TomTom how to

 

OK, I'm a twit.
Apparently, to be active on this site, I have to contribute.

I've looked and cannot find information that I can understand on how I would post a POI. I am using a TomTom XL330 and a Macbook Pro. I did see a post that involved Microsoft Excel, but that's of no use to me.

In fact, I haven't downloaded any POIs since I haven't figured that out either. I spent enough time with TomTom support already. Seems the Mac throws everybody for a loop.

A lot of what I've found so far use terms or abbreviations that I am not familiar with.

Where do I go to find POI for Idiots?

baglo

sponsored links

I don't have a TomTom......

gbaglo wrote:

OK, I'm a twit.
Apparently, to be active on this site, I have to contribute.

I've looked and cannot find information that I can understand on how I would post a POI. I am using a TomTom XL330 and a Macbook Pro. I did see a post that involved Microsoft Excel, but that's of no use to me.

In fact, I haven't downloaded any POIs since I haven't figured that out either. I spent enough time with TomTom support already. Seems the Mac throws everybody for a loop.

A lot of what I've found so far use terms or abbreviations that I am not familiar with.

Where do I go to find POI for Idiots?

baglo

I don't have a TomTom, but maybe you could start here..........

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6661

POI's and TT

Welcome to the site! I have a TomTom 930 but I use a PC, I also use POI Editor to create POI's http://www.poieditor.com/ I'm not sure if POI Editor is MAC compatible or not. You don't need Excel to create or edit POI files, but you can get Mac versions of Excel online (some of them free).

It took me a while to get the hang of creating and sharing POI's, turns out I was making ALOT more of the process then what it actually is.

Read the node that was suggested in the prior posting, if you have questions feel free to post them here.

Rick

--
tomtom GO930

Welcome

gbaglo wrote:

I spent enough time with TomTom support already. Seems the Mac throws everybody for a loop.

A lot of what I've found so far use terms or abbreviations that I am not familiar with.

baglo

Welcome aboard! If you've been spending time with Tom Tom support then you'll want to spend some time here: www.tomtomforums.com (it's the un-official TomTom web site)! You should be able to find even more help/tips for using a TomTom with a Mac. wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! In Memoriam: #77 NYPD-SCA/Seattle Mike/Joe S./Vinny D./RTC...and God bless Donald Trump!

Excel work-alike

gbaglo wrote:

OK, I'm a twit.
Apparently, to be active on this site, I have to contribute.

I've looked and cannot find information that I can understand on how I would post a POI. I am using a TomTom XL330 and a Macbook Pro. I did see a post that involved Microsoft Excel, but that's of no use to me.

In fact, I haven't downloaded any POIs since I haven't figured that out either. I spent enough time with TomTom support already. Seems the Mac throws everybody for a loop.

A lot of what I've found so far use terms or abbreviations that I am not familiar with.

Where do I go to find POI for Idiots?

baglo

Try Open Office for a complete suite of Microsoft Office compatible programs. They are free from www.openoffice.org. (If I remember the site correctly - you can always search for it.)

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

~

I am playing with a XL330 myself...picked one up for a very reasonable price... because I wanted to see what I was missing. And, I'm relatively new to Mac as well.

Creating a CSV file is no big deal - you can do it with Mac's Numbers program, or Mac Office, or Open Office - the trick is getting the CSV file converted to the TomTom native format - with the ov2 file extension. I've not found a Mac program that can deal with that. So I went back to my Windows, and used POI Edit. If you're running windows on your mac with VMware or Paralells - you'll need POI Edit - with that, you can batch convert existing CSV files to ov2, and then load them into the map directory on your XL330 - and they show up in the POI categories when trying to use them on routes. I successfully imported the same custom POI files from my Nuvi to the XL330, and even made & saved an itinerary. Will play with it more this week, and see how performance compares to the Nuvi.

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Whaaaaat?

kch50428 wrote:

I am playing with a XL330 myself...picked one up for a very reasonable price... because I wanted to see what I was missing. And, I'm relatively new to Mac as well.

Welcome to the OTHER SIDE Keith! wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! In Memoriam: #77 NYPD-SCA/Seattle Mike/Joe S./Vinny D./RTC...and God bless Donald Trump!

My experience so far

Mike L. wrote:
kch50428 wrote:

I am playing with a XL330 myself...picked one up for a very reasonable price... because I wanted to see what I was missing. And, I'm relatively new to Mac as well.

Welcome to the OTHER SIDE Keith! wink

Mike

There are things I like about the TomTom... the status bar for one.

However, I find Nuvis TTS voices to be more "personable" than TomTom's tts/computer voices. And Nuvis maps seem to be higher resolution - crisper.

And in case anyone is wondering, the celebrity voices you can download from TomTom are not TTS - just generic.

Still trying to get a hang on the routes on TomTom - one thing I've noticed is the ETA it calculates is way off until getting more than 2/3rds of the way into it - a route I drive regularly when I put it into the TomTom gives me an eta of about two hours - reality takes about 90 minutes.

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*