General Motors onboard navigation system

 

We just purchased a 2011 Buick LaCrosse and love the car. While we've been looking for this vehicle for a while, we were surprised to see that no dealer ever had one that did not include the navigation system. So the one we purchased has that system as well.

I love the way it works but it's taking some time to get to understand the way it operates. What I really want to know if there is a way to do a bulk import of the red light and speed cameras from the list we get here at the POI Factory? Has anyone successfully uploaded the POIs from here into a GM navigation system?

Thanks,
John

my experience

My experience is no. The only way to update the GM system is through the DVD that will cost you more than a new portable GPS.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Glad you brought this up

We have been looking at buying a new Equinox or other GM vehicile and I was almost to the point of wanting the Nav system. I just looked at the price of an update DVD and it was either $159.99 or $199.99. The 2010 DVD isn't even in stock.
I live in the Tampa area and they have been revamping the major expressways for the past several years. Moving highways, revamping the exit ramps and just relocating a lot of very important lanes and ramps. Garmin has done a fairly good job updating the changes but you just can't quite keep up with movimg targets like we have here. I believe the GM Nav system would be out of date almost immediately and would probably be more confusing than helpful within a very short time, at critical times when you need it most.
After this investigation I will save my money and spend it on Garmin updated as the newer, exciting models come out.

Turned off to Built In

Box Car wrote:

My experience is no. The only way to update the GM system is through the DVD that will cost you more than a new portable GPS.

This is one reason I am personally turned off to built in GPS systems at this time. The GPS and feature set technology is improving all the time AND the automakers seem to think updates should cost the equivalent of an extra car payment. A friend of mine has a Lexus with a built-in navigation system and he almost fell off his chair when he saw the cost of the DVD upgrade. His vehicle is a 2007 so he is already behind on updates. He now has a Garmin 265WT.

When you look at the new technologies that Garmin is adding such as remembering your preferred route, nuLink, custom routes, etc. you start to get jealous that your overpriced built-in system cannot do it and never will.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Love it....

Aardvark wrote:
Box Car wrote:

My experience is no. The only way to update the GM system is through the DVD that will cost you more than a new portable GPS.

This is one reason I am personally turned off to built in GPS systems at this time. The GPS and feature set technology is improving all the time AND the automakers seem to think updates should cost the equivalent of an extra car payment. A friend of mine has a Lexus with a built-in navigation system and he almost fell off his chair when he saw the cost of the DVD upgrade. His vehicle is a 2007 so he is already behind on updates. He now has a Garmin 265WT.

When you look at the new technologies that Garmin is adding such as remembering your preferred route, nuLink, custom routes, etc. you start to get jealous that your overpriced built-in system cannot do it and never will.

I love my Lexus nav system...the portables keep trying to catch up with the features of the built in systems but keep putting out models with nothing but problem after problem after problem...I have a 1490T and it does not have many of the features the built in unit has. Instead of investing in useful features Garmin keeps coming out with all this crap that I personally don't need. Besides I have had ZERO problems with the built in unit....Wish I could say that about my 1490T which has considerable problems and firmware updates and still has some issues....Like I have always said there are pros and cons with both but I personally perfer the built in unit with no problems...Can't even see the POI's on the garmin unit...I tell my built in unit to show all POI's or specific ones(e.g. mexican rest.) and bingo there they are....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Built in GPS

There's a rumor that a Lexus costs more than an Equinox. A LOT more.

I have heard the same rumor....

walteredgarpalmer wrote:

There's a rumor that a Lexus costs more than an Equinox. A LOT more.

My son has a nav system in a Chevy Suburban and one in a Ford Edge..He says the Ford unit is much better all around than the GM unit....Maybe it is just the GM units are not what they are suppose to be....I don't know if a Chevy unit is different than a Buick unit vs a Cadillac unit or if they are all the same. I would suspect they are all the same but don't know for sure.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

.

farrissr wrote:

I would suspect they are all the same but don't know for sure.

You'd think they would be... GM/ Fischer Body. Besides, why reinvent the wheel for different marques, right?

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

GM GPS

I have a Toyota $-Runner with the built in GPS and to update it it will cost me 300.00.

Whoa...

$300? Ouch! I suddenly really love my Garmin... wink

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Sounds high!!!

Juggernaut wrote:

$300? Ouch! I suddenly really love my Garmin... wink

My Lexus DVD update is $199. Just called the dealer on Wednesday. The new DVD was just released. Last year I bought the prior one to the new one from a dealer for $50. I really don't find the need to update every year. Every third year or so is OK with me. Don't really use it that much unless I am on a trip out of town....you might check that price again....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Wasn't me, dude

It was Steve620 that I replied to.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Don't forget one thing

All those upgrade firmware cost are monopoly. Just like ink refill for printer.

Ford Nav is the same

I have a factory Nav system in my car. I just checked with them and a map update is $199. I have to say it's a very nice system (don't know who makes it): Fast response, clear map, nice voice and excellent interface. The bottom line though is that I would not pick it as an option if it wasn't already in the car. (I purchased my car used.) It's hard to understand the reasoning behind not only the initial asking price for these units, but even more puzzling to expect people to shell out $200 for a map update. That is more than some very nice aftermarket units which include lifetime map updates.

--
"Primum Non Nocere" 2595LMT Clear Channel and Navteq Traffic

OEM GPS is Vital these days but still pricey

I think GPS should be included in all new cars these days. GPS has become as vital as air conditioning, a radio, and a rear view mirror. However, the price of the built in navi units has to come down! It's way overpriced and the updates are ridiculous. Some aren't even that updated (Honda for instance lags years behind Garmin map updates even though they supposedly come from the same source, Navteq. I wonder what it is I'm even paying for in my DVD updates!) Anyway, I don't see why they can't do a deal with Garmin or somebody (sort of like what Dodge does with the Garmin Nuvi like interface) and offer plain navigation for a fraction of the price that it costs now. Also, keep it simple for the average user. They don't necessarily need to integrate the a/c, radio and everything else through the fancy infotainment system. A basic built in GPS would be fine for base line models like a Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, etc. WE don't need a $2-3,000 navi add on which at the end of the day will not get you there any faster or better than a $200 Garmin.

My GM map updates have averaged less than $25 per update

I have the factory GM nav system and it works great and far more sophisticated than my 3790lmt Garmin. The nice features are the nav info is also displayed in my heads up windshield display so do not have to take my eyes off the road to view turn info. The other very convenient thing is you do not have to install and remove it every time you stop somewhere.

My GM map updates have averaged less than $25 per update. The map DVD's are not tied to any specific head unit and can be used in any other compatible GM model so over the last 3 updates I have sold the prior year map DVD's on line and the net cost for the last three updates was less than $75 total.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

More than just Nav...

ptownoddy wrote:

I think GPS should be included in all new cars these days. GPS has become as vital as air conditioning, a radio, and a rear view mirror. However, the price of the built in navi units has to come down! It's way overpriced and the updates are ridiculous. Some aren't even that updated (Honda for instance lags years behind Garmin map updates even though they supposedly come from the same source, Navteq. I wonder what it is I'm even paying for in my DVD updates!) Anyway, I don't see why they can't do a deal with Garmin or somebody (sort of like what Dodge does with the Garmin Nuvi like interface) and offer plain navigation for a fraction of the price that it costs now. Also, keep it simple for the average user. They don't necessarily need to integrate the a/c, radio and everything else through the fancy infotainment system. A basic built in GPS would be fine for base line models like a Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, etc. WE don't need a $2-3,000 navi add on which at the end of the day will not get you there any faster or better than a $200 Garmin.

When you buy a built in Nav System you get much more than the gps. My Lexus system included backup camera, bluetooth, gps with voice activation and control, upgraded audio system, much larger screen, etc. The built in unit is so much more sophisticated and much more accurate. I think it is money well spent and have found it has more pois than any portable unit. I can input by search poi's, phone number, address, cross streets, poi category and many more...I love my built in unit but still have a Garmin for my other car... There are pros and cons to both...Don't think we should knock either one and you can't compare one against the other...

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM