I need to quit texting

 

Look what happens when you text and drive.

Click Here

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

sponsored links

For Those Who Text While Driving

I wish states would suspend the licesnses for those caught texting while driving.

It is dangerouse and puts other innocent peoples lives in jeopardy. Driving is difficult enough these days, adding distractions just makes it worse.
One has to watch out for DUI's and now in addition texting.
There is no message urgent enough to respond to that is worth a human life.

If you must text, use common sense and pull over as soon as you can so you and others will not be at risk.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

I wish

I wish my sister would stop texting while driving. She does it even with grandkids in the car. She has been lucky. Sad thing is that her 3 children also text while driving. I won't ride with any of them.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

That's scary

That just shows you how widespread the problem is.
Indeed your sister is lucky as well as her three children. If one believes in the law of averages, the luck may one day run out.

If I were you, I would have a serious talk with her and try to break her and the kids of this dangerous habit.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Cops

Next time you're driving close enough to a cop, take a look at how they operate their laptop while moving. Texting is bad, but performing searches on NCIC is WORSE!

--
KD5XB in DM84

They are both bad, that is

They are both bad, that is for sure.

+1

muell9k wrote:

I wish states would suspend the licesnses for those caught texting while driving.

It is dangerouse and puts other innocent peoples lives in jeopardy. Driving is difficult enough these days, adding distractions just makes it worse.
One has to watch out for DUI's and now in addition texting.
There is no message urgent enough to respond to that is worth a human life.

If you must text, use common sense and pull over as soon as you can so you and others will not be at risk.

--
Nuvi 2460

Suspend DL's

muell9k wrote:

I wish states would suspend the licesnses for those caught texting while driving.

No, the police officers need their licenses.

razz

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Cops Texting?

KD5XB wrote:

Next time you're driving close enough to a cop, take a look at how they operate their laptop while moving. Texting is bad, but performing searches on NCIC is WORSE!

You're comparing apples to oranges.
If they're doing something on the computer it's during the course of doing their job. Not texting Aunt Bertha to tell her you're arriving in 11 minutes.

Besides if they need to do a check on NCIC they can do so through the radio and have the dispatcher check and give them the information. They also receive driver training whereas the average citizen does not.
I may be wrong, but I haven't really heard or read of an officer having an accident while texting.
Do you have any links of articles on that?

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Apples and Apples

muell9k wrote:

You're comparing apples to oranges.
If they're doing something on the computer it's during the course of doing their job. Not texting Aunt Bertha to tell her you're arriving in 11 minutes.

Distracted driving is distracted driving. Anecdotally, police officers typically drive 15-25 MPH over the limit, which makes it even more important to drive with all brain cells.

I've been driving about twice as long as some of these officers have been alive. I know what I can do, and what I can't.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Just Not A Safe Thing To Do

David King wrote:
muell9k wrote:

You're comparing apples to oranges.
If they're doing something on the computer it's during the course of doing their job. Not texting Aunt Bertha to tell her you're arriving in 11 minutes.

Distracted driving is distracted driving. Anecdotally, police officers typically drive 15-25 MPH over the limit, which makes it even more important to drive with all brain cells.

I've been driving about twice as long as some of these officers have been alive. I know what I can do, and what I can't.

This is getting off topic, with trying to divert that Police Officers are more guilty than the average citizen in texting.

Bottom line is it's not a safe thing to do NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DRIVER YOU THINK YOU ARE.

I'm sorry just doesn't work after somebody has been killed or maimed and left a family in turmoil.
Don't be SORRY, be careful.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Here is the first link that comes to mind.

muell9k wrote:
KD5XB wrote:

Next time you're driving close enough to a cop, take a look at how they operate their laptop while moving. Texting is bad, but performing searches on NCIC is WORSE!

You're comparing apples to oranges.
If they're doing something on the computer it's during the course of doing their job. Not texting Aunt Bertha to tell her you're arriving in 11 minutes.

Besides if they need to do a check on NCIC they can do so through the radio and have the dispatcher check and give them the information. They also receive driver training whereas the average citizen does not.
I may be wrong, but I haven't really heard or read of an officer having an accident while texting.
Do you have any links of articles on that?

This guy was/is a POS.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/illinois...

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Link

spokybob wrote:

This guy was/is a POS.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/illinois-trooper-involved-in-fatal-crash-seeks-reinstatement-of-driving/article_39f72e94-dcbf-11e1-8f98-001a4bcf6878.html

I agree, he is a POS, he should have done jail time and not the ridiculous 30 months probation.

The point is, texting while driving is a danger to all of society. Holding that steering wheel is like having a weapon in your hands, one miscalculation at a critical moment, and it goes off.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

High Teck Can Be Distracting

muell9k wrote:

Besides if (cops) need to do a check on NCIC they can do so through the radio and have the dispatcher check and give them the information. They also receive driver training whereas the average citizen does not.
I may be wrong, but I haven't really heard or read of an officer having an accident while texting.
Do you have any links of articles on that?

Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/3verrkl

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

I found three links

Here is one where a policeman creams a guy in a wheelchair in broad daylight.
Texting is bad idea no matter who you are.
http://www.poi-factory.com/comment/reply/37253/297964
you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8orkOhvwM&playnext=1&list=P...

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

OK

muell9k wrote:

This is getting off topic, with trying to divert that Police Officers are more guilty than the average citizen in texting.

My first post was supposed to be ironic. Guess some people missed that.

But when it was intimated that police officers be allowed to drive distractedly, it stuck me as an argument that had no merit.

Regards.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Yes

spokybob wrote:

This guy was/is a POS.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/illinois-trooper-involved-in-fatal-crash-seeks-reinstatement-of-driving/article_39f72e94-dcbf-11e1-8f98-001a4bcf6878.html

Big chunk.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Whoa...

spokybob wrote:

Here is one where a policeman creams a guy in a wheelchair in broad daylight.
Texting is bad idea no matter who you are.
http://www.poi-factory.com/comment/reply/37253/297964
you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8orkOhvwM&playnext=1&list=PL3CC732DC42CB1167

The first link is quite spooky, spoky.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

I'm guilty of at least

I'm guilty of at least reading a few texts while driving.

It should be outlawed

Texting should be outlawed - period, for everyone. There should be a way that a phone knows that it is moving too fast and turns that function off. It's bad enough that some people put on makeup in the car, read a bood while driving, etc.

--
Larry - Nuvi 680, Nuvi 1690, Nuvi 2797LMT

I like having company in the car

1) I get to use the HOVer lane wink
2) I can hand them my phone to do secretarial work for me while I drive!

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

What about passengers?

ahsumtoy wrote:

Texting should be outlawed - period, for everyone. There should be a way that a phone knows that it is moving too fast and turns that function off. It's bad enough that some people put on makeup in the car, read a bood while driving, etc.

Yes there is a way, but that would also mean if you are a passenger in a car or even a bus, you couldn't use your phone either.

I've heard some states are trying to get texting while driving to have the same penalties as a DUI which I think is a good thing.

--
Garmin Nuvi 2450

Not only texting

Every state should at least outlaw talking on a handheld cell phone. When I come up behind someone speeding up, slowing down, setting at stoplights after they have turned green, and various other things I can see they have a cellphone plastered to their ear. It's like they can't walk and chew gum.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Texting

Why in the world do you just say texting how about talking?

Distracted Drivers

Because I have three teens, two of which are driving, I don't even have my phone accessible when I'm driving. It's my pretext (text? get it?) of setting an example of distracted drivers. Here in Illinois, they are working to ban all handheld devices, not just cell phones. I've seen some pretty inattentive GPS users out there trying to search for something on, or program their PND which can be even worse than texting. I've seen police officers on their cell phones on personal calls while driving which is not setting a good example at all. Yes - even in the city of Chicago where it is illegal to use a cell phone that's not hands free. I won't start the political debate that cops are above the law in Illinois. I've seen people reading Kindle's, newspapers and books while driving down the road. I remember a case in Ohio near my childhood home where a couple was engaged in a more intimate position and crashed. I'm sure that you've seen even worse than that. AT&T's current campaign is, "Texting. It can Wait" I agree.

--
And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

Waterloo Iowa

An Iowa woman who hit a motorcyclist while texting behind the wheel is going to prison for causing and fleeing from the crash.
Jennifer Moeller, of Holland IA, was sentenced to five years in prison for causing serious injury by vehicle and two years for leaving the scene. She was sentenced Monday in Black Hawk County District Court.
Moeller was accused of hitting Joan Nicolson, of Waterloo, in October. Nicholson lost part of her left leg and suffered other injuries.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

You're Wrong!

ahsumtoy wrote:

Texting should be outlawed - period, for everyone. There should be a way that a phone knows that it is moving too fast and turns that function off. It's bad enough that some people put on makeup in the car, read a bood while driving, etc.

Why should any passenger in a vehicle not be allowed to text, use their cell phone, Ipad, Ipod, computer, GPS, etc., etc.?

It sounds to me as though you're trying to solve a problem by using an extreme, instead of solving it through a common sense approach.

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Because drivers are irresponsible.

Nuvi1300WTGPS wrote:
ahsumtoy wrote:

Texting should be outlawed - period, for everyone. There should be a way that a phone knows that it is moving too fast and turns that function off. It's bad enough that some people put on makeup in the car, read a bood while driving, etc.

Why should any passenger in a vehicle not be allowed to text, use their cell phone, Ipad, Ipod, computer, GPS, etc., etc.?

It sounds to me as though you're trying to solve a problem by using an extreme, instead of solving it through a common sense approach.

Nuvi1300WTGPS

If the driver's on our roads today could be responsible, this would be a non-issue. Since they cannot, something must be done. I would gladly accept the inconvenience for the passenger if it prevents the driver from using this technology. Unfortunately there are plenty of non-tech distractions (newspapers, books, makeup, shaving, eating, etc.....) that would not be preventable.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT