EPE

 

I tried to use EPE today to update the Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores POI file that I maintain.

Immediately upon loading the file I get a "script" error.

It happens as EPE is trying to display the Google Map in the lower left pane or when doing geocoding on a new POI. I am wondering if Google has changed something that Turbo was relying on in the API

Is anyone else having this problem?

Page 1>>

Yes

Yes I tried it and every time I click on a new location the script error pops up again.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Just tried it

And got the script error also.
I was getting this a while back so I disabled the internet function. I don't know if it started working again as it has been a long time since I turned on the internet on EPE.
I only use EPE for changing the file extension. I go to BaseCamp and view with Google Earth if I need to make sure where something is and make changes.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

The script error is still

The script error is still there and has been for some time.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

.

Yes, Turbo said a long time ago that Google changed API's.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Same Here

Disable Internet

Just disable the Internet option. I don't think the map function has been stable for quite some time.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

same here

Used it 2 days ago on Feb 16 with no problems.

Turbo was able to come back to fix the last time, but I doubt that he will be able to spare the time again.

What other programs can we use to edit and create new gpx files.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

I use BaseCamp

GPSgeek wrote:

Used it 2 days ago on Feb 16 with no problems.

Turbo was able to come back to fix the last time, but I doubt that he will be able to spare the time again.

What other programs can we use to edit and create new gpx files.

I was a long time hold out of changing from MapSource to BaseCamp. It took me a little while to learn the program but now that I know how to use BaseCamp I like it.
It uses .gpx files so if I get the .cvs files, or any other file extension that is supported in EPE, I go to EPE and save the file to .gpx then I can use it in BaseCamp.

I make all my new .gpx files in BaseCamp. I make all my routes in BaseCamp... After the learning curve it is a good program.

After you put or make your .gpx file in BaseCamp there is a view option to view in Google Earth. This takes you to where your .gpx is located on the map and you can see if it is in the correct place.

There are video's for BaseCamp. They sure did help me.

Check below for the videos.

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thoughts

GPSgeek wrote:

Used it 2 days ago on Feb 16 with no problems.

Turbo was able to come back to fix the last time, but I doubt that he will be able to spare the time again.

What other programs can we use to edit and create new gpx files.

This latest "script" problem does seem to be very recent as I used EPE two days ago without this problem. The map no longer has the ability to zoom in or out or switch to satellite mode.

mgarledge wrote:

And got the script error also.
I was getting this a while back so I disabled the internet function. I don't know if it started working again as it has been a long time since I turned on the internet on EPE.
...

and

KenSny wrote:

Just disable the Internet option. I don't think the map function has been stable for quite some time.

Mary and Ken's suggestions give me some hope that I can continue to use EPE by going into Options > Preferences and then - in the second section on the left - select the "Disabled" option for the internet.

While I will not get the ability to geocode with EPE, it still is a great way to "edit" .gpx files - as I just did with the Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store file.

I found another .gpx Editor called GeePeeEx which has a "trial" version that will create and output 5 entries. I used it to create an entry for a store in El Paso TX which had moved. I entered all of the information and let GeePeeEx "geocode" for me. Then I saved this single entry file.

If Turbo can not find the time to fix this new and really a "killer" problem in EPE, I think I will be able to keep the Jo-Ann file up to date by using this combination of tools.

GeePeeEx was written by Phil Hornby - who is a member of this site but not currently active, I think - and can be downloaded from http://geepeeex.com/. The full version is $20.

GeePex

I forgot all about this. I paid for a license several years ago and was able to download an update.

Now I just have to see about moving from desktop to my laptop.

I have also emailed Mr. Hornby to see if he has any problems with the recent Google chsnges. I'll pass along any info that he sends.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

CSVed

And if you need a good csv editor, this one rocks!

http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

Basecamp and Google Earth Pro

GPSgeek wrote:

What other programs can we use to edit and create new gpx files.

Like Mary, I use Basecamp. I boot Mapsource and or Basecamp and Google Earth Pro at the same time as a split screen. A 24” or larger monitor is helpful in using this process. I create my files in Basecamp and export them as either a .gpx or a .csv file.

It should be noted that although Basecamp will export files in .csv format, it cannot import them. For that you need a file converter program such as EPE.

.csv files can also be created directly in MS Excel or Notepad and converted to .gpx using charlesd45’s excellent FAQ’s on the subject:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25743

and

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25752

GeePex Info

jgermann wrote:
GPSgeek wrote:

GeePeeEx was written by Phil Hornby - who is a member of this site but not currently active, I think - and can be downloaded from http://geepeeex.com/. The full version is $20.

I was in contact with Phil Hornby and he came back this morning with the following:
"GeePeeEx Editor doesn’t make use of an API anyway; it just produces a KML file and invokes G.E. via the file association. Let me know about any specific problems."

I plan to move my copy over to my laptop and reintroduce myself to the program. Like many others, I had been using EPE and this may be a worthwhile solution. Unfortunately, EPE was free and the full version of GeePex is $20.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Would Turbo pass his EPE source to another?

If Turbo doesn't have the time, would someone that works with VB ask him to share his source code so we all can benefit? Step one might be to add a PayPal Donate button so they get something back for their hard work.

EPE has been a productive tool that I hate to give up. But without the mapping feature fixed, it's hardly worth using.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

I Second The Motion

dave817 wrote:

If Turbo doesn't have the time, would someone that works with VB ask him to share his source code so we all can benefit? Step one might be to add a PayPal Donate button so they get something back for their hard work.

EPE has been a productive tool that I hate to give up. But without the mapping feature fixed, it's hardly worth using.

I agree with dave817 wholeheartedly. I've been too dependent on EPE. No other similar program can replace it, in my opinion. I'm willing to donate or even pay for it if I have to. Paging TurboCCC!

PayPal button

dave817 wrote:

If Turbo doesn't have the time, would someone that works with VB ask him to share his source code so we all can benefit? Step one might be to add a PayPal Donate button so they get something back for their hard work.

EPE has been a productive tool that I hate to give up. But without the mapping feature fixed, it's hardly worth using.

Turbo had one on his WiKiSpaces page. It was to be used for flowers and chocolates for his wife, if I recall. Happy wife, happy life...

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Looks like we're all rowing the same boat

I noticed this yesterday and today is the same. Turbo has had problems in the past when Google changed something, but in the past he was around to sort it out and issue an update to EPE that fixed things until Google shuffled the deck again. It doesn't seem to matter if you answer yes or no to the prompt, either brings up the map but without the location pin. While using the program with the Internet option turned off baypasses the error, there won't be any maps visible. EPE has been the goto tool for me in creating and updating POI files. Unless someone is able to fill Turbo's shoes I may have to explore other options. From reading here, it sounds like BaseCamp might work. Does it interface with Google Earth to display aerial and street views so that I can verify locations are accurate?

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

In Basecamp under View you

In Basecamp under View you can choose to Show Data or Show Map Area in Google Earth.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Fine Tuning the marker in Basecamp

phranc wrote:

In Basecamp under View you can choose to Show Data or Show Map Area in Google Earth.

Going to View, Google Earth and then right clicking on the marker allows you to bring up the Properties.

A yellow flashing square pops up and it allows you to reposition the marker, much like in EPE. Not quite as good as EPE, but a whole better than the alternatives.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

GeePeeEx

I have been playing around with this package a bit and have determined that it will be useful to me in maintaining POI files, so I will likely purchase the package.

Once you get used to EPE, it is difficult to acclimate to another way of doing things. Also, EPE has so many other features that I have found useful over the years that it is hard to imagine myself not having it.

But, bear in mind that the problems with EPE are related to the mapping features. GeePeeEx has done a good job of geocoding so far. As a matter of fact, it has a "drag/drop area" feature where I am able to have both GeePeeEx and the Joann.com/stores open on the screen at the same time; highlight the address of a Jo-Ann store and "drag" the address to the orange highlighted area; and GeePeeEx will interpret the data and act upon it.

Indeed, that is the easiest way I have experienced for doing a geocode.

So, my advice to others is to download the trial version of GeePeeEx and play around with it for a while.

Gonna miss EPE

sad

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Yes, I sent his wife chocolates

camerabob wrote:
dave817 wrote:

If Turbo doesn't have the time, would someone that works with VB ask him to share his source code so we all can benefit? Step one might be to add a PayPal Donate button so they get something back for their hard work.

EPE has been a productive tool that I hate to give up. But without the mapping feature fixed, it's hardly worth using.

Turbo had one on his WiKiSpaces page. It was to be used for flowers and chocolates for his wife, if I recall. Happy wife, happy life...

This has been on his site for a while.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Don't Panic...Yet

I suspect EPE uses Internet Explorer calls along with the Google Maps API to display its information, since IE is included in all Windows machines. If I am right, then this is not a problem with EPE, but with the Google API.

https://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=...

In short, the problem is that the API and IE's "Quirks Mode" aren't cooperating. Because of this you get the error. The workaround for IE is to disable Quirks Mode. However, I don't know if doing that would help EPE at the moment. According to Google at the link above, they've confirmed this as a bug and is looking into releasing a patch to the API next week.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

No idea what the heck this means

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

I suspect EPE uses Internet Explorer calls along with the Google Maps API to display its information, since IE is included in all Windows machines. If I am right, then this is not a problem with EPE, but with the Google API.

https://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=...

Google has confirmed this is a bug and is looking into a fix.

I have no idea what the heck this means, but it seems like a solution is pending.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

EPE Problem

Tried using EPE today and it will not even start. Reinstalled v591, still no to.

Comments?

--
DougJ - Ottawa, ON, CA

@GPSGeek: That's the upshot.

@GPSGeek: That's the upshot. Thus, don't panic yet.

However, I think my deduction is slightly off. It's not that EPE relies on IE to display the maps, but that it uses an embedded browser included in the Visual Basic 6 runtime, which EPE installs prior to installing itself.

In simple language — well as simply as I can put it — Google released a buggy server-side API (Application Programming Interface) that doesn't work properly with Internet Explorer 11 or the Visual Basic 6 runtime files EPE uses. They've acknowledged that there is a problem and are getting ready to release an updated API.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Turbo going to see what can be done

I got lucky and contacted TurboCCC. He is going to see what he can do to fix the problem. He got the same script error when he tried it .Turbo asked me to say Hi from him to all the members at Poi Factory.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

EPE issue FIXED!

Hi guys!

I found the issue and it has been fixed in EPE v5.92. Just go on my wiki site and download the latest version.

I could not let you down. I know you rely a lot on this free tool. I still feel guilty about not fixing the other things (circles, streetview, ...).

I hope all of you are doing well. I got promoted in 2013 and have 25 people under me. Kids are growing. 7&10 already. Can you believe that? EPE v1.00 was released February 8, 2008. Crazy how time goes by.

I wish you well. I'll stick around a few days in case there's another issue. Have a terrific year and don't stop your good work at POI-Factory.

Best regards,

Turbo

Thanks Turboccc. Glad you are all doing well

turboccc wrote:

Hi guys!

I found the issue and it has been fixed in EPE v5.92. Just go on my wiki site and download the latest version.

I could not let you down. I know you rely a lot on this free tool. I still feel guilty about not fixing the other things (circles, streetview, ...).

I hope all of you are doing well. I got promoted in 2013 and have 25 people under me. Kids are growing. 7&10 already. Can you believe that? EPE v1.00 was released February 8, 2008. Crazy how time goes by.

I wish you well. I'll stick around a few days in case there's another issue. Have a terrific year and don't stop your good work at POI-Factory.

Best regards,

Turbo

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Explanations...

I forgot to mention the reason why EPE was not working:

The Gooogle map API changed once again. After going pretty deep into the new API documentation last night, I started fresh up this morning and made a simple google search with the error message. Bingo! I only had to change the API version number. Yes sir! Only 2 characters to change in every script. Oooh! That was easy and I'm so grateful to God for that because I just spent a few hours on the problem rather a few days... smile hehe!

Thank You

turboccc wrote:

I forgot to mention the reason why EPE was not working:

The Gooogle map API changed once again. After going pretty deep into the new API documentation last night, I started fresh up this morning and made a simple google search with the error message. Bingo! I only had to change the API version number. Yes sir! Only 2 characters to change in every script. Oooh! That was easy and I'm so grateful to God for that because I just spent a few hours on the problem rather a few days... smile hehe!

Thanks Turboccc for taking the time off of your busy schedule to help us.We have became so dependent on EPE we get nervous when things are not going right.Congrulations on your promation.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

@Turboccc

Using windows 8.1.When I click to view pois on map I still get the script error.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

W7 32-bit also.

W7 32-bit also.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I never use the "view pois"

But just tested and it fails on Win 7 32 bit for me also.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

View POIs on MAP

Seems to me this feature was not working on 5.91 either? No? If it was working then I can make it work again easily.

Looking at the code, I see that it is using the very old google API. So it was not working in 5.91 either.

Updated v5.92

I was informed that v5.92 was reported as 5.91. I made an update and corrected v5.92. Just download again.

Right

turboccc wrote:

Seems to me this feature was not working on 5.91 either? No? If it was working then I can make it work again easily.

Looking at the code, I see that it is using the very old google API. So it was not working in 5.91 either.

Right it didn't work in 5.91 either.Also download showed 5.91.Will re-download.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

EPE

Dont' have the script error, but as of a couple of days ago, when I start EPE, doesn't open. If I click on the icon in the taskbar, shows a blank window - if I click, nothing happens. Downloaded 592, same result.
Baffled.

Regards,

DougJ

--
DougJ - Ottawa, ON, CA

window lost

wdjohnson2 wrote:

Dont' have the script error, but as of a couple of days ago, when I start EPE, doesn't open. If I click on the icon in the taskbar, shows a blank window - if I click, nothing happens. Downloaded 592, same result.
Baffled.

Regards,

DougJ

You should try this in a command-line:

extra_poi_editor -reset

It will reset all EPE's configuration.

Turbo CC: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

turboccc wrote:

Hi guys!

I found the issue and it has been fixed in EPE v5.92. Just go on my wiki site and download the latest version.

Turbo CC: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Just sent Turbo's wife some chocolates

camerabob wrote:

PayPal button
...
Turbo had one on his WiKiSpaces page. It was to be used for flowers and chocolates for his wife, if I recall. Happy wife, happy life...

While I have done so before, just used PayPal to send some more chocolates.

I hope others will use that button also.

Proximity circle in coming v5.93

I was able to add the proximity circle overlay in the POI Edit page. I don't have yet all the circles but I think the proximity is interesting.

I'll see what else I can do.

You're The Man!

A million thanks to you, TurboCCC!

Script error

Turbo When I click to view pois on map I still get the script error.Windows 8.1.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Win 7 also

charlesd45 wrote:

Turbo When I click to view pois on map I still get the script error.Windows 8.1.

Line: 1
Char: 18004476
Error: 'ROADMAP' is undefined
Code: 0

View POI on MAP is not supported

Reminder: View All POIs on MAP is not supported. It was not supported in 5.91 either. I just fixed what stopped working a few days ago. Sorry.

On the positive side, I just finished adding the Proximity circle and the Circle List. It will be released in 5.93 tomorrow night.

I may have a look at View All POIs on MAP next.

Proximity & circle list implmented!

I will post tonight in v5.93. We are getting closer to full version.

Thanks

turboccc wrote:

I will post tonight in v5.93. We are getting closer to full version.

As others have said, thanks for your time and effort in making this awesome POI program.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Thanks Again Turbo

Awesome program! Been using it for a long time. Thanks for stepping back into it with your busy schedule!

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Risky site?

Not sure if I'm the first on reporting it, but the http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor site is rejected by McAfe Site Advisor with the note : "When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."
Downloading EPE from the download page works fine though.

Page 1>>