Moab Utah - White Wash Sand Dunes Trail
Raw file: c02_white_wash_sand_dunes.gpx (4.57 KB)
Few OHV experiences can rival the fun of riding an ATV in Utah’s Moab backcountry. An endless variety of undulating and challenging terrain combined with spectacular scenery provide an unforgettable experience.
It’s easy to find your way around the small town of Moab. Main St (Hwy 191) runs north and south all the way through town. Center St and Main St, where Moab Information Center is located, marks the center of town. If you need lodging or camping, it is a good idea to call well in advance.
There are several places in Moab to rent ATV’s. Check www.discovermoab.com/autorental.htm for latest information or just drive down Main St. You should check Utah’s OHV Laws (http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/ohv) or call 800-648-7433.
Using your GPS for each trail
I have included Way Points for the trail. Also, in the description below, I have included complete instructions on the trail. I would print or copy the instructions off if you plan on using these Way Points.
White Wash Sand Dunes Trail
Highlights: Moab-colored sand and red rock blend together to create this beautiful and popular ATV riding area. Most of the area is easy to moderate riding.
Getting There: From Moab, take Hwy 191 north about 30 miles to Interstate 70. Go west about 7 miles to Exit 175 (some maps have this as 173). Head south on Ruby Ranch Rd. After 4.1 miles continue straight under power lines. Bear left in another 3.5 miles past the staging area for Crystal Geyser. Go another 4.1 miles past oil well tanks and turn left downhill on a major road. The entrance to the dunes is on the left in another 0.3 miles.
- Staging (mile 0) – Follow a good road southeast downhill toward White Wash
- (miles 0.3) – Road bends left as it goes past parking and camping area. Road gets rougher as it descends. More camping at bottom of hill for high-clearance campers.
- WP1 (miles 0.9) – Descend to bottom and enter wash. Continue straight across wash to main part of dunes or turn right to follow wash south. Turn left to follow wash north into canyons.
- WP2 (miles 3.2) – Canyon splits after heading north in wash. Right side is longer and more interesting. Both canyons dead end. Return the way you came.
- Staging (mile 0) – To reach the starting point for trails in the Dee Pass area, head north from the staging area.
- (miles 0.3) – Turn right, staying on main road
- (miles 4.4) – Stay right on the main road past the parking/staging area for Crystal Geyser
- WP3 (miles 4.5) – Watch for a small road on the right about 0.1 miles after a cattle guard. The turn is before you cross Salt Wash. Note: Once on the trail, head south on the most traveled route. A road soon goes left to Dee Pass. If you continue south, the trail crosses a broad, flat area, then turns left and crosses a fun stretch of rocky, difficult terrain. After approximately 5.3 miles, the trail ends at Tenmile Point Rd