For Those With Smartphones - Important Read

 

For those having a Smartphone and have the Flashlight App installed, watch the video. Life gets more and more complicated with advancing technology.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/special-report-bret-baier/blog...

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Interesting Video but No Big Surprise

Just by owning a smartphone, you give up some degree of privacy and security. Have you ever stopped to think why there are so many free or very cheap apps out there? Data mining is big business and these apps are just one way to do it. If you read the app disclaimer statements carefully before installing, you will discover just how much information you are agreeing to give away.

Although particularly malicious, these flashlight apps are just another on the long list of privacy invasive apps we all carry on our phones. The only way to maintain a reasonable degree of privacy is not to store personal information like credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, email addresses or bank account information on your phone. Don’t text or email sensitive data and turn off the GPS when not using it if your phone has that ability.

I realize doing this isn’t a complete fix for the problem but you can’t mine data that isn’t there. This will obviously reduce the functionality of your smartphone to the point that it may not be practical for everyone but it is something all users must be aware of.

as it's written..

muell9k wrote:

For those having a Smartphone and have the Flashlight App installed, watch the video. Life gets more and more complicated with advancing technology.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/special-report-bret-baier/blog...

In the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, so long and thanks for the fish!!

Oh n' thanks fer the link

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Just uninstalled old flashlight

Just uninstalled old flashlight app and replaced it with Privacy Flashlight.

Next step would be to install Snoopwall Privacy App.

Thanks

dobs108 smile

Why I Stick With Apple

Some apps tried to do this sort of thing for the Apple iOS, but were discovered and terminated. Complain all you want about the Walled Garden of Apple, but it has its advantages. Thank you Apple.

--
When you are dead, you don’t know that you are dead. It is only difficult for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

hmmmmm.....

I too uninstalled a flashlight app from my Windows 8.1 nokeia phone.

Although, I seem to be having trouble installing the privacy app onto the phone. Anyone else having trouble installing the privacy app on a Windows 8.1 phone?

TIA

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Garden of Apple?

diesel wrote:

Some apps tried to do this sort of thing for the Apple iOS, but were discovered and terminated. Complain all you want about the Walled Garden of Apple, but it has its advantages. Thank you Apple.

If you look at the Apple logo, somebody has already taken a bite. And you know what happened to Adam and Eve when they took a bite out of the apple laugh out loud

yes but...

DanielT wrote:
diesel wrote:

Some apps tried to do this sort of thing for the Apple iOS, but were discovered and terminated. Complain all you want about the Walled Garden of Apple, but it has its advantages. Thank you Apple.

If you look at the Apple logo, somebody has already taken a bite. And you know what happened to Adam and Eve when they took a bite out of the apple laugh out loud

The person that took a bite outa the apple also got only 1/2 the worm.

Now isn't that an appetizing thought? smile

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Don't panic

Don't panic quite yet. Fox News has the same legitimacy as the used car ads you line your bird cage with. This 'news" program was designed specifically to boost attention for a private company (Snoopwall) and scare people into buying that company's app instead. This is not news; it is advertising. Like all advertising, take it with a grain of salt.

Before I jump to conclusions about internet rumors not found on mainstream media sites, I ALWAYS check Snopes.com first.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

thanks

Chickenhawks wrote:

Don't panic quite yet. Fox News has the same legitimacy as the used car ads you line your bird cage with. This 'news" program was designed specifically to boost attention for a private company (Snoopwall) and scare people into buying that company's app instead. This is not news; it is advertising. Like all advertising, take it with a grain of salt.

Before I jump to conclusions about internet rumors not found on mainstream media sites, I ALWAYS check Snopes.com first.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

For putting some light on the topic. I feel so much better now.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Thanks

Chickenhawks wrote:

Don't panic quite yet. Fox News has the same legitimacy as the used car ads you line your bird cage with. This 'news" program was designed specifically to boost attention for a private company (Snoopwall) and scare people into buying that company's app instead. This is not news; it is advertising. Like all advertising, take it with a grain of salt.

Before I jump to conclusions about internet rumors not found on mainstream media sites, I ALWAYS check Snopes.com first.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

Yes, there was one particular app that the FTC was concerned with. That said, one should always check the required permissions before installing an app, regardless of how popular it is. The recent grouping of Andriod permissions into classes this year vs. the more granular listings from earlier makes assessments a little more difficult though.

Using a firewall

One way to limit risk is to install a firewall, such as:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts...

Once installed, it will stop any app from accessing the internet without your approval. Once you give that approval, the app has approval to access the internet in the future.

Of course, for the firewall to work properly, it will have access to your internet traffic, so then you're trusting the firewall with your data!

Also, android now allows blocking of background data transmission.

If you want to be relatively sure you're data is safe, use a dumb phone. Also, don't use credit cards or bank machines.

A compromise would be to rely on more reliable news sources.

.

Androids have allowed restricting background data since ICS, IIRC.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

I'm going to...

Spray my smart phone with bug spray to get rid of the viruses

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Bug Spray

BarneyBadass wrote:

I'm going to spray my smart phone with bug spray to get rid of the viruses

That stuff will melt the plastic and mess up your screen.

Or maybe,,,Anti Virus Siftware,,,,

for your phone.

thanks

thanks