Zumo 450 & 550 "SDHC" Compatible?

 

Perhaps I've missed the answer to this elsewhere, and if so I apologize. My wife and I currently have 2GB SD cards in our Zumo 450 and Zumo 550. We would like to increase our capacity, and in looking to do so have found all 4GB SD cards are labled "SDHC", and bear a warning that they are only to be utilized in "SDHC Compatible" devices. Before shelling out the $$$ for a couple of cards I may not be able to use, I'd thought I'd ask: Are the Zumo 450 and Zumo 55o "SDHC" Compatible? What are other folks using for higher capacity?
Thanks

.

The 3.0 firmware update added support for SDHC cards.

Many people have successfully used 8GB cards and a few have reported using 16GB cards, although for the life of me, I can't figure out why you would need a card that big with the Zumo.

What are you looking to put on the card?

I guess for music, that is the only reason I can see

Motorcycle Mama wrote:

... although for the life of me, I can't figure out why you would need a card that big with the Zumo.

I guess for music, that is the only reason I can see. However, I never put that much music on my sd card. But my coworker wants ALL his music on his ipod (where I would only want a selected few)so he has 20 GBs worth of stuff on his ipod.

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

.

But the firmware will only read 1000 songs no matter how many you put on there, so it seems pointless to me.

Max SD Card Size... Depends Who You Ask

Garmin seems to never include this answer in their specs or user manual, so I went to their web site FAQ and it wasn't there either. At least not for the Zumo.

So I tried Google. I found conflicting, unofficial information. One owner said Garmin Support told him in an email that 2GB was the limit. A poster in another forum said 4GB worked for him.

Sounds like we need an actual Zumo owner who has tried specific SD card sizes, or you may need to contact Garmin Support directly and ask them.

I bought a 4GB for my Nuvi, loaded over 240 music files on it so far and its not even 1/4 full.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Zumo 450 & 550 "SDHC" Compatible?

Thanks MM for the timely response.
Tourist

Nuvi 660

I know, it's not a Zumo, but I have almost 500 songs on one SD 4gb card, but my 660 only reads 247. sad Weird!!

--
Rodney.. oditius.htc@gmail.com BMW Zumo 550 HTC Touch Pro - Garmin XT

Huh?

Gary A wrote:

...
Sounds like we need an actual Zumo owner who has tried specific SD card sizes, or you may need to contact Garmin Support directly and ask them.
...

[raising hand]

Umm ... I did just that in my post.

Was there something that wasn't clear?

you might have...

Motorcycle Mama wrote:
Gary A wrote:

...
Sounds like we need an actual Zumo owner who has tried specific SD card sizes, or you may need to contact Garmin Support directly and ask them.
...

[raising hand]

Umm ... I did just that in my post.

Was there something that wasn't clear?

left out the fact that you owned a Zumo. rolleyes

--
Rodney.. oditius.htc@gmail.com BMW Zumo 550 HTC Touch Pro - Garmin XT

.

I figured by now in reading my posts that that fact was fairly evident. And it's listed in my profile. smile

Plus the support for SDHC is listed in the firmware history. So it's a given that 4GB is supported.

If anyone needs more clarification, my CV on the subject can be found here.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

smile

1000 songs

I didn't know that, that is good to know, thanks

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

Funnin'

Oditius wrote:
Motorcycle Mama wrote:
Gary A wrote:

...
Sounds like we need an actual Zumo owner who has tried specific SD card sizes, or you may need to contact Garmin Support directly and ask them.
...

[raising hand]

Umm ... I did just that in my post.

Was there something that wasn't clear?

left out the fact that you owned a Zumo. rolleyes

I think MM is just having some fun. Gary posted 18 minutes after her, but with all the website checking he was doing, I'm sure he started his reply before her post showed up. Happens often -- MM has all the answers and types too fast.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Zumo 550 SDHC card

I just installed a 16GB Adata SDHC Turbo class 6 card and it works great with about 10GB of MP3's and the 2011 map image file installed. Takes about 90 seconds to boot up with 954 songs.