Difference with maps (2014.10, 2014.20, etc.)

 

I have a Garmin 765T and I downloaded a 2014.10 map. Can someone tell me what the difference between a 2014.10, 2014.20, 2014.30, 2014.40 maps mean? My mother has a newer Garmin and she has the 2014.40 map.

Welcome to The Factory

I'll assume you're both in North America since the European maps are now a smidge different.

As you probably know, Garmin states that map updates will be offered up to four times a year and in the recent past, it has always been four per year.

The current map that came out about a month ago is 2015.20 which a logical person would think means the 2nd update of 2015 but that obviously can't be. Think of map versions like car models where the 2015s are already being sold and then you'll have it figured out.

Your mother's Garmin GPS has a map that came out about six months ago, 2014.40, and your 765T's 2014.10 map is about 1.25 years old.

If either your mother's or your device was purchased with Lifetime Map updates or had a separate lifetime update purchased, then she or you has a map update available now to 2015.20.

If you're saying that your North American mapped 765T has lifetime maps and your update was done in the last few weeks, then you shouldn't have been given the 2014.10 map.

If your mother's device was purchased in the past couple of years or slightly more, she most likely has a LM or LMT device and will have lifetime maps so her 2015.20 can be downloaded and installed.

Many of the newer, more advanced Garmin models update more than just the map and built-in POIs when a map update is done. They may also include newer Junction Views, Digital Elevation maps (sort of topo-ish looking), 3D buildings, updated voice recognition files, etc. and some of these will be identified on your MapInfo or myMaps page on your device in addition to the 2015.20 or whatever version you have. Also, some models come with—and can be updated to—all of North America. Other devices come with and can only update: US and Canada, etc. Also, older devices often can't store the entire map update internally and therefore have map updates offered to be placed on a SD card for use in that device, or are offered a smaller map (Lower 49 states, etc.):

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42542

I'm already well beyond TMI given your question so I'll stop now wink

map difference

No, my 765T doesn't have lifetime updates, but when I searched for a bar(or club) in my area it was on my mother's 1300 Garmin,and not mine. I wanted to know the difference so I can have the same (if not more) information on her gps.

Yes indeed

mikeups1278 wrote:

No, my 765T doesn't have lifetime updates, but when I searched for a bar(or club) in my area it was on my mother's 1300 Garmin,and not mine. I wanted to know the difference so I can have the same (if not more) information on her gps.

Yes indeed, you've just found that a map update results in a newer map as well as newer built-in POI locations (such as the bar/club she can find but you can't).

You can learn about Custom POIs and then check to see if anyone here at The Factory has posted a file of updated POIs; e.g., if you're looking for a new microbrewery/bar, you could install this file:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21733

and this would possibly update your device to find new locations that are not built into your 2014.10 map. In fact, oftentimes a custom POI file maintained here will be more current than what's available built in to the Garmin map updates. As the homepage here states:

Browse free POI files with over 1,000,000 locations:
http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles

Update

Thanks CraigW, but I don't want custom updates I want it to where every POI is in the update. Would I have to update to 2014.40? I thought 2015.20 doesn't come out till next year?

Two choices

mikeups1278 wrote:

Thanks CraigW, but I don't want custom updates I want it to where every POI is in the update. Would I have to update to 2014.40? I thought 2015.20 doesn't come out till next year?

You have basically two choices and #1 should be avoided:

1) Buy a 1-time map update for your 465T. This will let you install the current 2015.20 map. Amazon sells this, but given that it's only $10 less than option #2, it's not a good value.

2) Buy a numaps lifetime update for your 465T. Currently Amazon has them available for about $85. The current Garmin MSRP is $90. This will let you update to the current 2015.20 now, and then update again up to four times a year for the life of your 465T. If patient, you may find the lifetime update available for well under $85. This thread may let you know when a Black Friday or other great deal is available—skip to the last 1-2 pages of the thread given the age of the thread and volatility of pricing:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/29724

....There is a 3rd option. Buy a new trucker's device with lifetime maps, any that include "LMT" in their model number:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/trucking/cOnTheR...

And if you really don't need a trucker's GPS, you can find a deal on an automotive device with lifetime maps for about the price of adding lifetime maps to your current 465T.

2014.40

2014.40 came out in Frebruary 2014. The most up to date version of City Navigator maps is 2015.20 which was available as of Aug 13th.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Attn mikeups

t923347 wrote:

2014.40 came out in Frebruary 2014. The most up to date version of City Navigator maps is 2015.20 which was available as of Aug 13th.

Note that t92 hails from Canada and they (and the Brits) so often mix up their ...er... with a ...re..., assuming Ferbruary was intended. Let's not even think of their spelling for aluminum...

twisted

@ Craig

mrgreen

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

!

canuk wrote:

mrgreen

One can't argue with the Honourable Canuk.

Have I told y'all

Have I told y'all lately that I do so love reading post here... smile

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Have I told y'all...

mgarledge wrote:

Have I told y'all lately that I do so love reading post here... smile

...states our resident Texan. But then, I grew up in an area where buildings and parks had bubblers to quench one's thirst, so I better be careful inside my glass house and put my rocks out of sight.

Never heard of bubblers so

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Have I told y'all lately that I do so love reading post here... smile

...states our resident Texan. But then, I grew up in an area where buildings and parks had bubblers to quench one's thirst, so I better be careful inside my glass house.

Never heard of a bubbler so I looked it up. "Drinking fountain".
Where did they call them bubblers?

O and sorry for the interruption to the original post.
Welcome to the Factory. smile

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

The land of Cheeseheads

mgarledge wrote:

Never heard of a bubbler so I looked it up. "Drinking fountain".
Where did they call them bubblers?

http://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/departments/sifting-winnowin...

In other words, I was raised in youse guys-Land rather than y'all-Land

That was a great article

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Never heard of a bubbler so I looked it up. "Drinking fountain".
Where did they call them bubblers?

http://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/departments/sifting-winnowin...

In other words, I was raised in youse guys-Land rather than y'all-Land

Now I know if someone asked me. Nearing 70, and never heard of a Bubbler.

The article also had "If they (referring to Texans) can say y’all instead of you guys, put things up instead of away, and have a test over rather than about a subject, they can accede to this (referring to bubbler)."

I say y'all, put things up, test over the subject and never knew there was anything different about it.
smile
-----
Anyway, my thoughts on the above question. I would buy a new Nuvi for a little more and have an updated unit with lifetime maps and traffic.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Fun

Regional colloquialisms are always fun to hear. We all have them, no matter where we live. They sound normal to us, but sometimes seem strange to those who didn't grow up in our area.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Oleo

alandb wrote:

Regional colloquialisms are always fun to hear. We all have them, no matter where we live. They sound normal to us, but sometimes seem strange to those who didn't grow up in our area.

I grew up at a time where buying colored margarine required a slip across the border into Illinois to load the vehicle trunk with case of the contraband, then hope the WI troopers didn't stop us on the way home and ask to look in the trunk.

PS—proper Bubbler etiquette: keep lips an inch above the chrome sphere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_fountain#mediaviewer/F...