thoughts about 2597lmt

 

Thinking about getting new garmin nuvi 2597lmt, any suggestions? complains? better models?

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

2597

I like mine. Wish it had more speech commands.

got mine a few weeks ago for

got mine a few weeks ago for $150 at canadian tire in montreal due to a price misprint. great gps fast tracking. no complaints here

ok

triplea wrote:

got mine a few weeks ago for $150 at canadian tire in montreal due to a price misprint. great gps fast tracking. no complaints here

thank you

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

...

im about to smash mine

--
Garmin nüvi 2597LMT

2595lmt

I've enjoyed using mine, but the voice commands can be a bit annoying. If you're telling the unit an address, it will (most of the time) misunderstand what your are saying (at least in my case) and repeat an incorrect address. Sometimes, the voice command menu will pop up due to a random noise and will need to be cancelled. Otherwise, it's a pretty good unit.

2597lmt

to me it is one of the best 5 inch screen with lifetime maps and traffic.
It would be great if it had red light camera built in maps however that is fixed via custom alerts uploaded into the unit.

It has bluetooth but no mp3 player. Also syncs with smartphone if you have dataplan for weather etc.

It is a great unit and in Canada dropped $20 and if you look for deals you can get another $20-25 off using coupons from Staples.
IMO
African

2797LMT

I have the 7" big brother to the 2597 and like it quite well (like my 765T better than any GPS I have had). The only real dislike is the oversize built in poi icons displayed on the map. They are huge.

--
(formerly known as condump) RV 770 LMT-S, Nuvi2797LMT, Nuvi765T

i tried out the 2598lmt-hd and then returned it for a refund

I got the 2598lmt-hd from costco I believe it is the same as the 2597lmt but sold by costco only.
I loved everything about it except one thing.
It dosen't rout correctly. It would rout me through miles of traffic lights when the expressway was very close. I called garmin suport and we went over the settings (avoid highways not checked) and still could not get it to rout correctly. So I returned it, I am thinking maybe there is somting wrong with the map they use. I live on Long Island, NY and maybe that is not maped properly. we have a expressway with HOV (carpool lanes) and the garmin never asks if I want to use them.

2595lmt

Have the 2595lmt and really like it. Sometimes the voice command does not hear me right and have to repeat myself but not often.

2595lmt

Have the 2595lmt and really like it. Sometimes the voice command does not hear me right and have to repeat myself but not often.

Have you experienced any

Have you experienced any other issues besides the voice command?

I'm also thinking about

I'm also thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 2597. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a lot that I like about it.

I've had a Navigon for years and realize that it's time to move on, since the Navigon units are no longer being updated. Anyway, one thing I love about my Navigon is the POI on the map. Most of them are actually icons matching whatever business it is. If there is a McDonalds ahead, you see a McDonalds icon instead of a generic restaurant icon (fork and knife).

Anyway, is it possible to have that kind of layout on a Garmin unit? Can I customize POI to the point where I can have a McDonalds logo or a Walmart logo on the map, for example? I think it's handy to be able to have those icons on the map instead of generic restaurant, gas station, etc. icons. Thanks for your help on this guys.

yes, but

Garmin2597Guy wrote:

I'm also thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 2597. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a lot that I like about it.

I've had a Navigon for years and realize that it's time to move on, since the Navigon units are no longer being updated. Anyway, one thing I love about my Navigon is the POI on the map. Most of them are actually icons matching whatever business it is. If there is a McDonalds ahead, you see a McDonalds icon instead of a generic restaurant icon (fork and knife).

Anyway, is it possible to have that kind of layout on a Garmin unit? Can I customize POI to the point where I can have a McDonalds logo or a Walmart logo on the map, for example? I think it's handy to be able to have those icons on the map instead of generic restaurant, gas station, etc. icons. Thanks for your help on this guys.

What you are asking is found through the use of custom POI. Downloading and installing custom poi files with an associated icon will allow the custom icon to show.

The underlying problem is there are two lists of locations, the default or built-ins part of the map data and your custom locations. You can't change the ones supplied as part of the map data.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Thanks for the reply

Box Car wrote:
Garmin2597Guy wrote:

I'm also thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 2597. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a lot that I like about it.

I've had a Navigon for years and realize that it's time to move on, since the Navigon units are no longer being updated. Anyway, one thing I love about my Navigon is the POI on the map. Most of them are actually icons matching whatever business it is. If there is a McDonalds ahead, you see a McDonalds icon instead of a generic restaurant icon (fork and knife).

Anyway, is it possible to have that kind of layout on a Garmin unit? Can I customize POI to the point where I can have a McDonalds logo or a Walmart logo on the map, for example? I think it's handy to be able to have those icons on the map instead of generic restaurant, gas station, etc. icons. Thanks for your help on this guys.

What you are asking is found through the use of custom POI. Downloading and installing custom poi files with an associated icon will allow the custom icon to show.

The underlying problem is there are two lists of locations, the default or built-ins part of the map data and your custom locations. You can't change the ones supplied as part of the map data.

Thank you for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm very new to all of this. Are you saying that if I add custom POI, like the ones I described, then I'll have a mixture of those and the default ones on the map? Or, can I only have one or the other at one time? Sorry if that is a stupid question. Like I said, I'm new to this. Thanks.

you have both

Garmin2597Guy wrote:

Thank you for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm very new to all of this. Are you saying that if I add custom POI, like the ones I described, then I'll have a mixture of those and the default ones on the map? Or, can I only have one or the other at one time? Sorry if that is a stupid question. Like I said, I'm new to this. Thanks.

After installing custom POI you will have both displayed. All custom locations can show on the screen, often as a dot unless an icon is available. There is a LEARN tab near the top right. I strongly suggest you go through the exercises there and read the FAQs. These will answer a lot of your questions and provide many pointers that will enhance your experience with your 2597.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

I am generally pleased with

I am generally pleased with the 2497lmt. I bought mine for $130 about one month ago, as a refurb unit. I got it online.

It is a decent unit. If someone is having a problem with the voice command activating on its own, that is CRAZY and RESOLVABLE. You create your own voice command to wake up the unit. Type your own phrase. Listen to the way the unit says the command, then, misspell the phrase until it sounds like how you say it.

I am generally satisfied. You can create custom POIs with custom icons and sounds (using wav files). You can expand storage with a microSDHC. These things are good and fun. I like having "Pizza! Pizza!" when I drive by Little Caesars and other goofy things (plays a song when I am close to home).

As for the directions, I find the directions calculated by google maps to be better. Garmin will get you there though.

Traffic is always 15 minutes delayed in my area. This means a new traffic jam does not show up until you are stuck in it. The info is helpful, but once again, the google maps info on your phone is better. YMMV. I drive many rural locations.

I do not have the red light and speed cam warnings yet. There are not enough near where I generally drive.

I drive with it on everywhere. It is good to have the reminder of the speed limit. I hate 3D views and have that disabled. I love having north facing maps always visible to help me learn the area better.

I rarely do much that is not accessible with a voice command.

I wish that when searching for a location, it would display the results on a map (like google maps) for me to select the best result. I have not seen that on many GPS units though.

I would buy one again, and I may buy a second for my wife in the near future. That said, I would also spend 30 minutes looking at other options at the store for comparison of a few features.

Just got a refurbished 2597 no manual yet

A couple questions:
Voice Command sometimes says This feature is not available for US in American English. Others work fine

Have 2020.30 installed.

How do I stop a trip ?

How to set up split lane change screen.

Is separate supply needed to get traffic

Did new ones come with it.
I thought traffic was gotten from paired smart phone
Is it worth it and still being used ?
Thanks

Well

Manual is a available on line and normally on the device, also there is a help feature on the nuvi.

1. To stop a trip just hit the stop icon or do a where to and select another destination if you have one.
2. You don't set up the split screen, if there is a junction view available it shows automatically.
3. Whether traffic came with it depends on the model, did it have T in it, eg 2597LMT

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Link to 2597 manuals

--
John from PA

nuvi 2597 traffic options

GeoC320 wrote:

A couple questions:
Is separate supply needed to get traffic

Did new ones come with it.
I thought traffic was gotten from paired smart phone
Is it worth it and still being used ?
Thanks

In the US market, I think the 2597 normally was packaged as the 2597LMT and came with the GTM-36 traffic receiver. It is compatible with the GTM-60 traffic receiver if you want HD traffic. I believe on this model that Garmin marketed the HD traffic version as the 2598LMTHD, but the 2597 is compatible if you want to add the GTM-60 receiver. Check your power cable to see if it is either the GTM-36 or GTM-60. If it is neither, then you probably did not receive a traffic receiver.

The 2597 is compatible with the Smartphone Link app for traffic and that would be the preferred traffic solution IMO. With Smartphone Link traffic, you do not need either the GTM-36 or GTM-60 to receive traffic information … a generic power cord with no traffic receiver will work.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

TA20

The Nuvi 2597 I have came with the TA20 car charger.It has what you call Garmin embedded traffic receiver.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks Charlie.

charlesd45 wrote:

The Nuvi 2597 I have came with the TA20 car charger.It has what you call Garmin embedded traffic receiver.

Thanks Charlie … I didn't realize that model was built in. In that case, GeoC320 should have Garmin traffic.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Traffic

alandb wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

The Nuvi 2597 I have came with the TA20 car charger.It has what you call Garmin embedded traffic receiver.

Thanks Charlie … I didn't realize that model was built in. In that case, GeoC320 should have Garmin traffic.

Not sure they all came like that. When I first got it,
I thought it had the wrong cable with it.Later on purchased the HD receiver.

One good thing about TA20,it is small and easy to move around. The HD like trying to wrap a snake around on the dash.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks all for replying

My power supply is blank and I get the message that's it's not compatible for traffic.

Funny thing happened when I was pairing my smart phone. It called home which was already programmed to someone in Florida and called her.
The stop icon is shaded out so I need to enable it.

I will have to do more studying on voice command since some of the commands work, but most of the ones on the left column don't

Really interested on using my phone for traffic since my car radio already has Bluetooth

Thanks all again !

Power supply

GeoC320 wrote:

My power supply is blank and I get the message that's it's not compatible for traffic.

The Garmin site (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/122521/pn/010-01123-30#acc...) shows the "Vehicle Power Cable" as P/N 010-11838-00 and $25. There are plenty at about 1/2 that price on eBay, just search on the 010-11838-00.

To check your Garmin Nuvi to see if it has the built-in traffic receiver or not; I think you can go to the Main Menu > Settings > scroll down to Device > About. Look for "Built in traffic receiver? Yes or No." If, No, it does not have a traffic receiver.

--
John from PA

followed your advice

It does have traffic rec built in
On Garmin site is a "Subscription" a yearly thing ?

Thanks

2597LMT

The LMT stands for lifetime maps and traffic.So no it is not a yearly thing.If you have the TA20 charger cable you are good to go. Look for number on the end section that plugs into the lighter.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

TA20

As a clarification, even though the traffic receiver is built in, the TA20 power cable is required because it contains the antenna for the built in receiver. A generic power cable does not have the antenna and therefore will not enable the traffic function.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Now that makes sense

I was wondering about that. Also every time I plug it in I get the message that I have the wrong power cord for traffic.

I also figured out that the STOP icon only brightens while you are headed to a place.

Somebody is going to tell me to RTFM pretty soon.

Thanks

$17

alandb wrote:

As a clarification, even though the traffic receiver is built in, the TA20 power cable is required because it contains the antenna for the built in receiver. A generic power cable does not have the antenna and therefore will not enable the traffic function.

$17 with shipping...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Genuine-Universal-Vehicle-Power-Cable-010-11838-00-for-Nuvi-GPS-more/362824625339?epid=202938772&hash=item547a086cbb:g:hxkAAOSwDuld2WJh

--
John from PA

Traffic

If your Garmin has a built in (embedded) Traffic Receiver the TA20, with a built in antenna, will provide power and receive the radio signal for your built in Traffic Receiver. Otherwise the TA20 will act as a vehicle power cable only. Part number for TA20= 320-00239-70

It you decide to purchase a traffic receiver, you may want to consider the GTM 60 HD Digital Traffic Receiver. It may cost you more but depending on where you live and the areas you travel.It may be the better option. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/104181#overview .Sure if you look around you can get a better price.

This link will show you the coverage area for the service you have. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18

Note be very selected when looking for the receiver cables. Looking at some reviews.The customers didn't get what they thought they were getting.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I down loaded phone app "Smart Phone Link"

and I now get Live Traffic, Find Parking and Weather from my smart link on my phone. The 2597LMT doesn't speak these topics, but I just installed it.
Is this a good as the power supply with the receiver ??

Bertter. More coverage.

Bertter. More coverage.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

phone app

Better.........
Thanks