thief arrested trying to sell stolen GPS unts

 
--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

The police estimate the

The police estimate the value of four GPSs is about $2000.00.

$2000?

What were they made out of?

~

scyntax wrote:

$2000...What were they made out of?

I believe the story indicates that's the collective value of all the items recovered... or he could have had 10 GPSrs @$200 retail each...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

3 of the four GPS

Were estimated to be worth $2000 ?
Reminds me of the guy stopped on the TV show COPS.
He had $100 in 20 dollars bills. The Cop said "AHA Drug money." Maybe the Cop has never used an ATM

Lots of cash

GeoC320 wrote:

Were estimated to be worth $2000 ?
Reminds me of the guy stopped on the TV show COPS.
He had $100 in 20 dollars bills. The Cop said "AHA Drug money." Maybe the Cop has never used an ATM

I saw a woman checking into a hotel last week when I was traveling for work. The hotel said she could pay cash like she wanted to but insisted she give them a credit card for security. She said that was cool as long as the room charge didn't go on the card. She then proceeded to count out over $840 in $20 bills. I have to admit I thought it a bit odd..........

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

could be worse

GeoC320 wrote:

Were estimated to be worth $2000 ?
Reminds me of the guy stopped on the TV show COPS.
He had $100 in 20 dollars bills. The Cop said "AHA Drug money." Maybe the Cop has never used an ATM

A Best Buy had someone arrested for counterfeiting because he tried to pay for a purchase with 2 dollar bills.

They should not have done that

blake7mstr wrote:

....A Best Buy had someone arrested for counterfeiting because he tried to pay for a purchase with 2 dollar bills.

That could cause Best Buy a problem because 2 dollar bills are legal tender.

2 dollar bills

Evert - I think blake7mstr was being facetious.

Hmmm

spullis wrote:

Evert - I think blake7mstr was being facetious.

To me that is not readily apparent. Course I an a feeble minded old man. smile

wish

spullis wrote:

Evert - I think blake7mstr was being facetious.

I could say I was, but think about the cashiers and managers of Best Buy. How may 2 dollar bills have you seen in circulation

try this link http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=29732

I can't wait to see the impending lawsuit....

Free stereo gear for life!

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Where did i put them?

camerabob wrote:

I can't wait to see the impending lawsuit....

Free stereo gear for life!

I have some stashed away - maybe I should dig them out and go buy something with them at Best Buy. Maybe use some of my dollar coins as well. smile

$2 bills

Sheesh............ What a bunch of freaking MORONS!

I have a number of $2 bills. A friend of mine used to get a pile of them every month. He worked for a state agency and only got paid once a month. He was disabled and rode to and from work on para-transit every day and the cost was $2 per trip. He always kept a pile of $2 bills for that express purpose.

A local geocacher (retiredprof) leaves a $2 as a first-to-find prize in all of his geocaches. The things are perfectly legal tender. If this was me I'd be checking into legal action for public humiliation, etc.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Are People Really THAT Stupid..!!..?

blake7mstr wrote:
spullis wrote:

Evert - I think blake7mstr was being facetious.

I could say I was, but think about the cashiers and managers of Best Buy. How may 2 dollar bills have you seen in circulation

try this link http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=29732

Relating to the above link on the arrest of the man using $2 bills..

Commenting on the incident, Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey told the Sun: "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that excuse used over and over again for the justification of having people arrested for doing things that are completely legal.

Take the following link (Photography Is Not A Crime), as a example..

http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

Nuvi1300WTGPS

P.S. I hope the guy sues Best Buy and the Police for all they're worth.

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

items returned

Glad the legal owners of the GPS's got them back.

There's been a few times I sold computer equipment that I no longer use, and legally owned, off of Craigslist. Sometimes people will want to meet in front of a grocery store, etc, since it is closer, or easier to find. Hope the police don't think the same as the ones in AZ did.

Best buy has me ticked at the moment

Went in this past Saturday and they had only one cash register open. Credit or Debit only please. At least half that store heard me. What kind of manager leaves only one register open that does not take cash.

I'm rapidly headed back to dealing cash only. My bank now wants to charge me a monthly fee for having a Debit/Check card. I'm going to another bank until they do the same thing. Then when I cannot find a bank that does not do this then I'll turn in the Debit card and and go back to writing checks.

Paying cash

thrak wrote:

I saw a woman checking into a hotel last week when I was traveling for work. The hotel said she could pay cash like she wanted to but insisted she give them a credit card for security. She said that was cool as long as the room charge didn't go on the card. She then proceeded to count out over $840 in $20 bills. I have to admit I thought it a bit odd..........

One of my friends drove his 70-ish year old but still sprightly mom to the car dealer to pick up her new car. She pulled over $20,000 cash out of her purse and proceeded to count it out on the business managers desk. He said he almost fainted.

Paying cash

I gave my daughter a sack of one dollar bills for her 21st birthday. She & her mother went to Sears to buy a new washing machine. The guy was not happy. He had to count it (twice) per company rules. He wanted her to write a check instead. She said "my dad said I could spend it any way I wanted, and this is what I want."

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Credit Unions

Thats why i am in a credit union they dont have all those stupid charges.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

Good for her

In the case of your daughter buying a washing machine with $1 bills.....good for her!

--
Nuvi 360, OS X Lion 10.7

"2 dollar bills" = two

"2 dollar bills" = two one-dollar bills
"$2 bills" = more than one two-dollar bills

</diction nazi>

--
"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality." — albert camus

Gotcha

aarrgghh wrote:

"2 dollar bills" = two one-dollar bills
"$2 bills" = more than one two-dollar bills

</diction nazi>

"$2 bills" = more than one two-dollar bill (not plural)

Not a diction Nazi wink

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Not so unusual......

thrak wrote:

I saw a woman checking into a hotel last week when I was traveling for work. The hotel said she could pay cash like she wanted to but insisted she give them a credit card for security. She said that was cool as long as the room charge didn't go on the card. She then proceeded to count out over $840 in $20 bills. I have to admit I thought it a bit odd..........

Some reasons could be: hiding from husband or boyfriend, meeting a lover and don't want anyone to know she stayed at the hotel? Our minds can go wild.

I remember when bringing cash from a different country, you're allowed to carry $10K without declaring either at the departing country, or to the USA when entering. I brought $9800 just to be safe, almost two decades ago. Walked into a car dealership and purchased a used Van for $9200, in cash! You should see the eyes of the sales person! Cash, why not a check? I said, it's Friday night! My credit union doesn't open on weekends and I'm afraid you depositing the check might be processed sooner (and bounce back) before I had the chance to deposit the cash. He was so concerned where to keep the money overnight, as banks were closed by that time. I ended up receiving a letter from the dealership informing they had reported the transaction to the IRS with my SSN. No problem on my part, I wasn't hiding anything!

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

LOL

thrak wrote:

I saw a woman checking into a hotel last week when I was traveling for work. The hotel said she could pay cash like she wanted to but insisted she give them a credit card for security. She said that was cool as long as the room charge didn't go on the card. She then proceeded to count out over $840 in $20 bills. I have to admit I thought it a bit odd..........

LOL That is very odd!!

People are very strange indeed.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

that would make you a

that would make you a grammar nazi.

camerabob wrote:

"$2 bills" = more than one two-dollar bill (not plural)

Not a diction Nazi wink

--
"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality." — albert camus

taco bell

I don't know about that, but it really did happen at a Taco Bell years ago. And I has some dolt at a different chain local fast food place insist mine wasn't real either (and for evidence they pointed out that it didn't include a colored stripe under UV light, which isn't there for a $1 bill either), although it never got as far as anyone calling the cops in my case.

why did they have it

batera wrote:

... I ended up receiving a letter from the dealership informing they had reported the transaction to the IRS with my SSN. No problem on my part, I wasn't hiding anything!

Why in the world would you give a car dealer your SSN? Giving it out to those who you are not required to by law is just asking for identity thief problems. And here you have a clear case of them telling you that they tried to cause you a problem, even though they were under no legal obligation to report the transaction.

And since you paid cash for the car, they should have had no chance to get the SSN$ from a credit check.

You may say you had nothing to hide in this case, but being too free with such information can eventually cause you problems. And even though you did nothing illegal, that certainly doesn't mean that some brain dead cowboy government type isn't going to try to cause you trouble and make you spend a lot of time and money to prove that you didn't. Don't invite trouble, keep private information private.

I've read a couple of those links

I've read a couple of those links,it must be hell to live over there. I'm having a bad day with my 2 inches of snow. There seems to be somebody calling the cops just cause you do your hair wrong, everybody's suing each other, people carrying guns and shooting each other, hell we don't even carry gun. I'm staying here in the south sea islands, the sun will shine again soon.

Is it really as bad as it sounds

--
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present...

ssn

Frovingslosh wrote:
batera wrote:

... I ended up receiving a letter from the dealership informing they had reported the transaction to the IRS with my SSN. No problem on my part, I wasn't hiding anything!

Why in the world would you give a car dealer your SSN? Giving it out to those who you are not required to by law is just asking for identity thief problems. And here you have a clear case of them telling you that they tried to cause you a problem, even though they were under no legal obligation to report the transaction.
...

This happened almost 20 years ago! They collected my SSN in order to process the title transfer and new tags.

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

$20.00 bills

A number of years ago, my son worked at Wendy's. A gentleman came in and placed his order. Upon paying, he handed the girl running the register a $20.00 bill. The bills had just been changed to the new updated look and she told the man she could not accept it because it was not real money. My son had to tell her that it was real money and she could accept it. He said she just had this dumb look on her face. She said she had never seen anything like it before.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Money

Many years ago while working at an airline, a flight attendant comes up and says a guy wants to pay for his drink with a one thousand dollar bill. I'm sure he used this ruse every flight to get free drinks as no one would have change. The captain happened to be buying a used motorcycle where we were going to land and had a lot of cash. He asked the flight attendant to bring up the bill. He promptly gives her change and tells her to take it back to the passenger.

Upon landing the passenger is as mad as a hornet and wants his $1000 bill back as it is much more valuable than the face value. The captain asked if the flight attendant gave him change. He said yes. The captain said we have nothing to talk about and walked off the jet. I still chuckle over this many years later.

--
Dudlee

similar story

My dad drove a city bus, just before WW2. A regular passenger on his first stop handed him a ten dollar bill for a fare of 10 cents. He let her ride free. The next two days she did the same thing. He asked the boss for extra $10 worth of pennies. As luck would have it, she did not have a dime either that day and had to accept 990 pennies as change.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

I believe it

nuvic320 wrote:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/2011/08...

Trying to sell them for $15...wow how prices have fallen.

The going price on a hot GPS a couple of years ago was
$25, but they cost more new then. Also given the competition from smartphones et al and given the hit to disposable income, I can believe that the price may be dropping towards $15.

--
JMoo On

not a valid reason.

batera wrote:

This happened almost 20 years ago! They collected my SSN in order to process the title transfer and new tags.

They certainly didn't need you SS# for that, even 30 years ago (I'm old enough that I've bought cars before and after that date and have never and will never give an automobile dealer my SS#).

Want to see how much it is really needed? Next time a car dealer absolutely must have it to make the transfer, just say "Never mind, I'll buy somewhere else" and see how quickly they change their tune.

Sure hope they throw the

Sure hope they throw the book at him! I think companies with devices that get registered under accounts (i.e iPhone, iPod, GPS, etc.) should be required to provide better tracability of devices when they are stolen. If someone knows their Serial number then the company should be required to provide the "new owner" information to the police.

Making Change

maddog67 wrote:

A number of years ago, my son worked at Wendy's. ...

Ever do something like when the register bill is $3.85 hand the clerk $4.10 so you get a quarter change instead just $4 and getting 15 cents change? Or handing them $20.25 for a $19.25 bill so you get a buck back instead of pocket change?

On a cranky day when I was in no mood to shrug off stupidity, I paid $4.10 at McDonald's for a $3.85 bill. The girl looks at the register display, down at my money in her hand, back at the display. Then gives me back the dime and said I had overpaid. I told her to just go ahead and punch it in and the register would tell her what to do. "But you paid too much!".

"Just do it." No, she called the manager over. I explained that I already had dimes and nickels in my pocket and preferred a quarter change. He said, "Mister, we're not a bank. You can't put in more money than you owe." Blind leading the blind...

Not as bad as it sounds

ShenanigansNZ wrote:

I've read a couple of those links,it must be hell to live over there. I'm having a bad day with my 2 inches of snow. There seems to be somebody calling the cops just cause you do your hair wrong, everybody's suing each other, people carrying guns and shooting each other, hell we don't even carry gun. I'm staying here in the south sea islands, the sun will shine again soon.

Is it really as bad as it sounds

Most people use open forums to vent how they feel, and most of the time, because they desire someone to feel their distress or pain, they rant.
Most people in America are great people with kind hearts, it is only the few that make it appear to be different.
Concerning those on this forum, some are retired and find it a place to vent their feelings while others take pleasure in answering questions. USA!! USA!!!

--
Being ALL I can be for HIM! Jesus. Kenwood DNX9980HD Garmin 885t

Check IRS site

Frovingslosh wrote:

They certainly didn't need you SS# for that, even 30 years ago (I'm old enough that I've bought cars before and after that date and have never and will never give an automobile dealer my SS#).

Want to see how much it is really needed? Next time a car dealer absolutely must have it to make the transfer, just say "Never mind, I'll buy somewhere else" and see how quickly they change their tune.

Hi, check this FAQ:
FAQs Regarding Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Form 8300)

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=148821,00....

cheers,

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W