Cheap Gas POIs

 

Not sure which forum to put this in....but, here it is.

I use Gasbuddy (www.gasbuddy.com) to check fuel prices before I fill up to see where I can get the biggest bang for the buck when I am in a area.

They have the ability to map out all of the prices in any area of the country. Is there a way to dump the data into a POI file so that it can be loaded into the GPS for trips?

I have sent them an email asking the same thing, just wondering if anyone knew of a way to make that work.

All you need to do is get

All you need to do is get the coordinates of each location then create a .csv file and you will be all set.

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Sounds like a great idea.

Sounds like a great idea. smile

--
BD • Nuvi 360 • Mac User

It's a good idea, but with

It's a good idea, but with current prices fluctuating like they are, it would be hard to upkeep.

That may be, but there are

That may be, but there are always some stations that are lower priced than others...

--
BD • Nuvi 360 • Mac User

Gas Prices

I use to shop for gas Prices, but it's really not worth it. I'm not rich but I figure it would cost me more to go way out of the way just to save a few pennies. Now if you had a big truck or something like that maybe.

I live in Indiana. I tend to go with 2-3 gas stations that I use all the time. It's amazing how on some parts of the city its 10-15 cents more a gallon than on the other side. I tend to get the gas when I'm out doing something. I wont just get in the car to go get gas.

I here about all these people complaining about gas prices, but what I can't figure out is why they are willing to pay $3-$4 dollars for a coffee at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. What's wrong with the picture.

No Gas, No Work, No Work, No Money, No Money, No Coffee, House or anything else.

Michael

--
Garmin Nuvi 3597, Garmin StreetPilot 2720, Garmin 76CSx (Hand Held), Iphone 6S Plus

I agree with you. I don't

I agree with you. I don't go out of my way to buy gas ether. I'm also not one to think I should go spend thousands of dollars on a new hybrid just because my Truck gets 8 miles per gallon less than the average car... My truck is paid for and the registration and insurance is less then one third of the cost of a new vehicle...

I do however think a POI like this could be a good thing. People know what gas stations have the best prices in the area they live in and what stations tend to rip you off. A POI file that has the better priced stations would be a great help to someone just passing though. smile

--
BD • Nuvi 360 • Mac User

True, 5 cents a gallon on a

True, 5 cents a gallon on a 15 gallon fill up is only $0.75. But multiply that over 52 weeks and it's a saving of around $40, which I think is worthwhile. I don't drive out of my way, I just keep an eye out for which station along the way to work has better prices.

And somehow, it just feels good to save a few cents a gallon.

But I just got a BP Visa card which rebates 10% for the first 2 months, so I'll be buying my gas there for a while.

--
StreetPilot c530

Cheap Gas

I am lucky enough to have a new Nuvi 680 with the complimentary year of service from MSN Direct which give you the price of gas. This is really cool because it shows the price of gas and how far away the stations are. Just pick the cheapest and press the "GO" button and it takes you right there.

My SUV holds 30 gallons and if I save even a nickle a gallon I save a significant amount of money over the year. And the cool thing is that it is so easy to do with the Nuvi and MSN Direct.

Something to consider if you are in the market for a new GPS.

Stan

--
Officer I'm sorry I was going the wrong way on that one-way street but my GPS told me to turn left ... Oh, I'm still getting a ticket, okay then the GPS will see ya in court!

Gas is Gas?

Dont think so. I bought cheap Gas and got terrible mileage compared to gret gas. Here in Canada we got a bunch of "junk" stations such as your clark stations and whatnot. Here i get 50KM more out of a tank at shell than junk. also i got good stuff at american shell/bp stations. Upfront cost DEFINATELY. Better running engine and MPG, well you have to find out. BTW do it for a few tanks. Same goes for diesel especially with the new sulfur regs. Hope this kinda helps so maybe the posted price doesnt effect you as much as the overall cost in MPG.

Bin

Cheap Gas is ALLWAYS GOOD !

I like to buy from the lowest station when i fill up. I think that this would be a good idea.

--
new but wanting to learn...Thanks, David K.

However

sasines wrote:

I am lucky enough to have a new Nuvi 680 with the complimentary year of service from MSN Direct which give you the price of gas. This is really cool because it shows the price of gas and how far away the stations are. Just pick the cheapest and press the "GO" button and it takes you right there.

My SUV holds 30 gallons and if I save even a nickle a gallon I save a significant amount of money over the year. And the cool thing is that it is so easy to do with the Nuvi and MSN Direct.

Something to consider if you are in the market for a new GPS.

Stan

Most people who drive out of their way to save money on gas burn up the savings making the trip. With your big SUV, assuming gas at $3.35 per gal, you wouold burn up your savings if you had to drive about 8 miles round trip out of your way to find the cheap gas. You really only save money if the cheap gas on on your route.

--
Garmin Nuvi 750 & c530 with RT's vol. mod., Vulcan Nomad

hard to keep up-to-date

I use gasbuddy and gaspricewatch to search for cheap gas near:

-where I live
-where I work
-where I usually shop/eat (food, etc)

Overtime, I noticed the lowest cost at each of those regions (but still brand name like Shell, 76 or Chervon). I usually end up filling at those cheaper stations.

I do drive out of my way sometime up to 2 mi round trip. Anything further than that is not gas saving enough for me, plus waste my time stuck in traffic too.

Edited: I've created an Excel file for fun. You can fill in your car's MPG, your gas tank size (gal), price of gas, amount you save per gal and it'll calculate the rest. For example, $3.50/gal, save $0.10 per gal, SUV 20 mpg, tank size 20 gals, you can drive up to 11 miles round trip and still save money.

Same example, my corolla 30mpg, tank size is 13 gals, I can also drive up to 11 miles round trip and still save money.

"Money save by driving to further gas station.xls"
http://download.yousendit.com/ED43282E25D95D7C

Of course, it doesn't take into account the time you spend driving.

hard to do

fubar wrote:

It's a good idea, but with current prices fluctuating like they are, it would be hard to upkeep.

it's entirely possible but whoever is gonna be maintaining this database will need to update it every time the prices change then all the gps's will have to be updated too.

it's a good idea but much too troublesome IMO

--
Garmin Nuvi 765T

Diesel Pricing?

MickeyMouse00 wrote:

I use to shop for gas Prices, but it's really not worth it. I'm not rich but I figure it would cost me more to go way out of the way just to save a few pennies. Now if you had a big truck or something like that maybe.

I live in Indiana. I tend to go with 2-3 gas stations that I use all the time. It's amazing how on some parts of the city its 10-15 cents more a gallon than on the other side. I tend to get the gas when I'm out doing something. I wont just get in the car to go get gas.

I here about all these people complaining about gas prices, but what I can't figure out is why they are willing to pay $3-$4 dollars for a coffee at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. What's wrong with the picture.

No Gas, No Work, No Work, No Money, No Money, No Coffee, House or anything else.

Michael

Hello Michael!

DW & I are traveling to Evansville the end of June.
What are your average Diesel prices?

TIA...Jack

--
'Maggie'...Our Garmin Street Pilot 7200

Gas Buddy on Cell Phone

I use Gas Buddy all the time, and last week I noticed that you can use the service on your Web Enabled Cell Phone. Just put in the Zip Code and it lists the stations in the area with their updated prices.

That is one alternative.

--
Garmin Nuvi 660

Gas Prices

I agree with Fubar, further more, the new nuvi 680 with msn service provides a dynamic listing for this purpose.

There are many gas station hat re-adjust thier prices twice or 3 times aday.

--
Thanx BiLL Solomon

Bicycle

Man, I wish I lived a bit closer to work, then I could ride my bike. I can handle the 23 miles in, but after a long day, I am not to keen on riding another 23 miles back home. I am glad that I don't care to keep up with the Joneses and waste money on a big SUV. I see $60 and $70 dollar amounts on the pump when I pull up after a SUV or pickup tuck leaves. The most I spent so far was about $32. I would like one of those Nuvi 680's though.

Edit: When I say "waste money", by that I mean I am always driving my car alone, so I do not need anything bigger.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250, T-Mobile G1 with Google Maps, iPaq with TomTom, and a Tapwave Zodiac with TomTom and Mapopolis

They are the same

There are different blend in different city/state due to polution regulation. In most the case gas are the same as big or small company openly trade gas between them. The addictive added in by the brand will not impact the mpg much at all. The only question will be the individual operator may add something else that not supposed to be there. smile Also the use of ethanol will get less mpg.