I figured out how to operate my nüvi from the USB port

 

I know this has been discussed at length, but I don't remember anyone posting this solution.

When I connect my nüvi 2x0 to the computer it goes into mass storage mode.

If I then slide the power switch to lock before "safely removing the USB mass storage device" it goes into normal operating mode rather than turning off and I can use it while it is connected and charging (after sliding the power switch back).

If I turn it off, it says "Charging Battery"

If I turn it back on, it stays in normal operating mode.

It won't go back into mass storage device mode again until I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in.

I have repeated this several times to verify that it was not a fluke.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598
Page 1>>

750

I believe you but it doesn't work on a 750.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

I can't get this procedure

I can't get this procedure to work with my Nuvi250W. Tried some other combinations and it always goes into the Data mode while/when connected to the computer. I think I have all the program updates but will double check.

750l

I talked to Garmin and they tell me there is no way to use the unit while it is connected to the computer. The only way is with the AC adapter...You obviously have something going on there....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Hooking a 750 to PC in Nav Mode

1. Turn on Nuvi750 (wait til main page comes up)
2. Press and hold Battery Charge Icon ( It will
go into Diagnostic Mode)
3. Using USB cable plug into PC
4. Press EXIT on Diagnostic screen.
5. WAIT - PC will find NEW HARDWARE and build it.
6. Now you should be Connected!

H Hannah
Nuvi750 -Ique3600

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600

Using GPS while connected to a PC

I tried your instructions with my 660, and unless I missed something, mine won't work (using these instructions). It was worth a try.

Miki

Perhaps this is a bug (feature) in the 3.60 firmware.

I have read about the Diagnostics screen method, but have not tried it. The diagnostics mode causes the 2x0 to act flakey afterwards.

I have just tried the power button lock method again and it consistently works.

Perhaps this is a bug (feature) in the 3.60 firmware.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Nuvi 660 Diags

1- Power unit on
2- At the main screen (Where to, View map, etc..) press and hold the time icon for 10 seconds.

You should now bee in diagnostics mode.

That's about as far as I've been able to go so far.

If I plug in the USB able at this point, Diags stop and it goes into PC mode.

--
Nuvi 660 owner.

Run nuvi off the computer

Now if you could actually figure out how to use the nuvi with the laptop screen like a video out, that would be impressive. (Instead of buying the special antenna for a laptop just hook up the nuvi to it and have a large screen) smile

It works on my Nuvi 200!

Thanks for the tip!

--
"Recalculating... drive 0.2 miles, then abandon vehicle." ------------- [ETrex Venture CX; Nüvi 40]

I tried this once...

PaulATL wrote:

Now if you could actually figure out how to use the nuvi with the laptop screen like a video out, that would be impressive. (Instead of buying the special antenna for a laptop just hook up the nuvi to it and have a large screen) smile

I did this with a hand-held Etrex Legend I used to have, running the Garmin nRoute software on the laptop. It didn't duplicate the Etrex display (which was black and white); the nRoute software displayed the map in color on the laptop screen, and just used the Etrex as an antenna. nRoute even has voice prompts, which was new to me at that time.

--
"Recalculating... drive 0.2 miles, then abandon vehicle." ------------- [ETrex Venture CX; Nüvi 40]

I wish I could use my nüvi as a USB GPS

I wish I could use my nüvi as a USB GPS for MS Streets, but my eTrex works just fine for that. Though, I haven't meesed with that since getting my nüvi. I miss the big 15" screen though!!

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Great ! Thanks.

Works exactly as described on my nuvi 250W

--
GARMIN nuvi 760 sites.google.com/site/lschwabe/

please dumb down the directions

gdfaini wrote:

If I then slide the power switch to lock before "safely removing the USB mass storage device" it goes into normal operating mode rather than turning off and I can use it while it is connected and charging (after sliding the power switch back).

If I turn it off, it says "Charging Battery"

If I turn it back on, it stays in normal operating mode.

It won't go back into mass storage device mode again until I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in.

I have repeated this several times to verify that it was not a fluke.

I have a 260 and still a little confused on the steps.

What do you mean by "safely removing the USB mass storage device"

I tried closing the mass storage device on the PC and it didn't work for me.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Got most of it

H Hannah wrote:

1. Turn on Nuvi750 (wait til main page comes up)
2. Press and hold Battery Charge Icon ( It will
go into Diagnostic Mode)
3. Using USB cable plug into PC
4. Press EXIT on Diagnostic screen.
5. WAIT - PC will find NEW HARDWARE and build it.
6. Now you should be Connected!

H Hannah
Nuvi750 -Ique3600

Everything but the PC building as a USB connection. Just went into NAV mode.

--
Glenn - Southern MD; SP C330 / Nuvi 750 / Nuvi 265WT

What gdfaini meant

flaco, what he meant is that after you slide to the right the power switch, if you click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the system tray, you get the option to "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device ...", once you select that, the Garmin turns all the way on.

I would expect that doing the "Safely remove ..." from the system tray, should be exactly the same as the closing the mass storage device you are doing, but just in case, try doing it from the system tray.

More likely is that it only works on certain models.

--
GARMIN nuvi 760 sites.google.com/site/lschwabe/

It works!

LSchwabe wrote:

flaco, what he meant is that after you slide to the right the power switch, if you click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the system tray, you get the option to "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device ...", once you select that, the Garmin turns all the way on.

I would expect that doing the "Safely remove ..." from the system tray, should be exactly the same as the closing the mass storage device you are doing, but just in case, try doing it from the system tray.

More likely is that it only works on certain models.

Got it, had to remove from system tray, closing the device window was not it, it also works perfect on the 260.

The only thing missing is the battery status, the signal strenght is OK

LSchwabe Thanks for making it clear.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

With all this trying to

With all this trying to manipulate the GPS to work and charge at the same time using the USB connected to the computer seems like an awful lot of time and the possibility of screwing up the GPS. For $19.99 you can buy the AC adapter that will allow you to charge and use the unit at the same time plus have a means to charge when you are away from home if you wanted to. Garmin number 010-10723-00.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

battery status

After running a 2 hour simulation of the USB even with the battery status not showing the battery was kept charged for the two hours the simulation ran.

No need to spend $19.99 for an A/C adapter, but whatever floats your boat, if you got the cash to blow send it to Garmin.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Garmin 750 in Nav Mode with PC

farrissr wrote:

I believe you but it doesn't work on a 750.

Yes it does work as GDFAINI states on a Nuvi 750.

I know I summited a going to the Diagnostic state method ( This works too). But then I did try GDFAINI's method later with my 750 and IT WORKED.!!!

Method as stated
1. USB Cable &%) to PC and wait for 750 to go into
mass storage mode.
2. Slide Power Switch to the right (LOCK Position)
3. Click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in system
Tray on PV ((Lower Right)
4. Clich on "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device -
Drives(x:)" x = mass storage for the 750 not the
SD card
5. WAIT for 750 to Boot UP.
6. After 750 Boots UP slide power switch to center
position
7 WAAALAAAAAA ITS IN NAVIGATION MODE

H Hannah
Nuvi750 and IQUE3600

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600

battery status

Might be great as long as you are at a computer....when your away and no access to a computer you can charge and work on the unit with the AC adapter at the same time. It doesn't sound to me reading all the posts at the POI Factory 20 bucks would be a hardship on anyone to have this flexiblity.

My comment was mearly stating a means to do everything without all the special antics required and the possibility of damaging the unit....

By the way my boat is floating very well...Thanks

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

By the way I forgot to

By the way I forgot to mention I tried it on my 750 the exact way you stated and it never booted up after removing the device...What can I say....tried several times....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

I Agree

farrissr wrote:

Might be great as long as you are at a computer....when your away and no access to a computer you can charge and work on the unit with the AC adapter at the same time. It doesn't sound to me reading all the posts at the POI Factory 20 bucks would be a hardship on anyone to have this flexiblity.

My comment was mearly stating a means to do everything without all the special antics required and the possibility of damaging the unit....

By the way my boat is floating very well...Thanks

I'm one of those types of people who like to figure out how to get something to work differently than it was designed to do – it really is great fun! But I found the laptop charging method pretty inconvenient. It would have been nice on a couple of occasions to have it charge while in nav mode, but nothing on-going. So I bought the AC Adapter for $16 - pretty cheap (bought it on Amazon along with other stuff I wanted so shipping was free). My guess is that if $16 is breaking the bank, you probably wouldn't have bought this kind of toy in the first place. But arguing the practicality of the adapter vs. PC charging doesn't address the fun-factor... which I completely understand!

--
--- GPSmap 60CS, Nuvi 650 & Nuvi 1490T---

Charging with the AC adaptor

I agree it is easier to just plug you nuvi into a wall output adaptor and have it work.

But when I travel i would have to take seperate AC adaptors one for my cell phone and a different one for my Garmin.

If I use the Diagnostic Mode workaround (Which does not cause problems if you don't push any other buttons except EXIT)then all I need is 1 adaptor.

H Hannah
Nuvi750

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600

Success!!!

Followed H Hannah's 7-step directions and successfully reached step seven status. Thanks for the input gdfaini.

AC Adapter price drop?

I got an AC charger for Christmas. Used it on the cruise ship. They must have dropped in price a lot because It was $70 from Amazon.com.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

It works....

gdfaini wrote:

I know this has been discussed at length, but I don't remember anyone posting this solution.

When I connect my nüvi 2x0 to the computer it goes into mass storage mode.

If I then slide the power switch to lock before "safely removing the USB mass storage device" it goes into normal operating mode rather than turning off and I can use it while it is connected and charging (after sliding the power switch back).

If I turn it off, it says "Charging Battery"

If I turn it back on, it stays in normal operating mode.

It won't go back into mass storage device mode again until I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in.

I have repeated this several times to verify that it was not a fluke.

It works for my nuvi 260 too. Maybe it's limited to the units with an MTK GPS chip?

BTW, I also have the AC adapter... nice thing about that is if you travel, it has the converter and plug adapters for other country's power sources.

--
Rick - Nüvi 260 - eTrex Summit HC

Incompatible with Garmin Lock ?

H Hannah wrote:

Yes it does work as GDFAINI states on a Nuvi 750.

Method as stated
1. USB Cable &%) to PC and wait for 750 to go into
mass storage mode.
2. Slide Power Switch to the right (LOCK Position)
3. Click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in system
Tray on PV ((Lower Right)
4. Clich on "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device -
Drives(x:)" x = mass storage for the 750 not the
SD card
5. WAIT for 750 to Boot UP.
6. After 750 Boots UP slide power switch to center
position
7 WAAALAAAAAA ITS IN NAVIGATION MODE

I tried this with my new Nüvi 760 and it works, with the caveat, that I had to disable the Garmin Lock. Otherwise, it prompts for the PIN and you have to slide the switch back to enter it (which stops it working).

The "connecting in Diagnostic mode" is interesting on the 760. I expected it work like the StreetPilot C5xx, but it appears to hang during the reboot. I say appears, because it is actually alive and outputting positional data. I can read this with gpsbabel, but not NRoute. Odd!

--
------------------------ Phil Hornby, Stockport, England ----------------------               http://GeePeeEx.com - Garmin POI Creation made easy           »      

NUVI 200

It will work.

1st - Turn off security settings
2nd - Slide screen lock to "On"
3rd - Go into Windows Explorer and "right click" eject

That's all there is to it and now the Nuvi 200 operates as it does in you automobile.

Easier Way

You do know there is a easier and simpler way instead of going through all those steps above.
That vehicle suction cup mount that no one seems to use. rolleyes This is where you use it. grin Plug that plastic piece (from the suction adapter) into the back side of your nuvi. Plug the usb cable into the back of the that and to your computer. You now have computer power without mass storage!

The back port is for power, the side port is really usb mass storage.

Easy Way

The easiest way is to buy the Garmin AC adapter then you can charge and use the unit anywhere there is a plug (including out of the country)...For $20 after investing in a GPS why not do it the right way with the equip that is recommended. Why would anyone want to take a chance and screw up the unit by trying to get around doing it the right way. As I stated before this is great (I guess) if you are near a computer and want to take that chance.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

I'm not sure I understand your eMail.

PaulATL wrote:

You do know there is a easier and simpler way instead of going through all those steps above.
That vehicle suction cup mount that no one seems to use. rolleyes This is where you use it. grin Plug that plastic piece (from the suction adapter) into the back side of your nuvi. Plug the usb cable into the back of the that and to your computer. You now have computer power without mass storage!

The back port is for power, the side port is really usb mass storage.

I'm not sure I understand your eMail. I use my suction cup mount, but it is just a mount that clips to the nüvi. There are no connections.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Nüvi 3xx

PaulATL wrote:

The back port is for power, the side port is really usb mass storage.

That applies to the Nüvi 3xx series...
...although, if you plug a real usb connector in the back port, it tries to draw up to an amp from it (which it can't), which makes the voltage drop out of spec - and it then says "Battery Charging Complete" (when it's not even been attempted sad )

The Nüvi 7xx series battery diagnostic page show the maximum current it will try to draw from the attached power supply. I'm not convinced it's correct though - it doesn't seem to charge at all from USB (but still experimenting)

--
------------------------ Phil Hornby, Stockport, England ----------------------               http://GeePeeEx.com - Garmin POI Creation made easy           »      

Power?

Hornbyp wrote:
PaulATL wrote:

The back port is for power, the side port is really usb mass storage.

That applies to the Nüvi 3xx series...
...although, if you plug a real usb connector in the back port, it tries to draw up to an amp from it (which it can't), which makes the voltage drop out of spec - and it then says "Battery Charging Complete" (when it's not even been attempted sad )

The Nüvi 7xx series battery diagnostic page show the maximum current it will try to draw from the attached power supply. I'm not convinced it's correct though - it doesn't seem to charge at all from USB (but still experimenting)

I only have a 350 so I know this will power it. If you wanted to "charge" the unit then you connect it to the usb then turn the unit off and it goes into charge mode. I also have to turn it off when I use an AC adaptor so I'm not sure why we are trying to power the unit just through a computer?

Using the Nuvi 350 while plugged into a PC

1. Connect the Nuvi 350 to your PC via a USB cable plugged into the side of the unit.

2. Right click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the lower right of the computer screen, select your Nuvi device and click "stop" to safely remove it.

3. Unplug the cable from the Nuvi 350, and the instant it starts to reboot, plug the cable back in.

You can now use the navigation features of the unit AND it will charge.

A version of this works on a c550

justrob wrote:

1. Connect the Nuvi 350 to your PC via a USB cable plugged into the side of the unit.

2. Right click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the lower right of the computer screen, select your Nuvi device and click "stop" to safely remove it.

3. Unplug the cable from the Nuvi 350, and the instant it starts to reboot, plug the cable back in.

You can now use the navigation features of the unit AND it will charge.

I took a couple of tries but I discover that after I clicked on my c550 in the safely remove hardware screen, I immediately removed the usb cable and plugged back in, the unit then rebooted in the use mode.. When I remove the cable then it asks if I want to continue on battery power...

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Now I have to ask my self why...

I want to use my gps while I'm using my computer. So I can check where I am ocassionaly? wink

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Ask and you shall receive!

I leave my 350 plugged into my computer in use mode for two main reasons:

First so it will be charged whenever I take off on a GPS required adventure, and second so that when I do grab it and dash out the door, or want to fiddle with it in my home, it is already booted up and has acquired satellites.

That's just me... I'm definitely a grab & go kind of guy. There are times when the 60-90 boot-up and acquisition time period annoy me!

Doesn't work with the Garmin Lock enabled

gdfaini wrote:

I know this has been discussed at length, but I don't remember anyone posting this solution.

When I connect my nüvi 2x0 to the computer it goes into mass storage mode.

If I then slide the power switch to lock before "safely removing the USB mass storage device" it goes into normal operating mode rather than turning off and I can use it while it is connected and charging (after sliding the power switch back).

If I turn it off, it says "Charging Battery"

If I turn it back on, it stays in normal operating mode.

It won't go back into mass storage device mode again until I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in.

I have repeated this several times to verify that it was not a fluke.

This works great - UNLESS you have the Garmin lock enabled. If you have the lock enabled then you have to unlock the screen to put in your PIN and that makes the unit go right back into mass storage mode! I found this out the hard way. Fortunately, you can just disable the lock feature while you use the GPS in this manner and then turn the lock back on when you are finished.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Worked just fine on My

Worked just fine on My grin c550

--
2597 Sometimes I wonder..."Why is that Frisbee getting bigger?"...and then, it hits me.

watch where you press the screen

H Hannah wrote:

1. Turn on Nuvi750 (wait til main page comes up)
2. Press and hold Battery Charge Icon ( It will
go into Diagnostic Mode)
3. Using USB cable plug into PC
4. Press EXIT on Diagnostic screen.
5. WAIT - PC will find NEW HARDWARE and build it.
6. Now you should be Connected!

H Hannah
Nuvi750 -Ique3600

My experience is that this works, but you have to be very careful where your finger goes. If you press in the wrong place, you well see the "View Map" (on a 260W) highlighted, and then it won't work. You have to press up high, and maybe try a couple of times to get into diag mode.
I will try the power off method soon.

--
mikelanz -- Garmin nuvi 260W

Try a blackberry AC USB charger....

My blackberry (USB cord) AC charger works on my Nuvi 760, my Garmin Forerunner 305, and of course my blackberry...so if I'm not lugging a computer, I can keep all three devices charged up as needed with one cord and one AC charger. YMMV.

--
Nuvi 760 (died 6/2013); Forerunner 305 bike/run; Inreach SE; MotionX Drive (iPhone)

iPod Charger works too

I am able to charge my 260W using an AC iPod charger using a variant of H Hannah's instructions. By first going to the Diagnostic mode, next attaching the iPod charger via a USB cord, then exiting the Diagnostic mode, I can use the Nuvi in normal mode. If I turn the Nuvi off, it continues to charge the GPS battery.

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone X, Mazda MX-5 Nav

Why I use this method....

This works great for my purpose. I use it as a heads up display while drive testing our network. All my 12V power ports are used to power all my drive test gear, but I do have one free usb port on my laptop. I need the Nuvi powered for up to 9 hours a day, and the battery doesn't even come close to powering it for half a day.
This method allows me to run it all day instead of turning it off and on all day to try and stretch the battery life.

this helped me, im from NY,

this helped me, im from NY, went to cali for vacation, i left the car dock at home, so with no charge my nuvi died. I luckily had my usb cable. the car i rented had a built in usb port for ipods, i used it to charge, but then i couldnt navigate, but this trick i was able to do both, saved me BIG time.

i didnt read this post, but so frustrated and playing around i forgot, but i did something with the slider switch in lock to get it to come on. I have a 760, so it does work that way. for a 760

AC Charger

When you spend the money for a GPS and want an AC charger why not get the charger the manufacturer recommends? All that fooling around can only lead to potential problems. Why take a chance of screwing up a $300-$400 or $500 piece of equipment to save 20 bucks. Doesn't make sense to me....

Of course this is my personal opinion but to each his or her own...

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Fooling Around?

The nuvi is designed to be charged from the USB port. No fooling around required. Damage shouldn't be possible.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

i was using the usb cable

i was using the usb cable that came with the garmin. anytime i plugged it in it went into the link mode, but i needed to see maps while it was charging from the usb, i didnt crack it open, just tried turning it on then plugging it in, so on till i found out it works when it was locked, no harm..no hacking lol.

Best with AC Adapter

farrissr wrote:

When you spend the money for a GPS and want an AC charger why not get the charger the manufacturer recommends? All that fooling around can only lead to potential problems. Why take a chance of screwing up a $300-$400 or $500 piece of equipment to save 20 bucks. Doesn't make sense to me....

Of course this is my personal opinion but to each his or her own...

I agree.

--
No matter where you are "Life is Worth Living".

110 to 12 volt cig plug adaptor

H Hannah wrote:

I agree it is easier to just plug you nuvi into a wall output adaptor and have it work.

But when I travel i would have to take seperate AC adaptors one for my cell phone and a different one for my Garmin.

If I use the Diagnostic Mode workaround (Which does not cause problems if you don't push any other buttons except EXIT)then all I need is 1 adaptor.

H Hannah
Nuvi750

Of course I have the 12volt cords which I plug into my car cig lighter, one for the Blackberry and one for the Nuvi 880. But with all the cords I have to carry around I forget which is which sometimes. So especially when I am on the road and stop in a motel, I have this sweet little 110 power adaptor which lets me plug in the end of the cig lighter cable indoors. In fact, I useit to power on the Garmin suction-mounted to the window beside my computer desk. Since the MSN Direct antenna is built into that 12volt cord, I am keeping it updated as well. (And the Garmin on satellite page makes a nice nitelight also.)

The adaptor cost about $5 bucks from a cell phone accessories company online. VERY satisfied with it, because I can drop it into my purse and keep all that mess of black spaghetti stowed in the car.

--
"Making tracks..." {:)-<=| Nuvi 880

205

H Hannah wrote:

1. Turn on Nuvi750 (wait til main page comes up)
2. Press and hold Battery Charge Icon ( It will
go into Diagnostic Mode)
3. Using USB cable plug into PC
4. Press EXIT on Diagnostic screen.
5. WAIT - PC will find NEW HARDWARE and build it.
6. Now you should be Connected!

On the Nuvi 205, it works but disables the satelites (kinda) The unit can still detect them (IE "where am I") but the unit refuses to offer directions. IE "GPS is off"

Page 1>>