Mounting GPS Legally

 

I recently purchased a Nuvi 660 and plan to use it on vacations and trips. One caution I noted was that in California and (I think) Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything on the windshield via a suction cup. Using the Nuvi 660 in mobile mode and in rental cars, that would be the first alternative. However, the legal alternative I used was purchase of a "sticky pad", adhering that to the vinyl dash, and then mounting the suction cup mount for the Nuvi on that sticky pad. Works like a charm. I purchased the sticky pad from Amazon.com online. For those who've not seen them, they are black, about 4" by 7", and mount on vinyl dash only. They are washable, reusable, non-magnetic, moveable. Mine was made by American Covers, Inc., Amazon item # AMR 13800, and cost 3.99 each plus S&H. I bought 4 for $22.00 total. This also allows me to avoid the permanent adhesive problem of mounting the Garmin dash circle. Hope this helps.

I've read that in Minnesota

I've read that in Minnesota that windshield mounting is illegal, however, I've always had my radar detector mounted via suction cups and it's never been a problem. I've even had a cop in the truck with me and he didn't say a thing.

I would have to believe that the odds of getting in trouble for anything like this would be remote at best, particularly for someone with out of state plates. The most they would do is give you a warning. ...just my opinion.

That said, I have used this mount by Pro-Fit before:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/UltiMount/
and it's fantastic. I used it for a ham radio faceplate, but I'd think it'd work great for a GPS as well. The really nice thing about this is that it can easily be swiveled so the passenger can see it.

They have many other mounting options available as well.

Can you post a digital pic?

bdwyman wrote:

However, the legal alternative I used was purchase of a "sticky pad", adhering that to the vinyl dash, and then mounting the suction cup mount for the Nuvi on that sticky pad. Works like a charm.

Can you post a digital pic of what it looks like? Because I'm wondering how the whole thing doesn't tip over while driving.

--
My GPS history: Been using TomTom Navigator and Bluetooth receiver with my Pocket PC since 2003. Just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 350 March 27, 2007 and am curious to dive in and see the difference. Stay tuned!

Vent clip

I have also seen a vent clip with the black plastic disk attached to it on ebay. I think it was about $12, maybe this would be also easy if you need to relocate your gps often.

I may be wrong, however,

I may be wrong, however, most states have laws somewhere in the books that says that you can't have anything on the windshield. I know that VA does. They usually won't stop you or cite you, unless they want to get you for something. Sorta like it is against the law to not use turn signal. It appears that CA and the other state are just very strict about it.

I have heard ppl getting pulled over for having their radar detectors on the windshield, only because cops don't particularly like them and want to get you for something.

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

Sticky Pad

I'm in California and I am not supposed to use the suction cup on the windshield. I eliminated the idea of using a vent clip after talking to folks who complained about the mount breaking the vent. Per bdwyman's suggestion, found a small Sticky Pad at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $4.99. Combined with the Garmin suction cup, it indeed works like a charm. No adhesives, easy to store and it holds like a miracle.

Only note to be aware of from the Stick Pad instructions is not to leave it on the dash for extended periods of time - since it is protecting the dash from sunlight, it it possible that the as the sun "bleaches" the dash, the area under the stick pad would remain untouched and leave a silhouette of the Stick Pad. Thanks for the suggestion, bdwyman.

Is it like the one at J & R

Is it like the one at J & R for $3.99?

--
nüvi 660 & 670 - Hello I'm a Mac :))

like the one at J & R for $3.99?

Is it like the one at J & R for $3.99?

CLICK

--
nüvi 660 & 670 - Hello I'm a Mac :))

Mounting GPS

I have a Garmin 660 and have mounted it in the center vent system of my car. Do a Google on Mount Guys and visit the site. They sell plenty of excellent mounts for non windshield mounting. Ebay has plenty of options also.

--
JG - Nuvi 2460

No

amontman wrote:

Is it like the one at J & R for $3.99?

CLICK

No. Those friction pads are just used to keep small items from sliding off the dash. I have seen them in office supply stores. It doesn't look like it will support the weight of the receiver and its mount.

Actually, Yes!

This Sticky Pad is the same one I am using - holds the Garmin 350 and the Garmin suction mount with no worries.

I have also seen a vent clip ...

Bought one of these, didn't work worth a d**n! I have a Volvo. and all it did was rattle around. I pitched it in the trunk, it's been ther ever since.

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

This Sticky Pad

navig486 wrote:

This Sticky Pad is the same one I am using - holds the Garmin 350 and the Garmin suction mount with no worries.

Ok then... For a few bucks i'll find one and try it. Will let you know:)

--
nüvi 660 & 670 - Hello I'm a Mac :))

Alternative mounting - if your car has these...

As per my post in Creative Mounting...

I have a Nuvi 670 and not wanting to damage or drill into the dash to mount it AND wanting to keep it out of the sun (Summers are +45 deg C in the shade!)
I found a plastic jar which fitted snugly into the cup holders in the center console just below the dash.
I stuck the mounting disk on to the lid and then suction mounted the stand onto that.
Unit is now shielded from the sun mostly, is easily accessible and I have a jar for all my loose coins!
On the odd occasion reception is lost but I reckon I have 95% uptime with 9-5m accuracy.

--
Nuvi 715 (Sucks), Nuvi 670 (dead)& Garmin GPS 72. South African living Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The Plastic jar Trick

Thanks for the plastic jar idea. We just received our nuvi 660 and were having fits finding a flat spot to mount it(don't they know that most dashes are now curved?). Try the Jif peanut butter jar - the small one without the JIF logo on top. Fits perfect, no jarring. Only issue is I can't put the car in park!!! Which is just a well anyway, need to put the GPS away anyway whenever we park.

--
Steve

Great!!

Hi Steve,

Glad could assist you with that.
Also had my head turning inside out trying to figure a good place to mount the GPS until the brainwave hit me with a baseball bat.

So very glad to have been a help.
Also a bit X-file'ish as my nickname at school was 'Jif'!!!
Long story - don't ask!!! wink

--
Nuvi 715 (Sucks), Nuvi 670 (dead)& Garmin GPS 72. South African living Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Thanks

I will try it.

--
nuvi660

garmin sells bean bag weighted friction pad mount

i live in california and see people driving with suction cup mounts all the time, although it is illegal. i didnt want to use suction cups, because i dont want a ticket. also if theives see that or even if you remove the suction cup mount and they see suction cup marks on your window, they are going to break in and look for the gps. my friend got his car broken into twice and had his gps stolen twice, even when the gps was hidden. also if you use the little adhesive disk, theives will see that and break in.

this is what i use. its 39.99 from best buy. and when i leave my truck, i hide the mount so its not visible and also take the gps with me. never leave it in your car.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8231861&st=gar...

Friction Pad Mount

I have recenly purchased one, was a bit skeptical at first, but it has worked like a charm

--
kingly

same here, Pics please

Same curiosity here. Can you please post pics to show how the sticky pad won't get tipped over? Thx.

TigerDave wrote:
bdwyman wrote:

However, the legal alternative I used was purchase of a "sticky pad", adhering that to the vinyl dash, and then mounting the suction cup mount for the Nuvi on that sticky pad. Works like a charm.

Can you post a digital pic of what it looks like? Because I'm wondering how the whole thing doesn't tip over while driving.

Sticky Pad Photos

bdwyman wrote: I recently

bdwyman wrote:

I recently purchased a Nuvi 660 and plan to use it on vacations and trips. One caution I noted was that in California and (I think) Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything on the windshield via a suction cup. Using the Nuvi 660 in mobile mode and in rental cars, that would be the first alternative. However, the legal alternative I used was purchase of a "sticky pad", adhering that to the vinyl dash, and then mounting the suction cup mount for the Nuvi on that sticky pad. Works like a charm. I purchased the sticky pad from Amazon.com online. For those who've not seen them, they are black, about 4" by 7", and mount on vinyl dash only. They are washable, reusable, non-magnetic, moveable. Mine was made by American Covers, Inc., Amazon item # AMR 13800, and cost 3.99 each plus S&H. I bought 4 for $22.00 total. This also allows me to avoid the permanent adhesive problem of mounting the Garmin dash circle. Hope this helps.

we are a sticky pad manufacture in China. if you have any doubs,please contact us.

Felix
www.non-slip-pad.cn

--
www.non-slip-pad.cn

Isn't it ironic that these

Isn't it ironic that these states prohibit putting a GPS mount on the windshield because it might "obstruct vision" when every single car on their road already has a big object stuck in the middle of the windshield - called a REAR VIEW MIRROR. You know, someone is going to start pushing to have those removed as well.

Not only that, have you ever

Not only that, have you ever looked in a squad car to see all the distracting electronics within the drivers view?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/police-cars-3.jpg

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

OK in California now

Since the beginning of 2009, it's legal to mount a GPS on the windshield in California, but it must be at the lower left corner or lower right corner, not center as many people would have it:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/09/california_lifts_ban_on_w...

I use a friction mount instead.

My 2 cents . . . .

lenny7 wrote:

I've read that in Minnesota that windshield mounting is illegal, however, I've always had my radar detector mounted via suction cups and it's never been a problem. I've even had a cop in the truck with me and he didn't say a thing.

It is still illegal to mount anything on the windshield in Minnesota that is not authorized by the state. If you had a radar detector and you have a commercial vehicle (you just said truck) you actually broke two laws, 1. the windshield mount law and 2. it is illegal for any commercial vehicle to have a radar detector (all states). The reason for the windshield law which I agree with is that if it falls off, which alot of people here have complained about, a big distraction while driving. The second reason which I disagree with is obstruction of view.

If your willing to give up a cup holder you can go to any hardware store and get a PVC pipe cap that fits into the cup holder and mount the GPS on it. Works good for me.

--
Looking for a place to go this summer? Try Oshkosh, WI, July 20-26, 2015. The largest gathering of aircraft in the world. http://www.airventure.org/index.html

mounting

ive read a few states would give you ticket for the revenue if nothing else .i gave my son my bean bag with the nuvi 650 because he was going to california .
i mounted mine to the bean bag to avoid any issues with any state.
mike

For our safety? I don't think so

sire1234 wrote:

Isn't it ironic that these states prohibit putting a GPS mount on the windshield because it might "obstruct vision" when every single car on their road already has a big object stuck in the middle of the windshield - called a REAR VIEW MIRROR. You know, someone is going to start pushing to have those removed as well.

I have exactly the same opinion. Why not make rear view mirror illegal while they're at it? But then I think the law was passed to generate more revenue for the state. It isn't about safety issue. That's BS.

bilson wrote:

The reason for the windshield law which I agree with is that if it falls off, which alot of people here have complained about, a big distraction while driving.

You think so? In CA, it's legal to mount a GPS on windshield as long as it's mounted in a 5" square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver. If the device falls off, it's guaranteed that it'll fall on the driver area. You think that won't distract the driver?

Dashboard mount

mrpkd wrote:

i gave my son my bean bag with the nuvi 650 because he was going to california .
i mounted mine to the bean bag to avoid any issues with any state.
mike

That falls under the gray area of the law if the bean bag sits on the dasboard. Technically, it can be considered as an obtruction of view. To be fair, California GPS mounting law is rarely enforced. I still see quite a few cars with GPS mounted in the middle of their windshield, under the rear view mirror.

Somehow I get the feeling that this time they'll be more aggressive going after violators because the state of CA is running out of money. Scaaarryy...

Much better.........NOT

ifse wrote:

but it must be at the lower left corner or lower right corner,

Yes sir, the politicians got it right again.

Put it WAY over on the right side where you have to take your attention ENTIRELY off the road to see it
.....OR.....
put it over on the left side where you must drape the power cord across the steering column.....so that when you reach for the cruse control or wipers or radio volume or make a 90 degree turn, your hand will snag the cord and cause a big time distraction.

I think it is time that elected officials must pass an IQ test. Anything above MORON would be better than what we are getting now.

Oh, and on the original subject, I have a "vent mount" for mine and it seems to work out fine.
I would expect they have similar for Garmins.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

Bean Bag mount

When I bought my Nuvi 750, I got a free bean bag dashboard mount. Works like a charm. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Navigator-D...

It works with anything that has a suction cup mount. Real easy to move from one car tot he next. I think they sell for around 15-20 on the net. My dash is wavy and this fits perfect in one spot. I tried it out in my mom's car, which has a flat dash, and it never moved. No complaints.

Law in CA

According to the CA law that I read in the newspaper, you can't mount anything to the windshield except in in a 4" square in the lower left or lower right hand corner of the windshield, as long as it doesn't obstruct your view. This was passed 1/1/2009. There's no specific law stating anything about mounting to the dashboard but if you mount something to the dashboard, it can't obstruct your view of the road. I have a friend at work that didn't believe me because he thought he would have heard something like that before so he researched it himself and verified it to be true.

What

chewbacca wrote:
bilson wrote:

The reason for the windshield law which I agree with is that if it falls off, which alot of people here have complained about, a big distraction while driving.

You think so? In CA, it's legal to mount a GPS on windshield as long as it's mounted in a 5" square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver. If the device falls off, it's guaranteed that it'll fall on the driver area. You think that won't distract the driver?

Da, why don't you read my post. Did I state anything about CA? I think I said that if it falls off it would but a problem. What are you smoking?

--
Looking for a place to go this summer? Try Oshkosh, WI, July 20-26, 2015. The largest gathering of aircraft in the world. http://www.airventure.org/index.html

why not a bean bag mount?

Have you given any thought to a bean bag mount? Sure it costs more than the sticky pads but the bean bag is a one time cost.

Continuing on with my

Continuing on with my thought about the GPS mounting issue, I noticed a couple of comments about the driver being distracted if the unit falls off the windshield. I had to laugh because I thought of all the time I spend glancing down at my unit for information. Having the voice minimizes that, but I have to admit that I enjoy looking at the map display to see where I'm at, what direction the road ahead is going turn, and how far I am from my next turn point. I suspect if I were truthful, that is probably a LOT more distracting than a "remote possibility that the GPS MIGHT fall off a windshield". And while I'm on the topic, what about those states that require stickers all over your windshield. And how many states are going to prohibit the use of the expressway toll units (e.g. EZ-PASS) that get stuck to the windshield too.

It's way more fun watching

It's way more fun watching people search on the GPS for an address while driving. The same moron rule should apply to them and the guys constantly searching for "that" song on their IPod while driving...

I still see 90% of the people driving with a cellphone stuck to their ear! They can't afford the $5 for a corded mic/ear bud or the $25 for a bluetooth. Still bad to try and talk on the phone while driving, but it is better than reaching into the back seat and finding the babies bottle while driving!!!

Takes all kinds...

.

visiter555 wrote:

I still see 90% of the people driving with a cellphone stuck to their ear! They can't afford the $5 for a corded mic/ear bud or the $25 for a bluetooth. Still bad to try and talk on the phone while driving, but it is better than reaching into the back seat and finding the babies bottle while driving!!!

I personally think that talking on cell phone isn't that big a deal. Sure we have 1 less hand to use because of the phone. But seriously, that's not as dangerous as dialling a number or searching through phonebook. That's when we completely take eyes off the road to make sure we got the correct number or name.

Mounting GPS Legally

I believe you are right about Minnesota, but definitly right about Calif....but hold it now...starting Jan 1st 2009 Calif. now allows you to mount your GPS on the windshield legally in two places. One location is a 7" x 7" section on the lower right side windshield, and the other is a 5" x 7" area on the lower left side windshield.

I've been using the lower left side and it works out just fine for me. Check it out, see if it's good for you.