new & interesting places for your GPS

Garmin and POI files question

 

Can the Garmin NUVI units (like the Nuvi 650) load and open multiple POI files at the same time?

I am thinking of getting a 650, mostly to get enhanced POI capability, which it seems is missing from my current Magellan 2200T unit. Well, not missing, but limited. Too limited for me!

Also, can you put POI files on an SD card, stick that in the Garmin units and can it load them from there? As far as I can tell the Magellan unit cannot (I had to load it through USB, kind of inconvenient).

Can the Garmins see POI files on an SD card?

Save it on the computer

I usually save them on the desktop. Or you can create a folder named POI and save the files there.
Then use the POI Loader program from Garmin and update.
I think when you upload, it wipes out previous contents on the POI folder on the Garmin. Have not tried the SD route. But why bother?

Why bother?

Quote:

Have not tried the SD route. But why bother?

Why bother loading POI files to an SD card and sticking that in the GPS? Much more convenient. It's no wonder 95% of digital camera users never ever use the goofy software and cable that came with their camera, they use the memory card in a memory card reader.

And then you can have a card with POI files for different trips, areas, etc. I would make a whole file for a trip to Hawaii, and leave it on a card to pop in. If that works with Garmin that is, I have not determined it works on my Magellan 2200T, at least so far.

I haven't yet had a definite answer as to whether POI files are loadable in a newer Garmin from the SD card. Which is what I was trying to find out originally.

Steevo wrote: Can the

Steevo wrote:

Can the Garmin NUVI units (like the Nuvi 650) load and open multiple POI files at the same time?

I am thinking of getting a 650, mostly to get enhanced POI capability, which it seems is missing from my current Magellan 2200T unit. Well, not missing, but limited. Too limited for me!

Also, can you put POI files on an SD card, stick that in the Garmin units and can it load them from there? As far as I can tell the Magellan unit cannot (I had to load it through USB, kind of inconvenient).

Can the Garmins see POI files on an SD card?

What a lot of do is load each POI category separate, that way, it doesnt over write each time you load a new one.

Yes, you can put POIs on the SD card with the nuvis, but not with the C3xx streetpilots.

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

Steevo wrote: Can the

Steevo wrote:

Can the Garmin NUVI units (like the Nuvi 650) load and open multiple POI files at the same time?

Yes You click on Custom Pois then the top choice is All Categories, It will use all your custom pois.

Multiple POI files open at the same time.

Then I am going to get one. The limitations of my current magellan unit are ridiculous.

That and the fact that Magellan has up till now failed to ever release any database updates. I understand from discussions with them they now plan to release such updates. Too little too late.

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 15 users and 61 guests online.

Online users

  • rich9871
  • rprira
  • wjlederer
  • mixycronico
  • dobs108
  • shrink
  • Cookemunster
  • zadmi
  • mebrewtoxic
  • wombat38