The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is:

 

The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is:

10. Stupid
9. A lot of attention seeking publicity
8. Better than the old school practice such as the Winter of 2010 or Blizzard of 1947.
7. A guaranteed money making idea.
6. Where are they getting these ‘new age’ names anyway?
5. A prelude to them naming heat waves in the summer.
4. A cover for their inability to forecast any better than anyone else.
3. I don’t have cable. They are doing what?
2 Jealousy that they are not NOAA.
1 (Your opinion, recommendations , names go here)

grin

I would have added

350Zee wrote:

The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is:

10. Stupid
9. A lot of attention seeking publicity
8. Better than the old school practice such as the Winter of 2010 or Blizzard of 1947.
7. A guaranteed money making idea.
6. Where are they getting these ‘new age’ names anyway?
5. A prelude to them naming heat waves in the summer.
4. A cover to their inability to forecast any better than anyone else.
3. I don’t have cable. They are doing what?
2 Jealousy that they are not NOAA.
1 (Your opinion, recommendations , names go here)

grin

Idiotic to the list.

(I don't know about your cable system but ours stretches the WX Channel so at the edges of the screen you get some strange body parts.)

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Very Dramatic

Very dramatic, but worthless.
It's actually confusing for long-lived storms which regenerate.
This happened after I retired from the NWS 13 years ago & must represent the freedom of the private sector. It's reminiscent of naming hurricanes, but doesn't have the impact because of the widely varying conditions of these types of storms.

Fred

It is...

A marketing scam... and pure drek.

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

I would say..

..it's a gimic.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

1

The on-camera people think it's cool.
Off topic. What happened to Heather Tesh?

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

does it really matter what a

does it really matter what a storm is named??

~

spokybob wrote:

Off topic. What happened to Heather Tesh?

Exploring options... http://heathertesch.tv

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

.

and the #1 reason is..... NBC told us to do so

--
Garmin nuvi 2455LMT (wife uses nuvi 255w) (sold C330)

what's a weather channel?

Since ComcastNBC took over, weather has taken a backseat to WeatherCelebrity status.

Let's see 'em trademark that!

--

it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: IMac quad-core i3, Mac Mini, MacOS: Mojave 10.14.6/Catalina 10.15.2. and introducing The Beast, a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit and his Garmin DriveSmart 5. The dog's name is Ginger.

All of the Above?

Actually, I do have cable, and I don't think it's better than #8. rolleyes

--
Shooter N32 39 W97 25 VIA 1535TM, Lexus built-in, TomTom Go

Named Winter Storms

A pointless gimmick. Honestly, if someone asked you about winter storm ***** even a few months down the line would you even know what they were talking about? Silliness!

The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is:

useless

--
TomTom built in and Garmin Nuvi 1490T. Eastern Iowa, formerly Southern California "You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave."

The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is:

The Weather Channel’s practice of naming winter storms is: A tempest in a teapot.

Better idea

They should hire George Foreman to name storms. Like his kids, all of them would have the same name.

Good Idea

grtlake wrote:

They should hire George Foreman to name storms. Like his kids, all of them would have the same name.

Good idea grtlake. Maybe WC could name them all Norman. WC staff could then just call them all "Stormin' Norman".

times have changed

When we were in college, a 13" snowstorm meant we were in the car, cutting-class, and skiing at Killington, putting on chains if necessary.

Today, 1 1/2" of snow and the 6th largest city in the nation grinds to a halt and it's like Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds. A 35 min. commute to work becomes 2 hours. And we wonder what's going on with our economy.

Heather Tesch

She was good. But it always comes down to money.
She was on for a long time and probably made a decent buck. easier to get rid of her so they can start somebody else for less money. Big mistake.

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

#1 consensus

seems to be it's a gimick and I'd agree. Just an easier way for them to ID storms than coming up with cute rhyming names like in the past. But still useless, unhelpful, and borderline pathetic.

--
Winston Churchill said, “Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.”

10

Stupid

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

Useful Gimmicks

With a continuous news cycle, specialty television channels need issues to focus on. So we have on the spot coverage of audacious trials, tragic incidents, and yes, weather events.

In Canada The Weather Network has been a strong proponent of several initiatives to make weather-related information more meaningful to the public. I actually hear people talk about the UV Index or the Pollen Index, which are broadcast hourly on The Weather Network.

At the moment, naming storms may seem like a gimmick. But prior to the 1940s they didn't name hurricanes. Now everyone in the US knows what you're talking about when you say Hurricane Hazel, Hurricane Katrina and Typhoon Haiyan.

Sure it's a gimmick - but it's a useful one.

Like Crying wolf

It is difficult enough for NOAA to get the public to heed warnings about named tropical storms and hurricanes. Naming far less threatening winter storms just serves to dilute the vital importance of this practice.

Right

bdhsfz6 wrote:

It is difficult enough for NOAA to get the public to heed warnings about named tropical storms and hurricanes. Naming far less threatening winter storms just serves to dilute the vital importance of this practice.

You have that exactly right! The idea is to name very few things that are of great importance.

Fred

Why sweat it

They figured if they named hurricanes they might as well name a snow storm. I be won't home tonight dear I'm out with Derek..

--
John_nuvi_

Winter Storms

Does any one remember Winter Storm Atlas?
How about Tropical Storm Sandy?

Atlas killed tens of thousands of livestock in WY & SD in October. The whole area was paralyzed under 3 feet of snow & 4 feet in Deadwood. How quickly TWC moves on.

Sandy however is still in the news.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

To the point!

spokybob wrote:

Does any one remember Winter Storm Atlas? How about Tropical Storm Sandy? Atlas killed tens of thousands of livestock in WY & SD in October. The whole area was paralyzed under 3 feet of snow & 4 feet in Deadwood. How quickly TWC moves on. Sandy however is still in the news.

NYC weather historians still talk of the Blizzard of 1947 (complete w/Wikipedia entry), or the cold winter of 1976-77 when the East River became clogged w/ice all the way down to the 59th St./Queensboro Bridge. There was the record setting mid 90's cold wave in the Hudson Valley where the entire NE ran out of salt & sand & snow banks piled up so high that highway sides blocked the view of entering & exiting traffic. I'm sure each one of us can recall equally memorable local weather anomalies.

If only the Weather Channel's current practice of naming winter storms were the media's and this country's most vexing problems. Meanwhile were're hunkered for "Electra" this weekend.

Thanks POI for letting us drop by here & remissness. laugh out loud

Atlas

spokybob wrote:

Does any one remember Winter Storm Atlas?
How about Tropical Storm Sandy?

Atlas killed tens of thousands of livestock in WY & SD in October. The whole area was paralyzed under 3 feet of snow & 4 feet in Deadwood. How quickly TWC moves on.

Sandy however is still in the news.

I got delayed a day there. That is Wall, SD. They had 48" of snow.

--
John_nuvi_

Duluth, MN

@ weekends ago had 25-30" of snow. What was that storm?

--
John_nuvi_

YESSSS< NAME 'EM!!! - - -

YESSSS< NAME 'EM!!!

YHY not... because none of us thought of it before THEM?!?!?!?

-Where is the harm???

---It DOES lend us a hand in remembering them!

So0o0o0o... WHY NOTTT!?!?!?

Because we did not think of it before... is Nooooo excuse!!!--

--
~Jim~ Nuvi-660, & Nuvi-680

8

...It gives a little Yumph to boring weather reporting?!