was at the car dealer getting a loaner

 

And I saw on the desk through the window, a rlc violation from the City of Yonkers.

The way it was laid out was as if the 21 y.o. kid would have to make a phone call, probably by matching up who had the vehicle at that time, to the customer records.

I was thinking, it's probably going to be hard for a car dealership to collect from the driver, unless they simply bill the credit card, which is what I think a rental agency would do. They do swipe a card, but under normal circumstances there are never any charges as it's a courtesy car.

I hate the pet stipulation--almost every time I get a SUV, there is hair everywhere. I love dogs, but feels weird when it's someone else's dog's hair all over anything and everything in the car....

Bed bugs...

Rented a car in Florida a few years ago that was infested with bed bugs. Took the car back immediately after we seen a few bed bugs in the back seat.

yep

Jim547 wrote:

Rented a car in Florida a few years ago that was infested with bed bugs. Took the car back immediately after we seen a few bed bugs in the back seat.

I hate to play the game of musical chairs, where some defect perpetuates until finally someone gets burned for something they didn't do...like gets charged for a pet cleanout when they didn't carry a pet, or smoke in the car, or break something in the car, etc.

Two experiences with Rent car

We rented a car from one state and drove to another. When we went to turn in the car they tried to charge us for scratches on the back. I stated they were there when we rented it. After my insisting they were there and I told them to call where we rented it. They went in another room I don't know if they called or not but they took the charges off. I learned to take photos of every part of the rental car...

Then we were in San Francisco about 15 or 20 years ago. We went to Alcatraz. There were so many places to pay for parking but my husband never likes to pay for parking. We parked somewhere that was questionable. I don't remember just what it said or where but after we returned the rent car and then returned home we received a ticket from the city or state or county (don't remember which) of San Francisco that stated if we didn't pay it we would have a warrant for our arrest if we returned to the area. Well we paid the ticket and it cost a lot more than the parking would have. I still have trouble talking my husband into paying to park. We walk far sometimes but never in a questionable spot. smile

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

a long time ago

My family and I were going to be taking an extended vacation it was 8 weeks. We lived in New York and I could get a car from a rental company for a very reasonable rate and the mileage was unlimited.

When we returned the car some 8 weeks later, the rental company had an elephant, hell they didn't have one, they had a whole herd of them.

We had 4 drivers, me, my wife, and two of my 3 children. We went up through Canada, down to Mt. Rushmore and many other places. We averaged between 300 - 500 miles a day on our trip. For the most part, we drove in the evening after the tourist places closed or after we got our fill of the place we were visiting.

We put on some 25,000 miles on this car. We didn't have a single problem with it but the rental company pitched a fit that the oil wasn't changed, the tires weren't rotated and thirteen thousand other things. They tried to bill us for "Unusual wear and tear" on the car to the tune of $5000.

I took the bill to a buddy of mine that was an attorney and we had a good laugh about it. Then, on his letter head, he composed a letter, stating the contract said nothing about being required to take the car in at any point in time fro servicing,l and since there was an unlimited amount of miles in the contract and the rental company knew the car was going to be rented for an extended time (about 60 days), they could happily attempt to get the monies they were demanding via litigation.

We never heard back from the rental company.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

25,000 miles? Your last name

25,000 miles? Your last name of Badass is most appropriate.

Nice One

25,000 miles on a rent car. That is a great idea. Saves your new car...

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Can you imagine if car

Can you imagine if car rental companies start implementing cellular company data policy? You get unlimited mileage but after hitting X miles, your speed will be throttled down to 10 MPH. Good luck getting back home from 5000 mile trip at that speed smile

Btw I wish I had enough money for an 8 week vacation.

interesting....

because I think I am in this loaner/rental through 8/31/16 minimum (likely 2017 from what is circulating on the web). This relates to the Takata airbags.

The car already has a service reminder for an oil change--am I responsible? On a weekly rental I would say no, but what if I end up in this car through 2020? The NHTSA has a deadline of 2020 right now for the airbag situation to be resolved. I saw a grid showing priority 1, 2, 3, 4, and my car would be 4 (last), basically all other. 1 is for 100k cars in high humidity areas.

I woulda loved to have been given a car with like 175 miles on the odometer, like the loaner I got in Dec. I mean that's practically new...this one had 10,000.....although it's a '16 and my car is an '07.....do not find any trace of pets (though it's a sedan) nor smoking, which is a plus!

i started mine

chewbacca wrote:

Btw I wish I had enough money for an 8 week vacation.

On June 28th, 2015. Didn't get a rental car with it though.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

8 weeks ?

Being retired I have 12 months vacation every year !

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Me too

... but even though I'm retired I seem busier than ever, have no idea how I fitted in time to work!!

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

my hunch is retirement

beats working, as long as you have saved up. I envision pursing all those hobbies one never has a chance to do or try when having to go to a job 60 hours a week....the only downside is getting older I suppose....and I don't mean that disrespectfully, life is downhill at around 28-30! lol

throwback

chewbacca wrote:

Can you imagine if car rental companies start implementing cellular company data policy? You get unlimited mileage but after hitting X miles, your speed will be throttled down to 10 MPH. Good luck getting back home from 5000 mile trip at that speed smile

Btw I wish I had enough money for an 8 week vacation.

dunno what the significance is, but Enterprise has always listed states you are allowed to drive to, and you tell the agent. What's their angle, that you wreck somewhere not in that little box and they're off the hook? I remember that dumb box when I was in college, and it hasn't changed over time. I asked actually and was told we just need to know where the car is. Huh? You're already tracking it!

Retired...

Melaqueman wrote:

Being retired I have 12 months vacation every year !

Nothing wrong with that. grin

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Though I retired last July

Though I retired last July 1, I adapted immediately!

No more Network Television for me!!!

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

+1

Nuvi1300WTGPS wrote:
Melaqueman wrote:

Being retired I have 12 months vacation every year !

Nothing wrong with that. grin

Nuvi1300WTGPS

smile

--
Nuvi 2460

that

Melaqueman wrote:

Being retired I have 12 months vacation every year !

is the most I ever had....when I changed jobs, paid out 317 hours (we could accumulate 2x what we get annually--former coworkers said that policy is gone, use or lose--2 mos. off is a lot).

Gotta love my aunt's job on Wall Street--12 weeks to start from day one. Sorry, Euro co. or not, that is a lot of time--if you can take that much off, you can't be that important to your organization....imho

Would never buy a rent car

I, like most others, treat a rent or loaner car with less respect than I do my own. If it's at the beach, it gets trashed with sand, etc.

And that's why I would never buy a used rent car.

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

human nature

cbwatts wrote:

I, like most others, treat a rent or loaner car with less respect than I do my own. If it's at the beach, it gets trashed with sand, etc.

And that's why I would never buy a used rent car.

What you do is human nature, I treat them well because I respect machines. could care less about the owner (did you ever deal with say that co. that was once in OK City, OK, terrible customer service, had to contact the BBB to get bogus charges removed on a personal rental, but we still treated their Cadillac XTS with respect).

Since I like to purchase performance oriented vehicles, I would never even want a CPO, because these vehicles were naturally trashed by those who lease etc. (likely in the market for a BMW M2 since the M3/M4 is now so costly)

Beverly Hills Ripoff

I rented a car in my name to assist a friend who is disabled. He needed to attend a job fair (as a presenter) at UC Northridge. We flew down and rented the car and did the job fair but I later received a ticked from Beverly Hills parking division. We had never been anywhere near BH and I had parked in the university parking lot. There was no way to dispute the ticket other than attending traffic court in Beverly Hills - which is an 8 hour drive. It was a total ripoff.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

with a rental car

thrak wrote:

I rented a car in my name to assist a friend who is disabled. He needed to attend a job fair (as a presenter) at UC Northridge. We flew down and rented the car and did the job fair but I later received a ticked from Beverly Hills parking division. We had never been anywhere near BH and I had parked in the university parking lot. There was no way to dispute the ticket other than attending traffic court in Beverly Hills - which is an 8 hour drive. It was a total ripoff.

There's not much you can do, because the rental car pays the ticket, adds their own fee, if I am not mistaken.

Where this is a real problem is with all electronic tolling. Now you have no choice but to either chance it with your own transponder (misread is the same as not having it, fines plus admin fees by rental car co), pay the toll plus an administrative fee, or order their toll buffet, i.e. fixed price for unlimited tolls. That's what they want you to do.

Sure, we get it, the Golden Gate Bridge has electronic tolling, do you want to pay $36 to cross once? Or do you want to pay $52 to cross twice? Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it......that's a landmark. Say you're in FLA or IL, TX or MD, how the heck are you going to know if you've wandered onto a toll road without toll booths or not

Article...

johnnatash4 wrote:
thrak wrote:

I rented a car in my name to assist a friend who is disabled. He needed to attend a job fair (as a presenter) at UC Northridge. We flew down and rented the car and did the job fair but I later received a ticked from Beverly Hills parking division. We had never been anywhere near BH and I had parked in the university parking lot. There was no way to dispute the ticket other than attending traffic court in Beverly Hills - which is an 8 hour drive. It was a total ripoff.

There's not much you can do, because the rental car pays the ticket, adds their own fee, if I am not mistaken.

Where this is a real problem is with all electronic tolling. Now you have no choice but to either chance it with your own transponder (misread is the same as not having it, fines plus admin fees by rental car co), pay the toll plus an administrative fee, or order their toll buffet, i.e. fixed price for unlimited tolls. That's what they want you to do.

Sure, we get it, the Golden Gate Bridge has electronic tolling, do you want to pay $36 to cross once? Or do you want to pay $52 to cross twice? Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it......that's a landmark. Say you're in FLA or IL, TX or MD, how the heck are you going to know if you've wandered onto a toll road without toll booths or not

Here is an article on this....

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/47/4738.asp