wifi only ones do not... And... You can get stand-alone GPS receivers that will connect to tablets via Bluetooth, or an iPad's charging port...

He was referring to a Win10 device wink (iPads are nice but don't really run operating systems from Redmond.)

Windows tablets with GPS as a rule are harder to find. Had this been before July 31, I'd have recommended to go with an ASUS Vivotab Note 8 (which comes with Windows 8.1) and go with the Windows 10 upgrade. (I actually use this very combination and it works very well!)...unfortunately this may be a bit more expensive now that the free Win10 upgrade period has passed, but you may actually find them with Win10 preinstalled via various online resellers.

The Acer Iconia W4 is also another Win8.1 "upgradable to Win10" option with native GPS.

As for Windows 10 native tablets...you're going to go with Lenovo, or, well, Lenovo. For thee least expensive option (and this is more of a 2-in-1) the Lenovo IdeaPad MIIX 300 does apparently offer integrated GPS and can be found relatively inexpensively (around the $225 range).

Most other Win10 native tablets either lack GPS or have a SIM card (a general rule of thumb is that you're going to need to have 4G LTE capability on a tablet before it'll have GPS).

(It should also be noted that the rarity of Windows 10 tablets with GPS is a direct function of the fact that Windows 10 tablets period are rather uncommon. There is less and less coming out as tablets--more common nowadays are large Android "phablet" phones on the small end, and around 12-13" convertible laptops (that can be used as either a tablet or as a full laptop)--and are designed much, much more towards an actual laptop form factor. Unfortunately, they're also designed towards a laptop price point...)

That said, it is very possible (even with devices that do not have integrated GPS) to use a GPS dongle. (This works better with the larger tablets and 2-in-1 devices that have a full USB slot.) There's also the option of a Bluetooth enabled GPS; a lot of folks do seem to have success with the Bad Elf GPS devices used for iPads (which I think that's what your comment was in regards to).

One thing you should be aware of--if you are using a Windows tablet with built-in GPS AND using "non-Metro" GPS tools (which is to say, if you're not using HERE Maps or similar map tools you get from the Windows Store), you'll need a program to enable other apps to see the internal GPS. (Microsoft Streets and Trips, for one, needs this--then again, Streets and Trips is abandonware.) Most of the apps for this are, unfortunately, not free and/or require one to be fairly technically knowledgeable to use. HERE Maps is good enough, though, that you probably won't be using anything else save for maybe Sygic or CoPilot (both of which have actual "Windows Store-ified" versions that don't need special tools to use the internal GPS on a tablet).

Tl;dr

Seems like an awful lot of stuff to work thru to make a Windows tablet functional as a GPSr... Sorry I offered factual information that's applicable to the subject of GPSrs on tablets albeit on a tangent to the OPs pacific question... I'll not dare to do that again...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Are There Any Windows 10 Tablets That Have A GPS Receiver Built

kusuriurikun wrote:

.....One thing you should be aware of--if you are using a Windows tablet with built-in GPS AND using "non-Metro" GPS tools (which is to say, if you're not using HERE Maps or similar map tools you get from the Windows Store), you'll need a program to enable other apps to see the internal GPS. (Microsoft Streets and Trips, for one, needs this--then again, Streets and Trips is abandonware.) Most of the apps for this are, unfortunately, not free and/or require one to be fairly technically knowledgeable to use. HERE Maps is good enough, though, that you probably won't be using anything else save for maybe Sygic or CoPilot (both of which have actual "Windows Store-ified" versions that don't need special tools to use the internal GPS on a tablet).

Thank you everybody for the replies. I am in no huge hurry, but my Nexus 7 Android tablet will no longer work. I guess I got my moneys worth out of it, but I miss it and want a replacement of some sort. I n the meantime I am getting by with borrowing my wife's Apple iPad Mini.

I am trying to avoid having to buy two or three tablets, but I still might end up having to buy more than one.

I am an amateur radio operator and I would like to have the ability to use some of my radio programming software on a tablet, thus the reason for a Windows 10 device.

With regards to integrated GPS on a Windows 10 Lenovo, I am hoping that by using an Android emulator program that I could use Garmin Viago. I have it on some of my Android phones, but they obviously have native Android. Maybe I will look around to see if there are any forums for the Lenovo devices.

mine does

kch50428 wrote:

FWIW... Cellular iPads have GPS... wifi only ones do not... And... You can get stand-alone GPS receivers that will connect to tablets via Bluetooth, or an iPad's charging port...

Don't know about your iPad but my WiFi only iPad has GPS and I can navigate with saved google maps

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV