VA troopers now using new strategy for speeders

 

Well, having the POIs for all the crossovers on the Interstate Highways in Virginia won't be much help from now on.

The VA State Troopers are all getting the new handheld Laser Speed detectors. Much more accurate and the beam is extremely narrow when compared to a Radar Unit. It's much harder to beat in court, because you can't claim that it was the vehicle beside you.

In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that the troopers are just parking on the side of the Interstate, stepping out the door and then tagging vehicles as they crest a hill or come out of a curve. With the marked cars now having a light bar on the roof with a very low profile, it doesn't register that it's a Police car right away and by the time it does - you have been tagged.

This is a very effective way to catch speeders as the police car does not have to be pointed in an specific direction as it does for radar that is mounted on or in the vehicle. Now, the odd angles they can park at will throw you off. Last Thursday on the way home, I was Lasered twice. The first time was on I-664 by a trooper that was parked on an on-ramp and it didn't even register that it was a trooper until I was almost parallel to him. The next time was on I-64 and the trooper was parked in a crossover in a Jersey Wall, but I did see him well in advance, because he was in one of their favorite spots and I was paying attention.

Now I know that all the "Quota" folks will come out of the woodwork and do the usual spouting off about how it's all a revenue generating racket - but you are wrong, at least with the VA state police. Both of the times I was Lasered that day, I was speeding. Not just 1 or 2 miles over, but 8 mph over. And, I drive on VA interstates at 8 over all the time (except in "Work Zones") and I don't get any tickets. Now, if I was doing 9 mph over, then I would be pushing my luck. It's sort of an unwritten rule: "8 is fine, 9 you're mine" with VA troopers.

If they had a "Quota", they would not bother to allow you that much slack. Besides, don't you think that some dis-gruntled officer would spill the beans to a news outlet, just to get even? Come-on, take the Aluminum Foil Hat off - there is no grand conspiracy. I for one support the effort. Less speeders mean less accidents and less fatalities. Less accidents and less fatalities means lower insurance rates.

Now the question is - once winter gets here, will they continue to "Step outside" and freeze their butts off, or switch back to radar? The laser doesn't work well through glass and it has to be precisely "aimed" due to the narrow beam, which is why it has a sighting device.

Nuff said.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Is laser "just" arriving in

Is laser "just" arriving in VA? It's been around for a number of years, some states (highway partrol units) are almost exclusively laser now.

metricman wrote:

Now the question is - once winter gets here, will they continue to "Step outside" and freeze their butts off, or switch back to radar? The laser doesn't work well through glass and it has to be precisely "aimed" due to the narrow beam, which is why it has a sighting device.

Watch for vehicles parked at right angle to flow of traffic. They typically roll down the front passenger wndow and can get a steady shot from within the vehicle.

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

VA Troopers

As a Marylander, I guess I'll have to completely stop my shopping in VA. That certainly will limit my exposure to VA State Troopers.

Fred

Visited - Survived

Good info on VA. Just visited there and saw a few like you described. I was well under the critical limit, but we all slip occasionally if our mind wanders a bit. Especially in the downhill areas south of Roanoke.

--
NUVI 2595 & 2599

Re:

uber360 wrote:

Is laser "just" arriving in VA? It's been around for a number of years, some states (highway partrol units) are almost exclusively laser now.

It's been in use for quite a while, but on a "Limited" basis. I think that it's in all the "Marked" cars now. Haven't seen it being used by an "Unmarked" car - yet.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

on 81

I've seen several state troopers on motorcycles using these devices on 81 just south of 581 near Roanoke. It's a very congested section of 81 and the speed limit is lower than most of the interstate.

Va

best way to beat it in Va., is just don't speed

--
nuvi 2757LM-65LM-65LM

They can work thru glass...

metricman wrote:

The laser doesn't work well through glass and it has to be precisely "aimed" due to the narrow beam, which is why it has a sighting device.

Nuff said.

Just work better without it.... I hear there is a reduction in range from a couple of thousand feet down to about 500-800' or so....

Roadways at capacity

bill2125 wrote:

best way to beat it in Va., is just don't speed

With traffic density the way it is in VA, it's often difficult to "speed" or even approach the PSL.

We were in VA last month for a duration of 7 days. We traveled on I95 once and never exceed 25mph...that's how thick traffic was sad

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

At One Time Virginia Was for Lovers, Now it avoid at all costs!!

The State of Virgina will get what it has coming to it. So just avoid the state for the fools they are. Dry up their tourism money and they might get the picture!
Geez

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

insurance

metricman wrote:

Well, having the POIs for all the crossovers on the Interstate Highways in Virginia won't be much help from now on.

The VA State Troopers are all getting the new handheld Laser Speed detectors. Much more accurate and the beam is extremely narrow when compared to a Radar Unit. It's much harder to beat in court, because you can't claim that it was the vehicle beside you.

In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that the troopers are just parking on the side of the Interstate, stepping out the door and then tagging vehicles as they crest a hill or come out of a curve. With the marked cars now having a light bar on the roof with a very low profile, it doesn't register that it's a Police car right away and by the time it does - you have been tagged.

This is a very effective way to catch speeders as the police car does not have to be pointed in an specific direction as it does for radar that is mounted on or in the vehicle. Now, the odd angles they can park at will throw you off. Last Thursday on the way home, I was Lasered twice. The first time was on I-664 by a trooper that was parked on an on-ramp and it didn't even register that it was a trooper until I was almost parallel to him. The next time was on I-64 and the trooper was parked in a crossover in a Jersey Wall, but I did see him well in advance, because he was in one of their favorite spots and I was paying attention.

Now I know that all the "Quota" folks will come out of the woodwork and do the usual spouting off about how it's all a revenue generating racket - but you are wrong, at least with the VA state police. Both of the times I was Lasered that day, I was speeding. Not just 1 or 2 miles over, but 8 mph over. And, I drive on VA interstates at 8 over all the time (except in "Work Zones") and I don't get any tickets. Now, if I was doing 9 mph over, then I would be pushing my luck. It's sort of an unwritten rule: "8 is fine, 9 you're mine" with VA troopers.

If they had a "Quota", they would not bother to allow you that much slack. Besides, don't you think that some dis-gruntled officer would spill the beans to a news outlet, just to get even? Come-on, take the Aluminum Foil Hat off - there is no grand conspiracy. I for one support the effort. Less speeders mean less accidents and less fatalities. Less accidents and less fatalities means lower insurance rates.

Now the question is - once winter gets here, will they continue to "Step outside" and freeze their butts off, or switch back to radar? The laser doesn't work well through glass and it has to be precisely "aimed" due to the narrow beam, which is why it has a sighting device.

Nuff said.

don't hold your breath waiting for a decrease in insurance rates,more likely you will be ticketed first.

--
garmin nuvi,750 ***3ʇǝʞɔɐɾpǝɹ*** garmin nuvi,855 garmin nuvi,1490t

Virginia IS for lovers

BobDee wrote:

The State of Virgina will get what it has coming to it. So just avoid the state for the fools they are. Dry up their tourism money and they might get the picture!
Geez

BobDee,

They aren't out to get all speeders - just the speeders that are hazardous. VA troopers are well aware that this is a state that is big on tourism.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Re:

redjacket3 wrote:

don't hold your breath waiting for a decrease in insurance rates,more likely you will be ticketed first.

Well, true. Due to inflation and lawsuits, the rates probably won't go down.

But, the area that you live in has a "Rating" based on the amount of dollars spent on claims. Since there is a correlation between speeding and accidents/fatalities, then if you reduce the speeding, then the number of accidents decreases and it's possible for your rates to decrease because the rating for your area decreased.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Good think I don't go to VA

Good think I don't go to VA as much as before.

I Love VA

Frankly, I'm glad I left the People's Republic of MD and moved to VA. VA respects people's freedom, just don't whine when you have to pay the consequences for your behavior. I have no problem with VA trying to enforce reasonable laws. I moved only a few miles, just across the river, and my car insurance rates dropped, even after I added my 16 year old son to our policy!!! Plus, you don't need a permit to carry a loaded firearm in VA, even in your car. Try that in MD!

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

RE: Moving

gdfaini wrote:

Frankly, I'm glad I left the People's Republic of MD and moved to VA. VA respects people's freedom, just don't whine when you have to pay the consequences for your behavior. I have no problem with VA trying to enforce reasonable laws. I moved only a few miles, just across the river, and my car insurance rates dropped, even after I added my 16 year old son to our policy!!! Plus, you don't need a permit to carry a loaded firearm in VA, even in your car. Try that in MD!

Just don't carry a firearm in your vehicle on the George Washington Parkway. They are just like the Colonial Parkway here. Unloaded in in a place that is not easily accesible - like a locked trunk. Federal Law trumps State Law. Plus I had a friend get his rifle consficated. Don't know if he ever got it back.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

VA Troopers

I would imagine that the "powers that be" in Arizona will adopt such tactics to go along with the other devices already in place.
JeffSh

Not a Big Deal

So what's the problem with laser speed detectors? If you're speeding, you must accept the possibility of getting caught and accept the consequences. Personally, I believe a real help in reducing accidents would be a detector that identifies drivers texting. That would be a major advance for driving safety!

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone X, Mazda MX-5 Nav

lasers

i guess we should follow the slogan "slowly but surely"

My 2 cents worth

I still feel that these tactics (radar, laser, speed cams, red light cams) are all simply for revenue. The people that they ought to be concentrating on are the ones following too closely, constantly changing lanes, cutting people off, texting, and otherwise driving dangerously.

It is just too easy for law enforcement to sit there and grab speeders. Drive the highways, look for unsafe driving behavior. A few miles over the limit is generally not at all dangerous.

To law enforcement: Get the bad drivers. Don't just define speeders as the cause of the accidents.

CCW

metricman wrote:
gdfaini wrote:

Frankly, I'm glad I left the People's Republic of MD and moved to VA. VA respects people's freedom, just don't whine when you have to pay the consequences for your behavior. I have no problem with VA trying to enforce reasonable laws. I moved only a few miles, just across the river, and my car insurance rates dropped, even after I added my 16 year old son to our policy!!! Plus, you don't need a permit to carry a loaded firearm in VA, even in your car. Try that in MD!

Just don't carry a firearm in your vehicle on the George Washington Parkway. They are just like the Colonial Parkway here. Unloaded in in a place that is not easily accesible - like a locked trunk. Federal Law trumps State Law. Plus I had a friend get his rifle consficated. Don't know if he ever got it back.

Don't care about their piddly little ineffective state laws. My CCW is national. I can carry in every state and district in the union.

--
If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there.

Mine Too

alpine1 wrote:

Don't care about their piddly little ineffective state laws. My CCW is national. I can carry in every state and district in the union.

Mine's national too. At least it would be if the Govt (Fed, State, and Local) paid any attention to what the Constitution says! ...(Of course, if they did, I wouldn't need a permit at all!!!)

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Bad drivers

hjrw wrote:

The people that they ought to be concentrating on are the ones following too closely, constantly changing lanes, cutting people off, texting, and otherwise driving dangerously.

You forgot to add speeding to that list!

Statistically (and it is observable too), drivers who speed also do all of the above .....a lot.

The problem, then, is setting a "proper" threshold.
My personal belief is 5 over for 40 or less and 10 over for interstates.....unless congested.

And I say that even though I have a ticket "aging" off my record for 7 over on a deserted city street....and I am still not happy about it.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

Thanks

Thanks for the warning....and it is all about revenue generation....don't be fooled.

Sneaky rascals

The most innovative way I've seen a laser gun being used was in a construction zone. Note the verb "seen". I only observed, was not part of the action...

An officer wearing an orange vest and hard hat was standing in the construction zone with his laser detector mounted on a surveyor's tripod. He was holding a 2-way radio and blended into the construction activity perfectly. A mile down the road at the end of the construction zone were several officers in standard garb flagging cars over.

That was a text book assembly line operation! Wonder if whoever came up with that idea got an award?

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

No, Really National

gdfaini wrote:
alpine1 wrote:

Don't care about their piddly little ineffective state laws. My CCW is national. I can carry in every state and district in the union.

Mine's national too. At least it would be if the Govt (Fed, State, and Local) paid any attention to what the Constitution says! ...(Of course, if they did, I wouldn't need a permit at all!!!)

HR 218 covers me nationally. I have heard the US Attorney comes down hard on any agency that violates HR 218, and personally on any officer that interfers with HR 218.

--
If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there.

not so bad

JeffSh wrote:

I would imagine that the "powers that be" in Arizona will adopt such tactics to go along with the other devices already in place.
JeffSh

I don't mind live police officers enforcing the law.

I don't like machines doing the work that real police officers should be doing.

The police officer can pick out dangerous drivers (not just those who are speeding) and stop them right there and then.

A machine can not do that. So it's great to have more police enforcing the road.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

Re: HR 218

alpine1 wrote:

Don't care about their piddly little ineffective state laws. My CCW is national. I can carry in every state and district in the union.

So, alpine1, are you a Police officer?

If not, please enlighten us on how you got a "National" Conceal Carry Weapon permit.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

I was in VA yesterday and

I was in VA yesterday and did not see any police.

My Secret to No Speeding Tickets

I have not had a speeding ticket in 25 years, yet, like all of you, have passed hundreds of radar units during those years. The "secret"? Drive no more than 12 miles over the limit and I usually keep it around 10 on interstates. In general, police set their alarms at 12 miles over the posted speed limit. This helps keep them from a plethora of people contesting their speeding tickets and tying up an unduly amount of time for the officer to be in traffic court. My advice does not apply to small towns. Of course, your mileage may vary with my plan!

The easy way not the safe way

They are finding ways to take more revenue, and when they see fit they implement new laws. In some places they don`t allow you to use radar detectors and in some parts they are discussing a way to ban gps because of the pois.

I can see that police lately care more about speeders than aggressive drivers.

--
Gps! ask where to go and get there! Best of all, what we need is to have accurate pois to reach all destinations

Most police officers I have

Most police officers I have talked to say it is not just the speed they look for. In Florida if you are only going 5 miles over the limit and going from lane to lane they will nail you. If you are going faster than that and staying in one lane, they are more likely to let it go.
It has a lot to do with "safe driving"

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

If the Govt paid any attention to the Constitution...

gdfaini wrote:
alpine1 wrote:

Don't care about their piddly little ineffective state laws. My CCW is national. I can carry in every state and district in the union.

Mine's national too. At least it would be if the Govt (Fed, State, and Local) paid any attention to what the Constitution says! ...(Of course, if they did, I wouldn't need a permit at all!!!)

Amen to that!

VA Laser

Thanks for the heads up Metricman. My two sons and their families live in Fredericksburg, VA and my wife and I drive up there from Charlotte, NC quite often. I usually set my cruise control for 5 miles over the limit but as one person said the hills south of Roanoke into Christiansburg do cause your car to pick up quite a bit of speed downhill. I'll have to keep that in mind on future trips. I'm also going to let my kids know about this too.

--
Nuvi 350 - North Carolina - I'm not a native Southerner but I got here as fast as I could!

As a tourist........

I travel throughout the US (Yes I have visited/stayed/travelled in all 48 continental states!) and frankly, I have no problem with police/radar/laser guns and whatever. While I generally travel a little over the limit, I've NEVER been stopped in over 45 years of driving!

As a tourist, I find it somewhat comforting to see a police on patrol...they also stop to help stranded motorists and I think they do control traffic flow through judicious speed control. No police presense will ever deter me from travelling to one state or another......now border crossing is another story....hmmmmm

--
Tom

Re: My Secret to No Speeding Tickets

Saddle Light wrote:

I have not had a speeding ticket in 25 years, yet, like all of you, have passed hundreds of radar units during those years. The "secret"? Drive no more than 12 miles over the limit and I usually keep it around 10 on interstates. In general, police set their alarms at 12 miles over the posted speed limit. This helps keep them from a plethora of people contesting their speeding tickets and tying up an unduly amount of time for the officer to be in traffic court. My advice does not apply to small towns. Of course, your mileage may vary with my plan!

Saddle Light,

From my own experience, I can testify that "8 is great and 9 you're mine". At least on I-64 east of Richmond, VA and seems to hold well over the rest of the state.

You can exceed that, but you had better be in a "pack" and doing the same speed as everyone else.

One Sunday, my wife and I left to go shopping in Newport News - 20+ mile trip on I-64. About 4 miles from where I usually get on the interstate is a crossover that the troopers sit at a lot. The speed limit is 65 mph. The cruise control was set at 73 mph. As we rolled by the crossover, with a trooper sitting there with radar mounted on the window, my wife looked at the speedo and said "You're going to get a ticket". My reply was "I'm OK". Well I went about 1/4 mile and saw the blue lightbar light up and my wife saw it too. She said "I told you so". I said "Nope, the white GMC P/U behind me is getting the ticket." And he did.

He was gaining on me, but not that fast and he triggered the set point and I did not.

I have seen lots of examples of this. I travel on the interstate 73 mi. round trip, at least 5 days a week and have been driving that stretch for 29 years.

I "break the law" every day, but I avoid putting myself or others in danger.

The last time I got a ticket was over 9 years ago on a secondary road, where I did not slow down fast enough when the speed dropped from 45 to 35. It was a County Police officer that got me. I didn't give him a hard time and I just went to the court clerk's office and paid the fine.

Just a FYI for you other readers. Your credit rating has more to do with your insurance rates than a speeding ticket or 2. If you do not believe me, then ask your insurance agent.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

I agree

Va used to be for lovers, and now for lovers of traffic, The HOV is a joke, everyone pays for the roads therefore all should be allowed to use every lane. Some cannot use HOV like those who drive company service vehicles with just the driver. Im glad Maryland does not have the once a year vehicle inspections like VA,just another way to get your hard earned cash, and as for speeders I cannot look at my spedo every second of the day and I drive all day, and it is those times I will get caught! Im staying on this side of the border!

Yep..

metricman wrote:

Just a FYI for you other readers. Your credit rating has more to do with your insurance rates than a speeding ticket or 2. If you do not believe me, then ask your insurance agent.

A drunk can have 2 DWI convictions but excellent credit and pay less in insurance than a person with a clean driving record but low credit rating.

--
Mike

Didn't See His Reply on National CCW

... Because it doesn't exist for the common citizen...

I'm legal in 42 states, with licenses from 3 different states. Unfortunately, some key states I travel to (often) do not have reciprocity with my home state.

For all the CCW info one could probably need or want, visit www.handgunlaw.us

Good info there by state of what is legal etc.

--
JEOII

Well being from the Great

Well being from the Great White North and hearing that State Troopers love Ontario plates, I guess I'll just have to use cruise control and remember to set using the small numbers(mph) instead of the big ones(kph)

--
All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players. Rush

Are you law enforcement?

edited...missed the HR218 reply...

laser and speed

A number of comments dealt with what I term 'aggressive drivers' and speed. Definitely these types of drivers are ones that we look for because they are a danger to everyone on the road. Lasers are vehicle specific and the tool of choice. Radar is +/- 1 mph, laser is not. It does not matter if you are in a pack, if you appear to be more aggressive then you can be 'selected' for enforcement action.

Having said that, sometimes there are just directed enforcement patrols, everyone speeding will be ticketed. My recommendation for speed over the posted limit.....don't go more then 7 mph over.

Enforcement

The Governator in Cali wanted to hijack all of the revenues from Red Light Cameras (we don't have speed here yet) ---he was immediately lambasted by the local Law Enforcement Officers about the fact these are enforcement-oriented, not revenue-oriented--needless to say, Arnold the Governator quickly backed down and hopefully learned his lesson.

More on the Radar topic, there is one spot on Highway 50 east of Sacramento that the Highway Patrol is always running Radar on--and they are not discreet about it. Problem is, it looks like the same guy all of the time, wearing the same sunglasses on a cloudy day, and he never moves. I have gone past him on my motorcycle, in the fast lane, doing ---errr, let's just say --- probably more than 10 mph over the speed limit. Funny thing is, he never ever pulls people over. surprised

I am convinced it is a dummy put there in order to slow folks down. One of these days, I think I'll swing in and ask him for directions! wink

Maryland Troppers

FZbar wrote:

As a Marylander, I guess I'll have to completely stop my shopping in VA. That certainly will limit my exposure to VA State Troopers.

Fred

Maryland State Police started using Laser speed guns since the early 90's. You'll need to stop shopping in Maryland too.

Why a gun?

JEOII wrote:

... Because it doesn't exist for the common citizen...

I'm legal in 42 states, with licenses from 3 different states. Unfortunately, some key states I travel to (often) do not have reciprocity with my home state.

For all the CCW info one could probably need or want, visit www.handgunlaw.us

Good info there by state of what is legal etc.

It used to be said that guys bought Corvettes to compensate for a small...

What now it's a gun? Who the heck needs them anyway? You're just asking for trouble.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.