Garmin Express v4.1.28.0

 

Garmin Express has been updated to 4.1.28.0 today. However, I couldn't find the change log for the update. I did noticed there is a new tab called "Purchased" where you can see items you purchased in the past and option to renew them if they are subscriptions.

Yikes

Take note. There are changes! Does this mean with this new GE that adding the additional voices only can be done now through myGarmin? Will this new GE know which devices are and are not compatible with the North American safety camera subscription?

PC:
• Introduced new feature: users can now purchase, renew, and download safety camera subscriptions from within Garmin Express.
• Improved System Tray / Action Center messaging.
• Updated anonymous data collection privacy policy messaging.
• Removed Vehicles and Voices.
• Removed the ability to “retire” or “remove” devices from Garmin Connect when removing them from Garmin Express.

Mac:
• Introduced new feature: users can now purchase, renew, and download safety camera subscriptions from within Garmin Express.
• Improved Notification Center messaging.
• Updated anonymous data collection privacy policy messaging.
• Removed Vehicles and Voices.
• Removed the ability to “retire” or “remove” devices from Garmin Connect when removing them from Garmin Express.
• Fixed an issue with incorrect text displaying after installing a map update to an SD card.
• Fixed an issue with Express not detecting an SD card in a number of devices.

Nope ...

Vehicles and voices are still there ... what's been removed is the 'Garmin garage' ...

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

That's ok

sussamb wrote:

Vehicles and voices are still there ... what's been removed is the 'Garmin garage' ...

I couldn't ever find anything in there anyway.

No oil, or filters, no useful wrenches (or spanners as some say it.)

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Maybe.

Just maybe, this means we are getting close to a map update.

Nothing Stays the Same

Not even Garmin Express stays the same.

--
romanviking

Whew! Thanks.

sussamb wrote:

Vehicles and voices are still there ... what's been removed is the 'Garmin garage' ...

Whew, so Garmin's "Removed Vehicles and Voices" is too general a statement. That's good. If removed, I've have some FAQ-revisions to do. I like that new voices can still be added through either Garmin Express or myGarmin.

I did update to .28.0 and confirmed your finding.

no vehicles and voices

"Feature Not Available

Vehicles & voices is no longer available.

You can keep any vehicles and voices on your device but won't be able to use Express to install new ones or remove them."

Some vehicles are available under Tools > Other Files. No extra voices other than the standard language voices are found.

Vehicles and voices?

CraigW wrote:
sussamb wrote:

Vehicles and voices are still there ... what's been removed is the 'Garmin garage' ...

Whew, so Garmin's "Removed Vehicles and Voices" is too general a statement. That's good. If removed, I've have some FAQ-revisions to do. I like that new voices can still be added through either Garmin Express or myGarmin.

I did update to .28.0 and confirmed your finding.

Can you download voices through myGarmin? or did you mean WebUpdater?

It appears to me that what Garmin has completely removed are the add-on themed voice/vehicle packages, some of which you had to pay for. As sussamb said, these used to be listed under "Garmin Garage". I always thought those items were pretty cheezy anyway as they didn't support TTS.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Voices

alandb wrote:

Can you download voices through myGarmin? or did you mean WebUpdater?

I looked at myGarmin and it does say that voices can be added. I didn't look into it or connect my nuvi since my nuvis all have the full allotment of Garmin voices, TTS(3) and non-TTS, but not including any of the free/paid 'cheezy' voices:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42708

I think others have also stated that the individual voices can be chosen and installed to a device through myGarmin although I've not checked that either.

Regarding WebUpdater, I think it's been shown that many/all of the newer Garmin devices (unlike what was done with older nuvis) are not offered new voices through WebUpdater but will be offered updates to existing voices on the device when available. Therefore my thought is that Garmin Express and myGarmin are the two methods to add the extra TTS (like Karen) and non-TTS (like Michelle) voices to a device. The updates are offered in a different way using these two methods: Garmin Express only offers to install all available English language voices, over 500MB(!) while I believe but haven't tested that myGarmin allows the user to select individual voices to download and install.

My FAQ above, reflects these thoughts. If I'm mistaken, please let me know so I can correct the FAQ. This discussion and the FAQ all refer to the additional standard good (not cheezy) voices and do not include any of the 'entertaining' Garmin or nonGarmin voices offered, all of which do not offer TTS.

Thanks for the laugh

BarneyBadass wrote:
sussamb wrote:

Vehicles and voices are still there ... what's been removed is the 'Garmin garage' ...

I couldn't ever find anything in there anyway.

No oil, or filters, no useful wrenches (or spanners as some say it.)

Now that's funny!

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

Interesting ...

When I click on the myExtras tab of my.garmin.com, all I get is an essentially blank page with a message "Downloads There are currently no downloads available for this account." I don't see any link where I can download voices. I must be looking in the wrong place.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

...

Thanks for the info!

--
Michael (Nuvi 2639LMT)

Same

alandb wrote:

When I click on the myExtras tab of my.garmin.com, all I get is an essentially blank page with a message "Downloads There are currently no downloads available for this account." I don't see any link where I can download voices. I must be looking in the wrong place.

Same here - clicked myExtras and then Downloads link and got a blank page the reads:

There are currently no downloads available for this account.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Thanks for the update info.

Thanks for the update info.

--
an94

Hmm

t923347 wrote:
alandb wrote:

When I click on the myExtras tab of my.garmin.com, all I get is an essentially blank page with a message "Downloads There are currently no downloads available for this account." I don't see any link where I can download voices. I must be looking in the wrong place.

Same here - clicked myExtras and then Downloads link and got a blank page the reads:

There are currently no downloads available for this account.

OK, I see the same thing when logged in, with and without a connected nuvi. But on the login page, I see "• Download vehicles, voices, safety camera updates and more." Could it be that voice downloads are offered only if your device is missing one or more? With a nuvi 3597, all available voices are:

Serena, 2.10, 9/29/14 (also offers Real Voice)
Samantha, 2.30, 6/29/16 (also offers Real Voice)
Daniel, 2.10, 9/29/14
Jack, 2.30, 6/29/16
Lee, 2.10, 9/29/14
Karen,2.10, 9/29/14
Sangeeta, 2.10, 9/29/14

The devices that use TTS3 voices also offer the non-text-to-speech voices Michelle, Matilda, James and Kate described earlier.

Do both of you have all voices already installed as I do? If so, maybe we need someone who doesn't have the added voices installed to check myGarmin and see what they find. I'm pretty sure that in the past, someone said myGarmin offered these voices and you could select one, many, or all of them for download and installation through myGarmin. The bullet point on the login page also suggests this.

On the other hand, maybe it's been removed and the bullet point should be removed from myGarmin's login page. If so, then the only way to add these voices would be to use Garmin Express and download all English language voices in one swell foop.

Before altering my FAQ, I'll wait and watch this thread to see if folks without added voices find that they can find and add them through myGarmin.

It would also be helpful if folks who have written about using myGarmin to install voices would pipe in, and if folks with newer Garmin devices could confirm whether or not WebUpdater offers to install the voices as I remember reading and experiencing in the past.

Ugh. sad

Just ...

... checked WebUpdater, it still offers voices, at least for my 2508. Like others myGarmin says 'no downloads available'.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

I Only

CraigW wrote:
t923347 wrote:
alandb wrote:

When I click on the myExtras tab of my.garmin.com, all I get is an essentially blank page with a message "Downloads There are currently no downloads available for this account." I don't see any link where I can download voices. I must be looking in the wrong place.

Same here - clicked myExtras and then Downloads link and got a blank page the reads:

There are currently no downloads available for this account.

OK, I see the same thing when logged in, with and without a connected nuvi. But on the login page, I see "• Download vehicles, voices, safety camera updates and more." Could it be that voice downloads are offered only if your device is missing one or more? With a nuvi 3597, all available voices are:

Serena, 2.10, 9/29/14 (also offers Real Voice)
Samantha, 2.30, 6/29/16 (also offers Real Voice)
Daniel, 2.10, 9/29/14
Jack, 2.30, 6/29/16
Lee, 2.10, 9/29/14
Karen,2.10, 9/29/14
Sangeeta, 2.10, 9/29/14

The devices that use TTS3 voices also offer the non-text-to-speech voices Michelle, Matilda, James and Kate described earlier.

Do both of you have all voices already installed as I do? If so, maybe we need someone who doesn't have the added voices installed to check myGarmin and see what they find. I'm pretty sure that in the past, someone said myGarmin offered these voices and you could select one, many, or all of them for download and installation through myGarmin. The bullet point on the login page also suggests this.

On the other hand, maybe it's been removed and the bullet point should be removed from myGarmin's login page. If so, then the only way to add these voices would be to use Garmin Express and download all English language voices in one swell foop.

Before altering my FAQ, I'll wait and watch this thread to see if folks without added voices find that they can find and add them through myGarmin.

It would also be helpful if folks who have written about using myGarmin to install voices would pipe in, and if folks with newer Garmin devices could confirm whether or not WebUpdater offers to install the voices as I remember reading and experiencing in the past.

Ugh. sad

I only have Jack, Samantha and the default (if I remember correctly) Michelle installed on my 3597. I checked some postings I made on other websites a few years ago and can confirm that at one point I have added TTS3 voices to my 3597 using myGarmin and WebUpdater. Where they are available now I can't confirm as I've been using American English Jack for years now.

UPDATE - This discussion got me looking at whether my TTS3 voices were up to date and for the heck of it I fired up WebUpdater, which I have not used in a very long time. To my surprise there was a Voice Update for American English - Jack and American English Samantha. In addition there was a list of all the voices available that I had previously deleted from my 3597.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Info

The voices that are not available are the special non-tts voices like YETI and Halloween. The British-, Australian-, and American- voices are still available.

my.garmin.com and communicator plugin

As I recall, my.garmin.com always required the Garmin Communicator Plugin to communicate with a device for downloading anything. Since Garmin no longer supports Communicator and most modern browsers don't support plugins, I would think that downloading through my.Garmin is a thing of the past, unless Garmin has come up with a method other than Communicator.

Just for grins, I fired up my old IE 9 on Vista. Communicator successfully loaded and enabled, but my.Garmin still didn't offer anything to download ... with or without the device connected.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Nope

No love for Mac iOS 10.9.5. Stuck with 4.1.26.0.

According

sydric wrote:

No love for Mac iOS 10.9.5. Stuck with 4.1.26.0.

According to this thread it's available for the MAC:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42104?page=2

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Yep ...

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Thank You All

Thanks for the updated info.

Thanks for the heads up,

Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and updated mine.

Mac Versions

t923347:

Garmin is no longer updating GE for Mac users with 10.9.5. All subsequent GE updates are for 10.10 and above. I'm not able to upgrade to 10.10 or higher due to specific software I need to run that also tops out at 10.9.5.

version 3.2.29

My version is a whole number behind! Did I miss a whole bevy of updates?

--
“It’s their world. We’re just living in it.”

Yes

smile

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

More on adding and updating voices

t923347 wrote:
CraigW wrote:
t923347 wrote:
alandb wrote:

When I click on the myExtras tab of my.garmin.com, all I get is an essentially blank page with a message "Downloads There are currently no downloads available for this account." I don't see any link where I can download voices. I must be looking in the wrong place.

Same here - clicked myExtras and then Downloads link and got a blank page the reads:

There are currently no downloads available for this account.

OK, I see the same thing when logged in, with and without a connected nuvi. But on the login page, I see "• Download vehicles, voices, safety camera updates and more." Could it be that voice downloads are offered only if your device is missing one or more? With a nuvi 3597, all available voices are:

Serena, 2.10, 9/29/14 (also offers Real Voice)
Samantha, 2.30, 6/29/16 (also offers Real Voice)
Daniel, 2.10, 9/29/14
Jack, 2.30, 6/29/16
Lee, 2.10, 9/29/14
Karen,2.10, 9/29/14
Sangeeta, 2.10, 9/29/14

The devices that use TTS3 voices also offer the non-text-to-speech voices Michelle, Matilda, James and Kate described earlier.

Do both of you have all voices already installed as I do? If so, maybe we need someone who doesn't have the added voices installed to check myGarmin and see what they find. I'm pretty sure that in the past, someone said myGarmin offered these voices and you could select one, many, or all of them for download and installation through myGarmin. The bullet point on the login page also suggests this.

On the other hand, maybe it's been removed and the bullet point should be removed from myGarmin's login page. If so, then the only way to add these voices would be to use Garmin Express and download all English language voices in one swell foop.

Before altering my FAQ, I'll wait and watch this thread to see if folks without added voices find that they can find and add them through myGarmin.

It would also be helpful if folks who have written about using myGarmin to install voices would pipe in, and if folks with newer Garmin devices could confirm whether or not WebUpdater offers to install the voices as I remember reading and experiencing in the past.

Ugh. sad

I only have Jack, Samantha and the default (if I remember correctly) Michelle installed on my 3597. I checked some postings I made on other websites a few years ago and can confirm that at one point I have added TTS3 voices to my 3597 using myGarmin and WebUpdater. Where they are available now I can't confirm as I've been using American English Jack for years now.

UPDATE - This discussion got me looking at whether my TTS3 voices were up to date and for the heck of it I fired up WebUpdater, which I have not used in a very long time. To my surprise there was a Voice Update for American English - Jack and American English Samantha. In addition there was a list of all the voices available that I had previously deleted from my 3597.

I have changed my Voice FAQ after reading these posts and doing some experiments. Once again, the procedures have changed from what was done in the past. My findings:

1) As pointed out here and verified by me, myGarmin no longer offers new voices or voice updates.

2) With my nuvi 3597 connected to a computer, I deleted the TTS3 Lee voice. I then fired up WebUpdater to see if the Lee voice would be offered. It was not. Therefore, it appears that the only way to be sure you obtain voices beyond the 2-3 voices that now come on Garmin devices, is to use Garmin Express and add all English language voices (an over 500MB download). As others have said here, WebUpdater does offer new voices to some devices, but not all devices.

3) I also noticed, as t92 reports, that two voice updates (Jack and Samantha) were offered by WebUpdater which are not offered by Garmin Express. But contrary to t92's findings, when I deleted Lee from my 3597, WebUpdater did not offer to install Lee on my 3597 although it did with t92's 3597. I have no explanation for this at all.

My conclusions, which I've just added to my FAQ, are that to be sure you've added all possible voices to your Garmin device, one must use Garmin Express (Tools/OptionalUpdates/VoiceFiles); and for voice updates already installed voices on a device, that Garmin's WebUpdater program must be used, as Garmin Express only sometimes offers voice updates. It also appears unexplainable to me, that even for a given Garmin model (the nuvi 3597, for example) WebUpdater may or may not offer new voice installations, based on t92's response and my failure to duplicate the result.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting change log.

Change is inevitable.

Change is inevitable.

I have

CraigW wrote:

My conclusions, which I've just added to my FAQ, are that to be sure you've added all possible voices to your Garmin device, one must use Garmin Express (Tools/OptionalUpdates/VoiceFiles); and for voice updates already installed voices on a device, that Garmin's WebUpdater program must be used, as Garmin Express only sometimes offers voice updates. It also appears unexplainable to me, that even for a given Garmin model (the nuvi 3597, for example) WebUpdater may or may not offer new voice installations, based on t92's response and my failure to duplicate the result.

I have to point out that I never said I was offered LEE as an installable voice using WebUpdater. What I said was:

" In addition there was a list of all the voices available that I had previously deleted from my 3597."

That list was of all the voices for various languages that I deleted because I had no need for them. Other than those voices the list only included the 2 TTS3 voice files that I currently have on my 3597 (Samantha and Jack) and currently have updates available. To the best of my knowledge I have never had LEE installed on my device and therefore have never deleted it.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Ah

t923347 wrote:

I have to point out that I never said I was offered LEE as an installable voice using WebUpdater. What I said was:

" In addition there was a list of all the voices available that I had previously deleted from my 3597."

That list was of all the voices for various languages that I deleted because I had no need for them. Other than those voices the list only included the 2 TTS3 voice files that I currently have on my 3597 (Samantha and Jack) and currently have updates available. To the best of my knowledge I have never had LEE installed on my device and therefore have never deleted it.

Ah, the foreign voices. Thanks, that makes more sense now. I've re-revised my FAQ.

When I got back from 2nd

When I got back from 2nd vacation, I saw this post....Thanks....
Unfortunately, still no map update!

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

Don't blink

I just launched GE and it said it had yet another update (for Mac). It is now at 4.1.29.0

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

4.1.29.0

TXRVer wrote:

I just launched GE and it said it had yet another update (for Mac). It is now at 4.1.29.0

Mac:
Fixed an issue that prevented supplemental map features from working after completing a map update.

PC:
Remains at 4.1.28.0

TY

Updated. Thanks

--
Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 750, Nuvi 255LT

Update went smoothly

on my windows 10 machine. Seems to work fine with my nuvi 3597.

--
Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT