Why can't Garmin allow a direct install of Mapsource?

 

I just reinstalled Mapsource on my laptop after I upgraded to a new hard drive.

After doing the normal install of the latest map, running the installer file then the set up file, I have a Mapsource up and running again.

You would think that since they are already providing the full program for download from their site for free, a simple installer would allow people just to install it.

What's the point of making the user unpack the installation files manually instead of just allowing a direct install?

Not looking for Garmin bashing, so trolls begone. Just curious if there is any sensible reason for doing this to the end user?

And yes, I have requested my install disc too.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

What Is

What is the latest version of Mapsource. I have 6.16.3.0.

Thanks.
Fred

You

You have the latest version. You can always check by going to Help - Check For Software Updates in the Mapsource program.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

just another reason...

rocknicehunter wrote:

I just reinstalled Mapsource on my laptop after I upgraded to a new hard drive.

After doing the normal install of the latest map, running the installer file then the set up file, I have a Mapsource up and running again.

You would think that since they are already providing the full program for download from their site for free, a simple installer would allow people just to install it.

What's the point of making the user unpack the installation files manually instead of just allowing a direct install?

Not looking for Garmin bashing, so trolls begone. Just curious if there is any sensible reason for doing this to the end user?

And yes, I have requested my install disc too.

Just another reason not to buy Garmin again...

--
vk

Huh?

rocknicehunter wrote:

You would think that since they are already providing the full program for download from their site for free, a simple installer would allow people just to install it.

I don't know what your're saying. When I run the MapSource download .exe file, it does an install. If you're complaining that the map install doesn't load MapSource, that's because the map data should be disconnected from the MapSource version. Not everyone wants to install the MapSource program version packaged with a map data update.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Um

No.
You must install MS from the disc or unpack it and install from the unpacked files, the msi first then the setup.exe.

A direct install is not possible as a DL if you don't already have MS installed on your system. You can DL and install an upgrade with no problems because one already has MS installed...

And that is my original question, why doesn't Garmin allow a direct install from the DL without going through the hoops of unpacking the DL manually.

My reference to the map is because if you don't have at least one map installed on your computer you can't install MS using this method period, so that always has to be the first step.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

Sure you can ...

rocknicehunter wrote:

No.
....

A direct install is not possible as a DL if you don't already have MS installed on your system. You can DL and install an upgrade with no problems because one already has MS installed...

Sure you can.

All you have to do is download and install the Garmin Training Center from the Garmin web site and then download and install the MapSource update file.

Well documented method and supported by Garmin.

Thanks, but

Thanks Mama, but you've just proved my point. You cannot install Mapsource directly. One has to install something else that I have no use for first.

So, back to my original question, why don't they allow it to install directly?

If you can install another program and the "update" works, or you unpack it manually, as I did, then install it, the results are the same. You have to do something other than simply running the setup program to install.

I just don't understand why they require these extra, unnecessary steps. Ah well. They probably had a reason for it years ago.

Thanks

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

.

rocknicehunter wrote:

Thanks Mama, but you've just proved my point. You cannot install Mapsource directly. One has to install something else that I have no use for first.

But the Garmin Training Center IS MapSource.

The update file is just needed to bring it up to the latest version.

Quote:

So, back to my original question, why don't they allow it to install directly?

If you can install another program and the "update" works, or you unpack it manually, as I did, then install it, the results are the same. You have to do something other than simply running the setup program to install.

I just don't understand why they require these extra, unnecessary steps. Ah well. They probably had a reason for it years ago.

Here's the place to ask those questions.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/supportcontact

OK

Motorcycle Mama wrote:
rocknicehunter wrote:

Thanks Mama, but you've just proved my point. You cannot install Mapsource directly. One has to install something else that I have no use for first.

But the Garmin Training Center IS MapSource.

The update file is just needed to bring it up to the latest version...

OK. That is weird. I think I'll hold off on asking Garmin support. I've sent two different emails about two different subjects to them over a week ago and have yet to receive a even an acknowledgement for either one, much less a response...

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195