Advantages Using Download vs. Pre-Loaded SD Cards?

 

I may have to travel to Europe for work and wanted to take my 3490 with me. Obviously I have the US maps loaded in the unit but I may need to buy the City Navigator® Europe NT maps and I was wondering if there was an advantage or disadvantage to downloading the file myself or just buying the pre-loaded card.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

The main advantage of

The main advantage of purchasing the pre-loaded card is that you can sell it after you return from Europe and recoup most of your cost. This is because unlike the one-time download, the map on a pre-loaded card is tied to the card itself and not the device it's inserted to.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

the other option

is to use Open Street Maps. They will provide routing but no built-in POI or voice support. The advantage is no cost and you can delete them.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

I Like Downloads

While I see the advantage for someone who travels abroad frequently, domestically I much prefer to download new maps/files.

Can't Swap?

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

The main advantage of purchasing the pre-loaded card is that you can sell it after you return from Europe and recoup most of your cost. This is because unlike the one-time download, the map on a pre-loaded card is tied to the card itself and not the device it's inserted to.

So are you saying that if I were to download the files to a blank SD card, I could not move that SD card to another unit like a pre-loaded card?

Thanks.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Correct

Preroll wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

The main advantage of purchasing the pre-loaded card is that you can sell it after you return from Europe and recoup most of your cost. This is because unlike the one-time download, the map on a pre-loaded card is tied to the card itself and not the device it's inserted to.

So are you saying that if I were to download the files to a blank SD card, I could not move that SD card to another unit like a pre-loaded card?

Thanks.

That is correct.

--
New England Riders BaseCamp Tutorial: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

I Agree

Box Car wrote:

is to use Open Street Maps. They will provide routing but no built-in POI or voice support. The advantage is no cost and you can delete them.

I echo Box Car's suggestion, that's what I would do rather than spend 100.00 for the Garmin map. If your company will pay for it then it's something to consider. I also agree to purchase the pre-loaded SD card since you can use it in most any Nuvi.

Keep in mind, the map you purchase whether download or SD card will not have Voice Command, Junction Views. Also, I'm not certain, but you may also lose HD Digital Traffic since it's a different subscription than North America providers.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Smart Phone

When I had my Nuvi 750 I bought a cd with Europe Maps. I used them a couple of times.
I bought a Nuvi 2450 and when I went to get it ready the map was keyed to my Nuvi 750.
The great folks on here told me to get a SD card so I did and it worked great and now when I buy a new Nuvi I can use it on all of them.

The thing is... now I just want to carry one item to Europe.
Last year I carried a Nexus 7, a Nuvi 2450, a small smart phone, and a wifi camera.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and that is all I have to carry. With Here or what ever app I end up using with downloaded maps I can have my maps. I also now have data so I can use it to check my home cameras. I will probably take the wifi camera and phone. The camera on the Note 4 is lacking in the zoom department for shots while traveling.

But back on point. If you have a smart phone and something like the Here maps you don't have to carry everything. I think the Here maps can be downloaded so you don't have to use your data???

Just an idea.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Oh My

muell9k wrote:
Box Car wrote:

is to use Open Street Maps. They will provide routing but no built-in POI or voice support. The advantage is no cost and you can delete them.

I echo Box Car's suggestion, that's what I would do rather than spend 100.00 for the Garmin map. If your company will pay for it then it's something to consider. I also agree to purchase the pre-loaded SD card since you can use it in most any Nuvi.

Keep in mind, the map you purchase whether download or SD card will not have Voice Command, Junction Views. Also, I'm not certain, but you may also lose HD Digital Traffic since it's a different subscription than North America providers.

So to get Voice Commands and Junction View I would have to have a European model built in as the basemap? Is there any other solution having a US model to achieve this? I don't know why this is a technical challenge for this to work unless Garmin just wants to sell two versions of the same unit.

Thanks again.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

I agree

muell9k wrote:

Keep in mind, the map you purchase whether download or SD card will not have Voice Command, Junction Views. Also, I'm not certain, but you may also lose HD Digital Traffic since it's a different subscription than North America roviders.

I agree that you would lose Junction Views as the JCV file wouldn't be included in either the SD or Download version of the Euro maps but why would you loss Voice Commands. Aren't they a feature of the Nuvi your using and not the maps installed on it?

The following Nuvi models have both Europe and NA maps along with Junction Views and Traffic:

2559LMT
2475LT

The following also has Voice Commands:

2577LT

As you can see, only the 2559 has Lifetime maps but they all have Lifetime Traffic.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

No voice recognition on added map

Muell9k is correct: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?...

Quote:

Regardless of the model used, voice command will only work with mapping that was originally preloaded with the device. Not all features will work with voice command if you are using supplemental maps (e.g., European maps on a device purchased in North America).

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Reason For No Voice Command Or Junction View

t923347 wrote:

I agree that you would lose Junction Views as the JCV file wouldn't be included in either the SD or Download version of the Euro maps but why would you loss Voice Commands. Aren't they a feature of the Nuvi your using and not the maps installed on it?

As alandb indicated by the link he provided, you will lose the voice command and Junction View.
The fact is voice command files and Junction View are part of the map set, you can't use older voice command files or Junction View on a newer map set. Both voice command files and Junction View files do differ depending on the model.
Economics dictates they would not have different SD cards or download links to ensure the correct Voice Command & Junction View files are received for the specific model.

Although I've never done it, If you buy the map download or the pre-installed SD card I’m sure you’re never asked what model number it is for.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Yep.

sbbjm wrote:
Preroll wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

The main advantage of purchasing the pre-loaded card is that you can sell it after you return from Europe and recoup most of your cost. This is because unlike the one-time download, the map on a pre-loaded card is tied to the card itself and not the device it's inserted to.

So are you saying that if I were to download the files to a blank SD card, I could not move that SD card to another unit like a pre-loaded card?

Thanks.

That is correct.

The pre-loaded MicroSD Garmin sells can be moved from device to device. Copying the map files off the pre-loaded card to another MicroSD card will render the maps non-functional.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Voice directions

I think My SD card had voice commands. Been awhile since I used it.

Edit.. quote from Garmin

Gives turn-by-turn directions on your compatible device.
Speaks street names (example: "Turn right on Main Street")

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

No Voice Command On SD Card

mgarledge wrote:

I think My SD card had voice commands. Been awhile since I used it.

Edit.. quote from Garmin

Gives turn-by-turn directions on your compatible device.
Speaks street names (example: "Turn right on Main Street")

I don't think you can put voice command files on an SD card.
The voice command files are located in the .System\ASR folder on the Nuvi. this is where it will look (GarminDevice.xml) to make the files functional.

The quote from Garmin is just describing the normal speaking of street names, has nothing to do with Voice Command.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

two different things?

muell9k wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I think My SD card had voice commands. Been awhile since I used it.

Edit.. quote from Garmin

Gives turn-by-turn directions on your compatible device.
Speaks street names (example: "Turn right on Main Street")

I don't think you can put voice command files on an SD card.
The voice command files are located in the .System\ASR folder on the Nuvi. this is where it will look (GarminDevice.xml) to make the files functional.

The quote from Garmin is just describing the normal speaking of street names, has nothing to do with Voice Command.

I think we are talking about two different things. From what I understand, the "hooks" for directions are embedded in the map data as well as the junction view and lane guidance data. I can see Garmin leaving the JCV and built-in POI data from the SD card as not all units support junction views and POI data is a BIG dtabase. Voice commands are more related to the operating system and are not tied to the map data as such. Invoking a command to find a city would be the same for a map installed in internal memory as it would with a map installed on an SD card. My 885 has its maps on an SD card and not internally and the voice commands work for searching and locating just the same with the maps internally as they do externally.

As to Garmin's statement about "speaking street names," Garmin has never made a direct statement about the map or unit (or any but a select few) providing real directions such as "Turn Left at the stop sign." My 885 just says "turn left" while the 3597 tells me to turn left at the stop/traffic light with the same map.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Thanks

t923347 wrote:
muell9k wrote:

Keep in mind, the map you purchase whether download or SD card will not have Voice Command, Junction Views. Also, I'm not certain, but you may also lose HD Digital Traffic since it's a different subscription than North America roviders.

I agree that you would lose Junction Views as the JCV file wouldn't be included in either the SD or Download version of the Euro maps but why would you loss Voice Commands. Aren't they a feature of the Nuvi your using and not the maps installed on it?

The following Nuvi models have both Europe and NA maps along with Junction Views and Traffic:

2559LMT
2475LT

The following also has Voice Commands:

2577LT

As you can see, only the 2559 has Lifetime maps but they all have Lifetime Traffic.

Thanks for all the replies. I can't believe that only two models have JV and that the SD cards (for $99+) do not. One would think that if you pay for these cards you should have full functionality. So I guess when I want to go to Australia next year and I buy the SD card for that region, it will not have JV's either. Is there a model for that region that has JV's built in?

-Thanks.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

No JCV Files On SD Card For Any Map

Preroll wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I can't believe that only two models have JV and that the SD cards (for $99+) do not. One would think that if you pay for these cards you should have full functionality. So I guess when I want to go to Australia next year and I buy the SD card for that region, it will not have JV's either. Is there a model for that region that has JV's built in?

-Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the one time SD card map updates you buy from Garmin will have Junction Views, that goes for any region. Since different models use different JCV files Garmin only makes a generic SD card for that particular map region. I suppose economics comes into play here.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Glad..

Glad I switched to my SD card to load and save info.

thats funny

Box Car wrote:

while the 3597 tells me to turn left at the stop/traffic light with the same map.

My 3597 says, "turn left when you find a post with a bird on it!"

grin

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

I see.

muell9k wrote:
Preroll wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I can't believe that only two models have JV and that the SD cards (for $99+) do not. One would think that if you pay for these cards you should have full functionality. So I guess when I want to go to Australia next year and I buy the SD card for that region, it will not have JV's either. Is there a model for that region that has JV's built in?

-Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the one time SD card map updates you buy from Garmin will have Junction Views, that goes for any region. Since different models use different JCV files Garmin only makes a generic SD card for that particular map region. I suppose economics comes into play here.

I see. I would have figured that the JV files would work from unit to unit but if that is the case then I can see how they wouldn't be included. Kind of a bad design in my book. Not sure why those files aren't designed to be compatible across all their auto navigators. Anyway, thanks for the info.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Spoken directions

Yes BoxCae, I was talking about the map giving me voice commands. I forgot there were units you can give voice commands to.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)