What Makes an Existing Topic Show Up as Having "New" Posts?

 

I am wondering why, when I log in and go to "Recent Posts", sometimes I'll click on topic with "New" next to it in red, but when I get to the topic there is no new post or recent update at all.

For example, it has happened several times with http://www.poi-factory.com/node/3724.

When I logged in moments ago it was at the top of the recent posts list, and had a red "new" next to it. It is a POI file. Yet when I get there, the latest listed update is May 19, 2013.

I don't want to waste time downloading POI files that haven't been updated since I last downloaded them. So this is confusing. Please explain. Am I missing something? Thank you.

One possible solution

After signing in, rather than doing Recent Posts, try this:

Use Unread Posts instead. (The first time you do this, there will be a LOT of unread posts. This won't be a problem later.) Read the posts you want. Then click the "Mark topics in ALL FORUMS as read" and confirm with the "Mark as Read" that you really want to do this.

Next time, when you click Unread posts, you'll be taken only to the threads with new posts since your last "Mark topics in ALL FORUMS as read." As long as you remember to "Mark topics in ALL FORUMS as read" and confirm the choice with "Mark as Read" each time you finish reading items of interest to you, this will work well.

One other way to minimize the number of items to view is to use the "Forum Preferences (Favorite / Hide)" button and hide those forums not of interest to you such as the Mac forum if you're exclusively a PC user; the Tom Tom and Magellan forums if you're a Garmin person, etc.

CraigW, Thanks for the

CraigW, Thanks for the workarounds, but I'm still wondering why an un-updated POI page shows up as "new".

new

perpster wrote:

I am wondering why, when I log in and go to "Recent Posts", sometimes I'll click on topic with "New" next to it in red, but when I get to the topic there is no new post or recent update at all.

For example, it has happened several times with http://www.poi-factory.com/node/3724.

When I logged in moments ago it was at the top of the recent posts list, and had a red "new" next to it. It is a POI file. Yet when I get there, the latest listed update is May 19, 2013.

I don't want to waste time downloading POI files that haven't been updated since I last downloaded them. So this is confusing. Please explain. Am I missing something? Thank you.

If the author of the file uses the maintainer tools it will show in red in the My Favorites file plus show up in the recent post. When someones edits under the maintainer tools listed under each file it happens. Remember this based on past posts when the same question was asked.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

@charlie

charlesd45 wrote:

...
If the author of the file uses the maintainer tools it will show in red in the My Favorites file plus show up in the recent post. When someones edits under the maintainer tools listed under each file it happens. Remember this based on past posts when the same question was asked.

Charlie,

Have not looked at POI files as far as "new" or "updated" is concerned but I do have experience with FAQs.

As you know, I am maintaining the Index to our FAQs. So, I watch the "Recent Posts" to determine if I need to add a new FAQ to the index.

I experience the same problems as perpster - the OP of this thread.

I just looked at "Recent Posts" and find that the "Reference Page" How Go Get A Track From Basecamp Into Google Earth Using A GPSmap 60CSx at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41657 is marked in red as "new", as opposed to "updated". When I go to the page, I see that it was "Submitted by camerabob on Tue, 12/03/2013 - 10:04am". When I scroll to the bottom to see the Maintainer Notes/Change History, I find camerabob - Jan 21, 2014 Updated to show USB memory modules work alone witout a GPS unit

So - camerabob had made a change to the FAQ - it was not a "new" FAQ. In my opinion, it should have been marked as "updated."

Maybe JM can sort this out.

John

New

Per the OP example he gave it is a custom Poi file. I am only talking about when the maintainer of the file uses the Maintainer Tools listed under their own files .

Maintainer Tools
search / add / edit
check for problems

If they make any minor changes it will show up as new.Like stated in earlier post this is information from a post back in history that I remember about. Just made a minor change to one single poi for VA top attractions to test.Under My Favorites it should show new in red. It should also say new under recent posts.

Looking at Walmart file one under recent says.New for csv and updated for the gpx file.

Agree the FAQ should show updated but the new may just mean new post showing.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

"new" indicator

The "new" indicator is a feature of the underlying web platform we're using. Here's how it works:

When you're logged in, the web software keeps track of pages as you visit them and makes a note of the time you viewed the page. The system also keeps track of the time a page was last modified.

Pages are marked "new" if you haven't previously visited the page *OR* if the page has been modified since the time of your last visit.

jgermann wrote:

... So - camerabob had made a change to the FAQ - it was not a "new" FAQ. In my opinion, it should have been marked as "updated."

Maybe JM can sort this out.
...

@jgermann
I agree -- it would be nice if the platform differentiated between these two scenarios and used "updated" for the latter.

Jonathan (aka JM)

.

JM wrote:

Pages are marked "new" if you haven't previously visited the page *OR* if the page has been modified since the time of your last visit.

Ok, so if a POI page I have previously visited shows "New" in red, it should mean there is a change to the POI file page. But the last modification entry added by the maintainer is several months old, and pre-dates the "New" date. AFAIK, there have been no changes to the POI file the last several times I have checked it, when it was showing "New".

There is a catch

If there are over 50 posts, the software will NOT direct you to the last page where the new posts are. You have to drill down to the last page and figure out which post(s) were added. This has been an issue since I started several years back. Try it. Click on any post with over 50 entries and a '# new' next to it.

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Regarding the poi file

The poi update date at the top only changes if the maintainer uploads a new file. If the maintainer only changes a few entry and then uses the maintainer tools, that date won't change. Same as comments on change notices on the main page. If the maintainer doesn't leave a "change" comment then you won't know there was an update.

Clear as mud? smile

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

.

pwohlrab wrote:

The poi update date at the top only changes if the maintainer uploads a new file. If the maintainer only changes a few entry and then uses the maintainer tools, that date won't change. Same as comments on change notices on the main page. If the maintainer doesn't leave a "change" comment then you won't know there was an update.

Clear as mud? smile

Yes, as clear as government transparency (pick a government, any government). wink