Freeing up space

 

In the past I have removed voices, vehicles,and help files. Am looking at the text files but not sure which one is the English. Also looking at the keyboard files same question. Any other suggestions to free up space??

Delete Photos

I've deleted all languages other than English. Deleted vehicles and voices that I don't use. On my unit there were photos,coordinates (I'm assuming from some of the programmers), photos of various Garmin locations, etc., got rid of those too.

--
OK.....so where the heck am I?

Text files

skykingc wrote:

In the past I have removed voices, vehicles,and help files. Am looking at the text files but not sure which one is the English. Also looking at the keyboard files same question. Any other suggestions to free up space??

I had the same question way back when on the text file removal.Can't find the post that I found it on but English text files are contained within the nuvi's non-user accessible memory area.Checked my text file folder and it is showing empty.As always make backup copy before removal.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

PLEASE

charlesd45 wrote:

As always make backup copy before removal.

Please make a backup before deleting anything

Text file removal

Thanks for the info Will make backup for sure

I keep all my custom POI's

I keep all my custom POI's and photos on the SD card.

--
Tight lines

GUPDATE.GCD

GUPDATE.GCD is only used when updating the firmware of a Garmin GPS. After that it just takes up space (6 MB on my Zumo)and can be backed up & deleted.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Delete Files

pkdmslf wrote:

I've deleted all languages other than English. Deleted vehicles and voices that I don't use. On my unit there were photos,coordinates (I'm assuming from some of the programmers), photos of various Garmin locations, etc., got rid of those too.

How do you delete,the pictures that came on my 1450,Garmin home etc.

remove files

just plug in usb open the unit file find the photos folder and delete the pictures.

Delete Photos

cujoml wrote:

just plug in usb open the unit file find the photos folder and delete the pictures.

Can you give a few more details,if you plug in the usb you can't get into the gps.Thank You

Assuming you have a cable

mdh31951 wrote:
cujoml wrote:

just plug in usb open the unit file find the photos folder and delete the pictures.

Can you give a few more details,if you plug in the usb you can't get into the gps.Thank You

Have you done a backup?

What you need to do is use a USB cable to connect your GPS to your computer. When you first plug the cable in, your GPS will usually show a picture of the GPS and PC being connected and there will be a status bar that moves from left to right (my bar is green)

When the connection is complete, you should get a pop up window asking what you want to do. Some of the choices might be to:
look at your pictures
play your music
or
open folder to view files

Take the option to view the files.

Navigate to the JPEG folder and you will see the photos. If you want to know what they are, left double-click one. This will usually open "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". If it did, the left/right naviigation buttons are one the bottom left of the icon bar beneath the picture.

Delete any you do not want.

Backup first!!!!!

1.Connect gps to computer

1.Connect gps to computer using usb cable.
2.Go to my computer and look for the drive for the gps.
3.Click on Garmin folder.
4.Look for Jpeg folder.
5.Click Jpeg folder and delete the pictures.

Note example for XP

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

deleting

I have deleted many files suggested here and elsewhere. I have 270MB free space remaining. McDonalds only uses 1.02 MB and Walmart 612KB. I do not plan loading pictures or voices, only custom POI. Do I have enough free space?

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Deleting

spokybob wrote:

I have deleted many files suggested here and elsewhere. I have 270MB free space remaining. McDonalds only uses 1.02 MB and Walmart 612KB. I do not plan loading pictures or voices, only custom POI. Do I have enough free space?

Yes you have plenty 1 mega bite (mb) is 1000 kilo bites (KB) so you see you have plenty.

umming You Have A Cable

jgermann wrote:
mdh31951 wrote:
cujoml wrote:

just plug in usb open the unit file find the photos folder and delete the pictures.

Can you give a few more details,if you plug in the usb you can't get into the gps.Thank You

Have you done a backup?

What you need to do is use a USB cable to connect your GPS to your computer. When you first plug the cable in, your GPS will usually show a picture of the GPS and PC being connected and there will be a status bar that moves from left to right (my bar is green)

When the connection is complete, you should get a pop up window asking what you want to do. Some of the choices might be to:
look at your pictures
play your music
or
open folder to view files

Take the option to view the files.

Navigate to the JPEG folder and you will see the photos. If you want to know what they are, left double-click one. This will usually open "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". If it did, the left/right naviigation buttons are one the bottom left of the icon bar beneath the picture.

Delete any you do not want.

Backup first!!!!!

I Pluged in my GPS Garmin 1450 to the computer and after several minutes it is still showing Garmin and underneath Garmin a Gps connected to a computer.My system is windows Vista.Thank You

you are connected to the GPS

mdh31951 wrote:

I Pluged in my GPS Garmin 1450 to the computer and after several minutes it is still showing Garmin and underneath Garmin a Gps connected to a computer.My system is windows Vista.Thank You

Your computer is connected to the GPS and the GPS will show up as an attached storage device with one or more drive letter assignments depending if you have a memory card in the GPS.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

You are connected to the gps

Box Car wrote:
mdh31951 wrote:

I Pluged in my GPS Garmin 1450 to the computer and after several minutes it is still showing Garmin and underneath Garmin a Gps connected to a computer.My system is windows Vista.Thank You

Your computer is connected to the GPS and the GPS will show up as an attached storage device with one or more drive letter assignments depending if you have a memory card in the GPS.

Thank You very much,that did the trick.