Nuvi 765t V 2.50 posted

 

FYI

Changes from version 2.20 to version 2.50:
Enhanced map drawing performance and reliability
Enhanced BT audio, connectivity and phonebook support
Inhibit display of the proximity warning over the Lane Assist view
Added additional checks so that Yards is used only for the UK locale
Updated text for the display of street prefixes in Europe
Corrected roundabout angle display in the next turn indicator
Corrected incorrect country code dialing
Corrected some issues that could make the unit's touch screen non-responsive
Corrected issue with warnings about locked GPI files
Corrected issue with Hungarian QWERTY keyboard layout
Corrected several issues with third party map compatibility
Added Fleet Management Interface support

765T

who is going to be the first!!!

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

Ahhh...

the "bleeding" edge of technology, don't ya love it. wink

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

765T

GULP, HERE GOES NOTHING!!! i am going in , wish me luck, notify loved ones if i dont make it!! smile

maybe Miss POi will give me a Purple Heart Badge smile

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

765T

OK, the update fix's some things with my unit, i can connect now bluetooth, it also is a bit faster map redraw, but that was fast to start with, i took it out for a small test all works great so FAR, time will tell!!!

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

Update Hero

werskine wrote:

maybe Miss POi will give me a Purple Heart Badge smile

It is so nice to have a moose in the pack that will charge ahead and make sure the way is safe for the rest of us.

You are our update hero;)

Miss POI

755t

werskine wrote:

who is going to be the first!!!

i love being a guinnie pig

--
nuvi 755t

765T

miss poi wrote:
werskine wrote:

maybe Miss POi will give me a Purple Heart Badge smile

It is so nice to have a moose in the pack that will charge ahead and make sure the way is safe for the rest of us.

You are our update hero;)

Miss POI

moose,or a bull in a China shop same same smile

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

A warning for werskine.....

miss poi wrote:
werskine wrote:

maybe Miss POi will give me a Purple Heart Badge smile

It is so nice to have a moose in the pack that will charge ahead and make sure the way is safe for the rest of us.

You are our update hero;)

Miss POI

Sarah Palin is back, so keep out of her cross hairs, we need ya!

Be Well,
and beware of flyin' lead.
Rayzers

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

765T

that was a GREAT one!! smile

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

.

Kind of scary when it says "Garmin Update, Erasing"

I like the progress counter they have now.

I just loaded it on my 755 and I like what I've played with. I'll try it on the road tonight. It used to hesitate at times when going from one screen to another. Now it's a lot smoother and consistent. One error on a redraw when previewing a route is now gone.

These also pop up for updates but I skipped them.

Firmware Update for GTMxxTraffic Receiver
Firmware Update for GD8xx MSN Direct Receiver
GPS Chipset Type M
Voice, Danish Ida (TTS)(v)
Traffic, Text, All Languages
Text, Proximity Alerts, All languages

--
Eat at Joes.

additional updates

Racer X wrote:

These also pop up for updates but I skipped them.

Firmware Update for GTMxxTraffic Receiver
Firmware Update for GD8xx MSN Direct Receiver
GPS Chipset Type M
Voice, Danish Ida (TTS)(v)
Traffic, Text, All Languages
Text, Proximity Alerts, All languages

It's likely that those are all safe to update.

I have heard of the proximity alert text being very small and hard to read on the 7x5T series. Perhaps the Proximity Alert Text update as listed above increases the font size so they are now more visible/readable.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Custom Icon Problem

I've noticed that some of the custom icons I use for ATM-Co-Op and McDonalds, they are now green since I've updated. I'm going to redownload the icons and run POI loader again.

--
Eat at Joes.

Hooves don't fail me now..

werskine wrote:
miss poi wrote:
werskine wrote:

maybe Miss POi will give me a Purple Heart Badge smile

It is so nice to have a moose in the pack that will charge ahead and make sure the way is safe for the rest of us.

You are our update hero;)

Miss POI

moose,or a bull in a China shop same same smile

GO..GO..Gadget! grin

--
END_OF_LINE

Icon Problem Fixed

The problem with the icons is that after installing these updates, it will not load a RGB icon properly. I converted the icons to 8bit Indexed color and now they work fine.

Before this update, RGB worked fine. Oh well, at least it was an easy fix.

--
Eat at Joes.

Upgrade

I was already at 2.30 when I started.

I loaded the update and was unable to pair my phone for quite awhile. Finally I managed to pair it from the phone, which I was unable to do before, but it previously paired fine from the GPS.

It added the call log, but removed my voice dialing which I'll miss dearly, since there's no contact list.

It didn't seem to increase the low volume of the unit either.

Working Now!

I guess I spoke too soon. I started up my 765 again and all of a sudden voice dialing and my contact list show up!

Seems like I have the whole shebang now if it stays there.

Happy day!

Hallelujah!

Re: Working Now

Maybe I did speak too soon. Took a little ride today and after using the phone, it cut the sound completely again. Had to turn it off and back on to hear anything.

Wife went with me and she agrees the 755T we had for a short while sounded quite a bit louder.

Quote: Enhanced map drawing

Quote:

Enhanced map drawing performance and reliability

Will have to see how much improved the map redraw is. I have gotten a "blank" a few times when I select the map option after I select a location, if they are related.

Can anyone confirm a change in the size of the alert text?

DorkusNimrod wrote:
Racer X wrote:

These also pop up for updates but I skipped them.

Firmware Update for GTMxxTraffic Receiver
Firmware Update for GD8xx MSN Direct Receiver
GPS Chipset Type M
Voice, Danish Ida (TTS)(v)
Traffic, Text, All Languages
Text, Proximity Alerts, All languages

It's likely that those are all safe to update.

I have heard of the proximity alert text being very small and hard to read on the 7x5T series. Perhaps the Proximity Alert Text update as listed above increases the font size so they are now more visible/readable.

I only need glasses for PC reading, serial numbers, etc., but not for driving...in fact I could not safely drive with the over the counter reading glasses that I need for the PC...but I cannot read the alert text on my 765T as it appears "out of the box" version 2.30...I would like to wait until after I return from my Christmas holiday trip to upgrade the firmware, just in case something goes wrong...but if the alert text has indeed been increased, as DorkusNimrod suggests it may have, I would reconsider.

Has anyone updated to 2.50 on their 765T, and can tell me if the alert text increased?

Jim

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

I have the 765 and paired it

I have the 765 and paired it with my LG VX 9900 and It loads my telephone numbers from my phone to the 765 but instead of transferring the names that go with the numbers, it just says "UNKNOWN". With my 680, it transferred the number and name. Without the names to go with the 100 numbers, it makes it pretty useless to even have the numbers. I'll just have to dial from the phone.

no alert size difference here

jim8650 wrote:

Has anyone updated to 2.50 on their 765T, and can tell me if the alert text increased?

I now have access to a 765 (family member's) and can comment first-hand on the 765 again.

With the test units I no longer have, I did the 2.5 firmware update along with the text updates and saw no difference in the alert text.

New unit: The 2.5 firmware update was NOT installed, however the text updates were installed (*see below) and again I saw no difference. I even went so far as measuring the alert box at a certain redlight camera location and saw no measured difference before or after the text update.

*There is a quite simple way to bypass updating the firmware but still update other aspects of the unit. We're staying at v2.30 for the time being.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

thanks

DorkusNimrod wrote:
jim8650 wrote:

Has anyone updated to 2.50 on their 765T, and can tell me if the alert text increased?

I now have access to a 765 (family member's) and can comment first-hand on the 765 again.

With the test units I no longer have, I did the 2.5 firmware update along with the text updates and saw no difference in the alert text.

New unit: The 2.5 firmware update was NOT installed, however the text updates were installed (*see below) and again I saw no difference. I even went so far as measuring the alert box at a certain redlight camera location and saw no measured difference before or after the text update.

*There is a quite simple way to bypass updating the firmware but still update other aspects of the unit. We're staying at v2.30 for the time being.

not sure that I follow what you mean by:

*There is a quite simple way to bypass updating the firmware but still update other aspects of the unit.

you mean that it is self explanatory when you run webupdater?

I briefly went through the steps up to where it looked like if I proceeded, I would not be able to go back, and I never saw the mention of the "text, proximity, all language" choice.

or there is an explanation of the trick/tip in another thread on here?

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

.

jim8650 wrote:

not sure that I follow what you mean by:

*There is a quite simple way to bypass updating the firmware but still update other aspects of the unit.

you mean that it is self explanatory when you run webupdater?

I've posted the procedure previously but couldn't find it. Here it is again.

Run WebUpdater as usual & allow it to proceed normally. -If- an update for your unit software was found, this update is not actually flashed to the nuvi until it is disconnected from the PC and is power cycled despite what WebUpdater tells you. The file that actually performs the update is downloaded, then copied to the nuvi drive into the x:/Garmin folder and is named GUPDATE.GCD. As long as this file is *deleted* from the nuvi after running WebUpdater and *before* the nuvi is disconnected from the PC and power cycled, no update will occur.

If an update for your unit was NOT found via WebUpdater, this file should not be on the nuvi drive in the x:/Garmin folder and you need not worry about a new firmware update being applied against your will.

Using this method allows you to use WebUpdater to check for additional updates (such as GPS Chipset, Bluetooth, Voice, text, etc *if available*) without updating the unit software. The reason for staying at a particular unit software version is if you currently have no problems with the unit but a newer unit software "update" has other reported issues & bugs that are worse than the older version.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

excellent tip

thanks for sharing again.

printed for future reference.

where else would I be able to learn something like this?...certainly not from Garmin. confused

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

Nuvi 765T

Ya know. It really gets to me that this is a new Garmin unit and they already have to issue updates to the software especially the amount listed in the initial posting. They clearly could have had more of these issues resolved before the unit release date. Now everyone is becoming skeptical about download the changes to their units. Me included!

--
JG - Nuvi 2460

I hear ya...

I usually follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, and since my 765T seems to be behaving fine right now, I am not gonna mess with any update.

I will wait to see what the one following 2.50 offers.

arrow (or wait for a few more brave souls here) rolleyes

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

running 2.50 - all good

been running w/2.50 for awhile ... no problems

2.50

I'm very greatful for this update. It changed my Samsung SCH-U520 from having just a voice dialing option to having the phonebook, call log, etc.

Seems to work great. As far as my previous posts, I haven't had the sound cut out in quite awhile now.