Hidden Files | How do I show hidden files on my computer?
In order to view some protected files on some Garmin units such as mapping image files, show hidden files and folders will need to be enabled. Enabling this feature can be accomplished using the following steps.
=== PC ===
Windows 8 and 10:
1) Open the Control Panel. (Right click on the Windows square in the bottom left of your computer screen. Select Control Panel and click on it.)
2) Inside Control Panel, click on "Appearance and Personalization", then "Folder Options" or “File Explorer Options". This will open the File Explorer Options window.
3) Inside the File Explorer Options window, click on the "view" tab.
- Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
- Remove check mark for “Hide Empty Drives”
- Remove check mark for “Hide protected operating system files” (Recommended)”
To show hidden extensions for your files, remove the check mark from "Hide extensions for known file types".
4) After the check marks are removed, click "OK" to save the change.
Windows 7 and Vista:
Click the start button.
In the search field type "folder".
In the search results select "folder options".
On the next window click on the view tab.
In the view tab select the show hidden files and folder option. Take the check-mark out of hide protected system files (Recommended).
Click on apply.
To show hidden extensions for you files.Remove the check-mark from the check-box labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
=== Mac ===
For Mac users, Ian Lunn has a great guide posted on his web site: