Win 10's KB5005565

 

September update to Win 10 became available yesterday. It installed without incident and it didn't seem to cause any problems. Description of KB5005565 indicates it's no big deal.

September 14, 2021—KB5005565 (OS Builds 19041.1237, 19042.1237, and 19043.1237)

Phil

--
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."

Update

Yes got it today

Install failed

Install failed for me. Will have to peruse log file to find problem.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Try the Windows built in troubleshooter

metricman wrote:

Install failed for me. Will have to peruse log file to find problem.

Try the update troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + I, to open Windows Settings
2. Click Update & Security, then Troubleshoot.
3. Down near the bottom of the screen click on "Additional Troubleshooters"

After a few seconds for the list to build, select "Windows Update". On my Win 10 it is the 4th item from the top.

After running the troubleshooter, reboot and reattempt to do the update.

--
John from PA

Troubleshooter failed to solve problem

John from PA wrote:
metricman wrote:

Install failed for me. Will have to peruse log file to find problem.

Try the update troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + I, to open Windows Settings
2. Click Update & Security, then Troubleshoot.
3. Down near the bottom of the screen click on "Additional Troubleshooters"

After a few seconds for the list to build, select "Windows Update". On my Win 10 it is the 4th item from the top.

After running the troubleshooter, reboot and reattempt to do the update.

The troubleshooter failed to solve the problem. Ran it several times and each time it said it changed something. Update would still not install.

This happened to me last year and after 2 weeks or so, the install worked without any intervention.

I am very disappointed in Windows.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

My Win 10 updates fail

85%+ of the time ... I just hate Windows.

Mine work...

mr55 wrote:

85%+ of the time ... I just hate Windows.

Yours fail 85% of the time? Mine work 100% of the time. Just sayin'.

Phil

--
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."

I too have no luck

to update one of my laptops. Tried everything known to man and even went into Microsofts Update catalogue site and downloaded a standalone KB5005565,that failed too!!!

Link:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB500...

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

why haven't you changed to

mr55 wrote:

85%+ of the time ... I just hate Windows.

why haven't you changed to Linux or Mac if you hate Windows?

Linux

ruggb wrote:

why haven't you changed to Linux or Mac if you hate Windows?

Just recently I thought I'd try Linux. 2 versions I found run from a CD the others need to be installed.

In the distant past I was quite familiar with the DOS system but am forgetting a lot of it.

What I found with linux is you have to relearn everything sll over. I think I may have managed to download a couple of programs but found no way to install them. No easy way to install another program without having to jump through hoops.
I'll just say that I'm way too old to learn something again.

In Windows all you do is click on the install or "exe" file and the program installs itself.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

CDs may be re-writable but aren't real read/write devices.

Melaqueman wrote:

...
I think I may have managed to download a couple of programs but found no way to install them. No easy way to install another program without having to jump through hoops.
I'll just say that I'm way too old to learn something again.

In Windows all you do is click on the install or "exe" file and the program installs itself.

CDs may be re-writable but aren't real read/write devices. To install e.g. a program you'll need to write the program to the OS's device, the CD.

Ubuntu

Melaqueman wrote:
ruggb wrote:

why haven't you changed to Linux or Mac if you hate Windows?

Just recently I thought I'd try Linux. 2 versions I found run from a CD the others need to be installed.

In the distant past I was quite familiar with the DOS system but am forgetting a lot of it.

What I found with linux is you have to relearn everything sll over. I think I may have managed to download a couple of programs but found no way to install them. No easy way to install another program without having to jump through hoops.
I'll just say that I'm way too old to learn something again.

In Windows all you do is click on the install or "exe" file and the program installs itself.

Ubuntu is a good Linux version. They have a very large library of most popular programs already packaged to download with the same ease as Windows. In fact, depending on the Display choices you make, you will find it as easy as Windows use and very similar in looks. You can try it out running from a CD, but to get the most utility, it needs to run from the Hard Drive. It can be installed to your computer and dual boot to Windows or to Ubuntu.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Dual Boot

KB5005565 and KB5005611

I am a month late all the time because I pause Windows Update for up to 35 days before updating. Today I updated to KB5005565. On one of my identical Windows 10 Pro x64 PCs the update failed. The troubleshooter (2x) failed to fix it. There was nothing wrong in Device Manager.

An official post on the Microsoft site on 9/30/21 said that KB5005565 had been superseded by KB5005611, formerly the optional feature upgrade 21H1. They said it had extensive bug fixes.

What fixed the problem was the Windows 10 Update Assistant:

www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

This is the same as a manual download except it is supervised by an app. It took a long time and restarted eight times, but in the end the PC had 21H1, was updated , and worked fine!

metricman, try this!

dobs108 grin

Oddly enough

My older Gateway was able to install KB5005565 but not my newer Dell.
So I'll try dobs108's suggestion for KB5005611and I'm downloading it from MS catalogue website as a stand alone version.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

dobs108

Drove me nuts, update told me I already have KB5005611 but it was not easily visible. Had to go into the download history deeper to find it.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Don't need KB5005565

Melaqueman wrote:

Drove me nuts, update told me I already have KB5005611 but it was not easily visible. Had to go into the download history deeper to find it.

That means you don't need KB5005565.

dobs108 smile