Change in Google Earth

 

Opened Google Earth (not Google Maps) today and I thought something was wrong. But nope, it's a change.

You know that Funky location indicator that was hard to see, especially in urban areas?

Well, now there's a bright red X in a bright red box. Hard to miss. Guess they got too many complaints about it being hard to see!

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

sponsored links

Nice Change

Nice change to google earth. It did seem to take forever for it to come up this time.

--
Larry - Nuvi 680, Nuvi 1690, Nuvi 2797LMT

thanks

guess I'll give it another try.

--
___________________ Garmin 2455, 855, Oregon 550t

Google Earth

metricman wrote:

Opened Google Earth (not Google Maps) today and I thought something was wrong. But nope, it's a change.

You know that Funky location indicator that was hard to see, especially in urban areas?

Well, now there's a bright red X in a bright red box. Hard to miss. Guess they got too many complaints about it being hard to see!

Thanks for the info I will try it again.

Image date slider--

I like the image date slider -- we can look at an image (fuzzy b&w) of our area in 1948! Very cool!

--
Nuvi 2460, 680, DATUM Tymserve 2100, Trimble Thunderbolt, Ham radio, Macintosh, Linux, Windows

Wow - we had satellites in '48 ?

k6rtm wrote:

I like the image date slider -- we can look at an image (fuzzy b&w) of our area in 1948! Very cool!

I guess I should test this, there were no streets in those years where I live...

--
Ain't nuthin' never just right to do the things you wanna do when you wanna do them, so you best just go ahead and do them anyway ! (Rancid Crabtree, from Pat F McManus fame)

Got to check it out

Haven't used Google Earth for months

first satellites

spera wrote:

..
Wow - we had satellites in '48 ?

No, the first Russian satellite was in 1957. I was in the USAF in Germany and I recall that it caused a big security concern. The first US satellite was in late January 1958.

Gotcha !

Regarding the satellites in '48... That was a joke, not a good one - but then again, I've had a long day walking up and down that window and I ain't done yet, said the Fly wink

--
Ain't nuthin' never just right to do the things you wanna do when you wanna do them, so you best just go ahead and do them anyway ! (Rancid Crabtree, from Pat F McManus fame)

Actually a Time Sequence

I see for my area, there are several time maps: 1995, 2005, 2/2007, 9/2007, 2008, and 2009. They're very different quality. the 2/2007 and 2008 maps are from hires satellite. Don't know where the others are from.

The individual maps are accessed via the slide bar at the top left of the images. Cool!

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone6s, Mazda MX-5 Nav

Joke

spera wrote:

Gotcha !

[inspector clouseau voice] Ah yes, the old "It was a joke" ploy. smile

.

was that a minkey on the satellite?? smile

--
iPhone 6s, DriveAssist 50, Nüvi 2595LMT, TomTom START 45M

No minkeys or behms

WAASup wrote:

was that a minkey on the satellite?? smile

There were no minkeys on the first two satellites. Nor were there any behms. smile

updated images

Nice to see they have updated the images. There has been lots of construction here, and the images that were used before were close to 15 years out of date.

Not tonight honey

So, I fire up Google Earth tonight and no enhancements like yesterday.

I even tried opening it a 2nd time - no luck.

Maybe they pulled the code. Bummer!

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

never saw it

metricman wrote:

So, I fire up Google Earth tonight and no enhancements like yesterday.

I even tried opening it a 2nd time - no luck.

Maybe they pulled the code. Bummer!

I tried GE on 2 different machines, and even updated to the latest software, and never saw the change.

Great shots of Silicon Valley

You can go to Apple's Infinite Loop location (37 19'54N 122 01'48W) and see orchards in 1948, the site before the beginning of the Infinite Loop campus in 1991, and then successively better images up to the latest dated 10/2009. What a kick! I don't know where they got those b&w aerial shots, but they are great!

--
Nuvi 2460, 680, DATUM Tymserve 2100, Trimble Thunderbolt, Ham radio, Macintosh, Linux, Windows

me neither

metricman wrote:

So, I fire up Google Earth tonight and no enhancements like yesterday.....

Just downloaded and installed the latest. Not seeing the mentioned stuff either, although a red eye sore on the map doesn't sound all that attractive anyway. Overall it doesn't seem as good as before.

Speed

Is it still sloooow to download and fill in all the detail? That has been my biggest complaint for the past couple of releases and I've got a fast internet connection.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.10 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Thanks for the headsup

Thanks for the headsup

Fast for me

Gary A wrote:

Is it still sloooow to download and fill in all the detail? That has been my biggest complaint for the past couple of releases and I've got a fast internet connection.

Downloaded v6 tonight. No problem with speed. It loads fast. As fast as I click on different places it locates, zooms and focuses. It already has the icons in place when it rotating to a new location.

I will say that someone needed to clean the camera lens back in 2005 & 2006. All other years are pretty good. I have heard that when certain people live in an area the pictures will not be that clear. For those 2 years I can view the surronding ares and they are clear as can be. But there is a square over our neighborhood that is all blurred out. I wonder who lived here back then??

--
Harley BOOM, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts & 1450LMT | 2005 Harley Road King, 2015 Harley Ultra Limited

updated mine today but no red X

metricman wrote:

Opened Google Earth (not Google Maps) today and I thought something was wrong. But nope, it's a change.

You know that Funky location indicator that was hard to see, especially in urban areas?

Well, now there's a bright red X in a bright red box. Hard to miss. Guess they got too many complaints about it being hard to see!

The download ran quickly this morning. After updating to this version--Google Earth 6.0.1.2032 (beta)--I still have the same, old light blue box and X-mark. I did get the new Street View slider, though, and it's a nice feature. I was surprised to see they had so many view of may little, rural hometown in there. Google must spend a bundle to pay people to ride around getting those camera views! But I'm glad they do.

--
Winston Churchill said, “Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.”

Crashes a lot

Google Earth 6.0.1.2032 (beta) crashes a lot on my computer. It seems to have problem handling low memory situations. I have to quit most other applications before running it (although I do have 4GB RAM). Hopefully the final release will take care of that.

.

Coincidentally, the last couple of weeks Google Maps website has been painfully slow.

I updated to the newest

I updated to the newest version last night. There were a few nice changes but I didn't get the Red X either.

--
Tight lines

No red x but it does appear

No red x but it does appear to come up faster now.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Garmin Viago and Here Maps.

Color of icon and my five year old computer

charlesd45 wrote:

No red x but it does appear to come up faster now.

I have a 5 year old computer with 2 Meg of RAM and have the latest build of Google Earth. It runs fine and loads fast enough to not be unhappy. My ISP download speed is 10 Mb.

As far as getting the red box and x, right click on the icon, click on properties, click on the style and color tab and pick your color smile

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

Street View?

Seems to not be an option anymore. I might just be missing it too.

No red x for me

No red x for me

Read my last post

Mr69 wrote:

No red x for me

Read my last post to see how to get it.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

Icon

Double Tap wrote:

As far as getting the red box and x, right click on the icon, click on properties, click on the style and color tab and pick your color smile

What icon?

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.10 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Got it.

Double Tap wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

No red x but it does appear to come up faster now.

I have a 5 year old computer with 2 Meg of RAM and have the latest build of Google Earth. It runs fine and loads fast enough to not be unhappy. My ISP download speed is 10 Mb.

As far as getting the red box and x, right click on the icon, click on properties, click on the style and color tab and pick your color smile

I see it now.Right click on gps device icon under Temp Places on left of screen once you bring up Google Earth.It shows only for Label and Icon.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Garmin Viago and Here Maps.

The Icon

Gary A wrote:
Double Tap wrote:

As far as getting the red box and x, right click on the icon, click on properties, click on the style and color tab and pick your color smile

What icon?

The box with the x that is superimposed over the address you are looking at.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

That also works

charlesd45 wrote:
Double Tap wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

No red x but it does appear to come up faster now.

I have a 5 year old computer with 2 Meg of RAM and have the latest build of Google Earth. It runs fine and loads fast enough to not be unhappy. My ISP download speed is 10 Mb.

As far as getting the red box and x, right click on the icon, click on properties, click on the style and color tab and pick your color smile

I see it now.Right click on gps device icon under Temp Places on left of screen once you bring up Google Earth.It shows only for Label and Icon.

What you are doing also works

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

USDA?

I know that the USDA was doing aerial photography at least of agricultural land since the 1940s; I've looked back at them in some spots to the 1930s. I bet that's where the 1948 views are coming from. The USGS probably was doing some too.

Meg is that you?

Double Tap wrote:

I have a 5 year old computer with 2 Meg of RAM ...

While early PC architecture topped out at 640K and early hardware at less than that, I suspect that your 5 year old computer has considerably more than 2 Meg. Perhaps 2 Gig. Either that or it is a lot older than 5 years.

Hated Google Earth. Guess

Hated Google Earth. Guess I'll give it another try.

If all else fails, I can always use Google Map.

--
nüvi 750 & 760

you are correct

Frovingslosh wrote:
Double Tap wrote:

I have a 5 year old computer with 2 Meg of RAM ...

While early PC architecture topped out at 640K and early hardware at less than that, I suspect that your 5 year old computer has considerably more than 2 Meg. Perhaps 2 Gig. Either that or it is a lot older than 5 years.

My old fart brain needs a tune up smile or another bourbon.
But then again it does have 2 MEG plus a whole lot more.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

love GE

love GE

Street View

wknight40 wrote:

Seems to not be an option anymore. I might just be missing it too.

It's still there, they just made it hard to find for non google maps users. In the top right where the compass and other nav junk is, there's a peg-man you need to drag to the location you want for street view. I think the old way was easier, but this one will let you navigate in street view with the arrow keys.