Samantha Voice v 2.0

 

After doing some checking on my system. The Samantha voice is suppose to be version 2.0. This was updated long ago. I went to setting, device and then about and it still shows 1.20. I thought that maybe I didn't update it but the system was showing that I did. I pulled up Dashboard and it was showing Samantha voice 2.0 needed to be installed. I installed it and went back to check and sure enough, it was still at version 1.20. I then deleted version 1.20 from the gps knowing that version 2.0 would be installed then. I again installed version 2.0 but when I went to setting, device, and then about, it was showing version 1.20. Anyone else having this problem? Is this another blunder by Garmin because I have two Garmin Nuvi 2597 and both are showing version 1.20.

This is on a Garmin Nuvi 2597 with software version 4.30

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I've now updated my Voice Version thread:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/40282

Your nuvi 2597 uses the Garmin RealVoice (TTS3) with RealDirections voices, so you are correct that the English language voices have been updated to v2.00. But this was not a "long ago" update--they were revised to 2.00 just about one week ago, 5/23/14.

I updated my nuvi 3597 to all seven new V2.00 English language updates using WebUpdater (not Garmin Express or Dashboard) and six show v2.00 as being installed. But, as you point out, even though Samantha was updated to 2.00, it shows as still being v1.20. Good catch there, raycock! Yes, I believe Garmin offered a v2.00 Samantha TTS3, yet internally it's still displayed as 1.20. Whether or not the Samantha database update to 2.00 did occur or didn't occur is an unknown.

Samantha update ... NOT

I applied the supposed Samantha update to my 3597. It said it completed, but as has been reported, still shows as version 1.20. The .vpm file does have a new file date, so I know it actually replaced the file. But I did a binary compare to the previous file and they are identical. So I conclude that we still have version 1.20

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

uh-huh

alandb wrote:

I applied the supposed Samantha update to my 3597. It said it completed, but as has been reported, still shows as version 1.20. The .vpm file does have a new file date, so I know it actually replaced the file. But I did a binary compare to the previous file and they are identical. So I conclude that we still have version 1.20

I would agree.

--
nightrider --Nuvi's 660 & 680--

I checked mine and 1.20. Re

I checked mine and 1.20. Re installed it and checked the backup I had from a few months ago, same file size, which doesn't really mean much, but its the same.

The new version also say V 1.2.

It's Garmin...what else would we expect...lol

Samantha Voice 2.0

Just sent Garmin a support form and told them about the problem with the Samantha voice. I'll probably get a form letter like I did 2 weeks ago when I told them about another problem. Still have not heard back from them on that one either. Quality control is out the door where Garmin is concerned. It's all about the money.

Thanks...

this is helpful info.

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

What's the different between

What's the different between 2.0 and 1.2?

--
Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LTM-S

The difference is

helloguys wrote:

What's the different between 2.0 and 1.2?

One says 2.0 (unless you install it, then it'll say 1.2), and the other says 1.2; otherwise, identical (so far).

--
DriveLuxe 50, 2460LMT, 680 x 2, 3597LMTHD & 765T stolen

Thank You

Not my favorite voice (Karen is) but used on occasion.

FYI

I just checked to see if WebUpdater realizes today that Samantha v2 didn't update when the other voices did update to version 2 yesterday.

WebUpdater, as expected, reports that an update to Samantha v2.00 continues to be available although I also expect that the version available will remain 1.20 for a while.

Either Garmin will have to call the next Samantha update (that works) 2.10 or one of us will have to continue to try to install the 2.00, then see what's shown on the nuvi after the "update" is complete--and report it to us. I won't be the one to keep testing this.

The other remaining question is just what a "database update" means when it's the only reported change in a voice's Change History.

Might have to grab this one.

Might have to grab this one. smile Thanks for the update.

Response from Garmin

Garmin response

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We were able to duplicate these results on a nuvi 2597LMT. We have created a case and will be looking into this matter for a resolution.

Downloaded Samantha and Jack

Downloaded Samantha and Jack Monday.Went back this morning and Samantha showed again for download but not Jack on WebUpdater.Re-booted and Samantha TTS3 back again

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

A good start

raycock wrote:

Garmin response

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We were able to duplicate these results on a nuvi 2597LMT. We have created a case and will be looking into this matter for a resolution.

I have to think that this is a good start. Now we have to wait for a followup with results and an eventual voice update that works.

[Update]
I now have a faq listing the English language voices:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42708

If anyone finds newer voice updates, please let me know.

Contacted Garmin

Contact was made with Garmin Support and their reply is below concerning the Samantha voice.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be glad to help and apologize for the issue.

Our Subject Matter Experts are still working on a resolution for this issue that a case has been created for. We appreciate your patience in waiting for a resolution.

If you need additional assistance, please reply to this email or you can call 800-800-1020 anytime from 8:00am to 6:00pm Central, M-Th, 8:00am to 5:00pm Central, F (Closed Holidays).

Will keep you updated when situation resolved.

Interesting

GraigW,

After doing some checking, this is what I found on the system. It confirms that the Samantha voice was installed back in 2013.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4145

I guess that it never took. Garmin sent out the same version as before. One is TTS and the other is TTS3 but it's the same name and same version number.

That link is not "your" Samantha

raycock wrote:

GraigW,

After doing some checking, this is what I found on the system. It confirms that the Samantha voice was installed back in 2013.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4145

I guess that it never took. Garmin sent out the same version as before. One is TTS and the other is TTS3 but it's the same name and same version number.

That Samantha (the June 2013 version) is not the Samantha used by your nuvi 2597. It's the voice used by the low-end nuvi models and low-end voice engine. I can't remember which nuvis use the low-end voices--it may be the nuvi 2xx and others like that. Looking at your list of devices, I don't believe any of your devices used this 6/2013 Samantha--your devices use the two higher-quality voices (large filesize which has no Samantha, and "larger" TTS3 fileize which uses the very large Samantha--see the voice version faq). As stated earlier, the v2.00 TTS3 Samantha was offered 5/23/14 but as we know, it is really just 1.20.

Note that the Samantha you reference is a 2.21MB file, a very tiny voice file. The TTS3 "v2.00" Samantha used by your nuvi 2597 is an enormous 31.79MB. They are totally incompatible and require completely difference voice engines.

Just strange

I just thought that it was strange to have two Samantha's with both having the same version 2.0.

Same here on my 3597

Same here on my 3597

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

!

raycock wrote:

I just thought that it was strange to have two Samantha's with both having the same version 2.0.

If it helps, just think of one as being Samantha McGuilicuddy and the other as Samantha Mergenteiler--same first name but very different folks. laugh out loud

Not to be confused with Samantha Jones or Samantha Smith.

Samantha Voice 2.0 Resolved

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The issue preventing the American English-Samantha voice from updating has now been resolved. Please follow the steps below to update the English language files on your nuvi:

Connect your device to the computer
Open Garmin Express (this can be downloaded at www.garmin.com/express if you do not already have it on your computer)
Follow the on-screen instructions to add your device (if it is not already added)
Click the Device tab at the top of Garmin Express
Click the Option Updates link
Click Language Files under Optional Updates
Click English
Scroll down and click on Add to Updates
All the English languages on your device will now be updated, and your American English - Samantha voice should be updated to 2.00. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to further assist.

I guess that this applies to the Nuvi 3597 and all of the new devices that uses the newer TTS3 voices.

Excellent

raycock wrote:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The issue preventing the American English-Samantha voice from updating has now been resolved. Please follow the steps below to update the English language files on your nuvi:

Connect your device to the computer
Open Garmin Express (this can be downloaded at www.garmin.com/express if you do not already have it on your computer)
Follow the on-screen instructions to add your device (if it is not already added)
Click the Device tab at the top of Garmin Express
Click the Option Updates link
Click Language Files under Optional Updates
Click English
Scroll down and click on Add to Updates
All the English languages on your device will now be updated, and your American English - Samantha voice should be updated to 2.00. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to further assist.

I guess that this applies to the Nuvi 3597 and all of the new devices that uses the newer TTS3 voices.

Great work. Thank you. Here's the Change History:

Changes from version 2.00 to version 2.00:
Updated incorrect region file

Changes from version 1.20 to version 2.00:
Database updates

And since someone else will surely want to know, I successfully updated to Sam v2.00 with WebUpdater rather than Garmin Express.

:)

Updated with Garmin Express successfully.

So good to hear

I"m so glad that guys seem to need a Woman tell you what to do and where to go smile Such good training for you all. And very glad that you are taking action so hopefully Garmin will fix it all! Thanks!

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S