Smartphone Based Weather

 

When I display the weather on my DriveSmart 51LMT-S using the Smartphone app I occasionally get local weather. Most of the time I get some North Conway weather. Google maps has only one North Conway, in NH, that is ~1,800 miles from home. The GPS says that it is 30° and the Weather Service says 48° so I am doubly puzzled. I hardly think that the Garmin or phone GPSs might have some errors to cause this.

This isn’t a compelling issue but I am curious. Is there something I’ve missed?

try repairing

Try repairing your phone and GPS. You could also have other bluetooth devices running and causing some interference.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Neither The Phone Or GPS Has Independant Symptoms Of A Problem

Box Car wrote:

Try repairing your phone and GPS. You could also have other bluetooth devices running and causing some interference.

Well, the phone has no symptoms calling for a repair that I am aware of. Likewise the GPS. (Presuming that bluetooth uses CRC checking or the like) a data error that consistently points to North Conway seems far fetched to me.

I seldom use the feature and actually have only used it out of curiosity. Occasionally is gets weather from the Air Force Academy which makes sense.

Perhaps I didn't understand what you were saying...

I think you misunderstood

minke wrote:
Box Car wrote:

Try repairing your phone and GPS. You could also have other bluetooth devices running and causing some interference.

Well, the phone has no symptoms calling for a repair that I am aware of. Likewise the GPS. (Presuming that bluetooth uses CRC checking or the like) a data error that consistently points to North Conway seems far fetched to me.

I seldom use the feature and actually have only used it out of curiosity. Occasionally is gets weather from the Air Force Academy which makes sense.

Perhaps I didn't understand what you were saying...

I think you didn't grasp the nuance between Box Car's "repairing" and the word "re-pairing."

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Same Issue

I've noticed this issue as well on my 3597 using Smartphone link. It doesn't occur often enough for me to take the time to investigate.

The last time it happened, I was in northern New Hampshire and got a "gale warning" notification for southern New Jersey.

I normally use other weather apps and don't rely on Smartphone Link.

Un-pairing and Re-pairing is Easy

plunder wrote:
minke wrote:
Box Car wrote:

Try repairing your phone and GPS. You could also have other bluetooth devices running and causing some interference.

Well, the phone has no symptoms calling for a repair that I am aware of. Likewise the GPS. (Presuming that bluetooth uses CRC checking or the like) a data error that consistently points to North Conway seems far fetched to me.

I seldom use the feature and actually have only used it out of curiosity. Occasionally is gets weather from the Air Force Academy which makes sense.

Perhaps I didn't understand what you were saying...

I think you didn't grasp the nuance between Box Car's "repairing" and the word "re-pairing."

Phil

That was an OK joke and thanks, I didn’t get it. I don’t believe that 1) BT error checking would let an error like that thru, and 2) that it would be the same error again and again. It smells like an application bug to me.

OTOH un-pairing and re-pairing is easy. Next time I go out to the truck I’ll do it.

Un-pairing and Re-pairing

Un-pairing and re-pairing did not help. Thanks for trying.

"special case"

Garmin support has accepted this for some "special case" evaluation with no promise of a result. Maybe they mean it and maybe they just wanted to get rid of me.

Don't need a "Dumb phone"

for the weather, radio stations tell you frequently as do TV stations!!
Believe it or not there are actually Special Weather TV stations!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.