Nikon users (GPS Adapter)

 

I just got this email from Adorama for Nikon users. Unfortunately my D80 isn't on the list.

http://tinyurl.com/3w7la85

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

When I was young, I depended

When I was young, I depended upon my memory to tell me where the photos I took were located. Now, rather than carry even more equipment, I rely on pencil & paper.

Photography is fun when you use minimal equipment & take good photos.

Fred

Nikon Accessory

Thanks for the information. I have a D300 and it would work great for taking pics of all the old run-down country sheds, barns and so on. It is too hazardous to park, take a shot, write down the coordinates and then be on my merry way. This way I could take the pic and when I get home, add all the information to a file of my own and keep it on the GPS for future reference.

--
Kudos to all at POI Factory - a great site!

A few of these--

There are a few of these available, including one from Nikon.

We use a third-party one with a D90 (it's out doing a photo shoot right now, so I don't have it at hand).

A difference among the units is how they are powered, and whether they're powered from the camera's batteries just when the camera is turned on, or all the time when the GPS is connected -- a tradeoff between how long it takes you to get a fix, and how long your camera batteries last!

Another aspect we've had to explain is the difference between that first fix the receiver spits out and the overdetermined fix it spits out twenty seconds later -- that can be hundreds of meters away.

--
Nuvi 2460, 680, DATUM Tymserve 2100, Trimble Thunderbolt, Ham radio, Macintosh, Linux, Windows

Hmmm...

Don B wrote:

I just got this email from Adorama for Nikon users. Unfortunately my D80 isn't on the list.

http://tinyurl.com/3w7la85

My D200 and D300 already have a built-in GPS receiver, so I guess maybe these addon ones just give more data (i.e. altitude, etc)?

Off the top of my head I can't see how I'd really need something like that, but who knows!

NP

--
In times of profound change, the learners will inherit the earth while the "learned" find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists...

Too Bad...

I could use this for my field work, but I'm not about to take my Nikon trekking thru the boonies. So I use my GPSmap 60CS and record my shots with pencil and paper. The camera I use is my inexpensive (read I don't mind if it gets damaged) Panasonic P&S.

--
Shooter N32 39 W97 25 VIA 1535TM, Lexus built-in, TomTom Go

D200 and D300 do not have built in GPS receivers

ORnonprophet wrote:

My D200 and D300 already have a built-in GPS receiver, so I guess maybe these addon ones just give more data (i.e. altitude, etc)?

Off the top of my head I can't see how I'd really need something like that, but who knows!

NP

The D200 and D300 do not have a built-in GPS receiver. These cameras can use the Nikon GP-1 GPS accessory.

Better check to see what camera you might have.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

My Mistake!

diesel wrote:
ORnonprophet wrote:

My D200 and D300 already have a built-in GPS receiver, so I guess maybe these addon ones just give more data (i.e. altitude, etc)?

Off the top of my head I can't see how I'd really need something like that, but who knows!

NP

The D200 and D300 do not have a built-in GPS receiver. These cameras can use the Nikon GP-1 GPS accessory.

Better check to see what camera you might have.

You're right! I knew that both were capable of displaying at lat & long in the exif data, but you're right, you need an external GPS receiver to achieve that.

Even though I primarily shoot landscaps/nature, I've never felt the need to record a position with my photos.

NP

--
In times of profound change, the learners will inherit the earth while the "learned" find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists...

Geotagging Comes in Handy

My iPhone geotags photos and it does have value. It is pretty cool to see on a map where the picture was taken. Sometimes, it is possible to mistake where hundreds of pictures were taken along a trip.

I'm probably going to get a Nikon GP-1 for an upcoming trip to Chisasibi, QC.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

Of course I'm right

ORnonprophet wrote:
diesel wrote:
ORnonprophet wrote:

My D200 and D300 already have a built-in GPS receiver, so I guess maybe these addon ones just give more data (i.e. altitude, etc)?

Off the top of my head I can't see how I'd really need something like that, but who knows!

NP

The D200 and D300 do not have a built-in GPS receiver. These cameras can use the Nikon GP-1 GPS accessory.

Better check to see what camera you might have.

You're right!

NP

Of course I'm right. You don't know what you are talking about.

And since you didn't know the D200 and D300 cameras didn't have built-in GPS receiver, that must mean you do not have a D200 or D300.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

Wow....

Ummmm......yeah. This forum used to be friendly place to hang out. Now it seems like not so much......kind of sad. Has the whole PND vs. smartphone thing REALLY got people that upset? It's just electronics people, no need for hyperventilating.....

NP

--
In times of profound change, the learners will inherit the earth while the "learned" find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists...

It still is a friendly place...

But, you reap what you sow.

Your constant diatribe on smart phones, and Boost haven't gained you any favour, I think. Not to mention your habit of posting 5 times in a row in a thread.

It's my opinion that you seem to think you're the resident expert on these things, and don't know when to leave well-enough alone on some things.

Again, JMO.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Or, as the "hip" crowd like

Or, as the "hip" crowd like to say these days, PWNED!

Seriously, none of us know everything, and sometimes we get ourselves wrapped up in discussions that we shouldn't. But the best of us know our limits and do not try to be the loudest voice in the room.

Everybody has opinions, and there is a right way and wrong way to express them. ORNONPROPHET has not found that right way.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams