Alert: GPS Thefts Lead to home robberies

 

Now there’s a new car crime, this one involving dashboard-mounted Global Positioning System (GPS). Tisha Thompson explains how thieves can now use these devices to break into your home.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/money/local_money/GPS_Thefts...

--
Go Cubbies!!!

The only thing new about this report

fatboy95th wrote:

Now there’s a new car crime, this one involving dashboard-mounted Global Positioning System (GPS). Tisha Thompson explains how thieves can now use these devices to break into your home.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/money/local_money/GPS_Thefts_Lead_to_Home_Robbe

is the date. Must have been a really slow news day to rehash this report that has been going on for years.

This was discussed here extensively about a year ago and it was old news then. The upshot is set Home to an intersection in the neighborhood. You know where the driveway is from that intersection don't you?

In any event, if they rifle the car when taking the GPS, they have your insurance card or registration which both have to be in the car with your address listed.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Thefts

First, don't put your home location in. Use your first name, like you use for other friends.

Second, never leave documents in your car or mail.

That was easy.

Fred

The way I heard it.

The way I here the story is they steal the GPS AND your garage door opener. They then drive to your house which is conveniently programmed into your GPS for them, hit the garage door button when they get there and then commence to clean out the house.

--
Garmin Nuvi 780

Registration is required by law

FZbar wrote:

Second, never leave documents in your car or mail.

That was easy.

Fred

to be in the vehicle. With many cars having multiple drivers, proof of insurance is also best left in the vehicle or otherwise an alternate driver may not be able to prove insurance.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Proof of Insurance required in WA and some other states

a_user wrote:
FZbar wrote:

Second, never leave documents in your car or mail.

That was easy.

Fred

to be in the vehicle. With many cars having multiple drivers, proof of insurance is also best left in the vehicle or otherwise an alternate driver may not be able to prove insurance.

a_user is right. States require certain document. At one time WA required that the registration be displayed (hence the holders designed to fit around the steering wheel shaft - now I'm showing my age.)

easy solution

a_user wrote:
FZbar wrote:

Second, never leave documents in your car or mail.

That was easy.

Fred

to be in the vehicle. With many cars having multiple drivers, proof of insurance is also best left in the vehicle or otherwise an alternate driver may not be able to prove insurance.

With the abundance of scanners and photo editing software, simply make a copy of the registration / insurance, and cut out the part with the home address on it.

Simple insurance against this type of crime.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

Nope -

nuvic360 wrote:

With the abundance of scanners and photo editing software, simply make a copy of the registration / insurance, and cut out the part with the home address on it.

Simple insurance against this type of crime.

The laws in most states are pretty plain - it has to be the state issued original registration, not a copy. Because of photoshop and other document managing software, they require the originals to guard against forgery which helps target against stolen vehicles.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

A good reason for password

A good reason to keep your GPSr turned off (or in standby) and passworded when not in use!

--
sewisdom - Drive carefully. The life you save... may be someone who owes you money!

ya same here...

a_user wrote:
fatboy95th wrote:

Now there’s a new car crime, this one involving dashboard-mounted Global Positioning System (GPS). Tisha Thompson explains how thieves can now use these devices to break into your home.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/money/local_money/GPS_Thefts_Lead_to_Home_Robbe

is the date. Must have been a really slow news day to rehash this report that has been going on for years.

This was discussed here extensively about a year ago and it was old news then. The upshot is set Home to an intersection in the neighborhood. You know where the driveway is from that intersection don't you?

In any event, if they rifle the car when taking the GPS, they have your insurance card or registration which both have to be in the car with your address listed.

I have my home coordinates set to the starbucks near my house, cause i'm there all the damn time, on the internet...and for the reasons you suggest above.

Now, I;m thinking, maybe i should keep my car registration etc in my laptop bag and take it with me...my laptop bag goes with me most of the time anyway cause I'm a little paranoid about the heat here in southern california, AND it getting stolen. I HAVE had my car broken into before, although I had my revenge - the bag they stole with the Best Buy logo on it was full of trash - was cleaning up my car earlier that day smile All they got was $3 in quarters from the ashtray smile

thank

hi. thank you every one. why would everyone drive vehiles if it cause global warming

thank goodness

hi.goodness that there is a password

huh?

sroher wrote:

hi. thank you every one. why would everyone drive vehiles if it cause global warming

err . . . . because global warming is caused by the sun?

--
Currently have: SP3, GPSMAP 276c, Nuvi 760T, Nuvi 3790LMT, Zumo 660T

a strange coincidence?

bramfrank wrote:
sroher wrote:

hi. thank you every one. why would everyone drive vehiles if it cause global warming

err . . . . because global warming is caused by the sun?

I kinda figure the same thing....

Consider:

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Widesca...

Strangely at the same time:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/43650/title/Sun_e...

Could Be coincidence...
But maybe its not

In BC it's OK to have a photocopy...

a_user wrote:

The laws in most states are pretty plain - it has to be the state issued original registration, not a copy. Because of photoshop and other document managing software, they require the originals to guard against forgery which helps target against stolen vehicles.

I was at an ICBC/RCMP sponsored crime prevention presentation and was told that it was OK to keep a photocopy of the insurance registration in the car. The address isn't supposed to be blacked-out, but they said you could photocopy it small so that it would be easier to hide or keep in your wallet.

I don't keep the original owner's registration in the vehicle either because if it was stolen the crooks would have the original papers that they could forge some ID to go with.

--
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Global Warming is Nonsense

If global warming is real, the answer is simple; create a market for green house gasses. Charge individuals and corporations a fee for creating green house gasses. I'm not talking about Al Gore paying his own company to own a ten million dollar home. Make it expensive to create green house gasses. That include livestock ranchers and Chinese car makers.
Jen

IF

jennyzita wrote:

If global warming is real,
Jen

IF is the keyword

still lots of debate on that issue

seems very politicized

skunkape wrote:
jennyzita wrote:

If global warming is real,
Jen

IF is the keyword

still lots of debate on that issue

Ahhh.. politicized "science"..

--
Matt

Unless the thief steals your

Unless the thief steals your keys or garage opener along with your GPS, why would he bother to rob the programmed "home" as opposed to any other random house?

--
Garmin 885T

Papers

I'm in Alberta, Canada and I keep my all 3 of my vehicle registrations and my 1 Insurance paper (Listing 3 vehicles) tucked away in my wallet. I carry my wallet everywhere and could easily have originals re-sent form the Insurance Company if my wallet was ever lost or stolen. This has worked for me for 20+ years so far.

Never leave address in vehicle (on any documents).
Never leave garage opener in plain sight.
Never leave GPS or mount (clean glass = No rings) or 12V plug in plain sight.
Never set HOME on GPS to actual home.....use somewhere frequently visited.
Always password protect GPS.

5 little rules to keep me in good spirits! grin

--
Nuvi 755T, 1350, 265W, 3760, 2595

Assume the theif

awkuan wrote:

Unless the thief steals your keys or garage opener along with your GPS, why would he bother to rob the programmed "home" as opposed to any other random house?

just saw you pull into the movie theater parking lot and go inside. He has at least 90 minutes before anyone would leave the theater. And when was the last time you went to the movies more than a few miles from the house?

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

In Progress???

jennyzita wrote:

If global warming is real, the answer is simple; create a market for green house gasses. Charge individuals and corporations a fee for creating green house gasses. I'm not talking about Al Gore paying his own company to own a ten million dollar home. Make it expensive to create green house gasses. That include livestock ranchers and Chinese car makers.
Jen

I believe that's what our government is trying to do with the "Cap & Trade" bill. Bad government at it's finest.

Locks

It all goes back to a saying I heard a long time ago.

"Locks only keep the honest people out". If someone really wants to find out your address they only need your name. If you are anywhere in range of where they would go to your house they only need to search the white pages for your name and it's a good chance they will get your address. So the GPS makes it easier, but if you have home programmed to the actual house you are only saving them one step.

Original vs Photo copy registration

Stargazer wrote:
a_user wrote:

I don't keep the original owner's registration in the vehicle either because if it was stolen the crooks would have the original papers that they could forge some ID to go with.

I don't keep my original reg in the car either, thanks to my dad. He pointed out, at least where we live, that on the back of the reg is the "transfer of ownership" documentation that is filled out when the car is sold. So if a thief breaks in and steals my car, they just fill out the paper work, and with the above mentioned forged ID, they could potentially sell the car before the police find it. The new owner would be in for a surprise, but the thieves could be a long way gone and with potentially some decent money.

Yes, Don't set home location.

FZbar wrote:

First, don't put your home location in. Use your first name, like you use for other friends.

Second, never leave documents in your car or mail.

That was easy.

Fred

I think this is right.

NY DMV

Ar@g0rn wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
a_user wrote:

I don't keep the original owner's registration in the vehicle either because if it was stolen the crooks would have the original papers that they could forge some ID to go with.

I don't keep my original reg in the car either, thanks to my dad. He pointed out, at least where we live, that on the back of the reg is the "transfer of ownership" documentation that is filled out when the car is sold. So if a thief breaks in and steals my car, they just fill out the paper work, and with the above mentioned forged ID, they could potentially sell the car before the police find it. The new owner would be in for a surprise, but the thieves could be a long way gone and with potentially some decent money.

Not sure if you know about this but in NYS, whenever it's a street/highway vehicle and does have a title issued, the back of the registration shows: NOT TRANSFERABLE

You'd have to fill out a MV-82 form, the back of the tilte, the previous owner would have to sign both papers, provide proof of insurance with the new owner's name and address listed as exactly on the new driver's license and the insurance card.
And that's not it...the DMV needs photocopy of BOTH driver's license's....the previous owner and the new owner.
It cannot be done online at the NY DMV, it needs to be done in person.
If it's transfered due to a sale, then a 'bill of sale' copy is needed.
If transfered as a Gift from a family member, it's tax exempt and there's another form to fill out in addition.

also the NY DMV is a joke when it comes down to matching documents...they would not let me transfer ownership of a car from a family member because a '.' was not in the insurance card after my middle intital...

Like: 'John E Doe' ....it gets rejected and you'd have to go thru the process with your insurance comapany to get a new one sent to you.

When it shows: 'John E. Doe' ....it goes thru.

I found out that the hard way...

All other things like reg renewals can be done online.

If it's a jetski, ATV, etc of that nature, then on the back of the reg, it shows "TRANSFERABLE" and all it needs is a signature of the previous owner and the title signed on the back by both owners.

As for reg's and stuff like that in the car...I keep my reg in my wallet at all times.

One time I got pulled over after the tolls because the cop said he tried to move lanes and he didn't have any turn signal on in his imapla MTA car when I was on his right side approaching a toll...when I gave him my reg, all of the ink/print was washed out due to it being folded in half and pressed by my @$$ whenever I sit, and hudimity from hot and humid days or long road trips.
He came back and let me go in like a min...I guess he didn't want to wait or feel the need to call dispatch for my records on file and make errors on the ticket.

As for the insurance card, it stays in the car but I wish there is a way to block out the name/address in case it falls in the wrong hands....I did manage to fade the house # on it and crumbled it a lil to make it look worn.

As for the garage door opener, it's programmed in my rearview mirror buttons so not much of a concern here.

--
-Chris

Right

The password is the key.