short freeze ups Garmin DriveSmart 61

 

I have a Garmin DriveSmart 61. On this GPS when you are using the touchscreen what you touch is highlighted in orange for a couple seconds (see the photos at the links below) then it completes the task.

When I touch a command now it tends to freeze, what used to be a couple seconds can be a minute or more now. It used to be once in a while, but now it's more frequent.

Anyone experience this, or know what the problem is and a fix would be?

https://i.postimg.cc/N0ytZ1vY/20210614-063003.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/YSJ77htF/20210614-064649.jpg

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

No one?

Anyone know about this problem and/or what to do?

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Soft reset or software update maybe

The Garmin website recommends a soft reset and if that doesn’t work a software update. Is the device current on software?

--
John from PA

yes

John from PA wrote:

The Garmin website recommends a soft reset and if that doesn’t work a software update. Is the device current on software?

Everything is current except for a time zone thing on the other side of the world that GE keeps offering.

I forget how to do a soft reset, have a link? Will that erase my breadcrumbs and saved places?

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Just press and hold the off

Just press and hold the off button until it restarts. You shouldn't lose anything.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Sounds like I misunderstood something

phranc wrote:

Just press and hold the off button until it restarts. You shouldn't lose anything.

On my DriveSmart 51LMT-S (the exact same device with a smaller screen?) if I hold the on/off button and then choose 'off' it doesn't restart: it goes off.

Sounds like I misunderstood something.

Yes, I said HOLD the OFF

Yes, I said HOLD the OFF button until it RESTARTS. DON'T LET GO until you see the words Garmin on the screen.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

HOLD

phranc wrote:

Yes, I said HOLD the OFF button until it RESTARTS. DON'T LET GO until you see the words Garmin on the screen.

Thanks for the repeat with the upper case HOLD.

Sorry I forgot to report

Sorry I forgot to report back on this, the soft reset did not stop the 30 second or so freeze ups and I haven't found an answer surfing the web so far.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

.

John from PA wrote:

The Garmin website recommends a soft reset and if that doesn’t work a software update. Is the device current on software?

I updated to map 2022.20 today and there was also a software update for time zone stuff, I ok'd both but the short freeze ups are still there.

There is no pattern to when it happens, sometimes it's the first thing I tap, others I can tap through a few screens before it happens.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Hard reset?

soberbyker wrote:

Sorry I forgot to report back on this, the soft reset did not stop the 30 second or so freeze ups and I haven't found an answer surfing the web so far.

Have you tried a hard reset?

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

no

CraigW wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

Sorry I forgot to report back on this, the soft reset did not stop the 30 second or so freeze ups and I haven't found an answer surfing the web so far.

Have you tried a hard reset?

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

No, I have not, don't want to lose my saved places. I guess I may have to write them all down and go that route if I can't find another fix short of that.

I haven't spent a great deal of time looking online and other forums for an answer. It's annoying for sure but no so much I can't use it.

Thanks for the help.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

You can save your Saved places

soberbyker wrote:
CraigW wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

Sorry I forgot to report back on this, the soft reset did not stop the 30 second or so freeze ups and I haven't found an answer surfing the web so far.

Have you tried a hard reset?

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

No, I have not, don't want to lose my saved places. I guess I may have to write them all down and go that route if I can't find another fix short of that.

I haven't spent a great deal of time looking online and other forums for an answer. It's annoying for sure but no so much I can't use it.

Thanks for the help.

Garmin Express lets you save and restore and even transfer Favorites (Saved Places) and it can also be done by saving a file manually. As long as you save your Favorites, you can do a hard reset, then restore them.

Slightly different for DS61

CraigW wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

Sorry I forgot to report back on this, the soft reset did not stop the 30 second or so freeze ups and I haven't found an answer surfing the web so far.

Have you tried a hard reset?

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

Craig, the process for a hard reset for a DriveSmart 51/61/7 is slightly different than those outlined at your link. This quick video shows the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGr16CTYwa0

Also for a soft restore you can do this:

settings>device> 3 lines top left>restore>restore the settings to the default values?>yes

Then there is a couple more questions about device data and saving travel history.

I just did the hard reset this morning and do not know if it corrected my problem yet. Since it didn't always happen it may be awhile before I can report it has been fixed ... or not.

By the way, I did use GE to backup and restore my favorite/saved places.

Thanks for your help.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Good luck

I have my fingers crossed for you, soberbyker! cool

It sounds like the hard reset FAQ needs to be updated. I'm glad you found the procedure for your DriveSmart.

one

CraigW wrote:

I have my fingers crossed for you, soberbyker! cool

It sounds like the hard reset FAQ needs to be updated. I'm glad you found the procedure for your DriveSmart.

Well, had one shorter than usual freeze up this morning. I think it may be bluetooth related because it happened right after I connected my Galaxy S10 to it via the Smartphone-Link for traffic.

I'll have to test that theory afew times though when I have time.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Just wondering if it's heat related

My Garmin DriveSmart tends to exhibit the freezing problem when the temp exceeds 90ºF. During the summer months, I move my GPS to be in front of one of the A/C vents and completely remove the device when I'm parked outside.

--
Emma

no

Hawkthree wrote:

My Garmin DriveSmart tends to exhibit the freezing problem when the temp exceeds 90ºF. During the summer months, I move my GPS to be in front of one of the A/C vents and completely remove the device when I'm parked outside.

Not in this case, it's early in the morning, still somewhat cool. I use it as a rolling map more than a thing to help me get to somewhere at work. When setting it up in the morning tapping "agree" or "view map" it will happen. If I do happen to be entering an address it does it then too, not every tap, but every now and then it will. Even in the winter. Sometimes not at all. I don't leave it in the truck I bring it with me each day.

Thanks for the thought.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Sounds more and more like a

Sounds more and more like a touchscreen and it's associated circuit problem.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.