Walmart POI (CSV) still being updated?

 

I noticed in the past week that the "WalMart, Sam's Clubs, and Super WalMart Centers US and Canada Combined" .gpx POI file is being updated frequently. Is the .csv file still being maintained? I ask because I'm a Nuvi 350 user with little additional storage capability and the .gpx file is HUGE. Thanks in advance for any responses.

GPX File

You may want to look at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6203 .A gpx file takes more space on the computer and does not reflect the same size file on the gps.Once poiloader converts to gpi file is reduced in size.I use this file and know that the csv file and the gpx file both contain the same information.It will take up no more space then the csv file did on your gps.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

CharlesD, Thank you for the

CharlesD,

Thank you for the quick reply and information you provided. I didn't know that the conversion to .gpi "shrunk" the .gpx. That's good info. Off to d/l the Walmart POI...

The gpx file offers

The gpx file offers advantages over the csv file as you can see by the thread link.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

More storage

Most GPS units allow the use of an additional memory card. I use this option (I have a 4gb) and store all the extra poi files on it.
When you download to the GPS you just have to choose the memory card for the location.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Yup, I agree. I use an 8 GB

Yup, I agree. I use an 8 GB SD card in my Nuvi 350 for POI's & mp3 files. Still plenty of storage left & I can go to 16 GB, if necessary.

Fred

Not that simple

pwohlrab wrote:

Most GPS units allow the use of an additional memory card. I use this option (I have a 4gb) and store all the extra poi files on it.
When you download to the GPS you just have to choose the memory card for the location.

But then, on the 7x0 series anyway, every time you start your GPSr it will ask you if you want to copy the new POI files on the external card to the unit. If you say yes, then it will leave you alone in the future but the files are copied on the unit and take memory. If you say no, it will leave the POI files on the SD card but you'll have to say no many time in the future...

Ran into that

I ran into that on my 650. I can't remember how I got around it. I believe it was answering the question just right. It only happened a couple times in the beginning and I have not been asked that question ever again.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

SD Card

jale wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

Most GPS units allow the use of an additional memory card. I use this option (I have a 4gb) and store all the extra poi files on it.
When you download to the GPS you just have to choose the memory card for the location.

But then, on the 7x0 series anyway, every time you start your GPSr it will ask you if you want to copy the new POI files on the external card to the unit. If you say yes, then it will leave you alone in the future but the files are copied on the unit and take memory. If you say no, it will leave the POI files on the SD card but you'll have to say no many time in the future...

If you answer yes the next screen will give option to not ask again.I know that sounds backwards but that is how it works on some models.My 265 you have to answer yes first to get to the screen not to ask again.See (link no longer available) may be similiar for other models.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Until you remove the SD card...

charlesd45 wrote:

If you answer yes the next screen will give option to not ask again.I know that sounds backwards but that is how it works on some models.My 265 you have to answer yes first to get to the screen not to ask again.See (link no longer available) may be similiar for other models.

But then, if you remove and reinsert the SD card (to transfer large files bypassing the USB 1.0 GPSr), it will ask again...

Anyway, coming back to the main subject, the author said he would repost the csv file.

Now back to CSV

jale wrote:

Anyway, coming back to the main subject, the author said he would repost the csv file.

And he did: The file is now back to the .csv format.