Maryland and Florida Red Light Cams

 

I just had the opportunity to try out my GPS in Maryland and in Pensacola, FL. When the warning alarms went off in my GPS, it was surprising. However it did work great.

My question deals with how the cameras were presented in each state. In Maryland, there was a big warning sign on a post stating that the redlight had cameras. In Florida, I saw the cameras at the intersection but there were no signs identifying them as redlight cameras.

So, are the cameras in Pensacola the same as in MD? I mean can cameras that are associated with ticketing allowed to be placed without warning signs? Or are the cameras in Pensacola actually traffic cameras so that emergency groups can watch the intersection for possible wrecks or traffic backups?

Other pages

--
Garmin Nuvi 2699 with 2017.30 Maps
Page 1>>

Not talking to myself

So does anyone have an answer to the above questions? Are warning signs about traffic cameras a law? Could some of the reported cameras in the Red Light POI be just observation cameras and not actual traffic cameras?

--
Garmin Nuvi 2699 with 2017.30 Maps

I know that in Philadelphia,

I know that in Philadelphia, there are no signs to tell you where they are. Well.. at least no signs that are readable from your car. I've never actually inspected on foot though, so maybe there is a small sign? But I doubt it. It seems to me that there wouldn't be a law though. Streets are owned by the city, and they can do whatever they want with them. So I say that the signs that you saw are just a courtesy to the drivers.

The streets are owned by

The streets are owned by *us* and managed by the politicians we choose to represent us. Unfortunately we choose politicians that represent us poorly.

I don't disagree as a rule

I don't disagree as a general rule, but is it so terrible to have red light cameras at intersections? I want to know where they are as much as the next person, but if they were at every intersection, wouldn't people drive a little more safely? And isn't that part of what politicians are legitimately there for?

MD

In MD there are observation cameras. They are used to visualize back up in traffic. We use www.trafficland.com to see our traffic and there are cameras everywhere.

Ticket cameras do exist but there is no warning. Just a nice $75 ticket with a picture of your car : Front and back and speed.

--
Garmin Nuvi 660;Garmin GPS III+ (Biking, Hiking); Toyota Camry Hybrid with Navigation

Red light cameras in Bel

Red light cameras in Bel Air, MD do have warning signs.

--
Steve in MD Garmin 330, 2720, BMW iDrive (POS!)

Steve, Bel Air was where I

Steve,

Bel Air was where I saw them.

--
Garmin Nuvi 2699 with 2017.30 Maps

Well, the "powers that be"

Well, the "powers that be" justified the placement of Red Light Cameras by saying they are a "Deterrent" to running red lights.

So, I feel that the placement of signs absolutely SHOULD be done to make people aware of the fact that they are being "watched".

I see more cameras that do NOT have warning signs posted than the ones thatr do have any sort of sign.

I'm in Maryland.

Tim

Maryland Traffic Cameras

DOT's website http://www.chart.state.md.us/travInfo/weatherStationData.asp

has all state cameras AND Speed Sensor Data.

Most red light cameras are in locations that have heavy traffic most of the day and evening.

Some of the areas in

Some of the areas in Southern MD have warnings about the camera, such as route 301. Watch out in Baltimore City. The city's website has a list of the cameras, but it is not the full list. I received my ticket at Madison and Caroline St. and this site was not listed on the webpage.

MD Red-LIght cameras

In Frederick, MD, they have warnings posted. If that doesn't get your attention, the cameras and lights should give you a clue, but they still got me. For $75, you get a very clear, color photo of your vehicle from a few different angles, and a nice close-up of your license plate. They also provide a code you can enter to view the high-resolution video, or share it with your friends.

If you sit at the intersection at night, you will see the lights flash at almost every signal change. I would guess that the majority of citations are for not coming to a complete stop when making a right turn on red. They got me twice on that one. Since most drivers do not completely stop when turning right, these things are real money makers.

--
Garmin: Dezl 770 Nuvi 780, Nuvi 260W, GPSMAP 295, GPSMAP 396, GNC250-XL Magellan: Meridian Platinum, GPS-315 (first GPS in 1999)

There was one warning for

There was one warning for camera set up about two months ago near H-mart on Route 40 near 695 in Baltimore. But not anywhere else near that location.

What is H-mart??

andrewyu wrote:

There was one warning for camera set up about two months ago near H-mart on Route 40 near 695 in Baltimore. But not anywhere else near that location.

Are you talking about on the east side (near Franklin Square) or west side (Woodlawn)?

--
Fletch- Nuvi 750

Signs in Bel Air

Holydoc wrote:

So does anyone have an answer to the above questions? Are warning signs about traffic cameras a law? Could some of the reported cameras in the Red Light POI be just observation cameras and not actual traffic cameras?

I know you are probably talking about the ones on Rt. 24 North at Bus. Rt. 1 and Rt. 24 South at Boulton St. They actually put the Red Light Cams there to try to cut down on the number of crashes at those two intersections (some days would have 2 or 3 and many times pretty bad). The signs were put there to draw even more attention to the Cameras with the hope that people would be even more discouraged from running or try to run the yellow.

--
Fletch- Nuvi 750

bump

bump

Some cams have signs warning

Some cams have signs warning you.
Others don't.

NYC

In NYC the warning signs are placed at the entrances to the counties...ex. Outerbridge, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge...they state that traffic signals at intersections within NYC may be monitored and enforced by cameras. However, no signs are posted near the enforcement intersections like I have seen in parts of California.

Maryland/Montgomery Village.speed trap to be removed from MVAve

During local meeting with police enforcement last week, they informed that the speed cameras on both ways of Montgomery Village Ave will be taken down.

The number of tickets have dropped to 10% of what it was before the new traffic lights on Lakeshore Drive were installed.

No plans to relocate these cameras within the Village.

Cheers,

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

Thanks

batera wrote:

During local meeting with police enforcement last week, they informed that the speed cameras on both ways of Montgomery Village Ave will be taken down.

The number of tickets have dropped to 10% of what it was before the new traffic lights on Lakeshore Drive were installed.

No plans to relocate these cameras within the Village.

Cheers,

Thanks for letting me know, will this happen right away or should I wait for you to let me know when they are inactivated?

Lakeland, FL RLC Update

Several weeks ago, I notified Miss POI about red light cameras being installed at these 5 Lakeland, FL intersections and she added them to the file. In 3 weeks time, over 1,000 tickets have been issued.

Apparently, these drivers didn't have a GPS loaded with the RLC file from the POI Factory. mrgreen

arrow http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?storyid=108274&p...

Watch the video on the right side of the page.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Redlight Camera Warning Sign

Every state that allows these cameras has their own laws governing weather signage is required. Many states to NOT require warning signs notifying you of the camera.

Maryland Red Light and Speed Cameras

Fortunately local Maryland governments are taking heed as more citizens come forward with valid complaints about the speed and red light cameras being more about money than safety. The enforcement cameras here are normally green boxes mounted on poles. A speed camera I am aware of in Damascus Maryland consists of two boxes on poles apparently planted in someone's front yard. A sign posted a few hundred feed from the camera, at the point where the speed limit is reduced from 40 to 30 mph, warns drivers that the 30mph limit is photo enforced. I have passed the area many times and my Garmin has never failed to alert me in plenty of time to ensure I don't get a ticket.
At another location, in Reistertown, MD, traveling south (or East, as the case may be) at the intersection of Reistertown Road where I turn right onto Main Street, my "red alert" message comes on (with no audible warning) telling me I have to turn, but says nothing about it being a red light camera. I assume because I turn here that my Garmin gives priority to my route and not the red light camera warning.

--
JD

MD red light cameras

I am a MD resident and most of the cameras seem to have signs, but some don't. There is a camera at the corner of Robert Fulton Drive and Solar Walk in Columbia that does not have a sign. Ya gotta be careful, the cameras can come up without warning.

Differnce

ewillner wrote:

I am a MD resident and most of the cameras seem to have signs, but some don't. There is a camera at the corner of Robert Fulton Drive and Solar Walk in Columbia that does not have a sign. Ya gotta be careful, the cameras can come up without warning.

Speed cameras have to have signs. Red light cameras in MD don't.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

not so fast...

miss poi wrote:
batera wrote:

During local meeting with police enforcement last week, they informed that the speed cameras on both ways of Montgomery Village Ave will be taken down.

The number of tickets have dropped to 10% of what it was before the new traffic lights on Lakeshore Drive were installed.

No plans to relocate these cameras within the Village.

Cheers,

Thanks for letting me know, will this happen right away or should I wait for you to let me know when they are inactivated?

They're still there.
Q

--
Galaxy NoteII, nüvi® 680

Yippee!!!

Q wrote:
miss poi wrote:
batera wrote:

During local meeting with police enforcement last week, they informed that the speed cameras on both ways of Montgomery Village Ave will be taken down.

The number of tickets have dropped to 10% of what it was before the new traffic lights on Lakeshore Drive were installed.

No plans to relocate these cameras within the Village.

Cheers,

Thanks for letting me know, will this happen right away or should I wait for you to let me know when they are inactivated?

They're still there.
Q

They're now GONE!!!! grin
Q

--
Galaxy NoteII, nüvi® 680

Hammer down driver. Hammer

Hammer down driver. Hammer down!

--
Nuvi 3790LMT, Nuvi 760 Lifetime map, Lifetime NavTraffic, Garmin E-Trex Legend Just because "Everyone" drives badly does not mean you have to.

Speed cameras on Montgomery Village Ave have been removed

Hi Miss POI,
I just passed again in front of the area, and all cameras and flashes have been removed from both directions in Montgomery Village Ave, Montgomery Village, MD.

Take care,
Claudio

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

Use link.

batera wrote:

Hi Miss POI,
I just passed again in front of the area, and all cameras and flashes have been removed from both directions in Montgomery Village Ave, Montgomery Village, MD.

Take care,
Claudio

Use the report a redlight camera link on the right!

--
Nuvi 3790LMT, Nuvi 760 Lifetime map, Lifetime NavTraffic, Garmin E-Trex Legend Just because "Everyone" drives badly does not mean you have to.

reply

Hi 'Onestep'
After I posted on this trend, Miss POI asked me on June 22nd:
"Thanks for letting me know, will this happen right away or should I wait for you to let me know when they are inactivated?"

I was out of the country for a long time. Upon my return, I replied:
"I just passed again in front of the area, and all cameras and flashes have been removed from both directions in Montgomery Village Ave, Montgomery Village, MD."

I hope this answered her question.

Cheers,

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

That location has been

That location has been removed from the file.

Miss POI

Thanks!

I'll be downloading the new file...

I may have another one to report that is incorrect.

There seems to be a few other "locals" reading this thread, can anyone see the camera that is reported near the intersection of Snouffer's School Road and Centerway? I've never been able to find that one, yet it is still in the file.

Q

--
Galaxy NoteII, nüvi® 680

several 'cameras' don't exist

Q wrote:

There seems to be a few other "locals" reading this thread, can anyone see the camera that is reported near the intersection of Snouffer's School Road and Centerway? I've never been able to find that one, yet it is still in the file.

Q

I've posted before that several entries in Montgomery County, MD on the POI file were not cameras, but instead school zones or mobile vans/ police cruisers that people either reported or were posted by the local police on their website as 'possible' locations for their vans. I argued that we shouldn't have mobile or temporary traps in the file. I lost the argument then. They're still there and I have to manually delete them every time I download the new file. (pain in the neck).

The one you're reporting was on the MC police website at one time as a 'possible' location for the trap van. I haven't seen that van in several months anywhere around here. I also reported one false entry on the file that was flagging at the corner of Watkins Mill with Apple Ridge Rd that didn't exist (I think it was the school zone for the high school there). Anyway, as I reported then (during the argument I lost), driving in my area I was getting 10 false alarms against each correct camera reported by the POI file. Since it takes me too long to delete all the false entries, I only have the patience to download a new POI file and clean it a couple of times a year!!!

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

I have removed all the

I have removed all the mobile speed locations.

Miss POI

smack!!

miss poi wrote:

I have removed all the mobile speed locations.

Miss POI

I wanna kiss you! smile

Thanks,

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

To answer your question it

To answer your question it is Maryland state law that they have to post photo enforced signs.

Photo enforced signs are

Photo enforced signs are everywhere in the Montgomery County, maybe because of mobile cameras. Need a Radar Detector to detect them.

After the speed cameras were removed...people still slow down

Oddly enough, after the cameras were removed from Montgomery Village Avenue almost two months ago, a lot of people still slow down on the spot where they were! I guess it takes a while for people to be re-conditioned smile

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

Red light cameras

AFAIAC, you run a red light you deserve the ticket. You turn right on red without coming to a stop and actually yielding to those coming down the right of way, you deserve a ticket. Rolling through is not stopping. Speed cameras may make money, and they may not. You break the law, eat the ticket, or get the law changed. Whine somewhere else, please.

Our traffic here around PG County sucks because of the accordian effect caused by following too closely, so enjoy the tie-ups that you cause by doing so. Just my opinion.

Ye. I noticed too. Maybe bc

Ye. I noticed too. Maybe bc of the white lines on the road.

Ye

batera wrote:

Oddly enough, after the cameras were removed from Montgomery Village Avenue almost two months ago, a lot of people still slow down on the spot where they were! I guess it takes a while for people to be re-conditioned smile

Ye. I noticed too. Maybe bc of the white lines on the road.

I agreed if you running a redlight you deserved a ticket...

Running a redlight cost life so eventhough we had a redlight warning on the GPS don't run the redlight please.

Vandals Target Speed Cameras in Montgomery County in MD

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

New speed cameras in Gaithersburg, MD

I sent to MsPOI two new speed cameras I spotted on MD-355 South Frederick Avenue last week. I don't know if they are already operational since they hadn't paint the stripes on the asphalt yet (on Sunday when I crossed them last time).

1)MD-355 in front of the Gaithersburg HS and Bohrer Park area, for people going North.

2)MD-355 right after the bridge over the railroad (Father !?!!, can't remember the name of the bridge), very tricky position to spot, for people going South from Gaithersburg towards Rockville.

These two locations should already be on the latest POI file, so make sure you install them in your unit.

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

New state law in MD: Interstate speed camera mounted on SUV

Read article at:
http://www.gazette.net/stories/10012009/hyatnew172535_32533....

First paragraphs:
"The first speed camera in Prince George's County will start snapping photos on Interstate 95 south of Laurel starting today, state highway officials announced Wednesday.

Speed cameras are being set up in the work zone between the MD-198 and 212 exits on the highway starting as early as midnight, the first day that a new state law allows the devices across Maryland.

Anyone going more than 77 mph – 12 miles above the posted 65 mph limit – could have their photo taken by cameras mounted on a white SUV in the zone and receive a $40 ticket in the future, said Neil Pedersen, the head of the State Highway Administration."

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

updated info on new camers on MD-355

Last Sunday the police had set up those portable displays informing that between Oct.1-15 these two new cameras will be sending out only warnings. Real fines will start after that. Watch out.

batera wrote:

I sent to MsPOI two new speed cameras I spotted on MD-355 South Frederick Avenue last week. I don't know if they are already operational since they hadn't paint the stripes on the asphalt yet (on Sunday when I crossed them last time).

1)MD-355 in front of the Gaithersburg HS and Bohrer Park area, for people going North.

2)MD-355 right after the bridge over the railroad (Father !?!!, can't remember the name of the bridge), very tricky position to spot, for people going South from Gaithersburg towards Rockville.

These two locations should already be on the latest POI file, so make sure you install them in your unit.

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

From what I have heard of

From what I have heard of politicians here in MD, they tell people of the speed cameras as it serves the purpose, getting people to slow down in target areas ie school zones, etc. There was a guy in Bethesda, MD who made a sign on a sheet of plywood warning drivers of speed cameras ahead, the cops didn't care as it got the drivers to slow down. I think the state uses the signs to warn people to prevent the "ignorance of the law" excuse from violators.

Who knows. I'm so glad I have this feature for my Garmin. Well worth it, The cost of the Nuvi, already paid for it's self 2 times over based on $75 tickets. smile and I have been using it about 20 days.

Fyremanjef
MD

I'm glad that I left MD

I'm glad I left MD 10 years ago

I'm glad too! :-)

Then we're both glad you left MD! smile

MJA wrote:

I'm glad I left MD 10 years ago

--
Garmin Nüvi 265W

these cameras are only

these cameras are only going to grow as traffic increases

Page 1>>