new & interesting places for your GPS

Garmin Nuvi - Deleting Files- Is this Dangerous

 

FIRST POST EVER ON HERE:
On my Garmin 255w I have many files which I believe I will never use, such as Afrikaans__.sum;Afrikaans__.vpm and other that are not English, so to speak. Is it OK to delete ALL these files, which will free up space ?

TIA.. PJGMIG

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Yes

but copy them to your computer first as a backup just in case you delete something you need.

--
Jeff - Garmin 765T(2), 2300LM, GPSMap 76CSx The difference between genius and stupidity--Genius does not hurt.

Files

After 3 updates, multile vehicle icons, and Many POI's, I found I nearly filled the 660...
I, like you, found many audio,video, and voice files I'll never use.... So a few weeks ago, I copied these files to a directory of same name on a drive.... then, stored them to a CD labeled "Removed Files from the 660"
Now have a lot of space available.... and the files to restore it should I ever learn a foreign language... or have a sudden love for the pictures or music that I removed........ grin!

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

.

There's no harm in deleting unneeded voice files. You can later decide you need them you can always download them from Garmin's webupdater.

You can also delete unneeded text and vehicle files to free additional space.

Welcome to the World of Posting

PJGMIG. Do it once a week (or hopefully more) in the next two weeks as well and you will be able to download Red Light Camera POIs.

--
"It's not where you start, but where you end up." Where am I and what am I doing in this hand basket?

Garmin Nuvi - Deleting Files- Is this Dangerous

Panache wrote:

but copy them to your computer first as a backup just in case you delete something you need.

THANKS to ALL of you for your feedback... I will create a folder and moved them over there for future ref, as stated here..

Again..THANKS

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Document which lists the purpose of the various files on Garmin?

While the names are very suggestive, I would like to know what the file does before deleting it.

If you go to search Garmin

If you go to search Garmin support it will list things you can delete.Here is what I got for 265.

Question: How do I get more space on my nuvi for the map update?

Answer:
If you receive an error message stating, "There is not enough free space on your Garmin GPS, you need an additional XX MB on your Garmin GPS for the application to continue," please follow these steps to free up more space on your nuvi:

Connect the nuvi to the computer with a USB cable
Double-click My Computer or Computer on your desktop
Double-click on the GARMIN drive listed under devices with removable storage
Double-click on the Garmin folder
Double-click on the Voice folder
Delete any unused voice files (be sure to keep your preferred language)
Return to the Garmin folder
Repeat steps 5-7 with the Text and Help folders

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 wt and 2597 LMT.

file deleting

i have a 255. i use a sd for my poi. this saves the internal memory. you may delete a necessary file then you have to try to repair it

SD cards are cheap

peter5560 wrote:

i have a 255. i use a sd for my poi. this saves the internal memory. you may delete a necessary file then you have to try to repair it

I like the SD card approach myself, rather than deleting files from the GPS.

However, all of us ought to make a full backup of our GPS initially, and then after every update.

The thing is a hard drive. Hard drive get glitches.

sd for poi

jgermann wrote:
peter5560 wrote:

i have a 255. i use a sd for my poi. this saves the internal memory. you may delete a necessary file then you have to try to repair it

I like the SD card approach myself, rather than deleting files from the GPS.

However, all of us ought to make a full backup of our GPS initially, and then after every update.

The thing is a hard drive. Hard drive get glitches.

Good stuff:
Silly question how large a SD card does a person need ?

TIA...

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Deleted Voice Files

I deleted all the voice files on my 1390T except for the English speaking ones. I do have my unit backed up to a hard drive, so if I ever need to add any back, I have them. My 765T has plenty of storage space, so I haven't had to use an SD card yet. The 1390T doesn't have as much free space, so I will get an SD card for it soon.

4+ GB

PJGMIG wrote:
jgermann wrote:
peter5560 wrote:

i have a 255. i use a sd for my poi. this saves the internal memory. you may delete a necessary file then you have to try to repair it

I like the SD card approach myself, rather than deleting files from the GPS.

However, all of us ought to make a full backup of our GPS initially, and then after every update.

The thing is a hard drive. Hard drive get glitches.

Good stuff:
Silly question how large a SD card does a person need ?

TIA...

Many nuvi GPSes have a bit over 2GB of data on them out the box, so I'd look at a 4GB card or even bigger if you can find a good price on an 8 or bigger card. I'll also suggest that the SD card you buy be a micro card (with adapter, if needed) since it's likely that a future GPS purchase you'll make will require a micro-size SD card and using a micro card now will let you use your existing card in your next purchase.

As others have mentioned earlier, whether tinkering with nuvi files or not, it's always a good idea to back up your entire nuvi to a computer's hard drive so you at least have a chance of restoring a nuvi after deleting, moving or modifying an essential file that renders your nuvi a brick.

I do use a SD card in my nuvi, but only for a topo map that I occasionally use on Forest Roads when City Navigator isn't as good at that location. I let everything else reside in my nuvi.

How do I back up my entire

How do I back up my entire GPS? Can anybody give me step by step instructions?

Thanks.

--
Nuvi 765T.

suggest that the SD card you buy be a micro card (with adapter

GOOD IDEA...
"suggest that the SD card you buy be a micro card (with adapter, if needed) since it's likely that a future GPS purchase you'll make will require a micro-size SD card and using a micro card now will let you use your existing card in your next purchase."

Thanks again

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

BACKUP DEVICE

FIRST of all....I am no GURU... What I did was create a folder on my HD, called it garmin backup with date, e.g. GarminBkup 1-14-2010, then went to my NUVI opened it up and selected all and copied to the new folder.

Once Completed, I checked the # of files in each folder in the NUVI and Backup folder to be sure nothing was missed.

I'm sure there are better scenarios out there..

GOOD LUCK..

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

I also deleted all the voice

I also deleted all the voice files on my nuvi 350 except for the English.

Yes, cards are cheap

PJGMIG wrote:

GOOD IDEA...
"suggest that the SD card you buy be a micro card (with adapter, if needed) since it's likely that a future GPS purchase you'll make will require a micro-size SD card and using a micro card now will let you use your existing card in your next purchase."

Thanks again

But if your unit won't play MP3 files the largest you would ever need is about 128 MB for storing POI. A 1Gig card is way overkill.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

USER: thanks I use my GPS

USER: thanks

I use my GPS only for directions an of course the POIs.. Music or pics are not something I have any interst in at this time.. Someone mentioned about BLUETOOTH,, Will investigate it and see if that is something I can do ??

Certainly appreciate all the info on this forum.. THXs

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

even if

....you delete an important file, you can always get it back from Garmin's website.

--
TOMTOM - LG LN740 - Magellan Roadmate 1430 - Garmin Nüvi 255W

.

PJGMIG wrote:

USER: thanks

I use my GPS only for directions an of course the POIs.. Music or pics are not something I have any interst in at this time.. Someone mentioned about BLUETOOTH,, Will investigate it and see if that is something I can do ??

Nope, 255w doesn't have bluetooth or MP3 features. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13431&ra=true#specsT...

I really don't think you need an external SD card based on your reply.

You can

chewbacca wrote:
PJGMIG wrote:

USER: thanks

I use my GPS only for directions an of course the POIs.. Music or pics are not something I have any interst in at this time.. Someone mentioned about BLUETOOTH,, Will investigate it and see if that is something I can do ??

Nope, 255w doesn't have bluetooth or MP3 features. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13431&ra=true#specsT...

I really don't think you need an external SD card based on your reply.

You can view photos or add POI's to the SD card, that's pretty much it.

--
TOMTOM - LG LN740 - Magellan Roadmate 1430 - Garmin Nüvi 255W

Maps.

Additional maps can also go on a SD card. If you were interested in that, you would want a data card with sufficiently large capacity.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

SD CARD

Is a mapsource something that one would consider putting on a SD CARD...

THX..

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

No.

Mapsource is a program for Windows. You would install it on your computer's hard drive.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

You don't put mapsource on

You don't put mapsource on your GPS device or SD card. Mapsource is designed for Windows computers.

Chewbacca, thanks for

Chewbacca, Alanb.. thanks for confirming, that is where it lives today on the PC.

So mapsource is just used for routing and when you have completed it they way you want it, use use your GPS with via/waypoints for your own designed route ?

Thanks

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Routing

On the 2x5 series, Mapsource is of limited use as a routing tool, since the 2x5 nuvi's can not save or import routes. Mapsource is installed by default as an intermediate step during map upgrade. You can use Mapsource to transfer waypoints (favorites) to and from your nuvi. So it is possible to plan a route on Mapsoure, save the significant route points (start, stop, and via's) as waypoints, import the waypoins into your nuvi as favorites, then finally manualy construct the multi-point route on your nuvi using these favorites.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

MAPSOURCE-Waypoint/Viapoints

alandb wrote:

On the 2x5 series, Mapsource is of limited use as a routing tool, since the 2x5 nuvi's can not save or import routes. Mapsource is installed by default as an intermediate step during map upgrade. You can use Mapsource to transfer waypoints (favorites) to and from your nuvi. So it is possible to plan a route on Mapsoure, save the significant route points (start, stop, and via's) as waypoints, import the waypoins into your nuvi as favorites, then finally construct a multi-point route using the favorites.

Wow.. You are very knowledgeable, can I just send you my NUVI and let you plan my trip from NC to CA.... LOL..

Seriously..thank you for the info.

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Good luck on your trip.

Most people find on nuvi's like the 255, it is easiest to just use favorites and navigate each route segment independently rather than trying to create a multipoint route that can't be saved and recalled. But you might want to play around with it ahead of time in simulation mode to see what you think.

For pre-planning multipoint routes, there are other models that are more suitable.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Alanb.. planning: for

Alanb.. planning: for instance campgrounds, Reststops, Gas stations w/Diesel, Walmarts etc.. I plan on driving approx 4 to 6 hrs per/day depending on traffic and road conditions.

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Your 255W will work well

Your 255W will work well for that. I would treat each day as an independent route. Just make sure you load all the good POI files from here before you leave smile

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

GARMIN working with MAPSOURCE ...

alandb wrote:

Your 255W will work well for that. I would treat each day as an independent route. Just make sure you load all the good POI files from here before you leave smile

Alanb, you can see I have been away from the forum for a few weeks.. Working w/MapSource first time, big learning curve. for my long trip, I have taken the advice and broken it up to DAY 1,,,,,DAY2 .....etc

As far as taking some of the Detailed info from Mapsource to the GARMIN, such as KOA Campgrounds and rest stops that is another challenge.

Suggestions anyone ?

As always I appreciate your input.

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Mapsource and POI.

Transferring favorites and waypoints from Mapsource makes sense, but there is no reason to transfer POI files from Mapsource. Just use POI Loader to load the POI files downloaded from POI Factory directly to the nuvi.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

POI Loader Files in folder=Extra

alandb wrote:

Just use POI Loader to load the POI files downloaded from POI Factory directly to the nuvi.

Hi...I did that, and the files (POI's) went into a folder called Extras ??

What did I do wrong ?

TIA

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

Nothing at all

That's where Custom POI's go...Extras

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Extra FOLDER ON GARMIN

Juggernaut wrote:

That's where Custom POI's go...Extras

Juggernaut..thank you...

--
Thank You Happy & Safe Travels PJGMIG Nuvi 465T

deleting files

watch for the sales on sd cards . i bought 3 4gb class 6 cards for 21.00 . gave 2 to the wife for her camera and stuck 1 in my garmin .it gives you tons of room.
mike

Where to...

.... find these files. I unfortunately deleted som files from my Nüvi 670 to have space for updated maps. Now I cant update maps using Garmin Map Update.

Any sugestions?

sponsored links