Winxows 10 Anniversary Update: The Road to Redstone

 

It’s already been a year since Microsoft launched Windows 10, and we have had a couple of updates since release. The biggest update yet though is the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which was codenamed Redstone throughout its development. It’s the first major branch from the launch codebase, which was codenamed Threshold. With it, Microsoft has added a lot of new features, polished some of the interface , and overall provided a nice update to those on Windows 10.

Here's a link to the full article. Posted 2016-08-02 @ 08:00 EST

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10537/windows-10-anniversary-u...

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!
<<Page 2

Don't know why but I was not offered this screen

koot wrote:
soberbyker wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Windows 10 on my Notebook downloaded and installed.
It took just at an hour.
It never asked me any questions.
I checked my settings and nothing changed.
All is great.
I was expecting the worst and got the best.

Did you use the express settings or customize while it ran?

I always choose "custom" setup when it's available.

http://tinyurl.com/jzp5xlr

Using the custom setup I noticed a lot of phone home type stuff was automatically checked, which I unchecked as I went along. Prior to this update I had all that stuff turned off.

http://tinyurl.com/zqfudlo

http://tinyurl.com/z9qvjft

http://tinyurl.com/z2az5n7

I also did not setup Cortana as it sends your info to MS as well.

http://tinyurl.com/j7kuvmz

I have a laptop that is 10 Pro and it gave me the option to "defer" future updates, my desktop which is 10 Home did not have the same option during setup.

ETA: both updates were done via the internet, the laptop using Wifi, the desktop hard wired, no error messages encountered.

I used 'Customize' to make changes to my settings too. I guess some people just go with 'Use Express Settings'.

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/soberbyker/media/win10anna/...

I did not go in to anything and bring the update in. My update did not offer any screen like this. My update came in on Settings, security and update. It checked for updates automatically and did it. Just a normal regular update and now I have the Windows 10 anniversary. Just normal update (not an upgrade) as I already had the Windows 10 and I did not go to the internet to bring it in. It just did it itself.

Did you let it come to your computer on it's own or did you go get it?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

not me

koot wrote:

People that care about their settings (privacy settings in particular) use 'Customize' to make changes to their settings. But I guess many people just go with 'Use Express Settings'.

I never use express install no matter what the program, I always want to see what 'they' think is best and make changes as I see fit.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

took it

mgarledge wrote:

Did you let it come to your computer on it's own or did you go get it?

I manually asked for it, my Windows Update area said I was up to date, not offering the anniversary update yet.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Were

mgarledge wrote:

I was never asked anything. I did nothing. It was an automatic download and worked just like regular updates.it kept everything just the same.

Were you sitting looking at your machine the whole time. If I recall correctly at one point the update got to a point that has a count down clock (lower left of the screen maybe). I'm not sure if that's where you can select the custom installation but if it is and you just let the clock run down then it would have defaulted to the "express" install and just kept on going.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

maybe ...

t923347 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I was never asked anything. I did nothing. It was an automatic download and worked just like regular updates.it kept everything just the same.

Were you sitting looking at your machine the whole time. If I recall correctly at one point the update got to a point that has a count down clock (lower left of the screen maybe). I'm not sure if that's where you can select the custom installation but if it is and you just let the clock run down then it would have defaulted to the "express" install and just kept on going.

As I mentioned I did the "forced" update so my experience was probably different as it appears the update showed up in the Windows Update app for mgarledge, I started the download before bed, when I woke up in the morning the screen I posted above was waiting my decision, no timer involved, was probably waiting for a few hours.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

I set at my computer the entire time.

I was using my PC and when I was finished I looked at settings, update and it said scheduled to restart tomorrow so I clicked on restart and set here and surfed on my tablet while it was downloading and installing. I thought I was going to be asked something so I didn't leave. I guess because it came in as a regular update that it just did what it was suppose to do for a normal update.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

'30-minute count down' was to install the downloaded update

t923347 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I was never asked anything. I did nothing. It was an automatic download and worked just like regular updates.it kept everything just the same.

Were you sitting looking at your machine the whole time. If I recall correctly at one point the update got to a point that has a count down clock (lower left of the screen maybe). I'm not sure if that's where you can select the custom installation but if it is and you just let the clock run down then it would have defaulted to the "express" install and just kept on going.

I think that '30-minute count down clock' was to actually install the downloaded update.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

It did not do the express or custom install

By letting the automatic updates bring the update in it did a regular update (not upgrade) and kept all my settings as I had them. I rebooted the Laptop, then had the blue screen came up and it immaterially started downloading and then updating. After the reboot there was nothing on the screen but the circle and saying downloading and the %, then the installing and the %. At the bottom was only Do not turn your computer off. I was watching the screen when it was rebooting.
It did not do the express or custom install.There was never this option. It was just like bring in any regular automatic update. I guess that is why it kept my settings like I put them.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I would think that regardless of how you got the update

mgarledge wrote:
koot wrote:

I used 'Customize' to make changes to my settings too. I guess some people just go with 'Use Express Settings'.

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/soberbyker/media/win10anna/...

I did not go in to anything and bring the update in. My update did not offer any screen like this. My update came in on Settings, security and update. It checked for updates automatically and did it. Just a normal regular update and now I have the Windows 10 anniversary. Just normal update (not an upgrade) as I already had the Windows 10 and I did not go to the internet to bring it in. It just did it itself.

Did you let it come to your computer on it's own or did you go get it?

I purposely got the update manually on all my PCs...and watched it download and then install the update in each case. At the very end of the install process is when the screen appeared asking if you wanted to Customize the settings, or to use Express Settings.

I would think that regardless of how you got the update (manually forced or automatic) that you would be given a choice of how you'd like to make your settings. It's my understanding that this update was so big and involved that many of the settings are changed to default - thus the screen to either Customize settings or go with Express settings.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

I did on one ...

koot wrote:

I purposely got the update manually on all my PCs...and watched it download and then install the update in each case. At the very end of the install process is when the screen appeared asking if you wanted to Customize the settings, or to use Express Settings.

~snip~.

I updated my laptop (Pro), while I watched the entire process. I did this via wifi. Nothing alarmed me so I started the desktop (home), via ethernet, and let it run without watching overnight. (both forced) One difference between the two that I did see was the pro version asked if I wanted auto updates in the future or defer them and home did not. Other than that, at least for the parts of the desktop installation I did watch, they were identical.

Coincidentally, or not?, when I booted up the laptop the next day a BIOS update was ready for installation.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

OK

mgarledge wrote:

It did not do the express or custom install.There was never this option. It was just like bring in any regular automatic update. I guess that is why it kept my settings like I put them.

OK that maybe the difference between your update and the one I saw. I did the "forced" update and did have the option to use the defaults or to customize.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Wallpaper

If you received the wallpaper there's a real cute one first anniversary and has a cute little ninja cat on it the dark things

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Huh

soberbyker wrote:

Coincidentally, or not?, when I booted up the laptop the next day a BIOS update was ready for installation.

A bios update for what component?

I can't recall ever seeing an operating system attempt to acquire, let alone install a BIOS update into a computers BIOS proper.

An update to the computers (motherboard, mainboard or system board's) BIOS update almost always requires a deliberate overt action where you must download a specific file usually to a usb or sometimes your HDD, then you need to power cycle the system and interrupt the boot process prior to the beginning of the boot process to break into the machines BIOS (sometimes via the escape key, sometimes the delete key, sometimes the F2 key) then use the BIOS UPDATE function within the BIOS.

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've had to update a system board's BIOS so things might have changed...

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Huh

soberbyker wrote:

Coincidentally, or not?, when I booted up the laptop the next day a BIOS update was ready for installation.

A BIOS update for what component?

I can't recall ever seeing an operating system attempt to acquire, let alone install a BIOS update into a computers BIOS proper.

An update to the computers (motherboard, mainboard or system board's) BIOS update almost always requires a deliberate overt action where you must download a specific file usually to a usb or sometimes your HDD, then you need to power cycle the system and interrupt the boot process prior to the beginning of the boot process to break into the machines BIOS (sometimes via the escape key, sometimes the delete key, sometimes the F2 key) then use the BIOS UPDATE function within the BIOS.

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've had to update a system board's BIOS so things might have changed...

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

HP

BarneyBadass wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

Coincidentally, or not?, when I booted up the laptop the next day a BIOS update was ready for installation.

A bios update for what component? ~snip~

It's an HP laptop, it was a HP BIOS update, not sure if it had anything to do with putting the 10 anniversary update on but I doubt it. The BIOS update popped up when I booted up the day after the 10 anniversary update.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

bios update

BarneyBadass wrote:

...it's been a long time since I've had to update a system board's BIOS so things might have changed...

Just did one on my refurb PC. It is the same as ever. The bottom line is - if the bios update isn't successful, you brick your PC. I can't imagine the operating system doing that without the cooperation of the admin/user.

dobs108 smile

Microsoft bios update?

soberbyker wrote:

The BIOS update popped up when I booted up the day after the 10 anniversary update.

It seems the bios update was needed to run Windows 10.

dobs108 smile

No, from HP

dobs108 wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

The BIOS update popped up when I booted up the day after the 10 anniversary update.

It seems the bios update was needed to run Windows 10.

dobs108 smile

As I mentioned the BIOS update was from HP. I've seen/run them in the past so I am familiar with the interface.

I've been running Windows 10 for about 10 months.

Smiley aside .... The BIOS update may very well have something to do with the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, however I believe I would have gotten the BIOS update whether or not I took the Anniversary update recently.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

This is the screen I saw

t923347 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

It did not do the express or custom install.There was never this option. It was just like bring in any regular automatic update. I guess that is why it kept my settings like I put them.

OK that maybe the difference between your update and the one I saw. I did the "forced" update and did have the option to use the defaults or to customize.

This is the screen I saw, which gave me the choice to 'Customize settings' or 'Use Express settings'

https://ffp4g1ylyit3jdyti1hqcvtb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/con...

I find it more than a bit unusual that everyone wasn't given a chance to customize their settings - whether they forced the update or the update was done automatically. I find it very odd that if you just let the computer update automatically - that it would retain the previous customized settings.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

almost ....

koot wrote:

This is the screen I saw, which gave me the choice to 'Customize settings' or 'Use Express settings'

https://ffp4g1ylyit3jdyti1hqcvtb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/con...

Customize button on mine was in a different spot but it was there

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x101/soberbyker/win10anna...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Could be better!

I updated my computer since the update rolled out but encounter problems with my sound driver and webcam with distorted audio quality that I had to revert to the previous build.

<<Page 2