Server Move - Jan 20, 2011

 

POI Factory is moving to a new server this evening.

Starting around 11:30pm Eastern, the site will be unavailable for a couple of hours during the transfer process; and it may take a while longer for your Internet service provider to receive our new IP address.

Regards,

JM

New Server

The site transferred successfully. All of the content from the old server is now available here.

Because Internet service providers normally save IP addresses for up to 24 hours, it may take several hours before everyone is seeing the new site.

server move

Seems to be working great.... Thanks for your dedicaton to keeping the site up and alive....

Works like a charm

Works like a charm and a lot faster between page changes. cool cool

--
All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players. Rush

yep, seems faster

thanks!

--
non-native nutmegger

Thanks!

JM, thanks for the new server! grin

Good Job!

Seems to have been a seamless transition so far. grin

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

working great here

still check the site every morning

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

I changed my LastPass

I changed my LastPass designation for POI Factory from .com to .net and working correctly.

--
“It’s their world. We’re just living in it.”

Looking good so far.

Looking good so far.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

All is good

Transfer went great. Thanks

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Back to .com

e_piph_a_ny wrote:

I changed my LastPass designation for POI Factory from .com to .net and working correctly.

Just remember, you'll need to change back to .com later today when your ISP updates its cached IP address.

JM

Thanx

Well done!! Thanx!!

It appears that everything went well

It appears that everything went well, JM. And in keeping with the national Thank You week - a great big thank you to both you and Miss POI for all your great work for this site. May you forever continue to be the best POI site ever!

--
Stay Safe, Sane, Sober & Solvent!

I Second This Statement

whoaboy wrote:

It appears that everything went well, JM. And in keeping with the national Thank You week - a great big thank you to both you and Miss POI for all your great work for this site. May you forever continue to be the best POI site ever!

I totally agree with this statement.

Forehand or Backhand

Sorry I thought i was on USTA.com smile

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

All good here.

Looks like everything went well here (DNS is propogating to the new server via Level3's root servers).

And having been through that special kind of hell of moving servers and waiting for the new DNS and MX record settings to propogate, I do sympathise grin

Looks like it went well

Looks like it went well

my ISP will not cause me to have to use .com

zadmi wrote:
e_piph_a_ny wrote:

I changed my LastPass designation for POI Factory from .com to .net and working correctly.

Just remember, you'll need to change back to .com later today when your ISP updates its cached IP address.

JM

I don't understand why you say that. If the site address is poi-factory.net my ISP is not going to change that. As long as this site has the .net suffix I can use it to get here.

I suppose if the .com were used by someone, they would be routed to here but the .com would not have to be used.

.com

Evert wrote:
zadmi wrote:
e_piph_a_ny wrote:

I changed my LastPass designation for POI Factory from .com to .net and working correctly.

Just remember, you'll need to change back to .com later today when your ISP updates its cached IP address.

JM

I don't understand why you say that. If the site address is poi-factory.net my ISP is not going to change that. As long as this site has the .net suffix I can use it to get here.

I suppose if the .com were used by someone, they would be routed to here but the .com would not have to be used.

On Saturday, the site is resuming normal operation, with all traffic redirected to use the .com domain name. If you try to access the site with .net, it will automatically send your web browser to www poi-factory.com

JM

ty

ty

It was confusing but I am back on track now

JM wrote:

....On Saturday, the site is resuming normal operation, with all traffic redirected to use the .com domain name. If you try to access the site with .net, it will automatically send your web browser to www poi-factory.com

JM

Ok that was kind of confusing because it looked to me like with the "server move" there was going to be a permanent domain name change from .com to .net sort of like when my internet provider changed from rushmore.com to knology.net

Yesterday when I went to poi-factory.com it was read-only

Anyway I changed the link in my favorites back to poi-factory.com - I figure it is better to go direct rather than being re-routed all the time.

I aslo changed my poifiles.txt back to the .com links, because the .net links did not work for poisync this morining.

Nice move

Very smooth, didn't feel a thing wink

--
Nuvi2797LMT (2) Nuvi260,Ford Sync3 Navigation. Captain Cook was a Yorkshire man too.

Great!

Thanks JM

--
Val - Nuvi 785t and Streetpilot C340