Rock Shops

 

Is there any interest in a POI file of Rock Shops across the US? I was thinking of talking to the people who run http://www.awesomerockshops.com about using their list as a basis.

-K

Wow, ok, scrap that source

Wow, ok, scrap that source idea. The guy who runs the web site, Dan Stewart of Sun Run Media, appears to be completely and utterly paranoid, not to mention greedy. Looks like he considers any web site that uses ads to support itself to be a competitor and considers the addresses of Rock Shops owned by others to be his personal property. Oh well.

-K

I kinda get it...

At first I thought "Rock Shops" was a chain store, and that would have made Mr. Stewart's reaction quite strange. But it appears that Rock Shops is simply a website that lists various otherwise unrelated shops across the country. In that case, the only thing of value that the website has is it's database. If that got out, anyone could build a better website (by hiring a good web designer) with the same content and put Rock Shops right out of business.

Are there any chain stores listed by Rock Shops? The stores themselves would probably be happy to give you a list of their locations.

too bad, don't let him stop you

help137 wrote:

Wow, ok, scrap that source idea. The guy who runs the web site... appears to be completely and utterly paranoid, not to mention greedy...

That's a shame. I can understand him wanting to retain traffic to his site, but you could have even let him distribute a copy of the POI (freely, I wouldn't suggest letting him sell it). That would have been more traffic to his website to get the free file and more traffic for people that got it through his site checking back to see if there are updates.

You could still do the project though, just would have to build up your own list. Don't use his, it is likely salted with bogus information so that he can prove it was stolen and sick a lawyer on you. And if you make one, don't put it in the public domain, retain control of it through a Creative Commons or similar license that lets people freely share it, but doesn't let greedy people with websites sell it.

Back to the question

I would love a Rock shop POI.

Would also like one for where to dig for gems.

Searched for one to dig but couldn't find it.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Above link

I went to the above link and can't find the list of rock shops.

Edit: Never mind, I found the search...

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

personal use

help137 wrote:

Wow, ok, scrap that source idea.
-K

There is nothing stopping you from stripping the data from his web site and building a file for your personal use. He can only complain if you post the POI to another site such as POI-Factory.

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."

Check them first

Box Car wrote:
help137 wrote:

Wow, ok, scrap that source idea.
-K

There is nothing stopping you from stripping the data from his web site and building a file for your personal use. He can only complain if you post the POI to another site such as POI-Factory.

Hard Rock Products on his site is not a "Rock Shop" It sells stone for housing and stuff like that. I drive by it a lot...

Monterone Round Rock is an apartment building

Edit: I wouldn't use this site. I have search several postings and I think all he did was search for the word rock and put the listing there. It needs completely redone.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I did that...

Frovingslosh wrote:

That's a shame. I can understand him wanting to retain traffic to his site, but you could have even let him distribute a copy of the POI (freely, I wouldn't suggest letting him sell it). That would have been more traffic to his website to get the free file and more traffic for people that got it through his site checking back to see if there are updates.

I did make that offer to him. He didn't get it. Having checked more into his "company" (An LLC registered to his home address. Nice shot of the house on Google Street View though. Expensive neighborhood.) it appears he's in it solely for the ad revenue. No actual interest in the subject.
I'm not going to give up, but it's going to be a much slower project. Unfortunately, all the various forms of yellow pages seem to include all the stone building supply places in their Rock Shop categories.

-K

Contribute your local shop info

mgarledge wrote:

I would love a Rock shop POI.

Would also like one for where to dig for gems.

Searched for one to dig but couldn't find it.

Well, if you (and others) are willing to contribute the info on their local shops I woudl be more than happy to assemble it here.

-K

Personal yes, but intended purpose, no

Box Car wrote:
help137 wrote:

Wow, ok, scrap that source idea.
-K

There is nothing stopping you from stripping the data from his web site and building a file for your personal use. He can only complain if you post the POI to another site such as POI-Factory.

For personal use, that is correct. But since my goal was to have it up here for all Rock Hounds and Collectors to use and contribute to in their travels, that would be more work than I'm willing to undertake for just my own use.

-K

I agree

mgarledge wrote:

Hard Rock Products on his site is not a "Rock Shop" It sells stone for housing and stuff like that. I drive by it a lot...

Monterone Round Rock is an apartment building

Edit: I wouldn't use this site. I have search several postings and I think all he did was search for the word rock and put the listing there. It needs completely redone.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion also. Especially comparing the local results on his site to my local yellow pages. That appears to be exactly what he's done, plus a few that others have entered into his "Add to the list" form.

-K

Too Funny

Oh wow, this is just too funny now. He's blocked the IP address of the system I used to initially contact him from accessing his site. Definitely paranoid! rolleyes Hopefully he didn't block the entire ISP (One of the largest in the country). Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

-K

unfortunately can not find one

help137 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Hard Rock Products on his site is not a "Rock Shop" It sells stone for housing and stuff like that. I drive by it a lot...

Monterone Round Rock is an apartment building

Edit: I wouldn't use this site. I have search several postings and I think all he did was search for the word rock and put the listing there. It needs completely redone.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion also. Especially comparing the local results on his site to my local yellow pages. That appears to be exactly what he's done, plus a few that others have entered into his "Add to the list" form.

-K

The reason I would like a poi of rock shops is I can't find any in my area. I will keep looking and let you know if I find one.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

best wishes

Good luck with the project. I'm glad that you're not giving up on it. Yea, loys of people in the yellow pages under some rocks headings want to sell you stones for your driveway or yard. You also may want to think about and clearly define what you want to include and exclude. Many of the people that you will find under some Lapidary category make and sell unique one-of-a-kind craft items made from stone, but don't sell the equipment such as saws and polished to make such things. I hope that the file is limited to people who actually make available Lapidary tools and supplies, but either way it should be clear what is and what isn't included in the file.