Tomtom vs. Garmin

 

Have an older Tomtom, and was in Mackinaw City at the northern tip of Lower Michigan, ready to go back to my home in Northern Wisconsin. Just a quick dash across the Mackinac Bridge, and a drive through the Michigan Upper Peninsula, right? No, my Tomtom gave me the route back to Traverse City and down through Chicago and then up through most of Wisconsin!!! Three times longer than the shortest route!!! And this was after a maps update!!!

Needless to say, my Tomtom is a piece of crap, and I will now find a Garmin to work with.

OK

.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Not sure about TT's, but...

If this occurred on a Garmin GPS, my first suggestion would be to check your Avoidances. If Tolls are to be avoided, you'd be routed in a way to avoid the bridge.

Could it be that your Tom Tom has a toll avoidance? That'd account for routing you south rather than through the UP.

If toll avoidances are active (with Garmin, TT or whatever), turn off the Toll avoidance and you'll again be routed over the toll bridge to take the short way home...

Not so fast...

Is the bridge a toll bridge? Do you have an avoidance of toll roads set on the TomTom? A Garmin will give a similar route if you have a preference set to avoid tolls.

That said, I had a TomTom stand alone unit... notice, I said had...

Good luck on finding a Garmin that suits your needs and wants.

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Good point, but...

That is a thought, but there are also many tollways in Chicagoland. As soon as I entered Gladstone, MI as the destination, I got the correct route.

Yup

kch50428 wrote:

Is the bridge a toll bridge? Do you have an avoidance of toll roads set on the TomTom? A Garmin will give a similar route if you have a preference set to avoid tolls.

That said, I had a TomTom stand alone unit... notice, I said had...

Good luck on finding a Garmin that suits your needs and wants.

Yup, a $4/automobile toll with an active GPS toll avoidance could make you spend the extra time, extra gas expenses, etc. and head through IN and IL. Even then, it'd make things worse since it'd also avoid IN and IL tollways.

Granted

tommy2tone wrote:

That is a thought, but there are also many tollways in Chicagoland. As soon as I entered Gladstone, MI as the destination, I got the correct route.

Assuming tolls are to be avoided on your TT, you would also be routed away from the various tollways in Chicago and that'd probably route you through city streets or send you west of Chicago to get home.

You really need to check your TT's settings and look for avoidances, then see which avoidances are active.

Another Garmin issue that sometimes results in odd routing is setting the device for pedestrian or bicycle mode rather than motor vehicle mode.

As you can tell, folks here at The Factory believe you'll find the TT routed you south because you constrained its ability to find the route you had expected. (Or...the latest map update for the TT forgot that there is a bridge to the UP!)

had same thing happen on a Garmin 660

in San Francisco, coming back from Marin County...

I had Garmin set to Avoid Toll Roads....

(Golden Gate Bridge is toll Southbound only), so It didn't "Flag as a problem"' on the way "UP").

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

!

JanJ wrote:

had same thing happen on a Garmin 660

in San Francisco, coming back from Marin County...

I had Garmin set to Avoid Toll Roads....

And you were routed through Chicago as a result?

wink

so the moral of the story is...

What is worst than being on a far away place without a PND, beig in a far away place with the wrong settings in the PND

Just like an airplane pilot you must check your vehicle before embarking on a trip, air in the tires, water in the radiator, oil level, gas in the tank and the correct settings in the GPS unit.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Going home

A bit off the topic.

Last April I left friends in Wichita,Ks driving home via Detroit. I got to Kansas City and my 3790 crapped out on me. NO map, no GPS. I saw a sign for Luisville,Ky and followed it. A real long detour!!

Am I the only one who relies almost totally on my GPS and does not use paper maps.

BTW: I will now have my 855 along on very long trips as back-up if the need arises again

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Another Tip

In addition to ensuring you have the settings you want (not the factory pre-sets), occassionally any PND will offer a different route than you want/expect. What I do is start in the direction I want to go and usually my GO930 will re-route to what I wanted in the first place. Of course, this presumes you know the direction you want to go.

I have taken the *scenic route* when in Europe and I did not know the way to go and did not have a map with me other than on my TT. Had I taken a few minutes to look at the route and the map on the TT, I would have saved myself some time, but then I would not seen the additional scenery! wink

--
Shooter N32 39 W97 25 VIA 1535TM, Lexus built-in, TomTom Go

All ways

take my third gps with me for back-up.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

Good info...

My TT knew how to get to Gladstone - which is across the Big Mac bridge - but it didn't like the WIS town a hundred miles beyond it. I will take a look at the settings, but my TT is outdated anyway, and I am looking forward to seeing how a Garmin (or other brand) will handle the same scenario.

There is no hard and fast rule about toll roads

When I first got my TomTom, it took me through a series of set-up screens that included how I wanted to deal with toll roads. I almost checked "Always Avoid" because all of the toll roads in the area I live save very little distance, and save time only at rush hour - when I would not normally be driving in those areas. I saw no reason to spend the money that those roads cost.

However, I remembered a couple of areas back East where there are toll roads that save significant distance and time. As a consequence, I checked "Always Ask Me" on that set-up screen. It occasionally costs me an extra screen click when planning a route, but is an insurance policy for strange areas where toll roads may or may not be worth their cost to me.

I did the same thing with the set-up question about avoiding taking a Ferry, but I have yet to be asked about that on any route that I have planned.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620

Toll Bridge

The bridge crossing the Mississippi at Fort Madison Iowa collects toll for E/B but not W/B. It has been that way for 40 years that I know of. I set up the avoidance and ran the simulation. My Garmin did not get the memo. It avoids for both directions.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Yeah, through Chicago!

No, Instead of the 4-6 mile trip across Golden Gate Bridge direct in SF, as we had earlier in day, It tried to route us northeast, then southeast to Oakland, South to San Jose, then North up Bayshore Freeway to SF Fisherman's Wharf area, where our hotel was... In other words, the long way around the Bay Area, instead of direct (The way it had routed us earlier in the day)...
Forgot the mileage, but I believe it wanted 5-6 hours to do so...

It was directly related to Toll Road Avoidances, made more confusing by toll only being charged Southbound on Golden Gate Bridge...

CraigW wrote:
JanJ wrote:

had same thing happen on a Garmin 660

in San Francisco, coming back from Marin County...

I had Garmin set to Avoid Toll Roads....

And you were routed through Chicago as a result?

wink

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

.

tommy2tone wrote:

Have an older Tomtom, and was in Mackinaw City at the northern tip of Lower Michigan, ready to go back to my home in Northern Wisconsin. Just a quick dash across the Mackinac Bridge, and a drive through the Michigan Upper Peninsula, right? No, my Tomtom gave me the route back to Traverse City and down through Chicago and then up through most of Wisconsin!!! Three times longer than the shortest route!!! And this was after a maps update!!!

Needless to say, my Tomtom is a piece of crap, and I will now find a Garmin to work with.

I just planned a route from Mackinaw, MI to Green Bay, WI on my TomTom GO 720. It asked me if I wanted to avoid tolls and I chose "No". The route took me over the Mackinac Bridge and across the top of Lake Michigan, just like you thought it should.

Are you sure you know how to operate your "piece of crap"?

.

spokybob wrote:

The bridge crossing the Mississippi at Fort Madison Iowa collects toll for E/B but not W/B. It has been that way for 40 years that I know of. I set up the avoidance and ran the simulation. My Garmin did not get the memo. It avoids for both directions.

That's a map issue that Garmin's map provider should be able to fix. FWIW my TomTom recognized that the Tacoma Narrows Bridge only charges a toll in one direction when I crossed a few weeks ago.

I'm a bit puzzled

VersatileGuy wrote:
tommy2tone wrote:

Have an older Tomtom, and was in Mackinaw City at the northern tip of Lower Michigan, ready to go back to my home in Northern Wisconsin. Just a quick dash across the Mackinac Bridge, and a drive through the Michigan Upper Peninsula, right? No, my Tomtom gave me the route back to Traverse City and down through Chicago and then up through most of Wisconsin!!! Three times longer than the shortest route!!! And this was after a maps update!!!

Needless to say, my Tomtom is a piece of crap, and I will now find a Garmin to work with.

I just planned a route from Mackinaw, MI to Green Bay, WI on my TomTom GO 720. It asked me if I wanted to avoid tolls and I chose "No". The route took me over the Mackinac Bridge and across the top of Lake Michigan, just like you thought it should.

Are you sure you know how to operate your "piece of crap"?

What puzzles me is that he said that he has an older model and that he has updated the maps on it. This implies that he has been using the GPS for some years, which in turn implies that he has considered it acceptable until it gave him a long routing because he told it to avoid toll roads.

If I had been using something for a long time and it suddenly gave me strange results, I would look for "what changed", rather than assuming that the product became a "piece of crap" overnight.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620