Toyota USA POI file has an error

 

I was using the Toyota USA POI file today when I tried to go to the Cerritos Toyota (California)location using my NUVI. I know how to get there, but wanted to use my my NUVI for the heck of it. I followed the directions, but it led me to a residential area several blocks away.
When I returned home, I checked the coordinates, and they are different from those listed on the geocoder.us website (see note at the bottom of the page). I updated my copy of the POI file, but am unsure if I did it correctly.

I am providing the coordinates for others to correct their files if they want. I will also upload the changed file if it is okay with the original creator (Perrdom).

Here are the coordinates per geocoder.us:
33.861547, -118.099589

(note: I used several other sites to find the longitude and latitude coordinates, and they are all slightly different. I selected the geocoder.us coordinates, but I am not sure which site is the most accurate. If anyone knows which website is the most accurate, I would greatly appreciate their input.)

Toyota

For the address shown in the poi file, Garmin indicates it is:

-118.09951, 33.86192

RayHff wrote: For the

RayHff wrote:

For the address shown in the poi file, Garmin indicates it is:

-118.09951, 33.86192

Per the file I downloaded on this page:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6065

the Cerritos Toyota coordinates are:

-118.07 33.868

Perhaps we are talking about two different files? If not, then I am a little confused.

You might want to use Google

You might want to use Google Earth. You can type in the street address, zoom in on the sattelite photo to verify it is the dealership, and then find the exact coordinates. I have had excellent results using Google Earth and so have others. I have also used Google Earth to verify coordinates in some of my POI files after driving to these POIs just to see if the Google coordinates were in fact accurate, and they were.

Finding coordinates with address

Here is a website that will convert a street address to latitude and longitude, using four or five different sources. It's interesting to see the different results from the same address. Enjoy

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

Corrections

bloodbath wrote:
RayHff wrote:

For the address shown in the poi file, Garmin indicates it is:

-118.09951, 33.86192

Per the file I downloaded on this page:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6065

the Cerritos Toyota coordinates are:

-118.07 33.868

Perhaps we are talking about two different files? If not, then I am a little confused.

Those files were some of my first attempts at geocoding. I have learned a lot since then and I be double checking all my files. The Toyota one will be one of the first I check.

I am almost done with my Arenas and Rinks for Ontario and Quebec so I will be doing this one as soon as I can.

It may take a couple of weeks since the files I got from Toyota was in free-form but I have started to "format" it.

--
Garmin Nüvi 855 & 760, iPhone, Magellan RM860T

Thanks

Perrdom wrote:

Those files were some of my first attempts at geocoding. I have learned a lot since then and I be double checking all my files. The Toyota one will be one of the first I check.

I am almost done with my Arenas and Rinks for Ontario and Quebec so I will be doing this one as soon as I can.

It may take a couple of weeks since the files I got from Toyota was in free-form but I have started to "format" it.

I am looking forward to your updated file. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Toyota USA Updated

bloodbath wrote:
Perrdom wrote:

Those files were some of my first attempts at geocoding. I have learned a lot since then and I be double checking all my files. The Toyota one will be one of the first I check.

I am almost done with my Arenas and Rinks for Ontario and Quebec so I will be doing this one as soon as I can.

It may take a couple of weeks since the files I got from Toyota was in free-form but I have started to "format" it.

I am looking forward to your updated file. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I have re-done the Toyota files. Let me know if these look better.

--
Garmin Nüvi 855 & 760, iPhone, Magellan RM860T

Seaarching the Toyota POI File

Perrdom wrote:
bloodbath wrote:
Perrdom wrote:

Those files were some of my first attempts at geocoding. I have learned a lot since then and I be double checking all my files. The Toyota one will be one of the first I check.

I am almost done with my Arenas and Rinks for Ontario and Quebec so I will be doing this one as soon as I can.

It may take a couple of weeks since the files I got from Toyota was in free-form but I have started to "format" it.

I am looking forward to your updated file. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I have re-done the Toyota files. Let me know if these look better.

In hindsight, I should have listed the dealer names, I have only listed the name as "Toyota: CITY STATE"

--
Garmin Nüvi 855 & 760, iPhone, Magellan RM860T

Toyota USA POI File

The Toyota POI file has been updated:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6065

Updated: February 9, 2008
Entries: 1239

Updated the dealer name and some addresses.
Added the dealer's phone number to all entries.
Included Hawaii Dealers

Includes both GPX and CSV files

spider_elliott supplied me with an update to Toyota of Tri-Cities (Address and co-ordinates)

All locations were verified and most have now been geocoded to address accuracy.

--
Garmin Nüvi 855 & 760, iPhone, Magellan RM860T