Left on red OK?

 

In Texas as well as 36 other states it is ok to turn left on red under the following circumstances.

I don't see many people doing it here but wish they would.

exas Transportation code:
TRANSPORTATION CODE    CHAPTER 544. TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS, AND MARKINGS

TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD

CHAPTER 544. TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS, AND MARKINGS
 
Sec. 544.007.  TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL. 
(d)  An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1)  turn right; or
(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT
Page 1>>

Go Left, Young Man

>> I don't see many people doing it here but wish they would. <<

It won't be me impeding ya, mate.

Geo/ATL

New York Too, but...

New York has had that as part of their law since it was enacted years ago, however, the vast majority of intersections where it would apply are in New York City, where turns on red are prohibited unless specifically marked, so we don't have many opportunities to make a left on red.

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

from 1 way to 1 way remember

from 1 way to 1 way remember not to make a rolling stop is the big issue.

Florida too.

Florida has that law too but have never tempted to test it.

--
Tight lines

In Michigan, it is

In Michigan, it is permissible to turn left on red from a two-way to a one-way street if a left is permissible, provided the intersection is not posted 'no turn on red'

--

it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: IMac quad-core i3, Mac Mini, MacOS: Mojave 10.14.6 and introducing The Beast, a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit and his Garmin DriveSmart 5. The dog's name is Ginger.

In Alabama, legislation provides that

The driver of a vehicle may turn right on red or turn left on red from a one-way street into another one-street, subject to first coming to a compete stop, seeing no signage to the contrary, and yielding to pedestrian and other lawful traffic.

ALA CODE §32-5A-32(3)b. reads: “Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing any steady red signal may cautiously enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way street into a one-way street, after stopping as required by subdivision (3)a. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.”

Thanks to the OP. I did not know it was legal in Alabama until I looked it up in response to your post. smile

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

A free left.

A Free Left
That's what they called it in Seattle.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

in IL....

In certain instances, it is permissible in Illinois to turn left on a red light. According to the Rules of the Road handbook published by the Illinois Secretary of State, as long as the following five conditions exist, you can turn "left on red."

First, there can't be a posted sign prohibiting the turn. For example, a sign that says "no turns on red," "no left turns," or of course, "no left turns on red."

Second, the driver has to be driving on a one-way street before they make the turn.

Third, the street the person wants to turn onto has to be another one-way street.

Fourth, the traffic on the street the person wants to turn onto has to be moving left.

Finally, and most importantly, the person making the left turn on red must give the right-of-way to all other pedestrians and traffic and must be able to make the turn safely.

Staring 1-1-12, if you are on a motorcycle (or bicycle) and the red light does't change for at least 2 mins., if you can safely do so, you can go any direction you wish. (NOTE: The law applies to municipalities with fewer than 2 million people, meaning it wouldn’t apply in Chicago.)

Ron

Left on Red

I'm not aware of any street in the ATL area that allow you to make a left on Red.

Georgia Code §40-6-21(3)(D) Permits Some Left Turns on Red

jkrose4 wrote:

I'm not aware of any street in the ATL area that allow you to make a left on Red.

I am not aware whether or not City of Atlanta ordinances or posted signage may prohibit such turns there. However, GA Code Section 40-6-21(3)(D) provides that in the State of Georgia:

Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady CIRCULAR RED signal, after stopping as provided in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, may make a left turn from the left-hand lane of a one-way street onto a one-way street on which the traffic moves toward the driver's left but shall stop and remain stopped for pedestrians and yield the right of way to other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal at such intersection. Such vehicular traffic shall not make a left turn against a steady CIRCULAR RED signal at any intersection where a sign is erected prohibiting such left turn.”

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

left turn law

Ohio has this law too but I never found a location or had a situation to use it.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

turning left on RED

This is the first time I have heard that you can turn left on red,Here in Ohio if I do that ,I will have a smokey on my tail.with some nice blue and red light flashing all over ..lol

interesting ... will test if I can find a location for that LOL!

always learning something new hehe smile

can't recall any locations where I could get it tested right away (2 one ways intersection), but will look for that smile

--
Garmin nuvi 2595LMT; Android 5.0 (Samsung GS3)

Michigan

We've had that for years and gets traffic moving quickly.

iowa

has the same law, and Davenport IA has a lot of area you can do it.

Right on red OK Left on Red

Right on red OK
Left on Red NOT OK!!!!

Pennsylvania ...

... allows it, like other states, if from a one way street to a one way street as long at there is no "No Turn On Red" sign posted.

Tons of places to do this in Center City Philadelphia with all of it's one way streets.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

+++DRIVING with PARKING lights

It is a lack of knowledge and the inability to break old habits.
I believe we should mount a campaign to get traffic broadcast (radio & TV) to periodically review traffic laws like:
right turn on red
left turn on red
driving with HEADLIGHTS on at DUSK and when it is PRECIPITATING. NOTE...NOTE NOT....NOT parking lights.
that one is my BIGGEST aggravation.

What are people thinking (not) by DRIVING with PARKING lights on. Is this an eco trip? conserving power?

BTW - NC is from a one way

BTW - NC still trying to be from a one way street to a one way street.
Effective ------------NEVER RATIFIED
Any vehicle that turns left under this subdivision shall be, except where prohibited by an appropriate sign, vehicular traffic that is:
1. In the leftmost lane of travel on a one‑way street;
2. Facing a red light;
3. At an intersection with another one‑way street with traffic traveling from right to left may enter the intersection and make a left turn into the extreme left‑hand lane lawfully available to traffic.

while i have no doubt

ruggb wrote:

It is a lack of knowledge and the inability to break old habits.
I believe we should mount a campaign to get traffic broadcast (radio & TV) to periodically review traffic laws like:
right turn on red
left turn on red
driving with HEADLIGHTS on at DUSK and when it is PRECIPITATING. NOTE...NOTE NOT....NOT parking lights.
that one is my BIGGEST aggravation.

What are people thinking (not) by DRIVING with PARKING lights on. Is this an eco trip? conserving power?

While I have no doubt daytime running lights do help prevent accidents, I detest the way they are implemented in many vehicles. Too many nights have I seen cars running with only their DRLs lit because they are almost as bright as the headlamps. Don't these people ever look at their dash or is it all electronic so it's lit too?

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Ontario Traffic Law

The law is the same in Ontario, Canada, but there really isn't a lot of roads where it's applicable. I suspect many people, including me forget when it can be used.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

DRLs = please, let's not

DRLs = please, let's not call them that and add further justification for people to DRIVE with PARKING lights on

My particular issue with parking lights is that I came this close to a head on collision because the approaching vehicle had their parking lights on and it appeared as though the vehicle was about a mile off when it was only 1/2 mile as I passed a car on a two lane road.

I have no sympathy for anyone driving with parking lights on and having an accident.

My mother's car

Box Car wrote:

While I have no doubt daytime running lights do help prevent accidents, I detest the way they are implemented in many vehicles. Too many nights have I seen cars running with only their DRLs lit because they are almost as bright as the headlamps. Don't these people ever look at their dash or is it all electronic so it's lit too?

My mother's car has DRLs, and the dash is always lit. The only indication (asside from the green light on the dash) is that the radio lights are not on unless the headlights are turned on.

I find it very annoying driving at night with DRLs, too many people not turning their lights on and the back end is completely dark.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

Automatic change

shrifty wrote:
Box Car wrote:

While I have no doubt daytime running lights do help prevent accidents, I detest the way they are implemented in many vehicles. Too many nights have I seen cars running with only their DRLs lit because they are almost as bright as the headlamps. Don't these people ever look at their dash or is it all electronic so it's lit too?

My mother's car has DRLs, and the dash is always lit. The only indication (asside from the green light on the dash) is that the radio lights are not on unless the headlights are turned on.

I find it very annoying driving at night with DRLs, too many people not turning their lights on and the back end is completely dark.

My Camry turns the headlights on automatically when it is dark enough. Otherwise the running lights are on. Don't most new cars do this?

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

Then it is technology's

Then it is technology's fault that people get into their car and leave their brains and good judgement at home.

Got it..........And all the time, I was thinking it was just people being ignorant...

a left turn is permissible.

I would wait for green and not to risk a ticket to make a left turn on red, unless I see a sign stating such is permissible.

Take to much effort to argue in court if unfortunately ticketed.

(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

Not Bush's fault

General Motors started this Daytime Running Lights.
I heard that Canada was going to mandate the DRL and GM jumped right in. Is this true?

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

New York

Moose135 wrote:

New York has had that as part of their law since it was enacted years ago, however, the vast majority of intersections where it would apply are in New York City, where turns on red are prohibited unless specifically marked, so we don't have many opportunities to make a left on red.

Quite true! There are very few places outside of NYC where you will have a one way street intersect with another one way street at a traffic light. You come close on some LIE service road interchanges but all the crossroad that I am aware of are bi-directional.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Chicago

abin wrote:

I would wait for green and not to risk a ticket to make a left turn on red, unless I see a sign stating such is permissible.

Take to much effort to argue in court if unfortunately ticketed.

(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

When I was downtown Chicago one time, a taxi behind me honked. It was permissible to make a left at the red, so I did. I was glad I knew I could do that, because otherwise I'd have no idea why the taxi was honking at me. I think I'd rather face a traffic judge, than an irate taxi driver, lol.

derail

ruggb wrote:

Then it is technology's fault that people get into their car and leave their brains and good judgement at home.

Got it..........And all the time, I was thinking it was just people being ignorant...

I feel like we're derailing the thread, but here goes...

One of my cars runs its headlights all the time. I personally don't like it. There are so many reasons why I cannot tolerate it, so I'd like to add to your pet peeve of driving with "parking" lights on, only my list is why I hate DRLs!

1. It is impossible to turn the headlights off, unless you pull the parking brake up a little. I would not do that while driving, but there are times when I need the headlights off, like when I go to the drive-in movie theater. Yes, I'm the jerk leaving early, shining my lights on the screen, unless I utilize the parking break. SORRY! Stop honking!

2. There really is no way to tell if your tail lights are on, unless you're in the habit of manually turning the lights on and off. Which I am, but other people that drive the car are not.

3. Because the lights are on all the time, the headlights burn out a heck of a lot faster. It's fun getting pulled over when it's still light out because one of the headlights is out.

4. If I want to flash another driver for any reason, it doesn't work. Unless I want to blind them by flashing my brights.

5. In inclement weather, it's a state law in Illinois to have headlights on if using windshield wipers. So if I have the headlights on during the day, the dashboard is automatically set to dim. I have to push a special "Daytime" button, to make the dash brighter, so I can read the controls.

Left on red in Washington State - RCW 46.61.055

(3) Steady red indication

(a) Vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection control area and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. However, the vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn; unless a sign posted by competent authority prohibits such movement. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall remain stopped to allow other vehicles lawfully within or approaching the intersection control area to complete their movements. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall also remain stopped for pedestrians who are lawfully within the intersection control area as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).

(b) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in RCW 46.61.060 as now or hereafter amended, pedestrians facing a steady circular red signal alone shall not enter the roadway.

(c) Vehicle operators facing a steady red arrow indication may not enter the intersection control area to make the movement indicated by such arrow, and unless entering the intersection control area to make such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering a crosswalk on the near side of the intersection control area, or if none, then before entering the intersection control area and shall remain standing until an indication to make the movement indicated by such arrow is shown. However, the vehicle operators facing a steady red arrow indication may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way street or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn; unless a sign posted by competent authority prohibits such movement. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall remain stopped to allow other vehicles lawfully within or approaching the intersection control area to complete their movements. Vehicle operators planning to make such turns shall also remain stopped for pedestrians who are lawfully within the intersection control area as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).

saw that, too.

twix wrote:
abin wrote:

I would wait for green and not to risk a ticket to make a left turn on red, unless I see a sign stating such is permissible.

Take to much effort to argue in court if unfortunately ticketed.

(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

When I was downtown Chicago one time, a taxi behind me honked. It was permissible to make a left at the red, so I did. I was glad I knew I could do that, because otherwise I'd have no idea why the taxi was honking at me. I think I'd rather face a traffic judge, than an irate taxi driver, lol.

I saw that, too. I feel that is a judgement call. If I were the driver behind and noticed it is an out-of-state license plate, I will wait for green unless there is a posted sign drivers can't miss.

Left turn in Ohio

Driver 38 wrote:

This is the first time I have heard that you can turn left on red,Here in Ohio if I do that ,I will have a smokey on my tail.with some nice blue and red light flashing all over ..lol

As a former LEO, it is possible to make a left turn on a red light in Ohio. According to ORC 4511.13 (C) (3) it is permissable to make a left turn from a one way street. See the following; Unless a sign is in place prohibiting a left turn as provided in division (C)(5) of this section, vehicular traffic, streetcars, and trackless trolleys facing a steady red signal on a one-way street that intersects another one-way street on which traffic moves to the left may cautiously enter the intersection to make a left turn into the one-way street after stopping as required by division (C)(1) of this section, and yielding the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Been there done that

twix wrote:

When I was downtown Chicago one time, a taxi behind me honked. It was permissible to make a left at the red, so I did. I was glad I knew I could do that, because otherwise I'd have no idea why the taxi was honking at me. I think I'd rather face a traffic judge, than an irate taxi driver, lol.

Yeah, as it says above, left turn on red is legal in Illinois with two intersecting one way streets where a left turn is legal, there are no pedestrians in either crosswalk, and there's no sign prohibiting it. But there can't be many such intersections in Illinois other than in the city of Chicago, where they definitely are found. I've done it there, too. I would never honk at somebody who wasn't exercising his right to turn left on red though--that's a good way to be misunderstood and get shot.

--
JMoo On

Winnipeg MB CA

Left turn on red permitted, one-way onto one-way.

--
phlatlander

Good Idea!

dagarmin wrote:

I would never honk at somebody who wasn't exercising his right to turn left on red though--

It could get you a ticket in Chicago...

11-4-1290 Motor vehicle horns and audible signal devices.
No person shall sound any horn or audible signal device of any motor vehicle of any kind while not in motion nor shall such horn or signal device be sounded under any circumstances except as required by law nor shall it be sounded for any unnecessary or unreasonable period of time.
(Prior code § 17-4.20)

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/chicago/

Ron

good to know

Maybe I'll give it a shot some time . . .

reasoning

The environment of making a left on red from a one way to a one way is the same as making a right on red normally with the exception that you have to be aware of traffic on the other side of the intersection (if it is 2 way there) making a right turn into your intended lane instead of a left turn in a conventional intersection.

Wow, long run on sentence.

depends...

Mr69 wrote:

Right on red OK
Left on Red NOT OK!!!!

Right on Red maybe OK.

Left on Red NOT OK, unless you are already in the middle of intersection before the light turns red.

Parking lights

What about those people who do not know or do not care that one of their headlights is not working. Don't the parking lights help you to know that it is a car rather than a bike or motorcycle?

maybe

GN2 wrote:

What about those people who do not know or do not care that one of their headlights is not working. Don't the parking lights help you to know that it is a car rather than a bike or motorcycle?

Most of the time you can't see the parking light on the burnt out side until you're fairly close and by then you can most likely see it's a car without the parking light.

One thing that helps me know, from a distance, is a car doesn't have as much room in a lane and tends to stay in one part, in other words the headlight wouldn't move around within the lane as much as a bike would.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

AZ Left On Red OK

Arizona allows left on red as indicated in the original post. Onto a one-way street after coming to a complete stop. It might be a universal rule like 'right' on red after a full stop (but not confined to one-way streets). wink

Cheers

--
Nuvi 760 & 660, Streetpilot, GPS III, GPS 10X

No left on Red in DC

Verified with DC LE that this is illegal. Looked online for traffic rules- no joy. But, as I recall from living in CA. the question is whether or not it is a left from a one way to another one way. If a 2 way street is involved, you're crossing oncoming traffic to do so. Anyone agree or disagree??

(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

the key point

billchang2 wrote:

Verified with DC LE that this is illegal. Looked online for traffic rules- no joy. But, as I recall from living in CA. the question is whether or not it is a left from a one way to another one way. If a 2 way street is involved, you're crossing oncoming traffic to do so. Anyone agree or disagree??

(2)  turn left, if the intersecting streets are both
one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

The key point about being able to turn left from a 1-way to another 1-way is it's a local ordinance. It doesn't hold true in all states or jurisdictions.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Left on red

We have that allowed where I live, but it is almost more theoretical since I do not know many one way streets crossing another.

If I am some where else I assume it is not allowed.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Wiki

In the U.S., 37 states and Puerto Rico allow left turns on red only if both the origin and destination streets are one way. See South Carolina law [11] Section 56-5-970 C3, for example. Six other states, namely Alaska, Florida, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon and Washington, allow left turns on red onto a one-way street even from a two-way street.[12][13][14][15][16] In Washington, freeway on-ramps are considered one-way streets for the purposes of the left turn on red law.[17] The following states and territories ban left turns on red: South Dakota (unless permitted by local ordinance), Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, and Guam. New York City also prohibits left turn on red lights, unless a sign indicates otherwise.

The smart thing is to check the state where you are.

Left on Red In Atlanta

I have lived in the Greater Atlanta Area for 30yrs and have seen things on the road that a stunt driver would not do. However, turning left on a red light is not one of them. Yet!!

--
JG - Nuvi 2460

Common sense prevails

If you are on a one way, and the street that intersects is a one way that goes from right to left, and there is a sign telling you no turn on red, of course, that implies that left on red is legal, unless there is a sign that says it isn't.

It seems that when people refuse to use common sense, and refuse to use logic, they will cite the Constitution.

Rochester N.Y.

Rochester N.Y. has a couple of streets/intersections that are left turn on red.

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

]

Metroparker wrote:

The smart thing is to check the state where you are.

That makes too much sense. Can't do it. grin

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*
Page 1>>