IOS 6 NAV: too many mistakes to be a legit product at this point in time

 

IOS 6 NAV: too many mistakes to be a legit product at this point in time

http://gizmodo.com/5944897/17-people-apple-maps-has-already-...

Directions are goofy, POI's are mislabeled or not located in the correct spot.

I'm sure Apple will learn from their mistakes and will eventually have a great product but for now I don't want to be a BETA tester.

I'm glad I have my NUVI's.

<<Page 2

not really.

kch50428 wrote:
Box Car wrote:

state iOS6 is more an incremental upgrade.

Reviews written by Android fanbois say that.

You seem a pretty big ifanboi.

I carry both iPhone 4S and Android. iOS 6 is an incremental upgrade, nothing more.

A few nice features, but nothing about it has really changed my iPhone that's really revolutionary. The biggest thing is do not disturb, even that could be made better.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

This is a funny story

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

I have found the more I use

I have found the more I use Maps the more I like it. It won't replace my Garmin but it works for me when I need it.

So far mine has worked fine

So far mine has worked fine without any problems. I did report one issue where an address is listed as a golf course but is now a development. The satellite photo was correct just the poi said Pines Golf. The change took place about a year and a half ago so I really consider that more of an update than an error. Those situations will always be present no matter what you use.

Still waiting. I'm hoping to

Still waiting. I'm hoping to upgrade my iphone 4 to iOS6 or upgrade to the new iPhone 5 when Apple works out the map situation. Until then I will stay with iOS5 on the iPhone 4.

Why wait....

ryten wrote:

Still waiting. I'm hoping to upgrade my iphone 4 to iOS6 or upgrade to the new iPhone 5 when Apple works out the map situation. Until then I will stay with iOS5 on the iPhone 4.

Get a new Android phone and have all the best....latest android phones outperform Iphone 5 by a large margin..faster, navigation, features, ease of use, loading picture and music files, card slot for expansion, connector that works with other electronics, NFC Android and S beam, and on and on and on. That is unless you just have to have an iphone...

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Reference...

farrissr wrote:
ryten wrote:

Still waiting. I'm hoping to upgrade my iphone 4 to iOS6 or upgrade to the new iPhone 5 when Apple works out the map situation. Until then I will stay with iOS5 on the iPhone 4.

Get a new Android phone and have all the best....latest android phones outperform Iphone 5 by a large margin..faster, navigation, features, ease of use, loading picture and music files, card slot for expansion, connector that works with other electronics, NFC Android and S beam, and on and on and on. That is unless you just have to have an iphone...

Any reference to these claims or just your opinion?

Gotten Better

Since day one Apple has been updating the maps behind the scenes and now the Apple stores have the capability to provide mapping feedback back to corporate.

I have used the product several times and so far the directions have perform as good as my Garmin. I love using my apple maps more cause the apple POI's are online and Garmin has limited POI's stored on the hard drive of the NUVI.
Give it time and Apple will have a tremendous product.

Typical fanboi...

farrissr wrote:

Get a new Android phone and have all the best....latest android phones outperform Iphone 5 by a large margin..faster, navigation, features, ease of use, loading picture and music files, card slot for expansion, connector that works with other electronics, NFC Android and S beam, and on and on and on. That is unless you just have to have an iphone...

FBI Issues Android Warning: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/10/15/fbi-issues-android-wa...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

In case you were asleep

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

For what it's worth

I took my annual trip to SW Wisconsin for Apples & Cheese a little over a week ago, and ran my iPhone4S with iOS6 maps along side my Nuvi 765T, and iPad using Navigon - the iOS6 maps performed every bit as well as the other two - even in Amish country around Cahston, WI where one is just as likely to see horse-drawn carriages and wagons as another car.

The hype about the problems with iOS6 maps is just that - hype. Are there issues with it? Sure. They are being fixed. Just like Garmin fixed the issue I had where a firmware update bricked my 765T until I could update it.

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Same here

I keep running my Nuvi and the iOS 6 maps and the iOS 6 has been good.

Once a Molehill, Still a Molehill

Well, after a couple weeks of using Apple Maps along with the Garmin App, Navigon, and a Montana, this whole issue is just silly. I haven't seen the problems like are being hyped. It is just that Apple is so big and successful, they are a huge target for even the most trivial. It's like watching candidates for elected office selectively choose soundbites and then twisting and distorting. When you sit back and really look in context at what is going on, it is just laughable.

Just look at the Droid TV ad, where they make fun of the people waiting on line for the new iDevice. They make it look like the Droid can do what the iPhone can't when the iPhone has been doing just that for years. The Bump app comes to mind. That was years ago, it is so old news. But it is new to the Droid world.

Even though Google Maps has been around for years, is was still not perfect. I would often use another nav resource to check Google results if it didn't look right. Glad I did. Even now, there can be registration issues, where adjacent images don't line up correctly. Oh my goodness!!!! Start the tar boiling, get the feathers ready!

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

Thanks, But No Thanks

Yeah, like this is soooooooooooo much more desirable:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57526994-94/android-users-o...

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

Bump...

diesel wrote:

Well, after a couple weeks of using Apple Maps along with the Garmin App, Navigon, and a Montana, this whole issue is just silly. I haven't seen the problems like are being hyped. It is just that Apple is so big and successful, they are a huge target for even the most trivial. It's like watching candidates for elected office selectively choose soundbites and then twisting and distorting. When you sit back and really look in context at what is going on, it is just laughable.

Just look at the Droid TV ad, where they make fun of the people waiting on line for the new iDevice. They make it look like the Droid can do what the iPhone can't when the iPhone has been doing just that for years. The Bump app comes to mind. That was years ago, it is so old news. But it is new to the Droid world.

Even though Google Maps has been around for years, is was still not perfect. I would often use another nav resource to check Google results if it didn't look right. Glad I did. Even now, there can be registration issues, where adjacent images don't line up correctly. Oh my goodness!!!! Start the tar boiling, get the feathers ready!

Bump is not even close to the same as the NFC function in Android phones....check it out....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Consumers dismiss Apple Maps uproar...

Consumers dismiss Apple Maps uproar, plan to buy iPhone 5 in record numbers

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232356/Consumers_dis...

...and this is all completely easy to understand, once you consider the mindset of most iOS phone & tablet buyers, and what really motivates to buy that specific product line, year after year.

A clue is apparent in the higher popularity of iOS devices among "artistic" types. People in this group tend to have a far more arbitrary decision-making process than the general population, one that automatically overlooks all else if certain subjective criteria are met. Their decision to buy iOS devices is not the conclusion of a structured, objective analysis, and has very little to do with functionality either.

It will take a while yet for the iOS devices to fall out of favor with this group, but I expect that when it does, the consensus among them will be that it all started to unravel when their iconic hero Steve Jobs died.

Blah, Blah, Blah

In the mean time, Apple stock is predicted to hit $1,000 a share.

http://tinyurl.com/9qxqhmh

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

Not Why Folks Buy iPhone

I doubt that the primary reason folks buy iPhone is for the Maps app. There are hundreds of other good reasons. The trouble with Maps is an irritant, but will likely stop very few people from otherwise buying the iPhone.

I'm sure Maps will improve with time, meanwhile continue to use those great Garmins if you want to be certain of traveling info!

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone X, Mazda MX-5 Nav

Actually your assumption is incorrect

Tuckahoemike wrote:

Not Why Folks Buy iPhone
I doubt that the primary reason folks buy iPhone is for the Maps app. There are hundreds of other good reasons. The trouble with Maps is an irritant, but will likely stop very few people from otherwise buying the iPhone.

Mapping programs are among the most popular apps accessed on mobile devices and a key point of competition in the mobile arms race.

According to Opus Research, mobile ads that appear on maps and location apps account for a quarter of about $2.5 billion spent on ads on wireless devices this year. That's up from 10% in 2010, the research firm said. Among iPhone owners, Google Maps was the second most popular app used in March, after Apple's iTunes store, online measurement firm comScore reported ( http://tinyurl.com/7gp46cw ). With Android smartphone users, Google Maps was the third most popular, after the Android marketplace and Google Search apps.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

no message

.

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

?

Where does using them as a phone come in? smile

And if Google maps are ad supported, that's enough reason to use Garmin USA which is what I currently am using on my iPhone.

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

A long time ago, it was about tulips...

Last Mrk wrote:

In the mean time, Apple stock is predicted to hit $1,000 a share.

http://tinyurl.com/9qxqhmh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

... now it's about Apple.

There's not a much better example of why the mania was not purged from the markets in 2001 and 2009, and that the markets are currently nearing the top of the latest Fed-inflated bubble, than the proposition that Apple is the most valuable company on earth.

predictions, predictions

Last Mrk wrote:

In the mean time, Apple stock is predicted to hit $1,000 a share.

The day that happens GOOG will be at $1,500

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

...and the day after that...

flaco wrote:
Last Mrk wrote:

In the mean time, Apple stock is predicted to hit $1,000 a share.

The day that happens GOOG will be at $1,500

...and the day after that, most gas station owners will be trying to find space to add another digit on the left side of their gas price signs.

The day that happens GOOG will be at $1,500

Maybe, maybe not. Of course Apple's drop from it's high also.

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra
<<Page 2