Speed Camera Operator Killed in Phoenix

 

Sad,

but probably not totally unexpected.

All about "safety" eh?

http://tinyurl.com/cz627g

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

good riddance.

good riddance.

--
GPS Models : 60CSX w/2GB Kingston (stolen), 32GB Samsung INNOV8 with Garmin Mobile XT(8GB), NUVI 760 w/16GB PSF16GSDHC6 (DIED in 30 days), V (died), Nokia N8 with Garmin Mobile XT(48GB), Blackberry Torch with Google Maps.

That's murder

That's murder. Your comment is not funny.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Inappropriate

I'm sure the comment was meant to be humorous, but it is, to say the least, in bad taste.

--
nuvi 785 nuvi 350, nuvi 270, GTM 20, jag in dash, mercedes in dash.

Not funny

No matter how much motorist hate the cameras, that operator was just doing his or her job and did not deserve to die because of it. It was murder and not a joking matter.

Definitely Inappropriate

The crime committed was murder. When the perpetrator is caught they will be facing a felony charge. Considering the age of the suspect, he will most likely be spending the remainder of his life behind bars. This was a senseless crime with no positive outcome.

Hope they catch the killer.

Hope they catch the killer.

--
“Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”

Very much murder. Looks like

Very much murder. Looks like with the pic and description, the killer will be caught soon.

--
Newbee

Huh?

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

You agree with the murder of another human?
In another post I stated, people don't respect themselves, yet alone the law.
This just proves it, What have we come to when a reply to murder is Good Riddance?

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

You Know what it's about and so do I

rocknicehunter wrote:

Sad,

but probably not totally unexpected.

All about "safety" eh?

http://tinyurl.com/cz627g

You Know what it's about and so do I, Revenue!
What do you mean "probably not totally unexpected."

Not with you on your remark though brother, this guy got murdered, unless your a thug in the real world, how could you possibly say this action was "probably not totally unexpected."

if you don't like the current law's in your municipality take action on election day, don't condone the murder of a man doing his job.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

I don't believe you

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

How can you respond like that! This is near where we winter. It's scary to think someone would do that to another person. That driver needs a life sentence for murder!

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

Tacky

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

This comment is uncalled for and as far as i am conserned i hope Miss POI kicks you butt off the site.
Good riddance.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

sorry to hear that

it is not funny at all.

Damn cowards who shot and

Damn cowards who shot and killed the operator. I hope they get caught and put in the slammer for a very long time!!! At least they have a lead:

Quote:

Police are looking for a suspect vehicle, which was captured by video equipment on the photo enforcement SUV, which is marked as a DPS vehicle. It is approximately a 1980s model two-tone, gray/white Chevrolet Suburban with a roof rack. The driver is described as a man who appears to be in his 60s, is white and has white hair and a white mustache.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

I mean exactly that

BobDee wrote:
rocknicehunter wrote:

Sad,

but probably not totally unexpected.

All about "safety" eh?

http://tinyurl.com/cz627g

You Know what it's about and so do I, Revenue!
What do you mean "probably not totally unexpected."

Not with you on your remark though brother, this guy got murdered, unless your a thug in the real world, how could you possibly say this action was "probably not totally unexpected."

if you don't like the current law's in your municipality take action on election day, don't condone the murder of a man doing his job.

I DO NOT, under any circumstances condone the murder. This is an extremely sad thing, but to say that it is a good idea to place an unarmed person, alone, along a dark and busy roadway, doing something that is hated by many, in one of the most violent cities in country is a good idea is simply naive.

People are killed for as little as $5, because they were driving too slowly in the left lane, because they were sitting on their front porch or just because they look at the wrong person the wrong way.

Its all disgusting... but to say that violence against these operators, even murder, isn't possible or even expected is the height of ignorance or stupidity. These people, who are just doing their jobs, are just inviting targets to the criminally insane.

As an aside, the main road past my neighborhood has a 25mph speed limit. It is well patrolled by motorcycle cops and a photo van is often positioned near the elementary school. I'm very happy to have both.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend was being tailgated by a woman on a cell phone. She said she could see the woman yelling and waving her arms for her to speed up or get out of the way. When my girlfriend made the turn on to our street she stopped and watch this woman speed off down the road, furious some one would actually be doing the speed limit. She waiting until she saw the flash of the photo van as this idiot sped past it. The wrong person with a gun might have been so angry that this operator could have been a target too, not to mention my girlfriend, who was doing nothing more provocative than driving at the speed limit.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

Very Sad Indeed

BobDee wrote:

You Know what it's about and so do I, Revenue!
What do you mean "probably not totally unexpected."

Not with you on your remark though brother, this guy got murdered, unless your a thug in the real world, how could you possibly say this action was "probably not totally unexpected."

if you don't like the current law's in your municipality take action on election day, don't condone the murder of a man doing his job.

Saying that this is 'not totally unexpected' does not suggest that the original poster is a thug, and whether or not particular issues can be resolved through democratic processes is a completely different discussion altogether.

It is very sad, indeed, but I am not surprised at all. People don't always act rationally, especially people considering crimes like this one. The suspect may have even thought that he was taking an appropriate course of action, or it may have been something that he knew was wrong and decided to do it anyway. It's not even safe to assume that the suspect has such little regard for the lives of other people, he may have viewed the radar employee as someone who is less of a person based on their occupation.

I'm not saying that thinking in these ways justifies the crime, it doesn't. I am simply stating that it is important not to superimpose your worldview and interpretation of reality if you really want to understand the mind of criminals, like the man in this story.

Your Kidding Right? He Murdered Someone Period!

jonny5 wrote:
BobDee wrote:

You Know what it's about and so do I, Revenue!
What do you mean "probably not totally unexpected."

Not with you on your remark though brother, this guy got murdered, unless your a thug in the real world, how could you possibly say this action was "probably not totally unexpected."

if you don't like the current law's in your municipality take action on election day, don't condone the murder of a man doing his job.

Edited
It's not even safe to assume that the suspect has such little regard for the lives of other people, he may have viewed the radar employee as someone who is less of a person based on their occupation.

I'm not saying that thinking in these ways justifies the crime, it doesn't. I am simply stating that it is important not to superimpose your worldview and interpretation of reality if you really want to understand the mind of criminals, like the man in this story.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Evidently the city expects it.

Or why did they suspended the practice...

In the wake of the shooting, DPS officials released a statement on Monday morning reading, "We have suspended operation of the mobile photo enforcement units until further notice."

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

premeditated

dave817 wrote:

That's murder. Your comment is not funny.

premeditated too... that guy will be making some interesting boyfriends in the jail soon

He may have been referring to the vans use being suspended..

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

At least I prefer to look at it in that manner... shock

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

likely only suspended the operation untill they nail this guy

aophiuchus wrote:

Or why did they suspended the practice...

In the wake of the shooting, DPS officials released a statement on Monday morning reading, "We have suspended operation of the mobile photo enforcement units until further notice."

They have most likely only suspended the operation untill they nail this guy. The concern I would think is that if he did it once he may do it again. With his description and that unique two tone suburban with that big roof rack someone has to know who he is.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Sad

I don't understand the logic behind some of the comments here.

It's a murder.

Unfortunately an innocent person got killed while doing his job and putting anything else in perspective along the fact that this was a cold blooded murder is out of my mind.

Off Your Meds?

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

Hard to imagine that kind of comment coming from someone who claims to live in Kansas City. I thought you folks were a little more laid back than that.

Living in the Phoenix area I can guarantee you the video of the driver and his very distinctive SUV are everywhere today. Obviously the shooter didn't know or didn't care those vans are recording video whenever they're parked. He was recorded coming and going. TV has the pictures, radio has the description and the cops are extremely focused.

I suspect the reason the camera van program was suspended is to both prevent that lunatic from striking again and to thwart would be copycats (like ol' Kansas City here).

The dead operator had only been on the job a few months. He may have had a family. Fan of electronic speed controls or not most (I hope) would agree this really sucks.

JL,
Scottsdale

--
Garmin GPS III, GPS V, StreetPilot 2610, Mobile 10, Nuvi 660, Nuvi 760

We live in a High tech Society, and Can't have it both ways

None of us like the Camera Laws, But they are Laws and if you break the law, you basically have two choices now and one later, but the later does not get you off the hook for the ticket:

1) Pay the Ticket because your guilty of the traffic offense. You want to Face your Human Accuser? We live in a high tech society and Video and Digital Images are your Accuser, and since your reading this, you are part of the High Tech Society spoken of, and you can't have it both ways.

2) You can contest the ticket, and face your accuser, be it a city prosecutor with camera evidence or just the camera evidence in front of person appointed by local legislation to handle the docket for these matters.

I chose number 2, and wasn't pleased with the out come, But never once thought about Murder during the whole process.

Not sure a Life sentence is strong enough to deal with the murder of this magnitude. Obviously the suspect is a Defective Human and deserves nothing more from the court system then he gave the camera operator.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

I hate the camera lights

I hate the camera lights also, but no-one deserves to die over it. I hope this doesn't become a growing trend.

Suspect arrested

If you follow the link in the OP's post, they've already arrested a suspect. There's a news conference scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Phoenix time.

--
"The true measure of persons is how they treat someone who can do them absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Good!!!!

Let's hope it's the right individual and he pays for it...

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Senseless

As the Police Chief said, a totally senseless killing. My sympathies to the family and friends of the murdered man.

Definitely not a good news story to follow

One would have to wonder what was in this guys mind to go down that path. Senseless murders are just that - senseless. Construction workers getting killed along the highways because someone was drunk or driving too fast through the construction zone; someone perhaps got a ticket from a speed camera, so seeks vengeance on someone he sees in a marked camera van?

And I am thinking of the horror that his wife must have endured, being on the phone with him when he died. crying

--
And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

Just Senseless

rocknicehunter wrote:

Sad,

but probably not totally unexpected.

All about "safety" eh?

http://tinyurl.com/cz627g

I disagree with the "not totally unexpected" statement, however we have all seen a trend of increased violence in the past few months where seemingly normal people lose it and whack their co-workers or their families. Blame it on the economy or people just being tweaked or both. It's murder any way you cut it. This was senseless and the operator did not deserve to lose his life.

As for Zurk, his post was second in this thread. There was no talk about pulling the vans off the street yet. His comment was directed to the driver. It says a lot about his tweaked character. I'll second the call for his removal.

Who appointed you the internet censor ?

phxpilot wrote:
rocknicehunter wrote:

Sad,

but probably not totally unexpected.

All about "safety" eh?

http://tinyurl.com/cz627g

I disagree with the "not totally unexpected" statement, however we have all seen a trend of increased violence in the past few months where seemingly normal people lose it and whack their co-workers or their families. Blame it on the economy or people just being tweaked or both. It's murder any way you cut it. This was senseless and the operator did not deserve to lose his life.

As for Zurk, his post was second in this thread. There was no talk about pulling the vans off the street yet. His comment was directed to the driver. It says a lot about his tweaked character. I'll second the call for his removal.

Zurk is a total as*-hole. However that does not mean he does not have a right to his opinion. If you don't like him or his opinion don't read what he posts.

What would your reaction be if people started calling for your removal. He posted what I consider a disgusting opinion that I totally disagree with, but I have the option not to read it. If you are offended get a thicker skin; the world does not revolve around those who want everything to be run by mister and missus nice in charge of the nanny state.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

It was stated in the article of the OP about the vans

phxpilot wrote:

As for Zurk, his post was second in this thread. There was no talk about pulling the vans off the street yet. His comment was directed to the driver. It says a lot about his tweaked character. I'll second the call for his removal.

Did you even read the article in the OP's link?

I'm not justifying the comment if the comment was directed toward the slain worker, but since there hasn't been a response from zurk as to what he meant, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Edit: this is a quote from the original article's link:

"We have suspended operation of the mobile photo enforcement units until further notice."

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

this is Not Place for Censorship

I agree with Double Tap, You can disagree with every thing he says or stands for, but calling for his removal or his posts are censorship.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

they Caught the Guy

Now let justise prevail

--
><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><- 4-Garmin Nuvi 760>>>> Owner: Sunrise Mechanical A/C & Heating,, Peoria, Arizona

No one is getting removed!!!

No one is getting removed!!! Let's keep it friendly and keep the personal attacks out of our community please.

Miss POI

I not big on speed cameras,

I not big on speed cameras, but this has gone to far.

Senseless

This is a sad situation for every one.
I hope there are no more situations like this.

--
Gps! ask where to go and get there! Best of all, what we need is to have accurate pois to reach all destinations

The operator is simply just

The operator is simply just doing his/her job. We shouldn't hate someone just b/c of their profession.

We should, instead, blame ourselves for violating the law in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

Doing his job

Really, the economy and everything has made otherwise normal people turn into trigger-happy loons. I work at the state Dept. of Revenue and we've had a huge spike in people threatening bodily harm to revenue agents.

We have all kinds... Even on here...

zurk wrote:

good riddance.

That comment was out of bounds....
But hey its a free country...

Focus on the the victim.. Not the a-hole!

To read more about Douglas Georgianni, tune into:
http://www.kpho.com/traffic/19234357/detail.html

Unfortunately we have to share this world with cowards and a-holes...

In my line of work I have the privilege to see the best in people and the worst of them. Makes it all the better when I get home and see my kids safe in their beds.

As I read above we can choose to read what the JERK wrote or just pass it on knowing that people like him exist... And then there are the rest of us.

Prayers are to the family of Mr.Georgianni.

jf
Phoenix

that's horrible, the guy was

that's horrible, the guy was just doing his job.

This is America, is it not?

Hello,

Although I totally disagree with his/her statement and its a terrible thing to say, my condolences to the family.

We do live in America, and although I completely disagree with the statement and find it offensive, we live in a land that allows one free speech, our forefathers died to give us the freedom we have and enjoy today. I do not take the sacrifices they made years ago for the freedoms I enjoy today lightly.

I do not remember the movie but I agree with the statement 100% and it goes something like this.

You want free speech, lets see you acknowledge a man who's words make your blood boil who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.

You want to claim this land the land of the free, then the symbol of your country cannot be just a flag.

To call for his removal over this statement is something that should not be done.

Just my two cents.

--
GPS On The Ground | FMC In The Air

Good Riddance, zurk

Well, since this idiot hasn't bother posting since his unbelievably insensitive comment, perhaps he has left without needing to be removed. We can only hope.

Good riddance to him.

phxflyboy

Two Way Street?

Double Tap wrote:

Zurk is a total as*-hole. However that does not mean he does not have a right to his opinion. If you don't like him or his opinion don't read what he posts.

What would your reaction be if people started calling for your removal. He posted what I consider a disgusting opinion that I totally disagree with, but I have the option not to read it. If you are offended get a thicker skin; the world does not revolve around those who want everything to be run by mister and missus nice in charge of the nanny state.

Were you offended by my remarks? Am I not entitled to my opinion as well? We can play the censorship card both ways all day. I'm not in a position to censor anyone.This thread and many like it on this site revolve around commenting on others postings (just like you did to mine.)I suppose you could choose not to read what I post as well. How thick is your skin?