Custom Polygons on the Map

 

Is there a way to create custom polygons on the map much like you see for parks, cemeteries, and golf courses? What I want to do is create habitat overlays for when I'm using it for bird watching

Interesting Question

I've always wondered about that as well.

Direct Routing

I would create a route using Direct Routing. This way the lines are straight, you can create any shape polygon you want. And you can select the weight and color of the lines.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone 6 w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

JaVaWa

You might find this useful as you can create transparent overlays http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Beware

sussamb wrote:

You might find this useful as you can create transparent overlays http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

The owner/author of JaVaWa products is rather seriously ill, and maintenance and support for any of his products will be very unreliable, if at all.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone 6 w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

And single line polygons............

Instead of a single point POI I would have liked to make single line polygons to mark the length of the road in a school zone / playground zone.. Ideally then, to be only visible as you approach them and an option for an audible alarm..

--
Lives in Edmonton AB A volunteer driver for Drive Happiness.ca and uses a 2689 to find my way.

Yep ...

diesel wrote:
sussamb wrote:

You might find this useful as you can create transparent overlays http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

The owner/author of JaVaWa products is rather seriously ill, and maintenance and support for any of his products will be very unreliable, if at all.

True but most of them work 'as is' so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Huh..

I'm sure there has to be some way?

Use Basecamp

If you are using a handheld GPS, you can create a track in Basecamp outlining the desired area. Tracks can be drawn freehand or by using straight point to point lines to create a polygon. Then export the track file to your handheld device.

Unfortunately, most automotive GPSr's do not support the track function.

Create a transparent overlay map

dsarkozi wrote:

Is there a way to create custom polygons on the map much like you see for parks, cemeteries, and golf courses? What I want to do is create habitat overlays for when I'm using it for bird watching

You could create a "transparent" map overlay with the polygons for the Garmin map that you are using. The features (roads, polygons, structures, etc.) of both maps will display simultaneously.

There exist a few alternatives. I mocked with GPSMpaEdit & cGPSmapper (free) for creating/editing Royalty-free Garmin Maps, such as the OpenStreet Maps awhile back. The learning curve is steep and the retention period is short (for me).

The best source for getting started is Malsingmaps, a Garmin Mapping User Group in Singapore/Malaysia.

Malsing Maps
http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/

Newies Pitstop
http://malsingmaps.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Newbies_Pit...

and go to the

Mapping Reference
http://malsingmaps.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mapping_Ref...

It contains details of how to add new basic objects, such as points, polylines and polygons and how to create new Garmin maps.

Happy Garming Mapping.